[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any wargaming buffs here? I'm undertaking a large-scale

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5

File: USS Bunker Hill.jpg (904KB, 4288x2848px) Image search: [Google]
USS Bunker Hill.jpg
904KB, 4288x2848px
Any wargaming buffs here? I'm undertaking a large-scale project and could use some help.

My goal is to create a real-time, massive naval wargame to be played on an actual board, not a computer or something. The scale is yet to be decided, but ultimately the plan is to have a 15ftx15ft table representing about 500nmix500nmi of sea. And the maps would be based on real locations, so the topography of islands and landmasses and bathymetry would also be represented if relevant (like for sub operations).

The goal is to make it incredibly realistic. The type of shit that actual navies would do prior to supercomputers who could compute these situations for them.

But the issue is that I need to come up with a way of compiling nearly every single weapon system in both the US Navy and the Chinese Navy (I intend on expanding the rules to include other major naval forces, but for now that is more than enough).

After compiling all of these weapons and stats of ships (which I will limit to what is in service now or expected to be in service within the next 5 years), I need to find a way of determining how many AShMs or other missiles make it through CIWS screens, modeling damage done to ships, etc. A part of it can be regular wargame type shit (like rolling dice) but I'd prefer to have it biased more towards realism than fair gameplay.

I've already got a system worked out on how the two sides will play at the same time, so now I'm just faced with the gargantuan task of essentially compressing the work that computers do in simulating naval combat and put it into a rulebook that can be used by players in a physical game.

>tl;dr
I'm trying to create a naval wargame that can be played on a game board, I need to find resources both on the current weapon and shipboard systems of the US and China, and also any available data on the reliability and damage of these weapon systems when they hit their target, as well as how often they make it to the target without being interdicted.
>>
>>31514250
Just copy Harpoon and then steal the information for newer gear from CMANO.
>>
File: HMS Warspite.jpg (184KB, 1280x907px) Image search: [Google]
HMS Warspite.jpg
184KB, 1280x907px
And if this endeavor is successful, I'd like to expand it to include WWI and WWII era ships so scenarios could be played out in that way as well. In fact, it might be best if I started with that, as it is much easier to model the effects and accuracy of naval gunnery as compared to modern day missile systems, radar, CIWS, submarines, and the incredibly huge distances involved.

And if anyone is actually interested, the goal is also to have the game be about a 5v5 player game. Plenty of room for a lot more, but preferably not much less. The point being that it would be similar to a real naval structure in a fleet. An admiral commanding the force as a whole, sometimes with different divisions or squadrons commanded by, say, a rear admiral, with ships commanded by individual captains. Like I said, the game itself will be huge, played out most likely on a large open space on the floor, with those shuffleboard stick things to push around the pieces.

If I do the WWII era ship idea, it would also most likely require a lot of rulers and protractors and actual calculations for the determined speed of the enemy vessels, their bearing, range to target, etc.

Again, a large undertaking, I know. But I have a lot of free time and I've always wanted to take part in a wargame like this.
>>
>>31514250

>I need to find a way of determining how many AShMs or other missiles make it through CIWS screens, modeling damage done to ships, etc.

Good luck acquiring data that is ultra-mega classified. However, according to this video, made by a fellow /k/ommando, postulates that an Aegis destroyer would be able to stop roughly 32 supersonic missiles fired directly at it, or alternatively 20 supersonic missiles fired through its of field fire. Of course, when you have multiple Aegis destroyers working together with overlapping fields of fire, those numbers go up dramatically.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcwDfaY4OW4
>>
>>31514250
> I need to find a way of determining how many AShMs or other missiles make it through CIWS screens, modeling damage done to ships, etc.

90% of missiles fired will never find a target, or will just go hit some chaff/flares

CIWS more or less doesn't work.

>modeling damage done to ships,
Any hit puts the ship out of service, and will have to limp back/get towed to dry dock
>>
>>31514250

Just thinking about this gives me a headache, there's so many variables.

I mean, even if you do get the stats for the weapons and ships, how are you supposed to stat the non-qualitative stuff, like experience and training? US has total advantage with that.
>>
>>31514250
use the system CMANO uses.

everything has a probability of between 1-99 (two D10 rolled one at a time).

you need to roll under X to succeed.

Depending on the action X is the chance to decoy or chance to hit.

then there are modifiers.

For example.

Brahmos has a 95% chance to hit. It is operating in a jamming enviroment, the target in a 45 degree angle to the front has a jamming value of 20.

The chance ot hit is now 75.

Dice rolls and gets 81 - brahmos is on target.

Phalanx now has a chance to intercept.

Probability to hit of 60%

modifier for sea skimmer -10
modifier for supersonic -15

Needs 35 to hit, dice rolls 36

missile hits.

The biggest barrier to any tabletop game is miniatures however. good luck finding flat bottomed warships from a wide variety of nations at the same scale as each other and the same scale as the game.
>>
>>31514822
>The biggest barrier to any tabletop game is miniatures however. good luck finding flat bottomed warships from a wide variety of nations at the same scale as each other and the same scale as the game.
You literally can't do it. You need to use tiny dots to represent things on the scale he wants. Trust me, I've done this shit before.
>>
>>31514961
>>31514822
Yeah I wasn't planning on using very detailed miniatures, or miniatures at all. Rather I was just going to use a system of symbols to represent the various ship classes on the table and push those around instead of actual miniatures. Like the other anon said, if I did the WWII and WWI themed game, I could probably do it with very small miniatures, but modern naval warfare requires scales of hundreds of miles, if not a thousand or more. As such, you really can't use anything except dots or symbols to represent ships.
>>31514720
Yeah I'm wondering about that too. I suppose experience will give a buff to things like damage control, time between salvos, etc.
>>
>>31515347

It's probably a good idea to develop Generic "destroyer" statistics first and then tweak them based on what nation is using them if you choose to do so.
>>
File: bob-fighter-command.jpg (199KB, 960x739px) Image search: [Google]
bob-fighter-command.jpg
199KB, 960x739px
>>31515347
>system of symbols to represent the various ship classes on the table and push those around instead of actual miniatures

Very neat way of doing it.
>>
>>31514250

>My goal is to create a real-time, massive naval wargame to be played on an actual board, not a computer or something.
>real time
>not on a computer

Yea, ok.

>>31514370

That video was ok, but far, far from "realistic."
>>
>>31515802

>That video was ok, but far, far from "realistic."

It's probably as close as you're going to get to the workings of AEGIS without accessing classified material.
>>
>>31515830

Nah. It's doable to write actual simulations on this. It would maybe be a week or two of work.
>>
>>31515802
Yes, in real time. Not real-time as in 1 second equals 1 second in the game. But real time meaning both sides may move at the same time, there are no turns.
>>
>>31515731

>All the pointers are female

Why is this? Just an excuse to have QT's in the building?
>>
>>31515850

It's not going to happen without software. Whether that be a game or actually programming toys to communicate with one another.
>>
>>31515853

Women served as a good chunk of the auxiliary roles in WW2 Britain because obviously all the men were already enlisted.

AA gunners, engineers, ambulance drivers, firemen etc.
>>
>>31515866
>It's not going to happen without software
It happened all the time without software in the roughly 60 years since the advent of naval war colleges or their equivalent in the 1880s to the outbreak of WWII. Wargames were modeled in real time and used to test the conflicting tactics that had evolved during the age of steam. The only two conclusive naval engagements of that era, the Battle of Lissa and Battle of the Yalu, put forth conflicting theories on whether line abreast or line ahead was the superior formation, and whether or not gunnery or the ram was the dominant naval weapon. As such, wargames were conducted constantly at the naval staff colleges of the various maritime superpowers to refine their strategies and tactics.
>>
>>31515903

Carbed cars happened without computers too.

The only "naval" weapon at the time was large-caliber artillery. That's not the case anymore.

(Ignoring carriers and subs, which again, you can't do, because you need to run detection probabilities, depths, etc).
>>
>>31515923
As other anons have pointed out, modern naval weaponry can be modeled in real time as well when you consider the fact that, like naval artillery, the actual percentage that hit is very low. Obviously pauses will need to be made to calculate hits, damage, etc., but the point of the "real time" aspect is that you don't have one person making all of their movements and positioning before ending their turn and having the other person do theirs. That doesn't happen in real life.

The only real limitation to this aspect is that it pretty much limits the scenarios to situations when the opposing fleets have already spotted each other and committed to combat. It would obviously be unfair to be able to see the opponent's movements and yet have to "pretend" that your fleet hasn't yet detected them.

So for a wargame that simulates global-scale strategy where the locations of enemy fleets aren't known for sure, that is certainly beyond the scope of what I'm attempting. But a wargame of situational tactics and small-scale fleet engagements at ranges of several dozen to several hundred miles is certainly within the realm of possibility.
>>
>>31515964

First detection is absolutely key though - not only for attack, but for counter-measures.

Anyway, do your thing.
>>
>>31515347
>I could probably do it with very small miniatures, but modern naval warfare requires scales of hundreds of miles, if not a thousand or more. As such, you really can't use anything except dots or symbols to represent ships.

you can have two square boards for the formation of each fleet. Then a separate board / bit of paper to represent the battle space in between.

Most radar contacts and bearings can be found on the paper, and submarine / air attacks can be dealt with on the board.

DESU the game is too niche to attract many followers.

as a cold war, land based war gamer it's hard enough to find someone who plays any of the 3 games i play. And i live in a capital city of 600,000
>>
File: 160510-N-PX557-144.jpg (2MB, 2100x1398px) Image search: [Google]
160510-N-PX557-144.jpg
2MB, 2100x1398px
Go to the Naval War College and you'll play it a whole lot
>>
>>31514822
>>31514300

Hey, there is a company located in my state that does a lot of stuff like this, they focus mainly on WWI-Cold War, but they're a small enough outfit where they would be willing to actually talk to you and help. They make custom parts kits for wargames and they make custom games and parts for those. They're awesome.

http://www.historicalboardgaming.com/

In fact, they have a large sea battle board, which isn't quite on the same scale as what you're talking about, but it tells me that you guys are on the same wavelength. You might see if you can get pointers or even collaborate. If you get the board and mechanics figured out, you can more than likely get them to make custom molds and models for you.

board: http://www.historicalboardgaming.com/HBGs-Naval-Battle-Map--Large_p_1438.html
>>
>>31516056
>DESU the game is too niche to attract many followers
Oh, I'm well aware of that haha. I'm doing this mostly for a circle of friends that I have. I'm a cadet at a maritime academy, and there's a few of us here that are very interested in naval warfare and history. Armchair admirals, as it were. We've been floating this idea around for a while as an interesting way to put our NO U-tier arguments to bed.
>>31516139
I would if I could, senpai :(
>>31516201
This is very helpful, thank you. I knew that I couldn't be the only one interested in making something like this. It would be very helpful to collaborate with people who have a lot more experience in wargaming.

If I ever get a comprehensive rulebook written up, I'll be sure to make it available for download by any interested /k/ommando
>>
>>31516294

Hey I just realized they have a spot on their website specifically for this. Get the map set up, get some rules, and then come to them with your idea.

http://www.historicalboardgaming.com/Proposed-Games_c_550.html

>All ideas and games that Customers may be interested in as well as proposal from other game designers for their games to be published either a boxed game or maps. pieces, and rules offered on website. Basic ideas of game, proposed units, map,player aids list, and approximate Retail price.
>>
>>31516139
What's up with all the civilians there? I only see 4 uniformed naval personnel in the whole room.

Is the Naval War College mostly civilians or do the instructors just choose not to wear military attire?

And if it is mostly civilians: why? Wouldn't naval personnel have more experience to lecture on naval strategy and tactics?
>>
OP it sounds like you barely have anything figured out other than the fantasy of some super game in your head. I'm not going to do all the leg work while you just slap your fucking name on it. Interesting idea but i'm not getting paid sir.
>>
File: chk_captcha.jpg (302KB, 813x1085px) Image search: [Google]
chk_captcha.jpg
302KB, 813x1085px
They already did it OP. You just need to update some of the platforms and weapon systems to current stats.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.