[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /k/, I'm going to a gun show later today. I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 8

File: sks.jpg (2MB, 4500x1684px) Image search: [Google]
sks.jpg
2MB, 4500x1684px
Hey /k/,

I'm going to a gun show later today. I'm looking to buy my first rifle (most likely an SKS) but I'm a fucking autist and don't know what to look for when negotiating a price.

What is proper etiquette when handling weapons at a gun show? I've done some research on the rifle, mainly with identifying the different variants. But I'm new to guns and have virtually no handling experience, and I don't know the names for all of the parts.

How can I inspect a rifle with amateur knowledge, while still trying to "act experienced" so I don't get preyed on by vendors looking to make more money than they should?

My budget for an SKS is $400, but I can see myself going up to $450 should it be in great condition and comes with some ammo/sling/etc. Does this sound reasonable given the notorious gun show inflated prices?
>>
Look for matching serial numbers and make sure the barrel isn't shot out
>>
File: SKS buyer's guide.jpg (859KB, 950x4000px) Image search: [Google]
SKS buyer's guide.jpg
859KB, 950x4000px
>>31510734
If there's a sign that says "don't touch"

don't

fucking

touch.
Otherwise, follow your common sense rules on gun safety. don't muzzle sweep, don't be a nigger, and don't act like a "know-it-all". 400 will -probably- get you a Yugo or a Norinco. don't buy a bubba'd one unless it's got a significant price markdown.
>>
>>31510760
And feel free to be thorough with questions if they want your money they can put up with it
>>
>>31510734
SKS' are great guns. I wouldn't pay more than $300 for one though. It's certainly not worth that much to me. That's halfway to a very quality starter AK or AR. Shit, you can get Garands for $800. But if your mind is set on it, yes ~$400 with gear is a fair price for a package with cleaning tools/sling maybe a crapco item or two and probably not a bayonet.
Inspecting the rifle
-Look at the crown of the muzzle for wear and tear
-look down the barrel
-look for tooling marks (ie if someone took a tool to it)
Also, look for one in a wooden stock and hopefully with original metal mags. I hear the large capacity after markets are hit and miss.
>>
>>31510760

How can i identify that a barrel is "shot out" or not?

>>31510767
Yeah I have common sense. I'm hoping to get a Norinco since the grenade launcher mount and lack of chrome on the Yugos doesn't sound good to me (but I am currently a nogunz so I'm not sure how much any of this matters. I know chrome matters for corrosion resistance).
>>
>>31510767
why are they so expensive in murica?

i just bought one for 200 canadian dollars (150 USD) in canada
>>
>>31510790
Depends on the SKS. and prices have inflated just like mosins.

A Russian SKS is every bit worth 500. but that's not so much for a rifle for use but a collector's gun.

I paid 300 for a Yugo, but that was years ago.
>>
>>31510797
Same way as the mosin. Their popularity increased due to being an entry level rifle and everyone is buying guns now. So, sellers broadcast "last crate, not many left!" and hike the price up and people actually pay the inflated price enough to keep them in the $400 range.
>>
>>31510797
Canadians don't have to deal with import bans.
>>
>>31510809
OP again, I'm also pretty sure we restricted the imports on them whereas Canada did not.
>>
>>31510760
Look down it and make sure the rifling is still good there are pictures on Google of what to look for. I would post a guide but I'm on mobile
>>
>>31510820
Well yeah, but two years ago you'd find them all over pawn shops for $250 hell a fully tapco'd one would be $300. Now they're going for $400-$500 for Norinco! If it were Russian or Yugo I'd gladly pay that much.
>>
>>31510821
I fucked up the reply this is for your question on how to check if it's shot out
>>
SKS or CZ 527 for more-accurate-than-an-AK 7.62x39 plinker?
>>
>>31510734
If you're going to pay more than $300 for an SKS:
Inspect the bore
Inspect the crown
Ask to field strip and pull the bolt out, shake it and listen for a click-click-click; this means the firing pin is free-floating and won't cause slamfires on you
>>
>>31510844
Yeah, I got it. Thank you.
>>
>>31510855
Ah, see, now this is what i was getting at with my original post. I'm an amateur and have no handling experience. I don't know how to field strip the rifle, and I probably wouldn't know how to put it back together. I guess I could watch a video, but still.
>>
Are you wanting one with a bayonet?
>>
File: 31Vkpw1weUL.jpg (13KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
31Vkpw1weUL.jpg
13KB, 500x375px
>>31510791
ask if they have a light for you to use
Gun shops generally have pic related, use it to shine down the barrel and look into it.
Ill reply to this with a pic of what you should be looking for.
If they dont have a light like this, you could bring a flashlight and try to angle it so it shines through, though that might require you to actually disassemble the gun. You need to google a guide if it comes to that
>>
>>31510870
There are plenty of youtube videos, but simplified:
on the very back right side of the receiver, there's what looks like a tiny latch; flip it counterclockwise 180 degrees and pull it out. the dust cover should pop back
Pull the dust cover off, there should be a long spring attached to a guide rod. Push it forward then lift it up and out.
Now your BCG can be removed. Pull it to the rear. Be careful, because the bolt (small square part about the size of your thumb) can fall off.
Pull the bolt off and shake it. If you hear a clicking, the FP is free-floating and you're good.

That's as much as you'll ever need to field strip an SKS. It's stupid simple. It's a good habit to get used to learning how to field-strip a gun before you buy it so you can inspect it; I've sent guns back that were bought "new" because the carbon buildup on them was at least 250 rounds worth, which a "new" rifle should not have.
>>
>>31510902
Ok, so this is a pic of an okish condition.
notice how there are little scratches and chips taken out of the rifling. The cleaner the better, any deep gashes are a big no-no.
in addition to this, look for greasy cosmoline buildup on any part of the gun, see how smoothly the bolt moves, and inspect the iron sights.
good luck lad, I may be getting an SKS myself soon.
/k/ is a shitty community btw, dont get embroiled in the memery and BS that goes on around here. Find some actual enthusiasts irl, avoid wannabe operators and tactacool faggots.
>>
>>31510892
Yes

>>31510902
I just watched a guide on how to strip it, but shouldn't simply taking the bolt back allow enough room for a light/visible barrel?

>>31510912
Yeah I just watched a video and it basically did just that.

How can I identify carbon build-up? Worn rifling is obvious but isn't carbon build-up just the result of a poorly maintained rifle? Can that actually damage the barrel in some way or are you just using that as an example of something to look out for?

>>31510927
Yeah I've heard of cosmoline. I know it's basically gun jelly that apparently smells like..gasoline? Is the "mineral spirits" cleaning just a bad meme or is that the right way? The whole "leaving it out in the sun" jsut sounds like it'd dry and harden whatever stuff and fuck up the rifle big time.

Thank you all so far for the noob tips.
>>
File: image.jpg (64KB, 559x484px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
64KB, 559x484px
>>31510927
Nah fampai /k/ is gr8
>>
>>31510941
On an SKS, the bore is going to be your main concern followed by the firing pin. Almost every SKS is going to either have some carbon or cosmoline somewhere on it. Yes and no; carbon won't damage your barrel, but if you're looking at, for instance, a Yugo SKS, they don't have chrome-lined barrels so if someone fired corrosive rounds through it and didn't clean the bore, the bore could be massively pitted and rusted-out.

I was mainly using carbon as an example of why it's always good to field-strip before you buy, but with non-chromed guns, residue can corrode the bore as well.
>>
>>31510979
Alright, thank you. I'll look out for that before I make the purchase.
>>
>>31510941
Good bayonets are fun
>>
>>31510941
Leaving your slav shit out to sweat is real.

I put mine in a garbage bag for 3 days like 5 years ago and i still have a sweaty mosin
>>
Save yourself getting screwed over and order a hand select from classic arms.
>>
>>31510734
What ZIP OP? Got a rifle for sale.
>>
>>31511093
I'm in VA, what's your price?
>>
just get an ar-15 u fuckin ididot lol why would u get anything else wow
>>
>>31510797
Popularity, election and import bans
>>
>>31511163
Muh politics.
>>
>>31511134
In California, so probably inflated beyond what you'd pay in VA, I'd go 500 to a fellow /k/ommando. Yugo M59/66, all matching numbers (including stock), completely original other than spigot demill (CA requirement), good bore.
>>
File: 1474615655992.png (1017KB, 665x663px) Image search: [Google]
1474615655992.png
1017KB, 665x663px
>>31511318
>M59/66
>500 americano dollaroonies
>>
>>31511370
That's cheap given the situation. Prices where I'm at are 475ish for Norinco export SKS, 650+ for Yugo. Anything better than Yugos is weapons grade unobtainium.
>>
>>31511226
No more like everyone panic buys and drives prices up
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgCoG4eT0p0
>>
>>31511415
Those prices have been steady for a while. I bought my Yugo in 2007 for 475. InfLatin accounts for where we're at now. Few people are willing to demill an SKS to then deal with the paperwork hassle of bringing it into CA and selling it, thus they are hard to come by.
>>
>>31510951
>bunch of NEET americans with 0 combat experience that fetishize slavs and talk about how soldiers die for the jews, all the while being 11b/ MEPS reject/ civilian
Im generalizing a lot, there are some cool peeps here, but too many fags to make it worth it
>>
File: CloseButton.png (47KB, 204x204px) Image search: [Google]
CloseButton.png
47KB, 204x204px
>>31511596
This is all you gotta push my dude.
>>
>>31510797
I remember my father buying 2 of them for $80 a piece back in the nineties.
>>
>>31511653
I saw this thread on the frontpage m8
>>
>>31511596
The fags are half the fun. It's like a perpetual train wreck
>>
File: 1475176720280.jpg (100KB, 392x409px) Image search: [Google]
1475176720280.jpg
100KB, 392x409px
>>31511720
I'm telling you to close your god damn browser and go outside.
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.