[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So, /k/. I've got a little conundrum for you. I heard a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: ff28a4a09ea61b984746109e9404e789.jpg (613KB, 2000x1600px) Image search: [Google]
ff28a4a09ea61b984746109e9404e789.jpg
613KB, 2000x1600px
So, /k/. I've got a little conundrum for you.

I heard a story recently about a dude who tried to sue pepsico in 1996 over false advertising -- a promo commercial reported that you could redeem an AV-8 Harrier jump jet for 7 million pepsi points. Pepsi didn't expect someone to 1. actually gain that many, and 2. push the issue to court.

This sounds awesome, doesn't it? Unfortunately, I heard the dude lost the case because it was established a civilian couldn't actually own one legally. That brings me to my question.

Is that shit true? Can I really not own a fucking jump jet? You can buy govt decommissioned apaches and old tanks if parts of them are registered as DDs; why can't you do the same with a fighter jet? What the fuck, /k/?
>>
Fighter jets as clear back as the 60's and 70's still have classified parts in them.

Old tanks and Apaches don't.

The end.
>>
>>31504003
This guy owns 3 last I heard.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art_Nalls
>>
>>31503954
The decision was a bit more complicated than that.

Basically, the court didn't say it was ILLEGAL to own a Harrier. They just said that Pepsi's commercial did not constitute a legal offer to give away a Harrier, and also pointed out that a reasonable (ie: not utterly retarded or autistic) person would realize that the Harrier part was a joke.

The White House also declared that in order for any civilian to own a Harrier, it had to have its VTOL capability removed, which completely defeats the point of having a Harrier in the first place.
>>
Didn't they give him like a lifetime supply of pepsi or something? I remember this story
>>
>>31503954

I know for a fact that it is legal to own a jump jet. I saw a privately owned harrier at an airshow about a few weeks ago.
>>
>>31504144
Art Nalls show harrier still has vtol
>>
>>31504144

>The White House also declared that in order for any civilian to own a Harrier, it had to have its VTOL capability removed, which completely defeats the point of having a Harrier in the first place.

Completely wrong. I have seen a privately-own harrier hover myself with my own eyes.
>>
>>31504182
>>31504187
Well, the Pepsico case was 16 years ago, so rules might have changed by then.
>>
>>31504199

They should have just bought him the damn place. What's a harrier to a global corporation like Pepsi? Chump change.
>>
>>31504230
Pretty sure that the Marines and Air Force weren't about to give away a Harrier, and I'm also pretty sure Pepsi wasn't going to throw away $23 million to a single autist.
>>
>>31504144
What's so secret about the Harrier's vtol tech? My dad was an aeronautical student in the UK and went to see the 'Flying Bedstead' (Google it) in person. It was published in many journals and magazines by the late 1970's.
>>
>>31504642
I think it's more that the White House didn't want random civilians tooling around in fully functional Harriers.
>>
>>31503954

The guy never actually GOT 7 mill points. Since those contests have to include "no purchase necessary" options and had a provision for buying pepsi points, he essentially offered to buy a harrier for around 700k.

The court case claimed it wasn't a legal contract but advertising.

As for the whole VTOL thing, i thought it was the flight and avionics that where "classified" which means you can buy a harrier but it would never fly.
>>
You can own your own Harrier it's 100% legal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PHcdn8R4d4
>>
>>31504251
>I'm also pretty sure Pepsi wasn't going to throw away $23 million to a single autist.
I mean, I would totally do that but that's why I'm not in charge of Pepsi.
>>
>>31504678
>the white house

thats not how regulations in the US work, you foreign fuck.

there are no regulations against civilian held VTOL aircraft in the US, and there never were, nor would "THE WHITE HOUSE" become involved in a civil court proceeding.

>>31504003
you're a fucking moron, shut the fuck up

>>31504144
>The White House also declared that in order for any civilian to own a Harrier, it had to have its VTOL capability removed, which completely defeats the point of having a Harrier in the first place.

you're a fucking moron, and probably a brit, shut the fuck up

>>31504251
>give away

there are shit loads of privately owned and operated fighter jets. Pick up a copy of the Dupont Registry sometime, or just fucking google it.

>>31504678
you're 14 years old.

>>31505430
>As for the whole VTOL thing, i thought it was the flight and avionics that where "classified" which means you can buy a harrier but it would never fly.

1) you dont need avionics to fly a plane.
2) anything the government doesnt want you to have is removed before the sale. The same way that fighter jets are sold to allied nations without certain types of radar or communications equipment.
>>
>>31509214
Here's the cunt worth the answer to everyone's question. Thanks mate; you fucking idiot.
>>
>>31509259
go brush your teeth
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.