[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /k/ so id like to hear your thoughts. I graduated hs last

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

File: 1474820028092.jpg (37KB, 562x600px) Image search: [Google]
1474820028092.jpg
37KB, 562x600px
Hey /k/ so id like to hear your thoughts. I graduated hs last june and want to join the marines. Either as infantry or going to marksman training and joining MARSOC, im not sure of the process to get in as recon (yes i will do plenty of research) but im curious what you guys have to say. I was also thinking of doing a quick stint in college with a military scholarship to get my bachelor's but im wondering if this will have any effect on my training/ability to choose my position.
>>
>>31492026

A bachelor's degree with mean you likely attend OCS and become an officer when you join.

You can also do it in reverse - get NROTC scholarships and join as an officer immediately.
>>
>>31492070
Yeah but you need an extremely high GPA to get one of those and spending another two years in a community college to get out of the two point o's is gonna be a pain in the ass aint it?
>>
>>31492026
Don't choose recon.
If you fuck up in the training you might end up in food services or supply.
Instead do infantry and prove yourself able to take on recon school.
Then if you fail you'll get recycled back to infantry.
>>
If you want to join as anything, join as Infantry.

Assuming you join, once you get through boot camp you'll check into SOI. Once your training company picks up (unless there's no delay, then it will start right away) everyone will be 03XX - which, is simply Infantry. Then, "the split" will happen. This is where riflemen/weapons split up. Try your very best to insist and not budge that you want to be an 0311. The 0311 course is the Rifleman course/MOS. Weapons are all of your different Infantry jobs which include:

>0331 - Machine Gunner
>0341 - Mortarman
>0351 - Assaultman
>0352 - TOW gunner

The first two are self explanatory. Assaultman, rocket launchers (man-portable) and other explosives. TOW gunner, anti-tank missiles. These aren't cheap to use, so these two jobs typically just do whatever else needs to be done when they're not firing these weapons. So, filling in other roles. Anyways.

>0311

Given what you want to do, this is the job you want. It blows a lot of the time, but this is the training/background you need. Whether you want to go designated marksman, do a scout/sniper indoc, go to BRC (Basic Reconnaissance Course) after SOI, this is the best background to have. I'm not entirely sure if it's required for designated marksman/sniper (because I am neither of those), but it may be. If not, it's at least preferred. You can volunteer for Recon from any of the 03 jobs once you complete SOI. If you don't do it here, you'll have to lat-move to get another chance.

0311 course you'll basically do some classes, but mostly field time. You'll fire the M16, IAR, play with some Claymores and Grenades, maybe some other neato toys, practice patrols/MOUT towns, play bang bang against each other, that's about it.

If you don't get 0311 and get one of the Weapons MOSes, it's not the end of the world, don't flip, you'll be just fine. 0311 is just more suited towards anything sniper/recon related. (Part 2 incoming).
>>
>>31492599
>>31492396
Copy that guys, ive been looking for some more intimate knowledge then just "oh you should join my fav position i loved it so much" ect
>>
>>31492599

If anything, the Weapons MOSes are better to be in with exceptions for your case and people who just enjoy being combat janitors. My opinion is irrelevant here, though, this is information for you.

I'm not sure how applying for designated marksman or a scout/sniper indoc would go for a Marine from a weapons platoon/Weapons Co. in the fleet. I'm assuming it's the same as it is for Riflemen, but not sure. So, I can't help you with that one. Back to Recon, though:

SOI takes volunteers for recon during training. So, you can finish becoming an 03(blahblah) and then give it a try at whatever the pre-BRC course is for guys waiting to pick up (I think it's either MART or MARC - Marines Awaiting Reconnaissance Training/Course, respectively, but don't quote me on it). Then, you'll go here and get the living dogshit hazed out of you in creative ways involving your body and a pool.

The main reason I want you to go Infantry is what >>31492396 said:

If you join as a contract 0321/Recon, and while at BRC you get in any legal issues, quit, or get injured, you will NOT be Infantry even though you go through the 0311 course. This being, your "boat space" was for Recon, not Infantry. They'll "POG you out" to some random MOS, maybe letting you get a pick if you're lucky. They're typically jobs that you wouldn't want, by the sounds of it. Happened to a close friend of mine. Contract Recon, BRC, snaps his tibia, now he repairs radios.

If you join as Infantry, graduate SOI with an Infantry MOS, go to Recon and don't make it for one reason or another? Guess what?

You still hit the fleet as a grunt. So, do this. Also, pro-tip, Recon contracts are five years. Infantry contracts are four, with the exception of security forces (kek).

MARSOC is a completely different ball-game. You have to be an NCO to even put in an Assessment and Selection package. I'm no expert on this, since I've never shown interest. I know a mortarman who went and passed, though. (Part 3 incoming).
>>
>>31492738
Running all info past some ex marine buddies of mine just to fact check but shit man this is super fucking helpful
>>
This seems like a better place to post than any else, so here goes

Any marines here know if they'll bother to send me to DLI if I want to go into the reserves?
>>
>but im curious what you guys have to say
My advice would be thus.

You don't know if you even like the military lifestyle yet. It's great to have an ambition, but to be perfectly honest you don't have any soldiering experience and something like MARSOC is a world away. Infantry work suits some men well, others not so much. That's not a slight against you, that's just how it is. With that, reign yourself in a bit. Get grounded, one step at a time and work from there. Focus on what the requirements are, get familiar with the history of the USMC and blast yourself physically (cardio, not the weights)

Go Infantry, if that's what you want to do. I relished it, and even though it was for a different country half a century ago I regret leaving. It really is unparalleled. There are some horrific, boring, unpleasant and downright moronic times but when it's good it's excellent.

Special operations might not be for you. There are plenty of men fit and capable enough that choose not to go down that route. You might not be one of them, but it's not worth thinking about at the moment in my opinion.
>>
>>31492026
Given the current geopolitical climate this probably isn't the best of times to be joining the US military. However if it's something you're passionate about don't let that stop you.
>>
>>31492162
>Yeah but you need an extremely high GPA to get one of those
No you don't. Dumb nogs from my high school's football team did ROTC and became helicopter pilots.
>>
>>31492026
Go to school. Learn a trade. The military will suck, you may well be walking with a cane in your 20s (like me) and you'll be worse off then other people in your age group when you inevitably get out
>But I wanna do it as a career!
No you don't. Only around 1/5 reenlist after their first 4 years. But even if you did do a full 30 years, your pension is going to be garbage and you'll still have to work.

Trust me, just go to school.
>>
>>31492738

My only knowledge of it is it's very similar to US Army SFAS (the selection process for Special Forces/Green Berets), in the fact that there's different phases of the Instructors breaking you off physically, keeping a watchful eye on how you function with a team, how your personality/endurance holds up under adversity and rough conditions, a pretty rough land navigation course, etc. If memory serves me correctly, it's about eight weeks long. Then, out of everyone who hasn't already quit/been dropped, they decide who they want to go onto ITC - where they actually train you how to be a CSO (critical skills operator). If you're picked, you've got about a year and a half of training ahead of you to conquer before you go to a MARSOC team. If you're not, you go back to where you came from. Keep in mind, this is even if you made it all the way through the eight (?) weeks. So, if you join and decide you want to do this in the future, do NOT re-enlist for it like some guys do. Do it on your first term. They will select/not select you for all sorts of reasons.

I say go enlisted. This isn't just my enlisted bias, either. My reasoning is simple:

You've got a lot more elbow room in what you want your job to be if you enlist.

Officers get treated better in the fleet, paid better, blah blah, the whole nine yards. But never minding the fact that you may want to see how you like the Marine Corps with your responsibilities ranging from being a point man to leading a squad as opposed to hitting the fleet and immediately being responsible for the efficiency and well-being of a platoon (hint, hint), when it comes to officers getting their job they basically make a "wish list" with a top 3 jobs they want. Then, the OCS class is split into thirds. The top of each third gets to pick their job first, if that makes sense. Then the second, then the third, etc. So, depending on where you place in the class (or, rather, within a fraction of your class) (Pt. 4 inbound):
>>
>>31492824
Neither doing this as a career or for fun but rather FOR a future career in law enforcement and possibly private comtracting, i know somthing like a military backround looks good on a resume expecially in the more specialized areas.
>>
>>31492837

Depends on the job you get. The officer that told me this got what he wanted (he was an artillery officer, with a billet on a fire support team calling in targets to get blown up. Neat job.), but he told me that plenty of stellar guys ended up getting jobs they hated. That's my reasoning. I'm not the best resource for anything officer related, though. That's the dark side.

So, overall, my advice is enlist as 03XX if you're going to do it, and then to probably go 0311. Things to keep in mind/other advice:

Being a rifleman, a grunt, and a Marine in general has the capacity to blow harder than an industrial fan. It often does. You may decide that you hate it before your first enlistment is up, and it'll end there. Just warning you.

Grunt life is still uneventful as fuck.

When you're a boot in the fleet, you are going to hate me for anonymously giving you advice on how to join the Marines. Being a boot is terrible.

If your recruiter tries to pull a "hey bro I can't get you what you wanted, but I can get you (insert some other job here)?". Here's your response.

>Damn. Thanks for trying. Guess I'll join the Army.

He'll realize he's not going to make quota, shit his pants, and then give you the MOS you want instead of the one the SNCOIC of the recruiting station wants to fill a slot for that month.

Boot camp really isn't that bad. It's not fun, but it's over-exaggerated in my opinon.

My hips, ankles, knees, lower back, blood pressure, hearing, and especially my shoulders have suffered from being in. It does a number on your body. Especially ground-side.

Last piece of advice is, keep doing your homework. Make a mature, informed, and logical decision for yourself. Because it's a big one. What you think is above what everyone else does, because you're the one it will effect the most.

That's it. You're lucky I like /k/ommandos and hate how misinformed civilians become disgruntled Marines.

>source: MEU baby Corporal with 2/1
>>
>>31492901
Again, you're getting ahead of yourself. What do you want to be? Do you want to work as a police officer? Then apply to be one of those.

>private comtracting
Take it from someone who's done it since the 1970s, it isn't all it's cracked up to be and I would recommend avoiding it unless you have some serious ability. I don't mean "shooting people in the face ability", either, I mean a strong academic (internationaly recognised MA) record, time with organisations (SHAPE, top research universities, various NGOs, etc etc) and or command experience if you want to make a real stab out of a career in private security. You can no longer get into it with a phone call and a plane ticket to Brussels. Sorry.

Four year stint in the USMC as an enlisted man (in what is likely a peacetime military) will not get your foot in the door for close protection work, nor will anyone hire you for managerial positions.

If I'm coming across as harsh it's because I genuinely don't like to see people fail. You're clearly not an idiot and you probably have a good head on your shoulders. Don't view the military as a stepping stone, particularly if you're going to be an Infantryman.
>>
File: screencap.jpg (698KB, 1504x1454px) Image search: [Google]
screencap.jpg
698KB, 1504x1454px
>>31492599
>>31492738
>>31492837
>>31492964

Here's a screencap, in case anyone else in the future needs similar information or you ever want to reference it again. Hope I was helpful, OP.
>>
>>31492599
0351 Assman's are the best. Nice dubs too, m8
>>
>>31492901
You and every other infantryman for the last 15 years. Trust me, just go to school. Learn how to be a doctor or a engineer or a welder or electrician. And if you do something physical, make sure you know how to teach it, and keep up with the times. Because a day will come, sooner than you like, when you cannot do physical work. But if you can consult on it, if you can teach it, then you'll still be able to work.
>>
>>31493069
You sure fuckin were man i appreciate it
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.