[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Full disclosure: I've never owned or shot a real firearm,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 6

File: home defense.jpg (78KB, 400x258px) Image search: [Google]
home defense.jpg
78KB, 400x258px
Full disclosure: I've never owned or shot a real firearm, but not as some anti-gun ideological principle, I just never got around to it.

Long story short, I work overnights, my wife and I are expecting soon, but there have been an increasing amount of daytime burglaries and night-time property thefts occurring in our area. This isn't terribly problematic, and we were going to just have our dog (German Shepherd) be our big "line of defense". Apparently our local PD has confiscated illegal firearms from gang members arrested in our local region though, and while there have yet to be any recent violent attacks against homeowners involving firearms in our area, we don't want to risk the possibility of being the first example.

We are going to get a firearm for home defense, as well as training at a local gun range. We've both been studying here and there what makes a home defense weapon viable and helpful, and we're undecided on what exactly we're gonna go for.
Some of the guns we're currently looking at (along with pros [+] and cons [-]) are:
• FNH PS90
[+] Cheapest gun of the three we're looking at.
[+] Low weight, at just 6 pounds
[+] The 5.7x28 supposedly has good stopping power and low recoil.
[+] The cartridge is interchangeable with the Five seveN pistol if we decide to get concealed carry permits later on.
[-] The ammunition is expensive.
[-] Seems kind of long (38 inches) and bulky.

• Sig Sauer MPX
[+] Short total length, so it's not quite as bulky as the PS90.
[+] The 9x19mm ammunition is definitely a lot cheaper.
[-] Heaviest of the three.
[-] Most expensive gun of the three.
[-] Is 9x19mm powerful enough to stop an aggressive intruder?
• Beretta ARX100
[+/-] Lighter than MPX, heavier than PS90.
[+/-] Shorter than PS90, longer than MPX.
[+/-] Not as expensive as the MPX, more expensive than the PS90.
[+] 5.56x45mm ammunition is not too expensive, and is the most "powerful" of the three.
All input welcome!
>>
>>31575613
Don't know, but I wanna find out what /k/ thinks too.
>>
File: RDB_left_DSC1572web.jpg (57KB, 640x253px) Image search: [Google]
RDB_left_DSC1572web.jpg
57KB, 640x253px
Ditch all that shit for one of these and I'll tell you why.

>Lightweight at 7lbs
>well balanced, easily held and operated with one hand
>incredibly compact (~27")
>completely ambidextrous, should that ever be needed
>chambered in a round that is not only far better at stopping threats than pistol rounds, but has less overpenetration risks as well
>relatively cheap, can be had for ~1100

I don't own one. I'm not a shill for keltec. But I believe they're currently the objective best choice for home defense on the current market.

The Tavor and X95 are great too, but heavier and more expensive.
>>
Also, regarding the PS90.

5.7 is about $0.30 cents per round on a good day, not expensive at all.
Also not particularly good at killing people, but that's why you get 50 of them.
The Five seveN is not a good pistol for concealed carry, period.
They're not bulky in the slightest, they're one of if not the most compact bullpups that exist. Also, only 26" long, where'd you get 38?
>>
File: 700.hq.jpg (49KB, 1400x1060px) Image search: [Google]
700.hq.jpg
49KB, 1400x1060px
>>31575694
>>
>>31575694
That's a Kel-Tec RFB, right?

>>31575719
Cabela's store representative. Like I said, I'm definitely new to all this.
>>
You'd be better off with an AR-15 with a 16" barrel (Or 14.5" pinned and welded) from a quality manufacturer (so, pretty much not anything most people on /k/ will recommend as "good enough") than any of these options, if you're opting for a long gun.
You should also consider a handgun as it is much easier to maneuver with through doorways and hallways, open doors, etc.

Either way, whatever you choose should have a weapon mounted light just in case.
>>
File: 1449204362700.jpg (48KB, 469x505px) Image search: [Google]
1449204362700.jpg
48KB, 469x505px
Get a quality AR15 (BCM or something), an aimpoint, and a good light (surefire or streamlight). Spend the rest on shooting as much as you can. There's nothing wrong with the ones you picked, but the AR is simply better.
>>
>>31575694
also AUG
>>
>>31575737
The RFB is the .308 model and is a little iffy, I'd stay away from them. That one is the RDB which is chambered in 5.56.
>>
>>31575613
one thing to consider, the five seven pistol is very large and your wife will want to have a pistol that fits her, and what fits her will likely be half the size of a five seven.

I think the PS90 is a well suited gun for home defense and so on, and the five seven is a neat pistol. nothing wrong with either of them but just keep that in mind, buying a pistol for CC is like trying on shoes. TLDR once she gets a pistol you will likely add another caliber anyway that is not a big deal.
>>
>>31575741
This. You don't need to spend a ton for a bullpup. You're better off with a common, reliable system with readily available parts and accessories.
>>
>>31575772
$1000 isn't a ton.
>>
So from what I'm gathering, the consensus seems to be that the AR-15 platform is really going to be a better platform anyway, and that my wife will need a smaller handgun if she gets her concealed carry license.

If that's the case, is there a particular manufacturer who's AR-15's are more reliable / more affordable / somehow superior to the others, and also, what would you guys recommend for some ideas for pistols for my wife?

Thanks for all the feedback, by the way. We appreciate this a lot.
>>
>>31575613
Crime on the rise means that it's only a matter of time before a cop has to shoot a dindu and the riots start

Arm yourself now before they take this bitch's advice https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FnCnCl1dCU
>>
>>31575613
wat
Just buy an AR, CX4, Or even a hipoint carbine. You're paying far too much for no increase in performance. Use the savings to buy spare guns, more ammo, and range time.
>>
>>31575613
another thing OP - if you can, possibly, at all, somehow, get your mitts on a few rifles and a 12 gauge shotgun and a couple pistols and get your feet wet. you will find out for starters what you like and what you dislike. (and especially this for your wife).
If you get something based on research and find out later it just didn't quite fit your application or personality - although all of the guns you mentioned are fine, this is the sort of thing that if you possibly can, try before you buy, or at least try some common rifles/pistols if you know anyone that would spend an afternoon with you and your wife and let you guys try some out. I would be happy to if I was close to you but I doubt I am, I'm in IA
>>
>>31575794
>that my wife will need a smaller handgun if she gets her concealed carry license.
No. Women tend to prefer LARGER guns, so long as it fits in the hand. Recoil is easier with a heavier pistol, and they're less shitty about limpwristing.

If you do want a small pistol, i'd reccomend a beretta pico.
Mostly because i'm wearing one right now.
>>
>>31575794
On and get good mags for the AR, Lancers would be my top pick but pmags are good, and some of the aluminum ones are quality as well, just do some research
>>
>>31575802
please do not buy a hi point carbine OP

buying cheap and spending the savings on ammo is questionable advice when your life depends on it.
>>
>>31575794
LC9S Pro or the M&P Shield 9 are good for 9mm autos. LCR and S&W .38 Bodyguard are good for revolvers.

But there are dozens of other choices that will be just as well.
>>
>>31575821
thanks for the stupid generalization that makes little sense.
>>
>>31575794
The AR all depends on your budget. Build one to your liking, or get a good pre-build.

Good prebuilt models are the S&W M&P Sport II, Ruger 556, FN 15, colt 6920, and anything daniel defense.
>>
man this is ridiculous, these responses.

Look dude. Heres what you should get

Pistol:
Glock 17 or 19
Beretta 92
CZ-75b
really just about anything hi capacity, from a decent manufacturer. If you want a revolver, buy a Model 66 S&W, or an R8

or,
buy a shotgun
>Mossberg 500 or Maverick 88
>Remington 870
easy to use, easy to feed, can use as a club, customizable, can add a light, use buck #04 shot, and itll take down anything breaking in. You have limited shots however, but I doubt that any burgular is going to engage after narrowing avoiding his arm being blown off.

the pragmatic choice would be a Carbine
>AR-15, AK74 pattern, Tavor, etc
high capacity, powerful rounds, ease to get follow up shots, can attach a light, may be annoying in tight spaces, but so would a shotgun.

Truthfully I already know a rifle or shotgun seems out of the question, so if you're going to ignore advice to buy a long gun, at least buy a decent pistol. Buy something in 9mm or .45acp, high capacity, and maybe something you can attach a light to. if you want a revolver, buy something in .38spl or .357mag. Rossi, S&W, and Ruger make good revolvers. Glock, CZ, S&W, Sig, Beretta, FN, and so on, all make good semi automatic pistols.

be reasonable, and think ahead. You're gonna have to buy ammo for this thing, and shoot it eventually.
>>
>>31575794

Go to a LGS and have her handle some, you will find out quickly that she hates some of them and likes others. Move on from there with handling, performance, recoil and so on and narrow your choices.

Trust me on this. Do not buy her one based on pros and cons and relative size and so on, unless she has held it in her hand first.

She needs to have a large part in the purchase so she feels like it is -her- gun. you can help shape her opinion based on specs and so on.
>>
>>31575900
>man this is ridiculous, these responses.

>posts ridiculous response
>>
>>31575613

>PS90
meme gun, offers little to no benefit over an AR

>MPX
good choice, 9mm is powerful enough, but will actually penetrate more walls than 5.56, important if you have family

>Beretta
these are supposed to be decent guns, but again, offers no real benefit over an AR

basically, if you want a 5.56 get an AR

if you want a 9mm, MPX is a good choice
>>
>>31575866
>weaker person likes less recoil
>heavier pistols have less felt recoil for the same action and caliber
This is not complicated.
>>
>>31575694
>I'm not a shill for keltec

Yes you are
>>
from your own pro/con list, the FNH would probably be your best option as it has the most positive aspects.

hate to be that guy, but have you considered a handgun or shotgun? you can pick up a quality handgun for ~$500USD in a common caliber (9mm, 40s&w, .380, etc.). provided you don't live in a cuck state, there's not really any additional hoops to jump through for a handgun, unless you want to pursue a CWP.
you can get a decent 12 gauge shotgun for well under $500USD, 0000 buckshot is a decent defense load and you have some built-in aim compensation with shot vs. slugs
>>
<PART ONE>
OP,

Coming from a concealed carry/Law Enforcement background, if I can have a little bit of a soapbox here, I'd appreciate you reading through this comment.

First off, you stated you're brand new to firearms. That's cool, I think you'll love what they have to offer for your safety (as long as YOU are safe with THEM, of course).

That said, please let me recommend that you start small and work your way up.

Before I get into my recommendations, let me address the term "stopping power" for a moment, as nobody else has done so as of yet (that I saw, anyway):
"Stopping power" in regards to caliber, especially pistol caliber, is a pretty big myth. Let me explain why: All a bullet does is poke a hole. Sure, there's differences in kinetic energy between calibers, but I'm going to tell you straight up that it's not going to make a goddamn difference what you're shooting a target with AS LONG AS you're good at shooting that target in their largest body mass (read: the chest/torso). What matters, for the most part, is that you're hitting the target's CNS (Central Nervous System) and shutting it down (which stops motion or activity from the target), or at least causing a psychological stop due to amount of pain.

//ONE IMPORTANT NOTE//
For legal reasons, DO NOT use ball point (standard) ammunition in a defense firearm. Especially in 9mm, because of its velocity, it is likely to overpenetrate your target and hit something behind them (which is bad, because you as a gun owner are responsible for the damage caused by your firearm). PLEASE, USE HOLLOW POINT AMMUNITION FOR YOUR DEFENSE ROUNDS. This will prevent overpenetration, for one, and also ensure that when you hit your target, the kinetic energy is dispersed with maximum effect (read: more damage to target's organs and central nervous system), which is therefore more likely to stop the target sooner.

<END OF PART 1>
>>
<PART TWO>
I've said enough on that point, so here's some further reading if you're interested:
http://www.policemag.com/channel/weapons/articles/2013/01/stopping-power-myths-legends-and-realities.aspx

Now, let's take a look at some practical applications. Given that you live (so far) in a low to moderate-threat area, consider getting a pistol first instead of a rifle. Pistols are generally more approachable, require less time to get on target, and are more easily stored in concealment, especially around kids.

My personal recommendation? A Glock, chambered in 9mm, if you plan to carry it around the house openly or will conceal it in a piece of furniture. 15 rounds per mag with larger mags available easily if you need them. VERY stable and legendarily reliable pistol Plus, it's about $500 and it's got a lot of customization options, including holsters, etc., because the pistol is so common.

If you're going to conceal your firearm on your person while you're at home (or out and about, with a CPL), there are a lot of options. Glock 43, S&W MP Shield, etc.. My personal favorite is the Springfield Armory XD-S, because it's chambered in 9mm (cheap ammo, low recoil), it's got some passive safeties on it (good for kids) and low felt recoil because it has what we call a low "bore axis"; that is, the bore sits lower in the gun and so there is less recoil because more of the energy is travelling backward into our arms when we fire, rather than driving the gun upward.

Either way, find a range that will rent you a gun for a few hours. Put 100 rounds through it, then try the next one. Shoot until you find something you and your wife can shoot well and that you like.

That's all, folks. I'll monitor this thread in case anyone has questions.

Peace.
>>
>>31576756
>LE
Yes this is all nice but
Why do you hate dogs?
>>
>>31575694
ive seen them listed for 830. theoretically the rdb is a great option however i would recommend staying away from them for at least half a year. keltec hasnt been putting that many of them out in the market till recently so its probably still in its early generations, id wait a bit on the rdb so all the kinks get worked out. the ksg and rfb were really wonky and unreliable at times in their first generation, afterwards though the later models were fixed and theyre now pretty good/great guns
>>
>>31576765
Sorry, not catching why you're asking, as I've never mentioned dogs in my post. Can you clarify?
>>
>>31576791
You know why.
>>
>>31576795
I think I get what you're asking, but I'd rather not get into a pissing match about dogs and/or why they're considered credible threats to LE. Recommend starting a new thread if you're going to ask that, but I'm gonna keep stuff on topic for OP's post.
>>
>>31576813
>small dog on chain
>credible threat
Only to my snacks.
>>
>>31575929
>Beretta
>No real benefit over an AR
I'm going to have to disagree
It's fully ambi and has a folding stock because it's a piston gun. Also it might be lighter?

I'm mean in the end it's all OPs personal preference, and 5.56 is 5.56 no matter what 16" barrel it comes out of, but there are very real benefits depending on who uses it.
>>
>>31575613
>literally never used a firearm
>clearly has lots of disposable income
get a high tier AR with ammo made to fragment or expand and passes the 12 inch test. and practice with it. dont listen to these people telling you to get a handgun because it serves no advantage unless you live in a cardboard box and rifle calibers btfo pistol calibers in every way. also dont listen to the "muh over penetration" crowd because anything that can reliable disable a persona cns is going to go through a few layers of drywall easily.
>>
>>31575613
Buy a shotgun, preferably with no stock. Pistols don't have the stopping power, submachine guns are needlessly excessive, and salt rifles and rifles overpenetrate, going through walls and potentially causing collateral and are difficult to maneuver in close quarters. Shotguns are cheap, simple and reliable, intimidating, do not overpenetrate, easier to score a hit with at close range, easy to learn how to operate, and have incredible stopping power against unarmored targets.
>>
>>31575613
Any particular reason why you aren't considering shotguns?
>>
File: Colt 6920 M4 Clone.jpg (40KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
Colt 6920 M4 Clone.jpg
40KB, 800x600px
>>31575613
Get a Colt 6920! (Bonus points if you SBR it and put a 14.5 inch barrel on her)
>>
>>31576954
+1 to shotgun recommendation. Didn't address them in my earlier writeup, but shotguns are fantastic home defense weapons. Sorry for totally overlooking them in my long-ass comment earlier.
>>
>>31575613
As you can see based on the variety of answers, this is not a simple question and getting a unanimous response is impossible. Personally, I own all three weapons you listed and this is what I think: get a pistol...a quality handgun. Don't listen to these idiots trying to get you to go ultra cheap. You don't need to buy the most expensive Guns in the world, but don't skimp when it comes to your family's safety. Go to a local range or out with gun owning friends and shoot several different models if you can. That's really the best way to determine which gun is right for you. If you're insistent on a rifle I'd go with an AR...easy to use and ubiquitous. The ARX offers no advantage over the AR and the PS90 is an odd choice for a first gun...nothing wrong with it, just not a common firearm or caliber. I actually love my MPX (and so does my wife's), but if you're not going to SBR it then I wouldn't bother. Shotguns are fine too, but they tend to intimidate in xperienced gun owners. If you are going to get one I'd recommend a Remington or moss erg 20ga youth model...they usually come with a smaller stock that I find quite appropriate for home defense.
>>
>>31577045
>"...a quality handgun"

Anon, can you clarify on what you consider 'quality'? I recommended a Glock 19 earlier for both price point and reliability. Any other brand names you'd consider quality, if not Glock? I ask because it might help OP narrow some of the answers down. For me, I'm okay with most brands except Ruger, Taurus, and the like.
>>
>>31575613
Way too much special snowflake stuff.
>PS90
Viable, but expensive.
Five-sevens aren't really ideal carry pistols.
>MPX
You're right, it is expensive.
You can also get a Kel-Tec Sub2000, a JRC (Just Right Carbine), Beretta CX4 Storm or heck even a Hi-Point carbine.
They're all blowback 9mm rifles. The market for PCCs is a lot more limited than it should be, but there are options that are under 1k.
>Beretta ARX
WHY?
Just buy a decent AR-15. There are loads of intermediate caliber semi-autos to choose from as well. AK variants, Ruger Mini-14, Kel-Tec SU-16, tons of shit.
>>31575794
There are loads of decent ARs to choose from. Daniel Defense, Colt, S&W, Ruger AR556, Windham Weaponry to name a few.

Also, shotguns are viable for home defense. Something like a Mossberg 500 is only $300 new and 1 oz of lead moving at the speed of sound as either a solid slug or pack of 00 buck will adjust anyone's attitude. I'd recommend a youth stock for the missus if she's of small stature, or perhaps even going with a 20ga youth model. 20gs isn't 12ga, but it's still no joke. We're talking about 75% of the power with almost half the recoil.
>>
>>31575613

Forget all that retarded shit and just buy an AR15.

Oh, and you might want to actually try shooting a gun before you blow a bunch of money on one.
>>
>>31577056
I just meant a tested, reliable firearm. Despite the incessant bickering about the quality of certain manufacturers, I think most popular firearm companies make decent guns...Glock, Springfield, Sig, FN, etc... I would avoid the Kel-Tecs and Hi-Points of the world. I concur with your recommendation of a Glock regarding price vs quality, but I still think a gun owners should attempt to fire as many weapons as they can before making a decision. There is obviously a huge price difference between an H&K/Sig and a Glock/XD, but if you're only going to buy one gun you should get the one that is best suited to you and that hopefully won't let you down in an emergency.
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.