[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm interested in building my own AR. How much will this

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2

File: maxresdefault.jpg (93KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
93KB, 1280x720px
I'm interested in building my own AR. How much will this cost me in tools? I think it would be really cool to do but there's a local well-regarded shop that would do it in a couple months for about $40 over cost of parts.
>>
>>31552413
$100 in tools max
>>
>>31552438
What all do I need to buy? Some site I looked at initially pointed at a $250 kit and suggested that as a start along with other tools. He seemed like a bit of a tard though so I figured I'd ask here.

I have a decent amount of general tools just nothing AR/gun-specific.
>>
>>31552438
castle nut wrench
vice
vice block
torque wrench
punch set
brass hammer
>>
>>31552531
how much do you care about the finish? cause you can do it with the wrong tools but stuff will get scratched
>>
>>31552650
Don't I need a tool to check the headspace?
>>
>>31552680
Not as long as the parts are actually in spec.
>>
>>31552674
Would prefer not to scratch it up if I don't have to BUT I was figuring on applying a base cerakote over the whole thing and then kryloning it to a useful (and easily removed) camo. So, not the end of the world if it won't be visible after a coat of paint.
>>
>>31552680
It would be best, but ARs are the one rifle I would say you can get away without one.
>>
>>31552680
no, not at all.
>>
>>31552680
headspace gauge, most parts are manufactured well and have good tolerances so it should not be an issue. does not hurt to have them handy though
>>
>>31552711
if you dont care you can do the whole lower with a set of vice grips, a screwdriver, and a razor blade

buy a preassembled upperslap it on and your done
>>
>>31552816
Well I was figuring on building the upper myself too. Just getting a BCM BCG already pre-built and do everything else myself.
>>
>>31552793
>headspace gauge

You do not need these. AR barrels are compression fit via the barrel nut. The barrels themselves are heads paced at the factory. The chances of getting an AR barrel with improper headspace is worse than your chances of winning the lottery.
>>
>>31552841
ahh well most of the ar specific tools are for the upper you need the ar wrench for the barrel nut. then the vice blocks so the receiver isnt crushed or fucked up when you are tightening it
>>
>>31552850
>The barrels themselves are heads paced at the factory. The chances of getting an AR barrel with improper headspace is worse than your chances of winning the lottery.
Does that include if I'm mixing a barrel from one company with a BCG from another, with an upper receiver from company 3 and a barrel nut from company 4?
>>
>>31552903
theres no way to adjust headspace on an ar at a personal level. its right or the factory fucked up installing the barrel extension. you wont find a barrel without an extension already on it.
>>
>>31552816
Not op but I just bought my first stripped lower today. I'm planning on buying a psa kit those usually come with pre assamble upper right? Will I still need special tools for complete assambly?
>>
File: 1474853986514.png (157KB, 436x1380px) Image search: [Google]
1474853986514.png
157KB, 436x1380px
>>31552881
So what do I need that >>31552650 didn't list?

I mean yeah I could buy a complete upper but then you get a bit too close to pic related for my tastes, I might as well just tell the gun shop to put it together for me.

As it is I'll need to have my brother in law pin and weld but he does custom welding professionally so I'm not too worried.
>>
>>31552413
I built my first AR in order to have something that won't bruise my shoulder after a day at the range (I like to collect and shoot milsurp so full sized cartridges). I managed to get an A1 parts kit (the only AR I thought I could own and not burst into flames).
I think I made a mistake. I enjoyed assembling it a little too much. I have three now and I have parts specked out for three more.
Be warned.
>>
>>31552413
Tools you need.

>a hammer. $4.00 or less

you are literally a nigger if you don't already have one.

>A cheap punch set. $9.00
>Hex Key set. $3.00
> Armorers tool. $20.00

One with a barrel nut wrench a castle nut wrench and a flash hider wrench all in one.

>An Upper receiver vice block. $15.00
>A bench vise $22.00
>A torque wrench 20
Grand total $93.00 And that's IF you don't have some of the already more common tools like a freakin hammer or Hex Keys, or a torque wrench.

Someone you know should already have one . if not they can be found cheap.
>>
>>31552995
other than >>31552650
just roll pin starters though they arent critical and a screwdriver
>>
>>31553059
>a hammer. $4.00 or less
>you are literally a nigger if you don't already have one.
Not true, he could be British. I mean he wouldn't be asking how to build an AR then, but the point stands.
>>
>>31552903
>Does that include if I'm mixing a barrel from one company with a BCG from another, with an upper receiver from company 3 and a barrel nut from company 4?

It LITERALLY does not fucking matter. as >>31552943 said, it is either right from the factory or the factory fucked up. The odds that it will be fucked up from a reputable company are astronomically unlikely because Companies don't like getting sued.
>>
>>31553092
>Not true, he could be British.

They have niggers in bongistan.
>>
>>31553110
Sure, but more to the point they have white people who are bancucked to the point of not even being allowed to carry a pocketknife without "good reason". It is conceivable one of them might not have a hammer.
>>
>>31552903
That only matters if you are looking to push every last 1/64 MOA out. For 99.999℅ of shooters, it doesn't matter.
>>
>>31553129
Nah this would be for a pinned 14.5" lightweight build.
>>
>>31553059
>>31552650
Thanks bros.
>>
>>31553059
yeah like that wont leave op high and dry
>>
>>31553534
>$93.00
>a lot of money

What's it like being such a poorfag anon?
>>
>>31553603
ya dingus it isnt all the tools he needs
>>
>>31552413
Depends how much of thr rifle you are trying to build.if its just a lower just a punch set a hammer and a screw driver.
>>
>>31552413
the fuck is all that for? i built my AR with a quarter and a crescent wrench. quarter as a pin punch and the wrench as a hammer and for the barrel nut.

don't over think this its literally as simple as put pin A in hole B.
>>
>>31552531

Magpul wrench
Magpul Bev Block
Bench or Tabel Vise
3 punch set
Aero shell grease
Torque Wrench (forgo if KAC URX 4 or ALG rail)

Plus general tools like, hammer, screw driver, pliers, dremel, etc.

Literally all you ever need to build AR.
>>
>>31552680

Get the Brownell's Nato max (field) gauge. If not doing precision build, no reason to do go, no go gauges.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.