[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Covenant invade Earth in the current year, they don't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 259
Thread images: 24

File: gaaabgh.jpg (133KB, 1600x780px) Image search: [Google]
gaaabgh.jpg
133KB, 1600x780px
The Covenant invade Earth in the current year, they don't glass the planet because they find many valuable relics.

How well do we perform?
>>
Seeing as it's the current year, I say we accept them as well meaning foreigners from a religion of peace.
>>
>>31541023

Casaba-howitzer everything. Any ship that attempts to get into orbit gets plasma'd to hell.

We reverse engineer their tech, victory within the decade.
>>
>>31541023
We lose because we have no way of handling their air power and space-navy.

Considering future small arms in the halo universe are pretty much the same as what we have now, maybe not so poorly on the ground. But nothing short of nukes would help us against their cruisers when they hover in atmosphere.
>>
>>31541023
I played halo before. The first one. Whys it still a thing?

t. 30 yr old
>>
>>31541070

Casaba-howitzers. Lots and lots of them.
>>
File: Opisfaggot.jpg (337KB, 1312x954px) Image search: [Google]
Opisfaggot.jpg
337KB, 1312x954px
take this shit to /v/ faggot take this shit to /v/ faggot take this shit to /v/ faggot take this shit to /v/ faggot take this shit to /v/ faggot take this shit to /v/ faggot take this shit to /v/ faggot take this shit to /v/ faggot take this shit to /v/ faggot take this shit to /v/ faggot take this shit to /v/ faggot take this shit to /v/ faggot take this shit to /v/ faggot take this shit to /v/ faggot take this shit to /v/ faggot take this shit to /v/ faggot take this shit to /v/ faggot take this shit to /v/ faggot take this shit to /v/ faggot take this shit to /v/ faggot take this shit to /v/ faggot take this shit to /v/ faggot take this shit to /v/ faggot take this shit to /v/ faggot take this shit to /v/ faggot take this shit to /v/ faggot take this shit to /v/ faggot take this shit to /v/ faggot take this shit to /v/ faggot take this shit to /v/ faggot take this shit to /v/ faggot take this shit to /v/ faggot
>>
>>31541023
We. Nuke. Everything.

They have no equivalent.
Ships in orbit. Nuke them.
Ships attempt to land. Nuke them.

Pilfer and pillage any and all of their technology, immediately start reverse engineering it.
Abrams with energy shields and coaxial plasma rifle.

If the opportunity presents itself, attempt to board and capture a landed cruiser/destroyer/carrier.

Absolutely no way they could win.
We would never let them win, even if it meant the majority of the planet was ash.
>>
>>31541055
>>31541070
>>31541083

Nukes don't work against their shields.
>>
>>31541153
Yes? They do? Have you ever even read a halo book?
>>
>>31541135
>They have no equivalent.

Indeed, they have better stuff.
>>
>>31541153

They do, it just takes a shit-ton of them. Early in the war UNSC had to bank on 20 to 1 odds in order to have a chance against Covenant warships.
>>
>>31541037
this. quit being a bigot and assuming that just because of a few radicals that all of them are here for war OP baka
>>
>>31541153
http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Shiva-class_Nuclear_Missile
>>
>>31541070
Speaking of future small arms, the Warthog is a retarded design and even a Humvee with a mounted mini gun would perform better.
>>
>>31541159
You gotta launch like 100 of them at once though.
>>
The moment they enter Earth orbit, ICBMs kill their invasion fleet.
>>
>>31541205
>An entire nation's nukes are launched to take out one cruiser

RIP earf
>>
>>31541153

Relativistic tungsten plasma happens to be more damaging.
>>
>>31541213
One advantage which is actually mentioned in several books is basically that the Covenant are stupid

They were lucky to have their core races develop on worlds rich in lost technologies and they reverse engineered it to bare minimum.

Even future humanity can do a better job with their tech then they can, after just a few hours of tinkering with Covenant plasma weapons aboard a captured starship Cortana was able to drastically increase their lethality.

They also fall for just about trap/bait you throw at them. Send a ship full of nukes labeled FORERUNNER RELICS WE SURRENDER their way and their assault carrier will come down, lower their shields, and open up their hanger.
>>
>>31541173
Nope. They have no WMDs besides energy projectors, which OP ruled out. And even that wouldn't save them from the fury of thousands of nuclear missiles.

Literally the only advantage they have over us are interstellar spacecraft and energy shields. Both of which we would immediately begin to attempt to reverse engineer.

Their vehicles are pure garbage.
Most of their weapons are garbage.
A fuel rod cannon? Meet javelin.
Plasma rifle? Meet m240b

We would want to avoid close combat at ALL costs. Personal energy shields, and the sheer size and numbers of their ground troops is the stuff of nightmares.
But that's what nukes are for. Vaporizing armadas.
>>
>coalition of species containing 50 billion+ members and over 10,000 warships
>versus 7 billion strong Earf with no MAC guns
>oh but no glassing :)
Yeah we get buttfucked because we having nothing to take down the shields on their cruisers or corvettes, which just go inna atmosphere and bombard everything with regular plasma cannons or torpedoes that's a threat and just don't use their excavation beams.

Assuming it takes 50 ICBMs to reliably knock out one Corvette, we can take out a few hundred in ideal circumstances, except that we'd probably maybe knock out a couple dozen then they'd destroy the launch sites. Earth is destroyed within a week, probably more like 3 days. Some people survive in submarines or in the wilderness.
>>
>>31541235
Okay, so you use up all your nukes and take out a few ships. Big fucking deal as far as the covvies are concerned. Remember, OP specified present day earth, as in earth by itself, against an empire that controls an entire galactic arm. It don't matter how effective our nukes are, there is a massive disparity in resources at play here, added to the fact that we can't retreat.
>>
>>31541135
How are you gonna pilfer and pillage technology if we nuke them when they land you goofus
>>
>>31541023
>grab sks
>go innawoods
>>
>>31541272

We'll be more effective than they are with their own equipment.

Once we win a couple battles and figure out how their stuff works, we can take the fight to them. If we manage to sneak in and assassinate their prophet, we win, they collapse.

Pinprick through the heart.
>>
>>31541368
And you're going to accomplish this today, when people 500 years from now have trouble managing it? And killing Regret isn't what saved humanity, it was the Elite rebellion.
>>
>>31541200
When I was a kid playing halo I always assumed the UNSC had run out of resources and was digging up old world war jeeps for their forces to use
>>
>>31541023
simple projectile weapons proved effective 500 years in the future. we would be fine.
>>
>>31541153
>>31541205
>>31541174
one nuke outside of a covenant shield will severely weaken it and blind their sensors. inside the shield it will vaporize the ship. The problem is we don't have a way to deliver them to the ships because they would just shoot missiles fired from the surface down.
>>
>>31541383

Those humans are complete retards. We've established this hundreds of times. They're using a 600 year old round to kill bad guys.

In over a decade of war they've managed to reverse engineer almost nothing. They're absolutely, completely retarded. Not only that, but humans have decided to not use tactics that work on purpose for some reason.

The sooner you realize that Halo is not sci-fi conflict and instead is a space opera focused on a single hero, the sooner you realize how well off we are and dumb they are.

>Elite rebellion

Yeah we'll just do that again
>>
>>31541396
500 years in the future there are way more humans and they aren't confined to a single planet. They would control orbit, they would have the highest of ground. They'd play it like the Turians played the invasion of shanxi in Mass Effect. Wreck any and all orbitals, seize control of all cities and farm land, park cruisers in orbit and constantly watch for any resistance to leave the woods, caves, or other hideouts, and drop precision fire on them from orbit. They wouldn't hesitate to obliterate whole city blocks just to take out a single squad. The main difference though, is that unlike in Mass Effect, there will be no off world reinforcements coming to save our asses.
>>
>>31541023
>>31541037
This desu

Only reason they didn't let humans join was because Brutes got pissy and jealous of other hairy ape-like beings and staged an attack.

Nowadays we'd have at least all of Europe and half of North America accepting their culture and making peace with them as they suck up all our valuable resources. Right wingers and some Asian nations would be entirely against it but they'd be labeled as simple minded bigots and "Wanting to kill the first alien life" would be used as a guilt trip.

We'd probably join the covenant against our will due to Leftists and progressives, probably have one of those inner covenant conflicts like they mentioned in Halo 2 with sensible humans saying yeah no fuck you and trying to kill the species traitors and covenant.
We'd get fucked up unless we nicked some of their plasma weapons and such or had some confused Hunters on our side, even then shit is bleak, iirc the ammo types for the Halo guns are absurd and take like a magazine to bring down a high ranking Elite's shields.
>>
>>31541418
>Yeah we'll just do that again

It's been a while but I'm pretty sure that had very little to do with humans, and was mostly instigated by the prophets trying to replace the elites with the brutes.

>>31541412
There's also the issue that they have more ships than we have nukes.
>>
>>31541463
>Only reason they didn't let humans join was because Brutes got pissy and jealous of other hairy ape-like beings and staged an attack.

Actually it was because (in the original lore before 343 Industries came along) Humans were forerunner ancestors and thus this meant the entire Great Journey was a lie. Without their faith the Covenant would fall apart, so to preserve their power the Prophets hid the truth and ordered humanity erased to hide the evidence.

This got fucked over by retcons tho
>>
>>31541469
>mostly instigated by the prophets trying to replace the elites with the brutes
The Chief was the one who really got that ball rolling with the destruction if Installation 04 and the assassination of the Prophet of Regret.
>>
>>31541463
There would be no us joining them, we were declared abominations, to be purged from the galaxy lest we hinder the great journey. In canon Humanity only ever received one communique from the covenant, and it was basically "You suck, we're gonna kill you now, bye."
>>
>>31541478
I wasn't referring to 343i,
Contact Harvest was the first Halo book I read and the main one I remember. In that the Brutes get all pissy and violent with us then lie to the Prophets.
>>31541481
Eh, in Contact Harvest around the time Halo 3 was released we were initially supposed to join up.
>>
>>31541469

Yes and no. There was a plan to replace the elites, but this tension was exacerbated by the fact that the Arbiter discovered important forerunner artifacts on Earth and the Prophet wanted to cover up the fact that the Humans were the chosen successors.

So basically we should just wait for the Arbiter to find the artifacts and then pressure them to defect.
>>
>>31541445
short of glassing the planet the covenant wouldn't be able to wipe out everyone. The covenant isn't omnipotent they wouldn't know where the resistance was and there could be some kind of long term war mounted.

>>31541469
>implying.

the armada that took reach consisted of a dozen fleets and that only amouted to 315 ships.
>>
>>31541023
>How well do we perform?
You perform bad because your tactical nuclear weapon is shit. Russia and China will perform great.
>>
>>31541503
Turians didn't know where the resistance were based either, they just watched any place the resistance would go to procure supplies, and blast it from orbit. The commander of Shanxi's garrison surrendered because he was unwilling to risk the civilians and his men just to keep his forces fed and armed. The covenant would do the same thing, only once the resistance surrendered, they'd kill them anyway, and then kill the civvies as well.

>>31541497

>So basically we should just wait for the Arbiter to find the artifacts and then pressure them to defect.

Ah yes, the Voyager method:Activate THE DEVICE that will save us, but at great peril, or if no device is present, wait for some alien to save us.
>>
>>31541522
You can't fight aliens with fetal alcohol syndrome ivan
>>
>>31541545
Sangheili commanders would never do anything that cowardly. They are practical only up until it means not meeting the enemy in battle.
>>
>>31541545

You're retarded. That's how actual Halo worked though. Which means the franchise is shit, right?

What I'm saying is if you want to force a defection, then do it that way. Of you don't, just agressively eliminate prophets until society collapses and races start splintering. You can start a civil war this way.
>>
>>31541583
I was making fun of Voyager, because that's how every major crisis was resolved on that show.
>>
>>31541578
Are you implying the turians are cowardly? They would disagree, they'd tell you that they're merely being practical, as the only way to truly crush an enemy is to do so with overwhelming force.
>>
>>31541592

Yeah, unfortunately it's better to have

[Hero] activates a highly classified and experimental [technology] that has the effect of [science] and manages to save the entire [scenario]

We need Firefly back.
>>
>>31541601
dude this is a halo thread, fuck off with your mass effect autism.

also you have no reading comprehension.
>>
>>31541605
>We need Firefly back.

Meh, never been a huge fan of Whedon, especially not now that he's gone full SJW.
>>
>>31541575
but with ivans nukes
>>
>>31541634
there was nothing SJW about firefly. Firefly was fucking perfect in every way.
>>
>>31541497
Wasn't it mentioned in one of the novels (Contact Harvest I think) that many of the "Forerunner Artifacts" the Covenant were seeing all over the place were Humans themselves?
Something to do with them not fully understanding the reverse-engineered Forerunner tech computers on their own ships and confusing the "reclamation" and "reclaimer" symbols, one meaning an artifact and the other meaning those chosen to recover them (Humans).
>>
>>31541660

Yeah, which is another point of contention the Elites struggled with. It was one of the defining reasons why the Elites decided to side with the humans instead of just fighting the prophets.

Not only were the prophets wrong about the Great Journey, they were actively trying to destroy the successors of the forerunners.
>>
>>31541659
You misunderstand, I was saying that Whedon now is a full blown SJW, but that even before that happened, I was never a fan of his writing. Too many snarks and quips for my liking. We will see the heat death of the universe before Whedon writes what sounds like a conversation two humans would actually have.
>>
File: wololoo.jpg (9KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
wololoo.jpg
9KB, 480x360px
>>31541023

Easy, we just convert them to our side. We don't even need bullets.
>>
>>31541684

I'd say 80% of the conversations I have are just me being a snarky asshole to my subordinates. It's pretty accurate when you move up the ladder.
>>
>>31541023
So, if the Covenant didn't have have the whole genocide all human thing and forced us to become part of their empire, were would we be in their pecking order?
>>
>>31541699

We would quickly dominate science and politics.

Every other race is retarded, and we are even more shrewd than the prophets themselves.
>>
File: 1343626482375.jpg (16KB, 450x333px) Image search: [Google]
1343626482375.jpg
16KB, 450x333px
>>31541055
>>31541083
Why the fuck do you tards always bring these up? Who even has ONE of them ready to roll or could produce ONE and get it to the enemy fleet in the first place? Your instant win button is bullshit. Might as well cast Avada Kadavra at them a couple times while you're at it.
>>
File: b61-7lep[1].jpg (33KB, 450x290px) Image search: [Google]
b61-7lep[1].jpg
33KB, 450x290px
>>31541575
You can't fight aliens with free fall nuclear bomb, John. It's not 1945.
>>
I wager we'd do well enough that it'd be a fairly drawn out war so long as they don't bombard us from orbit or bring their big ships in atmo at all. We'd definitely make it painful.

The problem is we'll eventually run out of shit (including bodies) to throw at them while the still have tons of shit to throw at us. Even if we killed 10 of them for every one of us we wouldn't win and I doubt we'd be doing that well. I imagine unless we get a real chance to surrender and NOT be enslaved our last great fuck you will be to unleash basically everything we have as far as WMDs go. Awful hard to occupy a planet when it's covered in radiation, toxic gasses, and a fuckton of handcrafted super diseases. Also great when the local primitives detonate nukes on most of those relics you were interested in reducing them to ash alongside everything else.
>>
>>31541711

>to the enemy fleet

They're ground based. They are ground to orbit weapons.

We can manufacture them from current warheads.
>>
>>31541708
I agree with this.
Most of the species are dumb or weak as fuck. Humans are more logical and less prone to making emotionally charged decisions than Elites or Brutes are. We also aren't dramatically weaker than Elites are.
>>
>>31541745
>We also aren't dramatically weaker than Elites are.
Isnt that the case here? The only ones able to take them head on and even outperform them in combat are spartans which are super humans in powerarmor.
>>
>>31541745
>We also aren't dramatically weaker than Elites are.
Yes we are
>>
>>31541690
Wololo
>>
Reminder that the Chief, his cohorts, the schisms in the covenant and the fucking flood was the only reason humanity won the war. Otherwise everyone would be dead.

I doubt the most well armored anything in the world could handle a barrage from plasma rifles much less anything else.

We. Would. Lose.
>>
>>31541708
You do know that the Covenant are a super fanatical theocracy right?
Most of the species conquered are forced to give up most of their ways of life, which includes the advancement of technology and science.
>>31541699
Humans will probably be in the middle, above the jackals and the grunts, but below the elites and the brutes.
Really going to be determined just how well a modern army can fight against their ground forces.
>>
>>31541796
If a scorpion can take it an abrams can probably take it. UNSC is utter garbage for everything but spartans and the fact they have space ships.
>>
>>31541814
>UNSC is utter garbage for everything but spartans and the fact they have space ships.

And we have neither of those. Brutes can take full magazines of whatever we can throw at them and thrash squads apart with their bare hands before actually dying or feeling pain.

Elites run around with shields that actually take effort to pierce and have high physical durability and strength in comparison to our strongest man.
>>
>>31541771
>>31541778
I know it doesn't make a huge difference, but the Sangheili wear power armor too. Humans would be much more comparable to Elites than they would be to grunts or jackals.

There's also only around 8 billion of them by the events of Halo, so current day humanity probably outnumbers them. I'm also willing to beat that they only let their nobility be soldiers since they have that whole honor thing going on, and if that's the case we will definitely be able to supply more soldiers than them.

oh and we aren't afraid of having surgery, like they are.
>>
>>31541826
UNSC infantry literally used 7.62x51 NATO standard. We of course have that and better available.

Again, UNSC is garbage.
>>
>>31541826
They can take a bunch of 7.62 RFN to the face. No big deal. We fight them with 30mm autocannons. Their shitty tech has stagnated for years, and if enough 7.62 can kill it, it'll only take a few 30mm rounds to do the job. Who says we even need infantry? Our ability to adapt far outweighs their superior tech, which will only be superior for as long as it takes to reverse-engineer it. Seeing as Cortana can do it, a dedicated team could probably do it as well. IIRC, the codes to all their ships are the equivalent of "password1".
>>
File: sniper-rifle.jpg (155KB, 1075x789px) Image search: [Google]
sniper-rifle.jpg
155KB, 1075x789px
>>31541023
IIRC, the UNSC either outright won or at least matched the covenant on land in most battles.

Space was another issue entirely, but OP pretty much ruled that out. and aside from the more SciFi magic aspect of some of the tech (energy shields, smart-link scopes, etc.), the UNSCs arsenal was pretty well grounded in reality.
>>
>>31541261
>Assuming it takes 50 ICBMs to reliably knock out one Corvette

one orbital round did it in Reach. shit, a single megaton mini-nuke did it to a cruiser in The Fall of Reach.
>>
>>31541867
>Their shitty tech has stagnated for years

Their shitty tech is millenia ahead of anyone else's. Also not technically theirs, it's recovered Forerunner tech. You know, the guys that finished science?
>>
>>31541877
>IIRC, the UNSC either outright won or at least matched the covenant on land in most battles.

Yes, this is why they needed to utilize super soldiers as a last measure created to quell a human rebellion to ensure battles could actually be won.

Not like it mattered since planets that weren't worth a shit ie no artifacts were glassed outright even when the covenant was winning.

Spartans were such a major contributing factor to actually fighting these wars and yet people tend to forget that. I mean fuck, there's a fucking Spartan Branch of the UNSC that was created after the war due to how important they were.
>>
>>31541903
>there's a fucking Spartan Branch of the UNSC that was created after the war due to how important they were.

And their operating doctrine is basically "Holy crap, these SPARTAN guys are pretty badass, IDEA:Fuck Halsey, make everyone a SPARTAN!"
>>
>>31541833
>There's also only around 8 billion of them by the events of Halo
You mean after fighting humanity and getting rekt by the flood which has not happend in OP scenario?
>>
>>31541826
>Elites run around with shields that actually take effort to pierce and have high physical durability and strength in comparison to our strongest man.
.50 cal works. Artillery works. That's enough. Chemical weapon will work against most Covenant races too.
>>
>>31541877
Problem with the UNSC's ground forces weaponry is that for the most part it was at the absolute most 50-75 years advanced over ours rather than the 500 years from now (when HALO takes place) it should have been.

500 years later and they're only barely making railguns and lasers work for military purposes while they still hand out a round I can buy at the LGS today as their primary infantry round.
>>
>>31541903
you do know the reason the covenant even glassed planets in the first place was because we were essentially fighting them to a standstill every time they showed up, Spartans or not, right? the only reason Reach fell as quick as it did was because Reach basically got caught with their pants down, nor was anybody expecting an ENTIRE covenant fleet showing up. not to mention the fact the UNSC was pretty retarded themselves when it came to weaponry and tactics. IIRC most of their service rifles fired 7.62x51 FMJ. we have better shit then that now. the only gun that was really full retard in terms of sheer power was the sniper rifle (14.5x114mm Sabot).
>>
File: ODST.gif (1MB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
ODST.gif
1MB, 320x180px
>>31541023
We win as soon as drop pods are invented

>tfw you will never be as operator as an ODST
>>
>>31541877
>UNSC either outright won or at least matched the covenant on land in most battles.
Nope, they only had a record of winning when Spartans were on the ground. Otherwise they got their shit pushed in.
>>
>>31541962
There's also the fact that in a war that involves interstellar travel, winning a ground war is kind of meaningless, especially when the enemy is not at all interested in occupying your planet.
>>
>>31541962
IIRC from first book, Covenant NEVER won any planetary battle. They glassed planets from space.
>>
File: Halo_Reach_Shotgun.png (599KB, 1371x554px) Image search: [Google]
Halo_Reach_Shotgun.png
599KB, 1371x554px
>tfw no toploading 8-gauge scattergat

this thing was retarded in all the right ways
>>
Accept their culture and grab my ankles like the good European I am.
>>
>>31541235
They have Antimatter bombs, one is even diffused by Cortana in Halo 2.
>>
>>31541884
The Corvette was destroyed because its excavation beam (which wouldn't be used in this case) was damaged while it was firing. To fire, the shields must be lowered, which is why they had sent a team to reneutralize the MAC gun.

The megaton mini nuke was detonated inside the cruiser, its shields never played a part.

The 50 nuke scenario is assuming we have to use nukes to actually crack the shields in the first place.
>>
>>31541884
The Corvette swatted by Noble 6 had it's shields offline. If the other one is one of two ships that I think you're talking about, the nuke was in the ship.
>>
>>31542011
I was talking about during the first siege on sword base, where one of the orbital platforms punches a hole clean through one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqO2XbZzsHE
>>
>>31541272
>Okay, so you use up all your nukes

kek, nigga we got more than enough nukes now. And we've been spending decades to collectively and actively reduce that number.
>>
>>31542027
Dude, that was an orbital MAC platform, something several magnitudes more powerful than a nuclear warhead, used on one of the smallest Covenant warships, that was so powerful and so much overkill they outright say that ONI approved it, and only once the Corvette was over a very deep chasm in the ocean.
>>
>>31542039
the reason ONI had them wait was because of the forerunner artifact under sword base. and no, an orbital mac round isn't more powerful than a nuke, it just penetrates WAAAAAY farther.
>>
>>31542070
An orbital MAC has less energy than a very large nuke, but more energy than a smaller nuke, and unlike a nuke its energy is extremely concentrated.
Covenant shields could absorb a nuclear blast at point blank range, although on the smaller ships it would generally drop the shields. But this is with near direct detonation.

Super MACs could punch through the shielding outright.
>>
File: 1466999194719.png (61KB, 205x200px) Image search: [Google]
1466999194719.png
61KB, 205x200px
>>31541955
>Wind roars, rain knocks against the canopy.
>My heart beat skyrockets as the clouds break.
>Ships on fire fall from the sky.
>What's left of the bombed out city burns.
>A squid-head super carrier hangs in the sky.
>The space elevator lays in ruin.
>The Gunnery Sergeant yells.
>"Slip space rupture!"
>MFW deployed from the UNSC Heat of the Moment.

Can't wait for orbital insertions to be a thing.
>>
>>31542033
Like most sci fi writers you apparently have no sense of scale. The covenant controls an entire galactic arm, the amount of resources they have compared to a single planet is so many orders of magnitude greater that it's pointless to even measure it. They have more ships than we have the capacity to destroy, we could be trading one ship per nuke and we still wouldn't have anywhere close to enough. You don't seem to understand the scale of the threat at play here.
>>
>>31542097
>>31542070
>>31542039

1 Orbital defense round is roughly 47 gigatons of kinetic energy, assuming my math is right (it probably isn't)

Tsar Bomba was ~50 Megatons and people felt that shit 1000km away. I feel like an orbital round should have punched through the fucking planet
>>
>>31542070
>the Mk. V can launch a 3,000 ton tungsten/depleted uranium projectile at 11991698.32 meters per second
21.570.124.289.683.624.000 joules
Or 21 Petrajoule (PJ). The Tsar bomb had something about 210 Petrajoules released during its explosion. The Tsar bomb power was around 50 megaton of TNT.

So that covenent ship was hit by a round that had the power of 5 Megaton bomb focused on a very small area. Largest Nuclear bomb currently in US arsenal is the B-82 which power is around 1.2 Megaton

Now count in the covenents ability to completely destroy all objects humanity have in space in mere minutes and destroy all factories, power plants, military bases etc after a few hours with no hint of their attack and we would face total doom. Even if we could launch missiles most of them would be intercepted before hitting a enemy ship with the chance of doing absolutely nothing if not enough missiles hit it.
>>
>>31542070
>>31542097
Ship based MACs are something like 60 Kilotons. ODP super MACs are close to 50 Gigatons. Whereas the Tsar Bomba had a max yield of 100MT.
>>
>>31542175
>Petrajoule
>Petrajoule
Are you tired or something
>>
>>31542214
Ah shit.

Well yeah slightly.
>>
>>31541070
>no way of handling their air power
Aren't Banshees like super slow? Do the covies even have an ASF equivalent? Or are the banshees actually just gunships
I didnt play a lot of Halos
>>
>>31542175
Using metrics, a 3000 tons slug traveling at 12,000Km/s would equate to 2.16e+20 joules or 216000PJ, would it not?
>>
>>31542242
They had the Type-29 Vampire and Type-31 Seraph for that kind of thing. Banshees are just light ground support.
>>
>>31542267
You have one 0 too much for the PJ.

Well either way if you are right or I am wrong or vice versa, it only proves the Orbital MAC gun is extremely powerful that we dont have any nuclear weapon in nations current arsenal that can match that power and be able to focus all that energy to one small area.

Were fucked.
>>
>>31542298
Agreed. No big space sticks or augmented super soldiers to save us.
>>
>>31542070

The most powerful MAC cannons launch a round weighing several tons at 4% lightspeed. They have waaaaaay more power than a nuke.
>>
>>31541135
>>31541235
>>31541368

This baka gaijin didn't read the books. Their point defense lasers were top notch, UNSC ships would loose massive volleys of archer missiles and less than half would make it through the defensive lasers. You would have to hide your nukes in clouds of cruise missiles. Even then, it takes at least two successful nuke hits to kill a covenant ship, one to crack the shield and one to melt the fucker. On top of that, humanity doesn't have two nukes for every covenant ship, not even close.

Plasma weaponry was the stuff of nightmares, a near miss would cause 2nd degree burns on bare skin.

Get educated, I bet you started with halo5.
>>
>>31541418
>>Elite rebellion
>Yeah we'll just do that again

Kill a prophet with ODST's and a spartan on delta halo? Using our Paris class frigate?

didn't know we had any of that shit anon.
>>
File: Landing_Warthog.jpg (48KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
Landing_Warthog.jpg
48KB, 800x600px
Warthogs for all
>>
>>31542309
When taking a look at my figures that I provided then it seems like I mis-calculated the amount of kilograms with one 0 less then what it should have been. You did the correct calculations which means that 1 round from the Orbital MAC gun has the power of 1 Tsar Bomba,not one tenth like I calculated.

The amount of power is absolutely insane and the wikia gives even a higher number of power.

When looking at>>31542027 then everyone even close to see the covenent corvette would have been completely blown away because they are close to a 50 megaton of fuck you energy from space hitting the ship and the fucking lake which would cause a massive explosion at russian vodka levels of nuclear insanity.

We are now confirmed to be so weak that they could literally not shoot down any incoming missile and laugh at our inability to wound their capital ships. We would be forced to fire so many missile to even take down ONE single ship. Not all of our nuclear missiles are even at megaton level but most kiloton level combined with we are unable to focus all that energy into a single spot we would have to fire more then 50 megaton of total destructive power.

If we even can reach that number with multiple nuclear missiles
>>
>>31541968
And you're wrong, that's a load of shit.. They won Harvest, Arcadia, Coral, Reach and many more were won on the ground and then glassed. Fuck off if you're just going to speculate when the facts are already known.
>>
>>31541272
In 1995 the US had 30k confirmed WMD warheads... that's 3 for each just from the US
>>
>>31541037
>>31541178
>>31541463
i can just see the convenient lives matter movement and sjw posts on tumblr

maybe we need aliens to unite all humans
>>
>>31542309
>tfw no elite operator team to single handedly destroy an entire covie fleet

I always wanted to see the reaction of the covie brass when they hear the Unyielding Heirophant and all neighboring ships were destroyed by a bunch of fucking teenagers.
>>
>>31541119
This

Atleast go to the containment board in vg and await deletion.
>>
>>31542777
No fuck off this is a good thread
>>
>>31541083
Casaba Howitzers don't work in atmosphere.

Thunderwells are where it's at.
>>
>>31541037
fpbp

/pol/ pls stay
>>
>>31541699
conflict with their religion aside, humans would technically be god figures.
>>
>>31541493
No? Contact Harvest took place in 2525 and Halo 3 took place in late 2552/early 2553.
>>
>>31541037
The elites were the only race that wanted to allow us in.

Everybody else went "BURN THE HERETIC" and decided to glass us, dragging the elites along with them.

In short, we weren't allowed in no matter how bad we wanted in.
>>31541023
The main rifles and whatnot are chambered for futuristic equivalents of modern cartridges (and they also have 7.62 RFN for the assault rifle)

We'd be perfectly fine.
>>
>>31541955
Darpa research project, codename "HOT EAGLE" Intercontinental freedom delivered in 6 hours or less.
>>
File: TRIGGER.png (2MB, 1124x1400px) Image search: [Google]
TRIGGER.png
2MB, 1124x1400px
>>31541037

FPBP
>>
>>31542027
That was probably a ship born round, likely not even full velocity because the orbital MAC platforms would penetrae the planets crust. The "Thor" kinetic weapons system only uses a 9 ton tungsten rod accelerated by gravity and has the force of 11 tons of tnt. In the Halo canon, shipboard projectiles are 30 tons and the orbitals fired 3,000 ton slugs.
>>
File: 1474821388946.png (91KB, 1733x507px) Image search: [Google]
1474821388946.png
91KB, 1733x507px
>>31541261
>versus 7 billion strong Earf with no MAC guns

No MAC guns you say?

Admittedly, its not an actual mac gun, but hey...
>>
>>31543472
the covenant was a metaphor
phophets = jews
elites = whites
brutes = blacks

the prophets run the covenant and when the elites have enough of their shit the prophets strip the elites of their power and give it all to the more subservient but less intelligent brutes, then turn the brutes against the elites in a civil war
>>
>>31542944
Maybe as a common enemy
>>
>>31542154

> he was just a rookie trooper and he surely shook with fright
> he checked upon his equipment and made sure his pod was right
> he had to sit and listen to those awful engines roar
> and you ain't gonna jump no more

CHORUS

> gory gory what a hellvua way to die

> is everybody happy cried the sergent looking up
> Our hero feebly answered yes and then they moved him up
> he launched into the starry night his retro jets unplugged

CHORUS

> he counted deep he counted hard he waited for the shock
> he felt the gold he felt the Gees he felt the awful drop
> his retro jets gave out a spark and then they sputtered out

CHORUS

> the heat shield cracked apart and flew away into the sky
> molten steel was wrapped in layers around his legs and boots
> his drop pod became his casket as he hurtled to the ground

CHORUS

> He hit the ground the sound was splat and dirt went flying high
> his comrades they were heard to say a hellvua way to die
> he laid right there in his crater a smear upon the ground

CHORUS
[half speed]
> there were streaks upon the metal there was carbon on the roof
> his ashes were a drifting in the air above the ruins
> They picked him up still in his pod and scraped him from his boots

CHORUS
>>
Destroy the Earth with Nukes. Denote some inside super volcanoes.
>>
>>31544459
>molten steel was wrapped in layers around his legs and boots

Change boots to thighs. It rhymes with sky.
>>
>>31541023
not very well. they have personal shields and plasma weapons capable to penetrate an apc.

i think we would need significant numerical advantage to win a fight and couldn't really use the mechanized infantry tactics as they simply do it way better.

their shields can take a couple of .50 rounds before they go out. of course a .50 browning would mow down a single target in a second. but seeing how it doesn't have energy shields it would also be a single hit from a plasma cannon.
>>
>>31542549
But only about 2,800 on launch platforms (ICBMs) capable of reaching low orbit.

Unless you are suggesting that all 30k nukes of all sizes are converted into Casabla Howitzers / Thunderwells (for the smaller nukes).
>>
>>31541478
Either way, it was about how humanity was favored by the Forerunners. Besides, in Halo 3's terminals, it heavily implied the humans and forerunners were separate species.
>>
>>31544104
So, a "Super Thunderwell", but built on purpose, not a surprise accidental discovery.

Shitty part about them, is that you can't aim the bitch.

>RECLAIM FORERUNNER ARTIFACTS HERE!
>>
>>31542777
Implying /vg/ is being deleted, >>>/qa/ check it retard, /vr/ is being merged into /vg/
>>
>>31544257
/pol/ plz go
>>
>>31541153
>Nukes don't work against their shields.
Nukes do work but the problem is that nukes in space are alot less effective. Using them on Earth would work much better.
>>
>>31541023
over 6 million people have guns in my state alone, other nations may be cucked but the US should throw at least some resistance
>>
>>31541230
This, thought the one part in Reach with the corvette and modified slipspace drive bomb was a bit iffy

>this corvette's comms were jammed but having gone dark for so long and then wanting to board a capital ship without proper docking procedure WASN'T a red flag
>>
>>31541481
Thats funny because the elites all though out the lore admire humans tenacity in combat some even question why the prophets didn't let them join.
>>
>>31542154
As cool as it is it's not tactically feasible, nothing announces your presence like dozens of sonic booms coming from a bunch of flaming objects in the sky, not to mention surviving the impact

Much better to tactically insert via Falcon
>>
>>31541983
What was so dumb about it?
>>
>>31549136
You mean besides the shell ejector being on the top of the gun or it's ridiculous size? Look at any reload animation and you'll see.
>>
>>31549235
actually, I'm pretty sure the shells eject out the side. its loaded from the top.
>>
>>31549235
Shell ejector was out the bottom in the original halo. It wasn't seen ejecting in Halo 2 and 3. The Halo 2 anniversary does have the shell ejecting out the top but I mean 343i is retarded so
>>
>>31549235
>shell ejector being on the top of the gun
its on the bottom

>it's ridiculous size?
8 gauge future scattergat. aint gotta explain shit. and it's actally not that big, all things considered.
>>
I think the best solution would be spamming MIRVs at them from orbit, each equipped with a shitload of those countermeasures Oppenheimer spoke of (mylar balloons filled with heated deuterium to look like a nuke on sensors, each MIRV can carry dozens of them) simply overwhelming Covie CIWS and likely disabling a few of them.

When whatever is left of their force lands, we keep our distance and use our Air Superiority fighters to fucking obliterate their banshees, then send in Spec Ops for target designation of their expeditionary forces that our bombers can Arclight out of existance, esp with something persistant like white phosphorous, i cannot imagine an elites shields surviving that.

Using this and ambushing their supply lines would be essential, and if one of their motherships give us problems, simply spam nuclear tipped stealth crusie missiles at it, although idk if modern stealth would be effective against their sensors.

Use our SLBMs sparingly when above isnt enough, and start cranking out nukes like goddamn hotcakes at a weightwatchers convention.
All the while, our science teams collaborate to reverse engineer their shit and also develop biological and chemical agents that affect their physiology and not ours. Using special operations forces and our sheer military supremacy on the ground, we can board enemy ships while they try to repair them after getting disabled by a nuke, drop off a highly contagious plague that takes a LONG time to show signs of, then nope the fuck out as the ship flees for orbit. If the ship cant jump to slip space. We then take over the ship before it de-orbits.
>>
File: 1473272971406.jpg (41KB, 680x330px) Image search: [Google]
1473272971406.jpg
41KB, 680x330px
>>31550090
Part 2.

Once we have brought the initial invasion force to its knees, we learn their language and reach out to the Grunts, redpilling them on the Covenant and teaching them the ideas of democracy. Depending on the results of this and once we know more about the hierarchy of the Covenant, we use the surviving grunts and other lesser species as pawns and start spamming Black Propaganda that plays to their situation, prompting them to start another rebellion. We also attempt to redpill the elites and with a little luck, will kick off the Great Schism, which will leave the Covenant is such a disasterous, multi-generation long state of infighting that we wont have to worry about them coming back until our reverse engineering, has caught up to and surpassed theirs, so like 50-100 years.

Tldr: We CIA them to pieces, and use the infighting as a chance to amass a defensive fleet better than theirs, and maybe gain some Grunt and Elitebros too.
>captcha: select all images with a regime change
>>
File: EB.jpg (6KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
EB.jpg
6KB, 300x168px
>>31550266
Part 3.

Once we as humans can economically travel to far off solar systems, start colonizing like crazy and go Full United Federation of Planets (minus some of the more pinko shit, post scarcity will be still a LONG ways away) with the ayys we encounter, and take in the secularized former Covenant species when possible. Space war will still be fucking expensive, so its best to avoid it and amass a fleet of ships that can be both explorers and full-out warships when the need arises, that way the libs wont grill us for having such a large standing Starfleet. The primary mission of these exploration ships should be to seek out new worlds to colonize and technology to reverse engineer and improve upon, that way we are a species with ever-growing capabilities, but one that doesn't start shit for no reason, since as stated, a Space War would be very, VERY, expensive and anti-climatic
>>
>>31550090

f35 vs bansee?

and the bansee loses?

hearty guffaw.jpg
>>
>>31550979
Pierre Sprey,aka Prophet of Doubt, pls go.
>>
>>31551310
I fukken kek'd
>>
>>31550979

Very likely, since the Banshee has been shown to be very low subsonic and vulnerable to .50 ammunition.

Also it's projectiles are slow as shit and hitting a fast target with them is near impossible.

A supersonic fighter with 25mm guns will shred a banshee no problems. It can shred an infinite number of banshees no problems with boom and zoom attacks as long as it has ammo.

The fact is that none of the Halo atmospheric vehicles are impressive in the slightest. The dropships and pelicans are probably the most impressive out of all of them. The rest would handily lose to their current day counterparts.
>>
>>31551310

>Pierre Sprey is the prophet of doubt

It all makes sense now.
>>
>>31551908
You do realize that's just a limit of the gameplay right.
>>
Just a question out of curiosity, how well would biological weapons work against them? The flood raped them pretty hard from what I Remember. If we weponized Ecolab or some shit and infected a flag ship how well would that work?
>>
>>31551908
>what is the Longsword
>what is the Hawk
>>
>>31544459
you tried, but you defeated the whole point of a cadence by making it have no rhythm.
>>
>>31552188

I wrote it on my phone in the shitter in like 5 minutes while hung over man.

Give me some time and suggestions and I'll make a better one.
>>
>>31542027
I loved how dense the writing was in Reach. It really built the world without ever expositing it.
>>
>>31552219
> he counted deep he counted hard he waited for the shock
> he felt the gold he felt the Gees he felt the awful drop

he counted down, his jets deployed, he waited for the shock

the wind rushed by, the metal creaked, he felt his cradle rock.

the retro gave, let out a spark, his pod began to drop

> the heat shield cracked apart and flew away into the sky
> molten steel was wrapped in layers around his legs and boots
> his drop pod became his casket as he hurtled to the ground

his his heat shield cracked, the pod became is grave as he streak across the sky

molten steel wrapped around his legs, coating him from toe to thigh,

the ground came up, he said a prayer, the trooper prepared to die
>>
>>31542604
That was Operation: FIRST STRIKE which was executed by a Spartan-II team that included the Master Chief. They destroyed the Hierophant and at least 482 Covenant capital ships. Total USNC losses were a naval flag officer, an ONI officer, and one Spartan-II, Grace-093. They also lost a Covenant capital ship they had commandeered. Pretty awesome KDR.
>>
>>31552027
Still doesn't matter, Banshees show up on UNSC radars at BVR ranges and hence are vulnerable to BVR weapons, whereas everything they have is dumbfire.
>>
>>31541493
Not the other guy but from what I recall, the prophets misinterpreted the glyphs on their forerunner machine. They read the glyphs that popped up on human planets as an artifact to reclaim but they actually stood for reclaimer referring to the people living there. Seeing as how they killed a bunch of humans on Harvest and that humans had this highly important Forerunner glyph assigned to them, it would look bad on the Prophet's part so the highest ranking ones conspired to forcibly change the meaning of the glyph and to start a genocide on the human race
>>
>>31549567
>>31549570
It does eject out the top, and it loads from the same trap door it ejects from. Think reverse-Ithaca 37
>>
>>31552447

I tried to change as little from the original Blood on the Risers as possible, for better or for worse. Still a good bit of awkwardness left after attempt 2. One verse omitted because character limit.

> He was just a rookie trooper and he surely shook with fright,
> He checked upon his equipment and made sure his pod was right;
> He had to sit and listen to those awful engines roar,
> He ain't gonna jump no more!

CHORUS
> Gory, gory, what a helluva way to die,
> He ain't gonna jump no more!

> “Is everybody happy?” cried the sergeant looking up,
> Our hero feebly answered “yes” and then they moved him up;
> He launched into the starry night his retro jets unplugged,
> He ain't gonna jump no more.

CHORUS

> He counted long, he counted hard, he waited for the shock,
> he felt the Gees, he felt the cold, he felt the awful drop;
> The retros lit, gave out a spark and then they sputtered out,

CHORUS

> The heat shield cracked, the walls collapsed, he streak across the sky
> molten steel was wrapped in layers around his legs and thighs
> his pod became his coffin; he hurtled to the ground

CHORUS

>The ambulance was on the spot, the hogs were running wild,
>The medics jumped and screamed with glee, they rolled their sleeves and smiled,
>For it had been a week or more since last a 'pod had failed,
>He ain't gonna jump no more.

CHORUS

> He hit the ground, the sound was “CRUNCH” and dirt went flying high,
> His comrades, they were heard to say a “helluva way to die”;
> He laid there in the shallow grave that he dug for himself,

CHORUS
[half speed]
> There were chars upon metal there was carbon on the chutes,
> His ashes were a drifting in the air above the ruins;
> He was a mess, they picked him up, and scraped him from his boots,

CHORUS
>>
>>31541796
This

I remember reading somewhere that a charged plasma pistol melted a Spartans helmet to his face
>>
>>31541023

We wipe the floor with them in a ground battle/air battle but we lose in the space battle.
>>
>>31550979
F35 ain't got shit on the covenant type-31 multi-role fighter ( Seraph )
>>
>>31553047
the armor plate part of the mjolnir wasn't very effective against plasma weapons. It was made of the same titanium ceramic composite that tanks and space ships were made of but a plasma pistol would still breach the armor and cost damage to the spartan inside. Sam died because of one shot to his armor breaching his suit.

Much like the spartans themselves the armor wasn't designed to fight the covenant. It was designed to put down insurrectionists and thus withstand normal human weaponry. The armor worked extremely well against explosives, small arms, anti tank weapons, ect.

once they added the energy shielding the armor became stupidly tough. chief slapped a tactical nuke out of the air and it went off at his feet and he walked away from it.,
>>
considering that humans in 2552 almost lost despite having overpowered firearms and HUD technology, we'd be fucked
>>
>>31553175
>chief slapped a tactical nuke out of the air and it went off at his feet and he walked away from it
Where were those super-shields on Heroic (the canon difficulty, according to in-game descriptions) and LASO?
>>
>>31555817
>>31553175
>tactical nuke
It was an anti-tank missile fired by a Sparrowhawk if I remember correctly, still extremely impressive (I'm assuming you're talking about the live-fire exercise at the end of Fall of Reach). And while he walked away from it, the shields were definitely toast and he was propelled literally through the air.
>>
>>31541778
>>31541771
Think he meant the "muh honor" things that elites do, we're more pragmatic
>>
>>31541771
I hate to be that guy, but in the official Bungie lore, the Elites note that humans are very capable tactically and can go toe to toe with them on the battlefield. For gameplay dynamics, they made the marines retarded and you a God of War but as far as the lore goes, we are better in tactics than them in many cases. Mostly because Elites have muh honor folded 1000 times indoctrination and will sprint out into fire to demonstrate their bravery and shit like that.

The booklet that came with Halo 2's collector's edition has a conversation between two elites that basically say that.

>>>> EXTRACT OF SANCTIONED SANGHEILI EAVESDROP// FOR THE ATTENTION OF JIRALHANAE MILITARY ADJUNCT AMBASSADOR >>>
>The Humans are weak, but they are tenacious. Even the smallest ones hurl themselves against our defenses with honor. If only the Unggoy were as committed.

> I wonder about the Humans, Commander. Their technology is limited, but some of it is useful and their battle techniques are impressive. They are excellent strategists. But what I ask is this: Why have we not offered them the absolution of the Covenant? From the beginning of this war, the Prophets have made no attempt to absorb them or even offer the option of honorable submission. Why?
>Perhaps they fear them? We do not know where their homeworld is. Their pattern of retreat is either hopelessly random, or brilliantly conceived. What if the Humans have more power, more numbers than we suspect? What if they lead us to a trap?
>>
I just still don't get how Reach was even able to put up a as much of a fight as it did.

They had how many Assault Carriers in orbit, and even more Corvettes? Even if they didn't go straight to glassing the planet, orbital bombardment should have taken out pretty much every ground based defensive installation that fired more than a few shots. Noble-6 never should have had a Mass Driver to even shoot at the Assault Carrier to let the Pillar of Autumn escape.
I really can't believe the Covenant would be that fucking stupid.

If they did something in this year, we'd stand absolutely no chance. Even if we all realized how fucking stupid it was to fight among our own species on our home planet and united, we just wouldn't have the man power or space defensive measures to put up a decent fight. They would have to commit a pretty decent amount of their ground forces since even with our primitive infantry weapon technology, we're not that far behind what the UNSC had in the 26th century and would be able to put up an okay fight on the ground. 7.62 NATO was their primary small arms cartridge, not too far advanced from today, even without SPARATANs regular ol' UNSC Marines fought pretty hard.
>>
>>31552975
I think replacing "He ain't gonna jump no more." with "He ain't gonna drop no more." just to tune it to the themes a little bit more.
>>
File: tots.jpg (131KB, 1100x571px) Image search: [Google]
tots.jpg
131KB, 1100x571px
>>31556166
>I really can't believe the Covenant would be that fucking stupid.
Everyone was pretty stupid. Look at this formation against massed covenant forces. Imagine if the allies had a fucking jeep cavalry charge against a panzer division. IRL this would have cost them hundreds of thousands of men.
>>
File: Edward_Buck_sonriendo_H5G.png (379KB, 641x429px) Image search: [Google]
Edward_Buck_sonriendo_H5G.png
379KB, 641x429px
>he doesn't drop feet first into hell

What a fag lmao
>>
>>31556218
they call themselves "helljumpers" thought
>>
>>31556228
I thought that was a QRF for a covie landing force. I was a made dash to reinforce forces in contact so the they wouldn't be covie beachhead.

obviously shit went sideways but it's not that retarded
>>
>>31556228
Yeah, I thought that was kind of silly when I saw it too. Looked kinda neat to see a massive force like that, but the logic of a massive clustered force of light attack vehicles, a handful of tanks, and a bunch of ATVs with light air support against a fairly massive enemy base camp was just ridiculous.

>>31556263
But they drop from an orbital platform, not jump out of a plane like ye olde paratroopers of yore.
>>
>>31556166
>I really can't believe the Covenant would be that fucking stupid
It's common knowledge by now that the Covenant go full retard if there's even a small chance of acquiring Forerunner artifacts on a planet.
>>
>>31555873
Yeah, it definitely wasn't a nuke and it still fucked his shit up. He had a hairline fracture in his collarbone iirc

Then there was the time he crippled 4 ODSTs without power armor largely by accident. I think one of them dedded
>>
>>31556288
I understand them not just going straight to glassing the planet, but not priority targeting ground based defensive installations for orbital bombardment just doesn't make any sense. They had basically complete global coverage with space based weapons platforms, they had Reach literally in the palm of their three fingered hands. And it was the Elites leading the assault, not a bunch of dumb space gorillas.

>>31553175
>Sam died because of one shot to his armor breaching his suit.

Well, it wasn't that simple. It was the fact his early generation armor lacked a personal shield and he wouldn't survive getting back to the ship in open space with his suit breached.
>>
>>31556363
>But shipmaster, we can't bombard those defensive installations! What if the humans have housed valuable Forerunner artifacts in those?
>Well, shit, I guess we need to send in the infantry.
The Elites aren't any less capable of going full retard than the Brutes. The Elites just hide their retardation with the "muh honor" excuse.
>>
>>31556166

>we're not that far behind what the UNSC had in the 26th century and would be able to put up an okay fight on the ground.

Our current infantry weapons are far superior to anything the UNSC brings to the table. Their main assault rifle has a 36 inch long rifled barrel but is not accurate past 30 meters. Do you know how under powered a 7.62 NATO round has to be to achieve that?

They have tanks that are destroyed by several of those same rounds going through their exposed and raised crew compartments

With the no air/space support for either side the Army of Northern Virginia under LEE could and would most likely beat a Covenant army of Equal size. Because the rifled muskets that most of the army have would be more accurate and have a longer range then the standard issue weapons the Covenant have.

You have to fuck up big time if all your futuristic crap gets out ranged by the tech of people still using line infantry.
>>
>>31547914
Not him but gb2reddit
>>
>>31556454
>They have tanks that are destroyed by several of those same rounds going through their exposed and raised crew compartments
To be fair, that's due to game balance. IIRC, Halo: CE's vehicles were indestructible, so there had to be some way to take down a player in a Scorpion.

And even after adding destructible vehicles and making the Scorpion fragile as fuck for a tank, you'll still find players bitching that it's OP.
>>
>>31556454
Wrong. Everything you said is wrong
>>
>>31556454

>Their main assault rifle has a 36 inch long rifled barrel but is not accurate past 30 meters. Do you know how under powered a 7.62 NATO round has to be to achieve that?

The gameplay doesn't match the lore. The assault rifle is actually a very accurate gun with low recoil. It just isn't reflected as such in game because it would fit with the gameplay of halo to have a realistic assault rifle.
>>
>>31556454
>With the no air/space support for either side the Army of Northern Virginia under LEE could and would most likely beat a Covenant army of Equal size. Because the rifled muskets that most of the army have would be more accurate and have a longer range then the standard issue weapons the Covenant have.

>taking 50 seconds to reload while shielded energy weapon wielding fanatics charge your line

Lmao.
>>
File: zombie goasts.jpg (30KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
zombie goasts.jpg
30KB, 300x300px
>>31541023
Europe falls instantly except for Serbia, Switzerland and Russia

Dindus hold out a bit longer but sheer incompetence finally wipes them out

Kebab countries use it as an excuse to fight amongst themselves, Israel launches nukes randomly

Australia has trouble for a while but after a few weeks the Covenant casualties to the local fauna are unacceptable and they pull out.

Most Asian countries are literally saved by China. Japan squeaks through with heavy civilian casualties but survives thanks to the JSF. The surviving civilians, apparently unhappy that they weren't slaughtered, complain that the JSF is too effective. North Korea first tries to claim the Covenant are American spies, then tries to launch a nuke, which hits their own country.

South America is pretty fucked. Best case scenario is that some animal no one has ever seen before lumbers out of the Amazon and eats all the aliens.

Now for North America.
Canada's biggest problem is sheer numbers, they have the gun culture but not enough people to hold out on their own. Their best bet is literally to grab a literal SKS and literally go innawoods.

Mexico is fucked on the same level as Africa, there's more Mexican firearm competence but the governmental corruption and cartel fuckery has put them already in problem situation.

America's fine. White people start having an actual good reason to complain about Mexican immigration because of refugees fleeing across the border. West coast gangs band together to fight against 'dem alien niggas' and SWAT officers somehow manage to remember to shoot at the aliens not the niggers.

NYC is probably lost in a horrible way, replaces 9/11 in our national consciousness. NYCers continue to bitch about personal firearms even though they're probably alive due to them, upstaters finally have enough and literally build a wall to keep NYC out.

Texans barely notice the invasion and continue to focus on the feral hog menace.
>>
>>31556486

in CE you could shoot the Scorpion with a rocket to kill the driver. and Video game is the cannon strength of everything according to the developers,

>>31556543
Game strength is cannon strength according to the developers.

Also weapon stats came from the armory page that Bungie had before they took it down

>>31556547

A shield that drops from one 7.62 nato round to the head or a butt-stroke from your average human

but don't worry the big fanatic that brings his giant arm back for a wing across a wide arc who leaves himself open to a big ass bayonet to the vitals is totally going to be a threat.
>>
>>31541235
Fuck all this, everybody is ignoring bio-weapons.

They breathe our atmosphere, and the ones who don't still have xposed skin. Bio-weapons and gasses can be used to maximum effect. Ever seen them use a gas mask? Sure, some of them wear full helmets, but do you really think they have enough for even half of their forces?

Lets face it, if humanity is under attack we will use absolutely every means we have. We'll build weapons to gas them, poison them, rewrite their DNA into pure cancer, and create weapons with which to blind them as well.

We've seen conventional wars, and we've thought about what a conventional war would be with our current tech, but this won't be one of those. This will be absolute war, ending with total destruction of every Covenant asset. Shits gonna be brutal.
>>
>>31541418
>Those humans are complete retards. We've established this hundreds of times. They're using a 600 year old round to kill bad guys.
>In over a decade of war they've managed to reverse engineer almost nothing. They're absolutely, completely retarded. Not only that, but humans have decided to not use tactics that work on purpose for some reason.

This has always infuriated me about Halo. I mean its a fuckload into the future, and we're basically Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter? Not even? I mean I can appreciate the games for what they are, very fun, but its still dumb.
>>
>>31541690
wtf i hate red now
>>
>>31541023

The come in and take away our women with their BCC
>>
>>31557055
>do you really think they have enough for even half of their forces
Assuming it's just Earth up against all of Covenant space, then they wouldn't need even that many. Covenant industry vastly outstrips ours, so it shouldn't be much of a problem for them to issue fucktons of the space suits used by Sangheili rangers and space Grunts. Said space suits offer as much freedom of movement as regular body armor, so they wouldn't be that hindered, either.

It's also not too far-fetched to assume that the Brutes and Jackals have their own full-body space suits, too, seeing as both have been known to operate starships in the lore. Again, Covenant industrial capacity makes ours look pitiful, so issuing lots of those isn't a hassle.

And if that doesn't work, just throw more Grunts at it. There are probably more Grunts in the galaxy than there are bullets on Earth.
>>
>>31541418
>Not only that, but humans have decided to not use tactics that work on purpose for some reason.
What tactics would those be? Outside of special snowflake tactics in the books.
>>
>>31543408
Nah, he's saying the book came out around when Halo 3 did.
>>
>tfw you will never watch a grunt get fucking eviscerated by glorious 7.62x54r
>>
File: Nathan Fillion smug.jpg (43KB, 1022x577px) Image search: [Google]
Nathan Fillion smug.jpg
43KB, 1022x577px
>you will never be part of a ragtag group of ODSTs spread out over a supercity trying to find each other while avoiding alien invaders

Now I know why Buck is so smug
>>
>>31542562
But they are religious, leftists don't like religion.
>>
considering a significantly more futuristic version of humanity with 39 billion barely beat/held off the covenant (and they lost a third), we'd be fkd
>>
>>31559419
They just don't like christianity, they love islam judaism and all that other shit
>>
>>31541153
>What was the first mission of Halo 2?
>>
>>31541023
Accept them as part of society and get sweet fucking plasma weapons.
>>
>>31541023

I'd punch an arbiter in the face if he acted like a cunt to me.
>>
>>31557055

Why would bioweapons work on an alien species? That's a bit of a reach to say the least.

In any case, it doesn't go very well. Pulse lasers on the ships kill literally, hundreds, of incoming missiles. That's just for frigates/corvettes. You can use those to zap anything that flies pretty easily.

Fighting a war against dudes who give you second degree burns on a near miss and have complete air superiority isn't going to go well, even if their tanks do suck dick.
>>
File: science.png (189KB, 637x343px) Image search: [Google]
science.png
189KB, 637x343px
>>31559702
There's only one arbitur you dumb schizno.
>>
>>31559975

arbiter is gay lulz
>>
>>31557143
underrated
>>
>>31541153
http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/NOVA_Bomb

anon.....
>>
>>31561035
Well it does say it's the equivalent of 80+ thousand Tsar bombs. Compared to a NOVA bomb, current nuclear warheads are like a mouse fart
>>
>>31556945
>literally making shit up.
>>
>>31556945
>gameplay is cannon
no
>1 round of 7.62
fuck no
>>
>>31559419
Leftists like religions that are destructive to western civilization
>>
>>31561292
>>31561539

Its been 500 years and they have regressed in weapons tech.

the UNSC is a terrible sci fi military.
>>
>>31562686
Powered exoskeletons and reliable tilt-wing VTOL aircraft don't seem too bad.
>>
Would you assign certain soldiers certain UNSC weapons based on their physique or just give everyone an assault rifle/battle rifle?
>>
>>31562742
M41 SPNKRs for everyone.
>>
>>31562742
BRs for the common troopers, along with looted plasma pistols scavenged from all the dead Grunts. They'll be unstoppable.
>>
>>31550090
>simply spam nuclear tipped stealth crusie missiles
>2016 vs 25xx
Sure will be effective I bet!
Also banshees are their equivalent to an Apache or something
>>
>>31563113
Banshees don't seem to go very fast, even when boosting they don't get anywhere near super sonic. Also their light plasma cannons are really inaccurate and only useful for /really/ close air support.

Our air force would easily be able to match, if not surpass theirs in atmosphere. That is, assuming, we can get our missiles to lock on. Gravity propulsion drives might not make the best of targets for most of our air-to-air platforms, but a good gun run would definitely shred carapace.

Spirits and Phantoms have a fairly massive blind spot with no upward defenses, and the fairly slow emitter velocity for their plasma auto cannons also means they don't have shit for standoff distance engagements.

If we could actually get and keep birds in the air, we'd stand a pretty decent chance against them.
>>
I have a solid idea
Let's go to Mombasa
Find the rooftop that has the scarab gun
And use it to wipe out those damn Bosnians
https://youtu.be/a1iqFr7lC1E
>>
File: halo 2 covvie story.png (17KB, 767x556px) Image search: [Google]
halo 2 covvie story.png
17KB, 767x556px
>>31541478
I still don't understand how the Covvies were able to access and use certain Forerunner tech if they have Bio-metrics that are coded only for Forerunners and Human DNA. Or better yet, why the fuck nobody in the Covenant started asking questions when Humans started using Forerunner tech by just touching it or why the monitors referred to them as re-claimers.
>>
>>31556645
>Texans barely notice the invasion and continue to focus on the feral hog menace.

L M A O
>>
We all die, and our best efforts can only delay the Covenant's extermination of our species.

Which is fine by me, we will go down in their history books as the most horrific enemy they've ever fought until they're completely destroyed by the Flood 500 years later.
>>
>>31542070
The thermodynamic power of a Super MAC round would destroy a ship even if the shields somehow withstood the shot. They make nukes look like firecrackers.
>>
File: ODST drop bay.png (363KB, 583x341px) Image search: [Google]
ODST drop bay.png
363KB, 583x341px
>>31542154
I just want to drop from orbit with a platoon and operate.
>>
>>31556945
>A shield that drops from one 7.62 nato round to the head or a butt-stroke from your average human

Confirmed never played the games.
>>
>>31541023
Their was a good book I found at a dump once, was missing the last chapter though

> Aliens invade earth
> humans get rolfstomped for awhile
> Aliens start to run out of man power and munitions
> Aleins forced to use human labour and factories to make more weapons as war keeps dragging out
> can make weapons but not ammunition, didn't have the expertise to make normal weapons
> last chapter missing
>>
>>31565374
Going to need a name, anon
>>
>>31556547
>What are firing lines
>>
>>31565349
you will never get to 4v1 an elite
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYDklklJYog
>>
>>31541894
You're thinking of the Necrons.
>>
>>31541725
I do like how petty and underhanded we are as humans, we will become the universally accepted definition of "cunts"
>>
>>31542039
They fired that round at a pretty low velocity from the ODP, and im fairly certain (but dont quote me on this) that Corvettes dont actually have any shielding
>>
>>31542169
It was if my memory serves correctly, fired at a fairly low velocity from the ODP (Low velocity, in terms of a shell's maximum velocity), even then it still has a fuckton of kinetic energy behind the projectile
>>
>>31565927
Halo 2 remastered cutscenes were fucking god tier.
>>
>>31543622
No it was from an orbital platform, but definitely fired at a much lower velocity than its capable of
>>
>>31542514
but also take into account that the platform's MAC's are capable of firing at lower velocity's by only letting the gun generate a small amount of energy then firing the weapon. The projectile might not have had the maximum amount of inertia behind it
>>
>>31545449
We are separate species, yes. Thats how we even has a war with the Forerunners. But we were designated as the race who will succeed the Forerunners position as the 'top dogs' I suppose
>>
>>31557055
Keeping in mind that the only ones that don't breathe our atmosphere are the grunts
>>
>>31559830
Their immune systems have no idea how to handle your common cold or any other form of lowly bacteria found on earth, of course genetically engineered bio weapons would be very effecting. And assuming that bio weapons dont work simply because their biology is too different from ours, chemical weapons will still work charms. Think nerve gas for example
>>
>>31563760
>Gravity propulsion drives might not make the best of targets for most of our air-to-air platforms, but a good gun run would definitely shred carapace.

>You'll never brrrrrt the covenant air force
>>
>>31565341
Super MACs make my dick so hard
>>
File: IMG_20160929_135816.jpg (53KB, 614x579px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160929_135816.jpg
53KB, 614x579px
This is all so stupid.
Aliens would rape us.
The cov are only different because they're ground based military would suck ass. They have more planets. It's all wishful thinking but in the end we don't have enough bullets or bombs.
>>
>>31567024
They would eventually, but we would put up one hell of a fight.
>>
>>31565359

DMR shot to the head drops the shield

Marines butt-stroking them to the back drops the shield

The only good tech the Covies have is the ability to travel in space.

Everything else sucks cock because they still manage to lose ground battles to the UNSC which has horrible weapons compared to 21st century.

>>31562739
Those 2 things you have listed will most likely be in use by 2050 or before the end of this century.

If the UNSC wanted to fight the Covenant on equal terms in space they would of done nothing but developed slip space drives to the point where they can create slip space ruptures where ever they wanted to. Eg the center for a Covenant ship. But for some fucked reason for the past 300 fucking years the Humans of Earth created the Model T of Space travel engines and decided "Thats as far as we need to go"
>>
File: image.jpg (215KB, 1600x1113px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
215KB, 1600x1113px
>>31541023
Considering the fact we'd lose five Shermans for every Wraith destroyed, I'd say we could expect victory.
>>
>>31541389
While you thought like that as a kid nowadays kids only think on which filter they should use when they post their latest cullinary delight on instagram.
>>
>>31568269
>DMR shot to the head drops the shield
Canon difficulty is Heroic, so make that plural. Multiple shots. And humans in Halo could only pull that off with any amount of consistency due to smartlinked firearms and HUD implants. Even then, it's hard to pull off constant headshots on Heroic and Legendary because Elites on those difficulty levels are slippery bastards.

Plus, you'd have to get close to the Elites in the first place, which is hard if they're backed up by those bullshit Jackal snipers.

>melee
Not on Heroic, you're not, especially since today's humans lack the implants and cybernetics available to Halo's humans and Spartans. Also note that high-ranking Elites can survive direct rocket hits on Heroic.
>>
>>31567024
I can't help but mention, it's only today that I heard of Sling Blade, and I only just finished watching it. Amazing film... purely amazing... and I find it strange that this is also the day that I first see a pic of him on here. Very strange.

Mmm-Hmm.
Thread posts: 259
Thread images: 24

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.