[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does the modern American soldier fight for? When asked

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 6

File: image.jpg (132KB, 640x392px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
132KB, 640x392px
What does the modern American soldier fight for?

When asked to go kill and die, what is it that motivates him to agree and go kill and die?
>>
>>31490340
Money and paid-for college education
>>
>>31490340
Well, being that soldiers are not all the same, it depends on which soldier you're talking about.
>>
>>31490356
Money can modivate initial enlistment, but can money really modivate a man to rush into enemy fire?
>>
>>31490534

Because it's fun.
>>
File: 408877.jpg (90KB, 1160x420px) Image search: [Google]
408877.jpg
90KB, 1160x420px
>>31490340
I would fight for fun tho
But my country is neutral and don't go to war
>>
Paychecks, veterans' benefits, and college education motivate people to join. Being broken down and built from the ground up as a soldier dedicated to the guys around you during basic training motivates people to rush towards gunfire.
>>
>>31490340
The possibility that I might get to kill and die
>>
I joined up because I had no intention of going to college or working a dead end. Also seemed like it would be fun.
>>
Hero/glory propaganda saturation in the media. As boys we grow up on this. The why doesn't matter when it's simply a basic want. You don't analyze it when it's a simple want. You only analyze it when some horror challenges your own nature as a human being like seeing a friend die or accidentally killing someone you shouldn't have. You also have the backing and encouragement of an entire nation calling you a hero and a warrior. You're rewarded with brotherhood like no other, peer acceptance, free college that you later find out isn't what you thought, benefits, housing, and both right and wrong women will find you attractive for just being a gentleman to them while in uniform. At 18 years old, fresh out of high school, you have your choice between all of this, or Burger King while striving to pay for school while you play the new Call of Duty alone in your dorm.
>>
>>31490534
The man on his left and on his right.
>>
File: Natalia Poklonskaya.jpg (174KB, 564x657px) Image search: [Google]
Natalia Poklonskaya.jpg
174KB, 564x657px
I joined because I wanted to protect the American way of life. Didn't think that meant I had to sweep the deck while it was still raining though.
>>
Life in the barracks is miserable and boring. Deployed you either get to shoot someone to break up the routine or die and get out of the military
>>
to fight the evils of truth and love
>>
>>31490864
>Didn't think that meant I had to sweep the deck while it was still raining though.

Who else is going to?
>>
>>31490340
A love for their country.
>>
>>31490768

This right here for recruitment.

During, you fight because you get to know the people around you, and you dont want them hurt, even if that means you eat shit.

Nobody is going to jump on a grenade when its just them and the grenade. However, people will to protect their brothers.
>>
>>31490830
>the SOLDIER on his left and right

Ftfy
>>
>>31491139
Triggered
>>
>>31490340
For nothing. I joined just because I wanted to.
06-10
IRQ 07
Afgh 09
I didn't do it for my country protecting my neighbor BS. I wanted to go and fight didn't matter for who or against who. The education and benefits was just an extra that came with it. But would of done it regardless of benefits.
>>
Spreading homosexuality, racial pollution, expanding heroin markets.
>>
Get to travel the world
>>
>>31490534
Taking the meager pay your family depends on if you don't follow orders and knowing they're getting a pay day if you die does it for slot of people.
>>
>>31490340
>kill
Well there ya go
Might depend on MOS though
>>
>>31490340
I like that line from Jack Reacher:

"There are four types of people who join the military. For some, it's a family trade. Others are patriots, eager to serve. Next, you have those who just need a job. Then there's the kind who want a legal means of killing other people."
>>
>>31490340
Few people do it for the love of their country. Most people who join are mercenaries.
>>
File: 1465252162387.jpg (38KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1465252162387.jpg
38KB, 640x480px
>>31492544
>he thinks the majority of the US military is combat arms jobs
>>
>>31491117
Mexicans, duh.
He said the AMERICAN way of life.
>>
>>31491434
>heroin markets.
in fairness it's quality smack m8 that's important stuff ya know, for artists and shit
>>
>>31492112
But you didn't.
>>
File: celebrate.gif (3MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
celebrate.gif
3MB, 320x240px
>What does the modern American soldier fight for?

fun
>>
>>31492526
That's a solid line.
>>
>>31490340
To win the war, and that is good enough for me
>>
>>31490340

It's a fun job. And as for why we fight, as in what motivates one to participate, it's that if you don't then you and your bros ain't gonna be making it.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.