[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How many languages do covert ops usually need to be able to speak?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5

File: 6_1.jpg (400KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
6_1.jpg
400KB, 1920x1080px
How many languages do covert ops usually need to be able to speak?

and what's the most important languages do they need to speak?
>>
>>31554847
1. English

We have terps.
>>
>>31554873
interpeters?

what if you need to pull some CIA tier shit alone?
>>
>>31554883
>CIA
>Alone

I've got a hangover to nurse. That's not gonna happen. Learn durka durka. Speaking hadji is useful. Most of the world knows English on a basic level.

I can smell the call of duty game on you. Enjoy your youth.
>>
>>31554928
wait what

are you fucking saying i learned arabic,russian,german and persian for no reason?

fuck this x18 mos shit im out
>>
>>31554974

Found the lying faggot.
>>
>>31554974
>arabic
no, plenty of folks only speak arabic
>Russian
More useful than any European language, anybody with anything important to say knows enough English
>German
useless
>Persian
See Russian

For 18x speaking in the native language is a useful skill as it builds a connection, you should have already learned that from the meme that is How to Win Friends and Influence People, but shouted English is a pretty universal language.
>>
>>31554974
Kek, if you've spent any time in an ODA, then you know that their language "skills" rarely go beyond 1/1.

age be in zabun harf bezani be man javab bede.
>>
File: FN Right_S.jpg (218KB, 1600x1067px) Image search: [Google]
FN Right_S.jpg
218KB, 1600x1067px
You should probably know a few different regional dialects, much less just "one language".

Good question though Anon.
>>
>>31554847
English
Spanish
Mandarin

= useful and relevant.

Any other language is dependant on where you operate/work.
>>
I imagine it depends on the operator and what they are doing there.

No point in having a team sent to murk shit talk the local language since everyone understands 5.56
>>
>>31555446
This. Last thing you need is to be doing fine and then your partner switches to Osaka-ben and you're suddenly lost.

Otherwise >>31555392
is accurate.
>>
English
Arabic
Maybe Spanish or French

Now you've got half the world covered. And most of the places that people need killing.
>>
>>31554974
fuck off Cheekie you underage shitlord
>>
English, Russian, Mandarin covers roughly 80% of the world. Also they're the countries that supply most of the world's firearms and munitions.
>>
File: slus-21137-game-ss-1.jpg (47KB, 627x353px) Image search: [Google]
slus-21137-game-ss-1.jpg
47KB, 627x353px
>>31554847

New splinter cell game fucking when? I really enjoyed blacklist.

Actually scratch making a new game, a full HD remake of Chaos Theory and bring back the goddamn co-op missions and I would be so happy.
>>
>>31555429
2operator4me
>>
>>31555429

man an hamjensbaz nistam ama man hamzabane to hastam. to che kar mikoni?
>>
>>31557229
>80% of the world
Anon...
>>
File: Muscular Jewish.gif (2MB, 410x396px) Image search: [Google]
Muscular Jewish.gif
2MB, 410x396px
What is a good language to learn for soldiers these days?
>>
>>31554847
From what I've heard you'd be better off learning niche languages than the same crap hundreds of other people can speak. Pick up a few obscure Eastern european or african languages and you'll be fine.

There is no point being able to speak a language from every continent as you won't understand the culture, at which point your language skills become sorta redundant. Pick an area that interests you learn the languages of that area
>>
>>31554847
OP, next time don't post a pic from a video game when your question alone will turn heads.
>>
File: frontline3.jpg (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
frontline3.jpg
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>31557818
Enlisting 18X tomorrow? Thai, Tagalog, Mandarin, Japanese, Korean, Arabic w/Syrian dialect. In that order. Syria's going to be back-burnered by the US so that'll be less useful. Plus, there's still a decent footprint of Arabic speakers from Afghanistan+Iraq.

Asia's the new hotness. Thailand's in the area, a developing nation and part of the US plan. They also have an insurgency problem, so sending in a few SF as security assistance would not be unexpected. Philippines is a higher value country through US foreign/economic policy, but has far more English speakers already, so the language wouldn't be as valued. Still useful as they also have an ongoing, widespread Islamic insurgency.

Mandarin is always valued, considering China's the biggest obstacle to the US in Asia. However, direct conflict is unlikely. Jap and Korean are useful just because both are major US allies in the region. Japan is working to build up their offensive capabilities, and SF would likely be assisting in some capacity so that's a bit more pressing than Korea, who already have significant numbers of their troops who work in US units and know English.
>>
>>31555392
>>31556655
>>31557153
I'd throw in Korean and maybe Mandarin if you're working in Asia. Hindu if you want to blend in. Don't bother with Japanese. Most know english and their culture is like the english with more obsessiveness.

Luckily, korean has one of the EASIEST WRITING SYSTEMS KNOWN TO MAN.
>>
>>31554873
Wait what?

Are you saying covert humint spooks have to tag along with a pet interpreter for the whole mission?
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.