[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>posters on /k/ seriously believe that Mosin Nagants are bad

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 6

File: 1467113738616.jpg (808KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1467113738616.jpg
808KB, 1920x1080px
>posters on /k/ seriously believe that Mosin Nagants are bad purchases at the current price
>seriously claiming the "similarly priced" Savage Axis and Ruger American are better when they don't even come in shootable condition and you need to drop at least $100 more to get a scope that will stand up to a decent amount of shooting, and more money on top of that for scope bases and rings
>after all that you just get a soulless plastic hunten rahfle when compared to a Mosin Nagant
>even with 7.62x54r surplus being less common anything you could get the Savage Axis or Ruger American chambered in sans .223 will cost the same or more
Why do people seriously recommend those guns as "superior" alternatives to the Mosin Nagant?
>>
>$100 scope

If you wanted to start a bitter poorfag thread you should have just said so.
>>
File: images (2).png (5KB, 224x225px) Image search: [Google]
images (2).png
5KB, 224x225px
>>31511575
$299 for a brand new scoped hunting rifle that will do < 1" groups at 100 yards all day long, or $250-$300 for a nugget. Gee, I wonder.
>>
>>31511575
You can get a Yugo Mauser for a bit more and it's a much better rifle.

M44 carbines and Finn Nuggets are top tier though. PU snipers too.
>>
Counter-meme. Same reason people bash the K31.
The Mosin is a rather meh shooter, but it's still a great milsurp for the price, and unless you're already an excellent shot, you're not going to be able to appreciate the difference between an M91/30 and something 2-3x the price as anyway.
Pricing has gotten weird, but for a cheap first centerfire rifle, I'd still recommend a nugget.
>>
>>31511632
>not a PSA AR or wasr
>>
The short buttstock, straight comb, and metal butt plate, combined with prices that have more than doubled in the past five years mean that we can no longer overlook the disadvantages of the mosin as a practical rifle, especially for first time buyers who just want a gun to shoot and don't have a deeper appreciation for the history behind the gun.

Long story short, the mosin is in a totally different price bracket now, and is no longer the cheapest centerfire rifle you could buy. Plus, everybody knows about Mosins, and part of /k/'s function is to provide advice to beginners about their options, so now we tell them about savages.
>>
>>31511632
>excellent shot
today I learned mediocre and excellent mean the same thing. Starting with a shit rifle that can't hit anything means you stay a shitty shooter. If all you want to do is blast at dirt then sure Mosin->sks->ak is a great progression.
>>
>>31511614
>$299 for a brand new scoped hunting rifle
>implying you can get one with a scope at that price
Last I checked one with a cheap scope will set you back about $400, at which point you could save about $100 more and build an AR-15. If you're going to have a soulless rifle it might as well be an AR.

>>31511630
I honestly just hate the way things have gone with bolt action rifles now days. I wouldn't argue against other milsurps or used bolt action rifles that at least have sights on them as opposed to a cheap scope that can get damaged or lose zero if your rifle gets dropped or knocked over. While I don't advocate abusing guns I don't really like the idea of having to baby them, especially a cheap first gun.
>>
>>31511575
>soulless

Complete faggotry.
>>
File: fresh_nugget.jpg (20KB, 500x130px)
fresh_nugget.jpg
20KB, 500x130px
i want to buy a new production one

also people were arguing in another thread yesterday about if molot was ever going to make these and people were saying no

its right fucking here: http://www.molot-usa.com/product_info.php/cPath/28/products_id/62
>>
>>31511726
>Last I checked one with a cheap scope will set you back about $400
Watch big box stores for sales. $299 is a routine sale price for a scoped Axis. Probably that price 1/4-1/3 the time at Dick's.
>>
Mosins used to be the Hi-points of bolt action rilfes, now they are expensive Hi-points.
>>
>>31511788
Decided to check the prices again and apparently they have gone down since the last time I checked so I guess it isn't to bad now. Still really don't like the cheap scopes that tend to be used with people's low cost bolt action rifles when compared to iron sights though due to durability reasons.
>>
>>31511788
Yes a bargain bin sight slapped on that wont hold a zero. What a great raifu.
>>
>>31511726
That's part of the reason I prefer milsurp bolt-actions over modern ones. They feel like they can take a lot of abuse for someone new to guns.

I also don't like relying on scopes, so having irons is nice too.
>>
>>31511848
They use Bushnell's low end scopes so they should at least hold zero when shooting. It's not like they're using UTG, BSA, or the other absolute garbage people used in the past.
>>
File: BOI.gif (532KB, 460x259px)
BOI.gif
532KB, 460x259px
>>31511726
>Not making multi-hundred yard shots with irons
>>
>>31511705
Last time I checked Mausers have shorter buttstocks, crappier sights, metal butt plates, and is generally regarded as the top tier in surplus. So using those qualities to bash the mosin is retarded.

>>31511825
So you mean cheap, durable, and reasonably accurate? I mean that, and Mosins are ridiculously reliable and idiot proof.
>>
>>31511714
Dude, most of my M91/90's shoot about 2MoA. That is PLENTY for a new-ish shooter to learn with. Hell, I've outshot guys with modern hunting rifles with my old Izhevsk. I actually placed second at a local match with it about a month ago. Incidentally, the winner was rocking a rather beat-to-hell K31....

In any case, learning on a suboptimal rifle can be incredibly helpful. You learn better habits that way, because you don't have an AR that can just fix all your bad form for you.
>>
>>31511575
>even with 7.62x54r surplus being less common
That's a funny way to spell extinct. It's gone the way of black tips. No more will ever come.
>>
>>31511848
Holds a zero just fine, newfriend. Light, accurate, inexpensive, and reliable.
>>
>>31511895
>So you mean cheap, durable, and reasonably accurate?
Yeah, that's what they used to be.

Now they are still durable and reasonably accurate, but better rifles can be bought for a similar or marginally higher price. Would you buy a Hi-point priced like a Glock?
>>
>>31511889
>hunting for dislocated shoulders.gif
>>
>>31511938
If hi points had been through a world war, i would.
>>
>>31511575
I bought a Ruger American in .223 and whatever I spent extra for the rifle I'm pretty sure I've already made up for in cheaper ammo. Cheaper ammo = more shooting = more practice = becoming a better shot. That being said I agree Ruger American's should all come with irons.
>>
>>31512010
Then you do not care about quality, you are just being sentimental. Whatever floats your boat I guess.
>>
>>31512010
>I do not know what weapons World War 3 will be fought with, but I do know that WW4 will be fought with Hipoints
-Obama
>>
>>31511575
>Mosins
>Now cost around $250 for a decent condition 91/30
>x54r has risen in price, almost as expensive as .308
>Bushnell and other companies make reliable optics with pretty clear glass for around $100
>Slap it on a Savage Axis, Ruger American, or Tikka T3 and you get a better rifle that's more accurate and more capable than a Mosin for about the same price or slightly more money

Why are Mosin fanboys so retarded? I own 3 Mosins, but I know there are greener pastures. Even my M39 doesn't hold a candle to most basic hunting rifles nowadays.
>>
>>31511575
Why not buy an American gun instead, you faggot slavaboo
>>
>>31511575

>lurk on /k/ for years as underage b&
>parents hate guns
>finally move out and get job
>excited for buying my first gun
>mosins are now $200+

welp, there goes my dreams. guess I'll need to save for the next three years for another $150.
>>
>>31512164
>rifle with Bushnell scope gets dropped or knocked over
>falls on scope
>loses zero or possibly damages scope
Really doesn't compare.
>>
>>31512241
Yeah I'm in the same boat, it sucks. Just do what I did and get a Ruger American it's a great rifle, and save up for a Springfield or something really nice from WW2.
>>
>>31512372
You drop pretty much any scope and it'll lose zero.

You drop a rifle in the right way, irons will lose zero as well. Your average /k/ommando is taking their rifle to a range, not Stalingrad. Unless you decide you absolutely hate your rifle and want to throw it against trees repeatedly, go ahead and buy a Mosin. Otherwise, the Mosin is a piss-poor choice for a first rifle in general.

If you absolutely demand a milsurp for a first rifle, get a Mauser action. They're a lot better guns overall.
>>
>>31511575
I'm currently in talks with a guy to buy his 7.62x51 1967 Ishapore Enfield 2A1. It kicks the Mosin's ass for the place as best surplus rifle.

>uses widely available ammo that is currently produced in various loadings
>twice the magazine capacity
>can be loaded via stripper clips or by magazines.
>classic design dating back to pre WW1 but made with 1960's level metallurgy and QC
>more accurate and smoother functioning than any mosin could hope of
>the last good thing the poo in loos made since it was all built with British Enfield tooling in a factory designed built and originally managed by the British.
>>
>>31512387

Still going to need to save for a while because I can't see any ruger americans online for any less than $300, though that's just probably due to me not knowing where to look.
>>
>>31511575
>buying surplus rifles for actual use
Get a real rifle for actual use and do fun stuff with the rest.
>>
>>31512476
Ishapore Enfields are really underrated. Probably the currynigger stigma, but they made fantastic rifles back in the day.
>>
>>31511575
Why don't you just make more money so you can buy nicer things
>>
>>31512507
Its a shame the British concept of having your shit together was lost after a generation without their rule.
>>
>>31512414
>You drop pretty much any scope and it'll lose zero.
Except that's wrong. The US military wouldn't be issuing any optic to soldiers like they do currently if simply having your rifle get knocked over or dropped could take it out of commission until you can rezero it at a range.

>You drop a rifle in the right way, irons will lose zero as well.
Good luck achieving that with most surplus rifles. Most would require beating the sites with a hammer to do enough damage to cause them to lose zero.

>Your average /k/ommando is taking their rifle to a range, not Stalingrad.
>implying there aren't plenty of ways a rifle could fall on its scope at the range
I've seen rifles leaning against things fall and rifles fall off tables. You don't have to be fighting in a war to want a scope that won't get damaged or lose zero from a simple fall.
>>
>>31511896
An AR platform will actually amplify weaknesses in your shooting form, not hide them. They have much slower lock time. Hence why PRS/F-Class people use bolt options. Bets way to hide flaws in form is to shoot a heavy rifle with a thick barrel.
>>
>>31511575

Can I buy a nugget in .22-250?
>>
>>31511726

Sporting rifles are sold with clean barrels now because literally everyone is going to mount an optic. See through rings are absolute trash and not worth mentioning, so unless you've got QD mounts, irons are going to be in the way.

For what it's worth I leaned my .30-30 on the side of my truck on my first hunting trip and it slid off and bent the front sight blade, so there ya go.
>>
>>31512969
not unless you wanted to pay more than a higher quality .22-250 rifle
>>
>>31513048
>I leaned my .30-30 on the side of my truck on my first hunting trip and it slid off and bent the front sight blade,
What make/model?
>>
>>31512372

Agreed anon, your lifestyle is far too dangerous and rugged to own things with even an infinitesimal chance of breaking under abuse, no matter how useful they are.
>>
>>31511575
>putting a scope on milsurp
>>
>>31513106

Saddle ring '94, mfg. 1906. Family rifle.

She's old but she's by no means a safe queen so it wasn't the end of the world. Straightened the blade out and rezeroed without problems.
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.