[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Would I be disappointed with one of these? How long would it

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 9

File: 1465398114544.jpg (2MB, 2688x1520px) Image search: [Google]
1465398114544.jpg
2MB, 2688x1520px
Would I be disappointed with one of these? How long would it take for the "itch" for rails and optics to completely overtake me, and make me regret the A2 configuration? I'm pretty broke right now (college/shitty job), so I won't be able to afford rails or sights yet, but later on I was planning on getting a set up similar to this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vIw5z4-rpc

>pic related. not mine
>>
Depends on how big a faggot you are. Railz and shit is retarded. You can get an optic adapter for the carry handle, IF you can deal with the height.
>>
Goosenecks are ugly and dumb. You might as well keep the gun stock and have it be a dedicated irons gun. You could always add a rail and get a flashlight and foregrip though to have that OIF feel.

I would not suggest a carry handle mount unless you're going for pic related.
>>
>>31383134
>optic adapter
I was looking at the goose-neck scout mount (like the one in that video), and would put a 4x optic or something on it.
>>
>>31383119
Who cares, if you want optics and lights and foredicks just build another one.

Keep that one the way it is, forever.

Trust me, once you zero the irons on it, it won't change. It will be the only AR-15 you have that you don't need to take back to the range and zero your irons/optics on, or haven't figured out a sling for yet, or muzzle device, etc.
>>
>>31383182
>It will be the only AR-15 you have
It'll likely be the only AR I'll have for a few years. That's why I'm debating. Only considering the A2 HBAR because the lgs has a good deal on one.
>>
>>31383182
It will have all the advantages your AK has, for example.

Always zeroed, always good to go.
>>
>>31383119
A2 style is fine if you're a big guy where the standard stock length doesn't bother you. Using this as a dedicated irons platform would be fine. You can definitely upgrade to a CCO on top or on a cantilever mount later, or go magnified on the carry handle. Or of course, you could in the future get a flat top upper for you optics and then freely swap between your A2 and flattop upper depending on what you felt like that particular day.

>>31383173
>goose-neck
> 4x optic

Those mounts really are best for a CCO, not a magnified optic. To get a magnified optic to work with that kind of eye relief, you'd be looking at a pistol scope and the holw thing would be awkward. If you want magnification, I'd stick a scope on top using the mounting provisions of the carry handle. You can then get or DIY a cheekpad riser if the optic sits too high for comfort.
>>
>>31383195
My AR-15 is in a constant state of change.

Always needs the BUIS re-zeroed after changing out the rail, or something equally as stupid. Or I put new irons on it, or a new optic, changed the stock, something.

Buy the most expensive gucci shit you can, then don't fuck with it for a few years.
>>
File: 1465427112793.jpg (747KB, 1944x1296px) Image search: [Google]
1465427112793.jpg
747KB, 1944x1296px
>>31383182
>Trust me, once you zero the irons on it, it won't change. It will be the only AR-15 you have that you don't need to take back to the range and zero your irons/optics on, or haven't figured out a sling for yet, or muzzle device, etc.
>>31383199
>Always zeroed, always good to go.
Is that with the "clicks" on the rear sight? I've generally never adjusted sights (other main rifle being an sks, so I use the "U" battle sight:.

I mean are the A2 sights "solid", or does it matter which manufacturer is making it?
>>
File: DSCF3362.jpg (1MB, 3072x2304px) Image search: [Google]
DSCF3362.jpg
1MB, 3072x2304px
>>31383119

I'd go for an A2-style upper with rails and a detachable carry handle; you get the same look without sacrificing the ability to add optics later.

It's what I did.
>>
>>31383222
I'm talking about putting new backup irons on a rifle, or changing to a new free-float handguard and needing to re-zero the backup irons bc the front one is on the FF tube.

Or switching from one cheap chinese optic to another.
>>
>>31383224
>A2 style
>Detachable carry handle.

But that's not A2 style.
>>
>>31383224
>>31383233
>But that's not A2 style.
Yeah I thought about it too, and my friend whose into accessories was like "just slap a handle on and call it a day". But it's just "not the same". Also lgs has this one on sale.
>>
>>31383224
If OP wants to spend $2,000+ on his rifle, that would be the way to go.

If that kind of cash influx isn't realistic, then a fixed rear sight receiver is definitely the way to go. Retard durable and won't encourage him to waste his money on cheap chinese bullshit.

If you want nice things, OP, you have to pay for it.
>>
>>31383233

Well, no, not exactly, but it's a government-profile 20-inch barrel with A2 handguards, an A2 (birdcage) flash suppressor and the A2 stock.

I mean, from an ergonomic point of view, it's pretty indistinguishable from an A2-style AR15; it's just you can remove the carry handle for placing optics if you want.
>>
>>31383294
>it's pretty indistinguishable from an A2-style AR15; it's just you can remove the carry handle for placing optics if you want

Gee, if only there were a rifle designation with a fixed stock, 20 inch barrel, birdcage, and removable carry handle...
>>
>>31383252

Wow, have prices increased that much?

I mean, I built mine for ~$1100 ($250 assembled CMMG lower, $60 A2 stock with buffer tube, ~$750 CMMG upper, $100 or so for a carry handle) back in 2007.
>>
>>31383308
Not the anon you're replying to but what the hell is the different between the A3 and A4 besides different select fire options.
>>
File: ar build.jpg (2MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
ar build.jpg
2MB, 2048x1536px
>>31383119
A2 worked just fine for me for over a year now. I really won't worry too much about optics unless you feel like you can't shoot comfortably without them.
>>
>>31383329
That is the difference.

The difference between the A2 and A4 is that the A2 is a fixed carry handle, and the A3/A4 have detachable carry handles and the front sightposts are the modified "F" types. A3 is the same as A4, except it has a full auto sear.

And to be clear, I don't mind A4 clones, but it drives me up the wall when people don't even know what their rifle is a "clone" of. It's like people who claim to have A1 style rifles, but they have A2 rear sights and just don't care about the difference.
>>
>>31383119
I went with a bare bones m4 type AR for my first AR, ended up buying a free float rail, aimpoint and a geissele trigger. That set me back $1100. If there's anything I really only need it's that trigger.
>>
>>31383361
Yeah. Frankenbuilds are a hell of a drug.
>>
>>31383374
Again, don't mind Frankenbuilds. It's just confusing when somebody has a weirdo Frankenbuild and they are all like "This here is my clone of rifle 'x'." when it clearly is not.
>>
Do it. If it really fucking bothers you get a new upper.
>>
Even grandpa hickok says it's current year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gol9lRqL7qo
>>
>>31383463
It's just something about it being plane-jane with the fixed irons that scream "marksman" to me.
>>
>>31383318
they haven't
you can get a 20" rifle kit for probably $600 from PSA and a lower from somewhere else. plus whatever much for the carry handle. i have no clue what that anon was talking about
>>
>>31384008
to everyone else it's "guy who is stuck in the old m16 era" or "guy qualifying on a m16"
>>
>>31383318
Adding to what >>31384024 said, when I built my girlfriend an AR for Christmas the 20" premium build kit was $550.
Threw that shit on an Anderson lower and boom! Flat top A2 profile achieved
>>
>>31384029
I think its because I've been watching MillerUSAF or Miller's Guns and Gear vids.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYT4ifKaNcQ

He's like the only guy that does any significant amount of A2 AR stuff.
>>
File: gj53HSg.png (372KB, 684x552px) Image search: [Google]
gj53HSg.png
372KB, 684x552px
>>31384066
Not A2, but if I had excess fun money, I'd loooooove to build an old school SPR clone. Right down to the overly heavy rail and everything.
>>
>>31383361
>A1 style rifles
When I made mine, I talked to a gunsmith who had some early 1970s complete uppers and the proper furniture.
>a1 flash hider (6 slots)
>a1 barrel (chromed pencil profile)
>triangle handguard
>straight delta ring
>a1 upper receiver without shell deflector (anodizing was greenish)
>a1 rear sight (5 slot windage dial)
>shorter rounded stock
>straight grip with sling holes

The only problems were the a2 ejection port cover and the a2 lower receiver (only preban lower I could get in this shitty state).
>>
>>31383119
>"itch" for rails and optics to completely overtake me, and make me regret the A2 configuration
take it as a cool challenge. get a carry handle scope, and all the other pre-pick-a-tiny ameriburger customization options.
>>
>>31383134
Broke caveman detected
>>
>>31383222
>That empty mag
It bothers me for some reason and I can't place why
>>
>>31387159
How do you know it's empty? I thought it was just a 10 rnd magazine.
>>
File: XM16E1_real.jpg (39KB, 999x269px) Image search: [Google]
XM16E1_real.jpg
39KB, 999x269px
A2s are handsome. But if I'm going to go for retro-Mil-spec, I'm all about the A1, XM16E1,or pr-A1 Vietnam type
>>
the only problem I have with most A2 lookalikes right now is that they're almost all heavy barrel. Not that that's a bad thing, it's just not what I want

I want a government profile A2 or A4. At least the A4 is easier to find or build.
>>
File: IMG_20160606_104121.jpg (309KB, 1280x554px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160606_104121.jpg
309KB, 1280x554px
>>31383119
Why not go for a detachable carry handle if you think you may change your mind?
>>
>>31383119
If you can only afford one AR, it shouldn't be a clone of something. Just build one from parts and add whatever shit you want on it. I would start with a 16" barrel, any forged milspec lower and upper receiver and go from there.
>>
File: Family Photo.jpg (918KB, 2477x1394px) Image search: [Google]
Family Photo.jpg
918KB, 2477x1394px
I love mine. It's a Colt. It's my favorite AR.
>>
>>31389130
see>>31383250
>>
>>31383119
>disappointed in an ar15

wew lad
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.