[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/k/ I have some questions about ammo storage. My aunt gave

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 6

File: 192559_ts.jpg (115KB, 1154x1154px) Image search: [Google]
192559_ts.jpg
115KB, 1154x1154px
/k/

I have some questions about ammo storage.

My aunt gave me a thousand dollars gift cards to Bass Pro shops so I went out last weekend about bought several ammo cans and a shit load of rounds of .45 ACP 9mm luger and 5.56. I want to have about a thousand rounds for each of my guns in storage. I keep the bullets in their trays, which are inside the cans (pic related) and I have a fire safe which holds about 12 of these cans.

First of all, how long will ammo keep in storage before going bad? Will it go bad? Now since the rounds are in their trays I can only fit about 200 rounds of 45 ACP per can. If I were to just dump the bullets out in the tray and just fill the can up I could probably get about 500 rounds maybe more in there. If I do this will the bullets have a shorter shelf life than if I leave them in their plastic trays?

tl;dr: what is the best way to store mass amounts of ammunition?
>>
>>31555772
Pic 2/2

This is how I have my ammo stored in the ammo cans. It takes up a lot of space by keeping them in these trays. Should I just dump all the brass right in the can and discard the tray or do these trays actually protect the rounds from corrosion or whatever?
>>
>>31555772
I have shoot ammo that was made 60-70rs earlier and was stored in unknown (probably questionable) conditions.
Keeping it in ammo cans and using a first in first out rotation should basically guarantee your ammo will outlast you.
>>
File: 1395970208186.jpg (371KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1395970208186.jpg
371KB, 1000x1000px
>>31555787
>>31555772
those trays are only to make selling them in a rectangular box easier. Dump that shit in. I have those plastic ammo cans and i can fit 600 5.56 in one or 300 7.62x54r.

And about the shelf life of ammo, keeping it in a dry, room temperature area it shuold be good for 5-10 years, but if kept somewhere like in your car, you should fire it off and replace every year.
>>
>>31555818
Of course im only saying 5-10 years the way that they put a sell by date on candy. It will honestly never go bad.
>>
File: 20161004_110958.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20161004_110958.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
>>31555831
This guy gets it. I have makarov ammo that is from 2000 that i still use occasionally and ive never had and issue. My dad gave me some Egyptian ammo from the 80s and it all fires well too. Just keep it in your closet and itll be fine.
>>
>>31555787
I would keep them in the trays, just to keep everything orderly but as >>31555818 said, they are not needed at all.
>>
>>31555772
Dont forget a few desiccant packets or a dehumidifer made for storage of guns and ammo. Want to keep that moisture out!
>>
>>31556054
I have three of those packs which I keep in the safe. Should I put one inside each ammo can?
>>
>>31555772
You can keep the ammo for 25+ years without noticing a difference in reliability.

It'll go bad if it becomes corroded or waterlogged. Atmosphere doesn't usually cause issues.

If you have a lot of the same stuff, then consider packing it loose. Maybe stuff it into heavy plastic bags.

The shelf life is about the same loose vs in plastic trays. If you kept the boxes in open air on a shelf, the lifespan is still like 20+ years.

Personally, my mass storage solution is to have plinking ammo in open air on a shelf and most of my other ammo (expensive loads and 22LR) in 30 cal or 50 cal ammo cans. Full 30 cal cans with heavy and loose ammo weighs quite a bit, but I can easily throw it around. It's also got enough for a decent range trip.

I've also got some plastic (MTM) versions that I use for some bigger boxes of ammo. The lids flex so they're best kept for boxed ammo (factory match and factory hunting rounds--where 1/2 the space is wasted and it costs 2x-3x as much a round).
>>
the trays dont really do anything but take up space. but on the plus side, they make it very organized and easy to resell if you need to. also, having the lot number for each batch can be handy if you have some kind of ammo related issue. but theres a very small percentage of you actually needing this imo.
if you plan on keeping them for yourself, dump the packaging.
>>
>>31556066
Doesn't hurt to put one in each can, then once a year take them all out, dry in oven, put back.
>>
>>31555772
Storing them loose won't cause any issues, but if you're worried about them getting too moist because you live someplace stupid like Florida, just toss some silica gel in there.
>>
>>31556066
Ammo cans have gaskets that are meant to keep moisture out, but that of course means they keep moisture in too. If you have gel packets throw some in the cans too.

PSA had a sale on .50 cal cans so I just bought a retarded amount of them and forgot to buy a pack of desiccant bags to put in them. Fug.
>>
>>31556199
I should also point out that while leaving it boxed makes ammo take up more space, it also makes it easier to grab a known amount of ammo before heading to the range, and the boxes themselves will absorb some moisture. I leave everything boxed.

I also meant to ask, how many (full) ammo cans is it safe to store vertically? I ordered more than I really have room for and I'm scared I'll have to stack them like 6 high.
>>
OP here

Thanks everyone for your input. Big help
>>
>>31555854
This. My 8mm mauser ammo was made in '83 or so, and it works fine
>>
what are the effects of water on the ammo? how bad does the water damage have to be? I bought a box of 5.56 at walyworld the other day and the stupid old fuck reached for a box that had water damage from the back without me noticing until I got home. Is it kill?
>>
>>31556556
If the seal between the bullet and case isn't tight water can get in and wet the powder. Unless you're planning on using it for home defense I wouldn't worry about it.

Also, what the fuck are you doing buying one box of 5.56? Do you buy one every time you go or something? 20 rounds isn't a lot of range time.
>>
>>31555772
I shoot ammunition made in the 50s on a regular basis, without any issues whatsoever. The key thing is how it's been stored, otherwise the ammunition lasts almost indefinitively. Those boxes, given that they have a rubber seal in good condition should be fine, though i would put the ammunition in paper boxes if we're talking very long-term storage. If you want to be really anal, i guess you could put some oil on them aswell.
>>
>>31556199
buy seaweed
each of packages come with a bag of silica and a 10 pack is pretty cheap and you get food
>>
>seaweed
>food
>>
>>31557928
Wut.

I'll just buy a box of silica gel packets off Amazon and not have to eat underwater grass.
>>
File: 20160629_111206.jpg (1MB, 2340x4160px) Image search: [Google]
20160629_111206.jpg
1MB, 2340x4160px
Ammo lasts practically forever in the right conditions. No moisture and sealed up tight.
>>
>>31558001
>plants
>not food
>>
>>31558011
>and not have to eat underwater grass.

Seaweed is fine. Quit being a pussy about it.

You're like those vegans who recoil when they hear the word "bacon".
>>
>>31558046
Ive had it before and I hated it. Just buying the gel alone is cheaper and doesn't fill my pantry with """food""" I'll never eat. With Amazon prime I'll probably get them before the cans arrive from PSA anyway.
>>
>>31558059
Or u could just steal the seaweed, take the silica and return the plant back to the ocean where it belongs
>>
>>31558098
Well obviously, but being honest with myself I can't out-operate the roof Koreans at the Asian foods store so I'd probably die trying.
>>
>>31556592
150 round box of green tip because it was on clearance I also bought abot 500 of 55g and a few hd 12ga
>>
>>31558059
>Just buying the gel alone is cheaper
There's a good chance you can get desiccant for free.

Call your local motorcycle dealership. I used to work at one and every new bike came in with two big packets of desiccant in the crate. These packs were about the size of a small loaf of bread.

We used to throw them away by the dozens. If you ask nice maybe your local shop will let you have them (assuming the brands they sell still use them).
>>
>>31558028
>when realise I'll never get Nazi surplus brass
>>
>>31558046
Am vegan. Would eat bacon/meat in certain circumstances without a problem. Where's your Moses now, see?
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.