[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

is marksmanship a dying art? will it go the way of fencing and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 7

File: carlos-hathcock.jpg (73KB, 736x506px) Image search: [Google]
carlos-hathcock.jpg
73KB, 736x506px
is marksmanship a dying art? will it go the way of fencing and archery soon? The military barely even teaches people how to shoot anymore since the only real point of infantry is to occupy cities and shoot 12 year olds who are playing with wires in the middle of the road. Smart rile technology is in it's infancy but i imagine a World War would change that quite quickly
>>
>>31512015

I don't see it dying off, but if technology renders it obselete, then so be it. Get good at the next thing.
>>
>>31512015
12 yr olds. Hah
What the best thing about shooting twenty two yr olds?
>>
>>31512097
There's twenty of them?
>>
>>31512049
in theory of smart guns become the norm, the soldier of the future will not be concerned with firing his weapon but almost entirely with small unit tactics and how he fits into his squad, how he is contributing to the current effort against the enemy. Physical fitness, presence of mind and quick decision making will be everything, which means hopefully we'll do the right thing and kick all the fatties and women out of the military, but I aint holding my breath.
>>
>>31512117
Damn right.
>>
File: 1462615688523.jpg (209KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
1462615688523.jpg
209KB, 1024x683px
>>31512015
Marksmen exist for a reason, anon. The ordinary soldier simply does not have the time to take those accurate shots required.
>>
>>31512015
Snipers and designated marksmen still exist.

However, for the average infantryman, being able to suppress the enemy us far more important.
>>
>>31512015

Infantry have always had a horrible shots fired to kill ratio. Get over it kiddo the average NPC in a call of duty on easy probably has a higher hit rate than most infantry men anywhere ever
>>
>>31512049
>being this much of an animal goy faggot

Accepting (((tech))) changing is why many things are going to shit, you passive fuck.
>>
At best a smart gun will tell you where to aim, not aim it for you.
>>
>>31512352
This.

>>31512015
Despite Calladooty, /k/'s special forces fantasies, and movies, warfighting is not about killing the enemy.
Closing with and destroying the enemy =/= killing the enemy.

Destroying the enemy could be anything from outmaneuvering the enemy, capturing strategic points, wasting away the enemy's morale, eroding his logistical capabilities, or even killing the enemy.
Since time immemorial, since groups of people have been fighting other groups of people, the purpose of infantry has been to maneuver against other formations of infantry and either destroy them outright or make them flee the field. Despite the fact that war has gotten deadlier as technology has made it so, the tactical and strategic goals of infantry have stayed much the same.
>>
>>31512304
That's because their role is less about killing and more about seizing important objectives and control areas.

Purposeful killing is for those specifically trained to that role.
>>
>>31512015
Bench shooting is killing marksmanship
>>
>>31512015
lol smartguns, you mean from trackingpoint or whatever the company was that went fucking bankrupt becauss their rifles take away some of the shooters discretion about shooting, work on incredibly impractical technology, can run out of batteries, can fail if the wind picks up in a sandy environment, requires electricity to even FIRE THE GUN, requires electricity for the optics to work AND you can only use their special snowflake ammunition for good results unless you are the luckyest anon to ever anon? yeah fuck that.
>>
>>31512015
What? I was an Infantryman. They taught me marksmanship, out to 500 yards. I qualled high sharpshooter or low expert. At least I wasn't a pizza box.

Tell that 12 year old talking shit.
>>
File: 1470932285738.jpg (133KB, 527x674px) Image search: [Google]
1470932285738.jpg
133KB, 527x674px
>>31512015
Marksmanship is still valued in the Middle East
>>
>>31514773

it's funny that /k/ people crave conventional warfare but fail to realize that it isn't won by specop operators in ghillie suits sniping at each other
>>
>>31517389

eh, I know that combat videos aren't 100% reliable but even when I watch ones put out by groups as propaganda, they show people using guns like idiots.

there are obviously militaries and militias that do have competent soldiers (Israel, Jordan, Turkey) but I doubt they are any better marksmen on average than western soldiers.

also, the Taliban isn't in the Middle East.
>>
>>31517196
You're a retard. If people thought like you technology would stagnate and we would still be beating each other with rocks.
>>
File: M48 in Yemen.jpg (519KB, 1200x825px) Image search: [Google]
M48 in Yemen.jpg
519KB, 1200x825px
>>
if you're asking whether everyone should be a good F-class type shooter who can engage with open sights at 300-1000 yards, no. then again, in my experience teaching nogunz people the difference between a shitty shooter and a half-decent marksman is about 10 minutes of explanation and demonstration followed by pointed instruction when you find flaws in their technique. I feel like one day at the range with average nogunz who aren't spooked by the guns yields huge improvements in accuracy and technique.
>>
File: 1411612424971.gif (1007KB, 240x240px) Image search: [Google]
1411612424971.gif
1007KB, 240x240px
>>31512015
Iron sights, indirect fire and strategic bombing have given way to CCOs, precision guided munitions and CAS. The only thing US soldiers and marines have to do is suppress the enemy, have reliable comms and call for fire. Marksmanship past 100m is almost irrelevant nowadays and almost every soldier has some other expertise in the command, control and intelligence process that makes a more valuable contribution to the mission than shooting the enemy in the head himself.
>>
>>31512015
Yes.

ARs as a first gun killed it.

People not buying single shot 22s killed it.
>>
File: oji-san-you-are-so-silly.jpg (29KB, 477x477px) Image search: [Google]
oji-san-you-are-so-silly.jpg
29KB, 477x477px
>>31514701
>>31517151
>>31517779
>>
US training still emphasizes marksmanship.
>>
>>31512304
what rifle is that?
>>
>>31517459
It's not the bullet with your name on it, but the others that says "to whom it may concern".
>>
>>31512015
What the fuck do you know OP?

Nothing. About shooting or the USMIL.
>>
>>31514701
>[unabombs internally]
>>
>>31517151

This is probably the last thing killing marksmanship.
>>
File: IMG_1136.jpg (194KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1136.jpg
194KB, 768x1024px
Nah man, marksmanship is basically the way of our gun culture in Switzerland.

The fact that everyone uses basically the same type of rifles, makes it even more interesting since it ends up being about the shooter itself other than the equipment.
>>
>>31512015

Not even a little bit.

>military barely blah blah

The military still spends a great deal of time teaching people to shoot.

In the civilian world, there are so many different shooting disciplines that you can become involved in, it's easy to become myopic and think that only your preferred styles require skill. For example, I think yelling at a cardboard silhouette 15 feet away from you making an angry stress face and emptying an ar15 into it before looking to your left and right dramatically is pretty dumb. But, the people that do it a lot are undoubtedly better at it than I am.
>>
>>31517196
Is that what happened to that gun?
It was hitting big all over the news a few years back I was wondering what ever happened to that.

Don't think marksmanship will ever really lose it's importance especially if a war between two nearly equal in strength forces ever end up fighting. The U.S. made the Iraq/Afghanistan invasion look easy even though they don't indiscriminately kill and destroy everything people still think that it's like shooting fish in a barrel they did such a good job.
>>
>>31518984
Sako Trg 42
>>
>>31512015
people still fence

people till arch

its a fucking hobby calm down.
>>
>>31519831
>bench shooting with a rest
>the easiest most skill free position
>not killing marksmanship

I want to see bench shooters try to shoot crouched, kneeling, standing and prone
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.