[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

so /k/ i came across a handful of very large capacitors (350V

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: 18mo2ewema3j8jpg.jpg (48KB, 636x477px) Image search: [Google]
18mo2ewema3j8jpg.jpg
48KB, 636x477px
so /k/ i came across a handful of very large capacitors (350V 13,000uF) and although i didn't count id put it at about 20 or so in parallel they will add up to be (ballpark) about 16000 Joules worth fully charged...

My question is which would be a more efficient use of these, making a rail gun or a coil gun(pic related)

I havn't really done any sort of math as to the efficiency of either at the same joule-age so id be interested in getting /k/'s opinion as to which would get me the biggest bang for my capacitors
>>
Make a coilgun. You would need megajoules worth of storage for a railgun.
>>
>>31515048
have fun charging them
>>
Anon, just to be clear have you tried putting the caps in your butt? I just want to rule this out as a possible avenue, as you have a built in flesh barrel.
>>
1.21 Jigawats!!!
>>
>>31517872
I honestly read that as niggawats
>>
Railguns are much easier when using large currents.

Coilguns need to switch each coil on and off as the projectile moves. So you need mosfets that can handle thousands of amps for each coil and a way to calculate which coil to energize.

Avoid using wires, have short copper bars connecting capacitors and rails. You need something to give the projectile a push as it touches the rails or it will just weld it's self together. Projectile needs an aluminum sabot, ideally it will coat the rails in molten aluminum instead of wearing them down.
>>
File: railgun.png (41KB, 1043x890px) Image search: [Google]
railgun.png
41KB, 1043x890px
Here is how to build it. The railgun needs no switch because the projectile being shot into the rails activates it. Just charge it to 350V and fire the projectile into the rails somehow.

All the youtube builds I see screw something up. The conductive part must be aluminum, it has low resistance and melts at much lower temps than copper. Short stubby projectiles suck, you want a thin rod that is much smaller than the rails. Sabot part just needs to stop it burrowing into the plastic mid barrel, pretty much anything light and non conductive should work.

The U shaped tail is the most difficult part, it must be solid aluminum. You can actually build a cast and melt aluminum cans into it at home quite easily.
>>
As a slightly more practical endeavor, build a taser like device instead. post results.
>>
>>31517872
That is spelled gigawatts, but pronounced the German way as you have spelled it.>>31520175
>>
>>31520431
He could make a damn powerful pulsed yag laser
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.