[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can Rhodesian Fire Force tactics be applicable to modern

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5

File: Fire Force.jpg (83KB, 650x447px) Image search: [Google]
Fire Force.jpg
83KB, 650x447px
Can Rhodesian Fire Force tactics be applicable to modern day conflicts?
>>
It seems like first world countries might get pissy about some of the risks

>drop off a bunch of paras to cut off an enemy
>they land in the middle of a bunch of hadji
>ded

But yeah, MRAPs and helicopter CAS are wonderful things in COIN, which is why the US likes using them.
>>
File: fire_force_2_1200.jpg (277KB, 1200x825px) Image search: [Google]
fire_force_2_1200.jpg
277KB, 1200x825px
>>31501792
>>
>>31501831
Firestorm operations had an 80:1 kill/death ratio would it not be more effective than current COIN tactics?
>>
File: fire_force_1_1200.jpg (366KB, 1200x825px) Image search: [Google]
fire_force_1_1200.jpg
366KB, 1200x825px
>>31501792
>>
>>31501792
>modern day conflicts
Against whom?

If insurgents all hiding in a general area with no clear definition of the boundaries of their defensive positions, refer to
>>31501831

If a real defensive position, then it could work. Everything is MET-TC dependent, of course, but it would work better with assaulting a real defensive position. It is, essentially, the same idea as any flanking maneuver, except the fixing element is in the sky and does not assault through the objective.
>>
File: 8f615651b0b7336b71d2e6030e386405.jpg (305KB, 736x1084px) Image search: [Google]
8f615651b0b7336b71d2e6030e386405.jpg
305KB, 736x1084px
>>31501902
>Against whom?

Are there any modern day conflicts that come to mind where this type of warfare could be applicable is what I mean.
>>
>>31501974
The Falklands. Desert Storm. Arma 3.
>>
>>31502008
He probably means counter insurgency conflicts
>>
Mostly still an okay plan depending on AA assets available to the defenders. MANPADS have changed the game enough that the whole paratroop into a nonpermissive environment thing just isn't going to happen unless completely unavoidable. Replace that with more choppers and it's a pretty standard air assault plan.
>>
Against weakly armed dinndus in africa, sure. Against hadjis with MANPADS, no
>>
Rhodesians HAD to use Fire Force because they had no heavy lift helicopters.

In the heat and altitude an Alouette could barely get off the ground with four troops and even touching down was risky because it might never get back off the ground.

These days a Chinook can safely drop off fifty fully armed and armoured soldiers wherever you need them.
>>
>>31502107
>and even touching down was risky because it might never get back off the ground.
Even with those 4 soldiers now off the bird?
>>
>>31502030
It was designed to attrit insurgents or completely destroy them before they had a chance to flee. I don't imagine many insurgents would want to stick around and get destroyed by fire from the helicopters.

However, in my mind, I cannot visualize the dropping of paratroopers as having a favorable outcome in an urban environment. I doubt they'd be shot from the ground floating down, but their location when they hit the ground is not exact.
Also, even with an OP or a drone or whatever, it would be very difficult to tell in an urban environment where the clear boundaries of the enemy's defensive position are. If it was a city like Fallujah or Mogadishu, your individual paratroopers may be swarmed with insurgents. They may only be a couple of blocks from one another, but be entirely cut off from each other.

Another option is to rappel in from helicopters. This may not be an option because of anti-aircraft capabilities of the defensive position.

I feel the Rhodesian Fireforce tactics would be far better suited to a rural environment like the one it was designed for.
>>
>>31502136
not that anon, but yes. They were one of the first helis produced in mass. The engine was a lil weak for the weight and Rhodies only had 6 of them.
>>
>>31502136
Yes.

There were days where you could have it running full power and it just wouldn't lift off the ground.
>>
>>31502187
Nigger you dumb as shit No 7 Squadron had 34 of their own, they acquired more throughout the war and by 1978 were beginning to convert to Hueys.
>>
>>31501792
It IS modern tactics, just without fancy pants technology to suplpement it.
>>
File: Alouette.png (159KB, 1656x492px) Image search: [Google]
Alouette.png
159KB, 1656x492px
>>31502400
They had 6 Alouette 2, you dumbfuck. The 3 didn't had a undersized engine
>>
>>31502197
>>31502187
>>31502107
What a shit helicopter..

I understand altitude & air temperature messing with choppers, as I ride around in R44's for work sometimes.

But seriously, how do you not give a chopper not enough rotor to just get off the ground.
>>
>>31502509
it was one of the first helicopters to be used by militaries. Was hot shit back then, it's still used for training and by nigga countries
>>
>>31502509
The average elevation in Rhodesia is 1.4km above sea level. Consider that the MAXIMUM attitude of an Alouette is 2.3km. Soon as summer sets in the payload goes even further down.

It's a bad operating environment for a light utility helicopter from the 50's.
>>
>>31502509
Not a shit helicopter at all.

Just old and in a bad environment.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.