[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thinking about picking up one of these, heard they are the best

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4

File: kabar.jpg (52KB, 920x520px) Image search: [Google]
kabar.jpg
52KB, 920x520px
Thinking about picking up one of these, heard they are the best knives you can buy. any thoughts?
>>
File: 100_1353.jpg (234KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
100_1353.jpg
234KB, 768x1024px
>>31486118
I sincerely hope you have a brain tumor or something that's terminal.

But to answer the question, they're alright knives. don't buy one if what you want to do with it is particularly tang stressing. Kabars are notoriously easy to snap at the point where the blade meets the tang.
>>
>>31486145
I know a couple buddies that got these standard issue in the marines and they swear this thing is the best knife
>>
>>31486157
Marines will think a dildo is the best knife if it's OD green and has the EGA stamped somewhere on it.

Marines only use their knives to open MREs
>>
>>31486173
any suggestions as to what kind of knife I should get then? Az has the best knife laws so I'm open for anything
>>
>>31486207
What do you want the knife for?
there is no such thing as a 1 knife option for everything
>>
>>31486224
I go out and camp and hike in the desert a lot and I just need a durable open knife to have ready for defense or anything that requires cutting
>>
>defense or anything that requires cutting
Don't use a knife for self defense unless you're a felon who can't legally buy a gun, oyu'll only end up dying.

But if you want a decent outdoors knife, there are hundreds upon hundreds of options depending on what you do.

This vid has a shitload of good info on uses of knives in the outdoors, i recomend going through it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXdBI98gNoo
>>
>>31486309
Whoops, this should be
>>31486273
>>
>>31486145
It's a new meme/bot. Ignore it.
>>
>>31486173
>Marines will think a dildo is the best knife if it's OD green and has the EGA stamped somewhere on it.

Only boots think this

I got issued the Ontario bayonet while I was in
No muhreens would ever consider that a good knife. Dull as fuck, even for a bayonet. Not possible to open MREs with. To dull to sharpen without a belt sander. Heavier than necessary. I wouldve prefered a gay-bar over it.
I actually got a ka-bar from my step grandfather as a gift. Keep it in my truck as a back up knife to my back up knife.

>>31486273
Esee knives
>>
>>31486336
>implying it isn't 100% true
The top of the tang is where 90 percent of breaks happen on the knife, saying "meme" doesn't make it less so.

They're useless if you do anything with the knife that puts any real stress on the tang. this is like googling if the sky is blue.
>>
>>31486416
He was talking about the yoshi meme
>>
If you want a Kabar this is a knife I own and it's badass. https://www.amazon.com/Ka-Bar-Becker-BK7-Combat-Utility/dp/B001IPMG8K
>>
>>31486510
i guess i'm retarded for not figuring that out.

i'll just go commit sudoku now.
>>
>>31486549
>i'll just go commit sudoku now
kek, I'm stealing this
>>
>>31486110
You'd be a lot better off with an ESEE-6 or RAT-7 knife
>>
>>31486575
hownew.ru
>>
>>31486592
I'm not. That's honestly the first time I've ever seen that in the many years I've been internetting.
>>
>>31486207
Becker BK7
>>
File: 20160928_015906.jpg (3MB, 2589x1944px) Image search: [Google]
20160928_015906.jpg
3MB, 2589x1944px
>>31486579
I agree with this. I have the rat and besides the sheath it's a great knife for camping.
>>
>>31486110
dont get the serrated version its harder to sharpen. dont make my mistake.
>>
>>31486110

>rat tail tang
>meme knife

Stop talking to the Moron Corps. Get a Bowie knife.

And protip non-Texans, it's pronounced Boo-EE. Not BEAU-ee.

We should fucking know, he's OUR state hero.
>>
>>31486653
You must not be here, /tg/ or any anime board much... I've seen that three times today and it isn't even 1am yet.
>>
>>31487056
I only visit /k/
>>
>>31487006
>we should fucking know
Oh, i'm sorry. i didn't know texcucks had a phonograph of Jim saying his name. he was a Kentucky man before he was a Mexican. and outside of beaner land, people say bow with a beu
>>
>>31487075
Still, pretty common around here.
>>
>>31487006
Bowies are wonderful knives, something with full tang and good steel. Used on on a cattle farm for 15 years and it did everything from skinning rabbits to butchering and cutting bales open. Brought it to war and gave it to a friend. Best knife I ever had, was a bowie..
>>
>>31486110

You are asking if a combat/wartime conditions utility knife is the best ever.

If you are literally a soldier/Marine in a warzone there are worse options.

As a camping knife it is trash. The upper swedge ofbthe knife is NEARLY sharpened, you can saw through paper with it. It's that way so you can stab a human more easily. But for batoning wood it is garbage. When the backside of your knife cuts through batoning sticks Ike the wood you are batoning, you have an issue.

Becker BK7 or BK9 are better knives. They are fatter and split wood MUCH better. If you are a turbo poor fag the Buck Reaper is available from Walmart for 40 bucks. A vastly superior knife for camping and outdoors use.

The KABAR fighting knife isn't a BAD knife, but it's a fighting knife, a knife to make a soldier feel better about the war he's fighting. But to actually do camping tasks its hot garbage.
>>
>>31487221
I had one for awhile in my teens. It was too big to dress game with and the blade was too thick and clubby to whittle properly, or that's how it felt to me. For splitting stuff I used, and still use, an ancient Collins boy's axe. That's what axes are for.

That KaBar is rattling around in a box in the garage and now I have a modestly sized belt knife made out of an old bandsaw blade. It has a fine enough tip to clean fish and remove splinters and is stout enough at the base to crack a deer's pelvis bone, and I'm much happier.

OP might want to think carefully about what he's going to *do* with it.
>>
>>31487006
I carried a cheap, piece of shit bowie for years starting in high school. Knife was as long as my thigh, spine was 1/4 thick.

I got it from an old neighbor, had to hammer the blade straight, took days on a whetstone to give it an edge.

I abused that knife like a filthy broken whore. Pry bar, splitting wood, hammer, wedge, shovel, pick, etc. Everything I threw at that knife it handled.

But, I had some bad memories with that knife and I asked a friend to take it with her when she moved out of state.
>>
File: New_KM2000.jpg (3MB, 3206x2175px) Image search: [Google]
New_KM2000.jpg
3MB, 3206x2175px
Combat knives like the KABAR and pic related are not meant for every tools
>>
>>31486110
Get an Ontario 498. Same knife really, but with production quality above what some muhreen will be issued.
>>
>>31486110
Get the OKC-3S

There's a reason it replaced the Ka-Bar.
>>
>>31486110
Mine won't hold an edge worth shit. I've been a knife and sharpening enthusiast for years. I have much cheaper knives that do take an edge and hold an edge much, much better. I've started calling it my "prybar" instead of "Kabar." It's good for all of the shit that a moderately sharp pointed piece of thick metal will do, but not the best knife by a long shot.

That doesn't mean I don't carry it. As a utilitarian knife, it's great. It isn't something I would use for those few situations that call for a really good sharp edge, though.
>>
>>31487006
Texan here. You're not quite right. It's BOO-ee, not Boo-EE. But you are right that if you say BEAU-ee, you'll definitely be spotted as someone who ain't from here.
>>
>>31486110
if you're going to get one of these, find one from before the Korean War. those are the knives that the Marines swear by. the modern version that the company puts out (under the same name) is too thin for whatever you want it to do. but those old blades are survival god tier due to a proper thickness and good balance.
>>
>>31486110
I love mine
I take it hiking and for woodwork
>>
>>31486110
>Best you can buy

No. Not really. They're great knives, don't get me wrong, and the history gives me a boner, but depending on what you want to do there are objectively better ones.
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.