[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do you guys think of 6.5 Grendel? Is it a meme caliber

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 3

What do you guys think of 6.5 Grendel?

Is it a meme caliber like .300 Memeout? It sounds like a pretty good intermediate caliber balistically. Im in the middle of a nicer AR build for longer range and Im on the fence about leaving it as 5.56 or maybe trying out the 6.5.

Is it worth it? It looks like even reloading it is kind of expensive. If I go 5.56 Im using an 18 inch 1/8 or 1/7 twist barrel so I should be able to throw 77gr out of it and still not be out as much.
>>
>Is seriously considering 6.5 as anything other than a meme
>Implying the vastly more popular .300blk is somehow a higher tier of meme than 6.5 anything.
>>
>>31582847
I tend to see much greater ranges than 300blk is typically used for.

Also I lile more ft lbs.
>>
>>31582905
It does what it's supposed to do and factory ammunition is available. You'll need to change your bolt, too, though. I don't know if you have to change magazines, but I think you might.

Blackout isn't really a meme, either. It's not meant to be a long range cartridge. It's meant to switch seamlessly from supersonic to subsonic with nothing more than a magazine change and attaching a suppressor.
>>
>>31583824
.300BLK is perfectly fine in that regard. It's just a meme in the sense that civilians think they need to have it. It does it's job well, but pretty much no one outside of special forces is really going to need it, and a lot of the concessions they make to practicality in the name of having an operator round are just stupid. It's sort of like trying to use the Mk23 as a carry gun, or a .50BMG hunting rifle - you could, but there are a ton of disadvantages, and the advantages it gives are pointless for your role.
>>
A dying meme.
>>
>>31582826
Everything that is not 762 or 556/223 is a meme round
>>
6.5 Grendel is a great way to turn an AR-15 into a DMR or a better hunting rifle, but I already have a .308 for that so I don't give a fuck.
>>
>>31583966
There are practical benefits to suppression for the end use consumer. Having a round that can function well suppressed, in a short barrel, and is adequate in some hunting applications while slotting into one of the most prevalent weapons platforms in North America makes a lot of sense.
>>
>>31582826
>What do you guys think of 6.5 Grendel?
It is the "best" round you can fire in the AR-15 platform, especially for long range.

>Is it worth it?
No. In terms of target shooting the heavy, high BC loads of .223 are fine and if you're hunting long range you should step up to the .308 class rounds or magnums. If there's some weird long range competition that requires an AR-15, but lets you use any cartridge, then 6.5G is the answer.

If by longer range you mean 500 yards or a touch over then 5.56 is fine. If for some reason you want to go to 1000 with an AR-15 then 6.5 lets you do that.

Just as a heads up if you do go Grendel, Privi recalled all ammo and brass for the caliber, so no Privi and no Wolf Gold.
>>
For long range shooting out of an AR15 magwell, the best choice available if you require factory ammo.

5.56 still beats it out for a self defense round due to reduced recoil and training costs.

It's lack of factory hunting loads and it's inability to keep above 2000fps past 200m out of a carbine rifle means that it did not unseat the 6.8 as the better hunting choice for an AR15.

If you're wildcatting, the .243 WSSM kicks the snot out of it in both hunting and distance shooting due to increased powder charge.
>>
>>31584778
Great. Quality post anon
>>
File: download_20161005_134631.jpg (60KB, 622x494px) Image search: [Google]
download_20161005_134631.jpg
60KB, 622x494px
Only time I've ever heard it mentioned irl was when some slav wearing jackboots and reeking of BO asked if they had some tacticool bolt action at the Cabelas counter chambered in it. They said no and stinky guy left.

Walked away from a Yugo SKS with accessories for 179.99 that day because I didn't know shit about guns and was still living with parents.
>>
>>31582826
Everyone, tell me what to think because I'm too lazy to look up ballistics, cost, or availability, and too dumb to think about how a round's properties relate to the job I intend to do with it.
>>
>>31582826
Look, asshole, .300BLK is here to stay.

It's modern .30 carbine.
>>
>>31586313
If it was a bolt action it was probably a 6.5 Creedmoor, which is a necked down .308 and a better case can be made for choosing it over .308.
>>
>>31584247
I'm not saying it doesn't have use, I'm just say that the great majority of its users don't actually need that functionality, and in most cases chose .300BLK because "it's what the operators use."
>>
>>31583966
.300 blk is better for deer than 5.56 and requires only an upper change. For me it makes more sense to have a .300 blk upper I can use with my lower (which has a nice trigger upgrade) and AR accessories than it does to have a whole dedicated durr gun of mediocre quality for the same price.
>>
>>31586432
It's a common and understandable thought and I think that's been a bigger market for .300 blk than OPERATOR folk.

>counterpoint:
Besides weight\ handling of a normal deer rifle just being better for hunting it's incredibly liberating to have basically no money in a POS axis or similar that you can throw out of a tree without giving a fuck.

>even less popular counterpoint
.223 is fine for deer, use decent ammo and don't take\ make shitty shots.
>>
>>31583966
What a terrible write up, and that "need".
The civilian market is THE place where people can buy shit that fits their wants and needs without a fuckton of bullshit to get or approved. It's great short barrels which are super popular and would be the norm of not for federal law, it's a good hunting round and it uses mostly standard 5.56 parts.

For civies the suppression is just a bonus. 6.8spc was literally designed for sf and isn't as popular but is almost exclusively a hunting round now. 9mm, .45acp, 30-06, 5.56 etc etc same shit
>>
>>31586342
Yes.
A very expensive, overpriced 7.62x39
>>
>>31582826
6.5 grendel is one of my favorites.
Would love to have one in a high quality ak rifle.
>>
>>31586342
>It's modern .30 carbine.
At the lower end of its bullet weights [120-130g], I think it lines up very closely with 7.92x33.
>>
>>31586819
>expensive and overpriced
Protip: being relatively new and not subject to nationwide adoption by law enforcement or the military or otherwise manufacturer in massive quantities for 60 years in some shithole country doesnt make it overpriced. It's not fucking surplus, rimfire or contract overrun. Your world view is just retarded
>>
>>31582826
>What do you guys think of 6.5 Grendel?
It's a nicely performing caliber, with an unfortunate flaw which will render it entirely unfit for service in any military.

The slope on the shoulder of the case is so steep that it creates the logistical problems of poor space efficiency for transport, and weaker structure resulting in more damage in handling.

It also creates functional issues, it's much more likely to cause a failure to feed in ideal conditions, and in non-ideal conditions it's even more likely to fail to feed.

If you want to build a long-range AR, stick with 5.56. The whole point of ARs is to be reliable, and to accept commonly-available ammo.

>Is it a meme caliber like .300 Memeout?
300 blackout is one of the most versatile calibers there is. The shape is more mechanically advantageous than 6.5 Grendel in terms of storing, handling, cycling etc. and it can be loaded with a wide variety of bullet weights.
>>
>>31586976
The point is it offers no advantage over 7.62x39. It exists solely for the purpose of selling expensive shit to tacticool morons.
>>
>>31587090
It runs better suppressed than 7.62x39 and runs in the AR15 platform with just a barrel change. That's why it's popular.
>>
>>31587090
You don't know what you're talking about.

You might look at ballistic charts, you might look at muzzle energy, you might look at performance at different ranges, but you still have no idea what makes a caliber superior.

It's everything to do with possible applications, and 300 blackout has far more possible applications than 7.62x39. Not only that, the domestic manufacturing infrastructure already exists for 300 blackout, in a way that will never be true for 7.62x39.
>>
>>31586979
>300 blackout is one of the most versatile calibers there is.
So versatile it's useless at mid to long range.

Stop hyping it up, this is why people call it a meme. It's good for suppressing and short range work but that does not make it highly versatile.
>>
>>31586828
I just ordered a Vepr to shoot 6.5 meme at 28 cents a pop.

Will I regret it?
>>
I have ar-15 with sabre upper that shoot 6.5 grendal.

I used it to hunt coyote at the ranch i work at.

it's awesome and better punch.
>>
The AR's bolt face design doesn't like fatter cartridges. You'll likely break bolts with more frequency like 7.62 Soviet ARs do. Whether you think that increased frequency is worth concerning yourself about is up to you.

As far as utility, it's not my cup of tea for a "modern sporting rifle." My preference is as compact as possible while still retaining the ability to hit with good effect any target I can identify without magnification. To get the most out of cartridges designed for ballistic efficiency, you need to add weight through barrel length and magnified optics. Once you make that commitment, you may as well graduate from intermediate cartridges altogether.
>>
>>31583966
>It's just a meme in the sense that civilians think they need to have it.
>what is hunting
>what is home defense

and to adress the rest of your incomprehensible bullshit: you don't know what the fuck you're talking about.
>>
>>31583966
>It's just a meme in the sense that civilians think they need to have it.
>what is hunting
>what is home defense

and to adress the rest of your incomprehensible bullshit: you don't know what the fuck you're talking about.
>>
>>31583966

.300memeout is utter and complete fail, its 7.6x39 but worse in every way.
>>
>>31588077
Its not even that there is a 7.62x40 that's a ballistic copy of 7.62x39 for ar15 type rifles 7.62x35aka.300blacked is slightly worse than ak food but is easier to reload for because it uses .308 projectiles instead of .312.
>>
>>31582847

.300 memeout is on the the most useless pieces of shit ever created.

>shit ballistics
>more expensive than .308(inb4 lol just reload!)
>does nothing 7.62x39 can't

You have to hate money or be mentally handicap to fall for that bullshit.
>>
6.5 Grendel is focking awsum and in no way a meme. I shot a buddy's AR in 6.5 grendel, shooting some 120gr match bullets. I put 6 shots into a 5.5" group @ 600 yards, I shit you not. It was a 24" quality AR though.
>>
>>31588124

>shit ballistics
nigga out of a 10.5 barrel, what the hell you expect?

>more expensive than .308
apples and oranges, wolf .308 could be cheaper than 220grn .300. depends where you shop. not gonna pull the poor-fag card tho.

>does nothing 7.62x39 cant
runs in a ar platform.

built my .300 to be suppressed. to plink id stick with 556 but .300 is neat.
>>
File: helping retards.jpg (50KB, 465x465px) Image search: [Google]
helping retards.jpg
50KB, 465x465px
>>31586819
>>31586819
>>31587090
>>31588077
>>31588124
Do you even own guns?

Holy shit kiddo, if the "it gives you AK performance in an AR just by swapping the upper" point hasn't sunk in by now then I'm sorry there skippy but it looks like you're actually retarded. It runs great suppressed too, better than the 7.62x39mm and on top of that it really isn't that expensive. if you're unable to afford something a bit more pricier than .308 then you're in the wrong hobby, go collect stamps or something else that you can do on a fifty dollar budget.
>>
>>31582826
6.5 Cased? No
6.5 Telescoped? Yes
>>
>>31588230
>6.5 Telescoped
CT ammo doesn't even exist outside some mad scientist's lab. Might as well go G11 caseless then
>>
The best 6.5 bullet is still 6.5 Creedmor, gottverdammt that's a cool round.
>>
i like it. plan to build a 16" or 18" barreled grendel eventually, saving up for some cans now tho. you get performance that's pretty close to the typical 150-175gr loadings of a .308 but in the lighter and more compact ar-15 sized package. for me it's a great general purpose rifle. reasonably light, semiauto, decent mid-range capabilities with more punch than a 223, hornady match ammo, wolf for plinking, and that sweet sweet lapua brass for reloads. plus i've already got thousands of various lighter to medium weight 6.5mm pills laying around that i've no use for since i just shoot 143's exclusively in my 6.5 swede now.
>>
>>31582826

Eh I wouldn't go for it.

>want a good intermediate cartridge for cheap?
5.56x45/.223

>want a good long range round with flat trajectory?
6.5mm Creedmore

>want a round with good subsonic/suppressed capabilities?
.300 Blackout

I mean, 6.5 Grendel has its niche I'm sure, but if you're looking for specific qualities, there are better rounds.
>>
>>31582826
It gives you almost .308 accuracy, with the recoil of an ak47.
I've found 6.5 grendel for less than .30c per round, so I'd recommend it!
>>
>>31588270
LSAT
>>
Should replace 7.62x51
>>
>>31588209
>cant afford hobby?
>go collect stamps
>NFA stamps
:^)
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.