[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When in combat, at which range and circumstances should I resort

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 8

File: image.jpg (34KB, 576x386px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
34KB, 576x386px
When in combat, at which range and circumstances should I resort to using my handgun?
>>
>>31375741
within 100 yrds
>>
>>31375741
switching to your handgun is always faster than reloading
>>
>>31375741
When you're out of ammo
>>31375798
I remember playing call of duty
>>
>>31375741
When you're out of rifle ammo
>>
>resort to
N/A - never
>>31375816
/thread
>>
When you're out of ammo, or when the guy is close enough to stick his dick in you.

If you're at either point however, you've fucked up majorly.
>>
In a theater of war? pretty much never.
As a civilian? within 50 yards and when shit is fucked.
>>
>>31375741
Always use a long gun

Use the pistol if you physically cannot use a rifle or shotgun or if you are getting to your rifle.

Ez pz lemon sqez
>>
File: 1472607936174.jpg (22KB, 360x240px) Image search: [Google]
1472607936174.jpg
22KB, 360x240px
>>31375870
>when shit is fucked

Care to elaborate, friendo?
>>
File: 1473885536712.jpg (33KB, 163x240px) Image search: [Google]
1473885536712.jpg
33KB, 163x240px
>>31376095
For instance.

You are walking down the street with your significant female other having a night on the town trying to decide what you would like to do next on this splendid evening when you are accosted by some sub saharans of ill repute.

And what do you know, you seem to have left your trusty M4 at home as you were not expecting to see Ugandans2 electric boogaloo.
(this is the point wherein shit has officially become fucked)

So what do you do?

Why you reach for your trusty sidearm of course, now normally in such a scenario you would go for a long gun but seeing as it is not within reach your little buddy will have to do until you can assure you and your lady friends safety and or reach a long gun.
>>
>>31375741
When you are DM and are clearing rooms for some reason.
>>
File: 1472438452333.png (422KB, 1015x1527px) Image search: [Google]
1472438452333.png
422KB, 1015x1527px
When the guy is too close to point your rifle at him
>>
>>31375741
What sort of combat?
Why have you not incapacitated the target withyour rifle?
What caliber and size of handgun?
How many targets are there?
How have you not shot them with your rifle yet?
How much cover is available to both you and your enemy?
Jesus christ dude why havent you shot them with the rifle?
How close is your engagement?
How fast are your enemies approaching?
Are you regretting buying that .223 now that you have to rely on a handgun to save your ass?
>>
File: 1471983105240.jpg (17KB, 350x269px) Image search: [Google]
1471983105240.jpg
17KB, 350x269px
>>31376228
Kys, you flaming faggot.
>>
>>31375741

5 to 8 Parking Spaces
Distance of about 3 lanes of highway traffic.

Mentioned in this format so you can go measure it out and distance check in person to get a feel for that amount of distance.

Because a pistol is like a Bow, it has about the same accuracy and effective range. We arent talking hunting, we're talking a fight where you dont have time to steadily aim. That means all shots are Snap Shots whether you like it or not.

Your Handgun is like a medieval Shortbow, just faster.

The reason is because you don't have many shots and it may take more than one. If this is a combat situation (military or LE doesn't matter), You want a high % chance to hit, if you're skilled then starting at about that distance there's a good chance for nailing them even if you just point and shoot.

If you find the time to aim for whatever reason, you can reliably take their head off at that distance.

If you're a Cop you should be aiming for the legs and you need to aim as well as you can (you're a public servant, you are expendable, thats the weight of carrying the badge).

If somebody has a rifle and they're farther away, you're fucked, don't shoot back - get behind cover and try to sneak away.

Doesnt matter if they have a .22 rifle, they can shoulder that and their sight radius means they can nail you from across the entire parking lot. And it only takes them as long to aim it as it does for you to aim your pistol. They've got 3 times the probability to hit you.

If your Pistol has a Scope on it, thats more like rifle territory for a nice aimed shot. But since most dont im not covering that.
>>
>>31376360
>2016
>not using a 5.7 to nail targets at 100 yards
>>
The only time I draw my handgun is if my rifle went dry or malfunctioned and I am actively engaged and without cover

Otherwise reload it rectify the malfunction in your long gun first.

Source: 8 combat deployments. (Not a joke)
>>
>>31376804
Did you have any confirmed kills with your handgun?
>>
when your rifle doesnt work and you cant get it going faster than switching to pistol

example: bang bang bang , click .. shits fucked, trying to manually cycle gun doesnt work, but u saw a that guy just going into cover over there,
draw pistol aim there and yell 4 backup (and that u jammed) /retreat
>>
>>31376851
Learn to write, but true

Look at >>31376804

This is what I've ben taught, never had to resort to it.
>>
>>31376250
No, you.
>>
>>31376360
>If you're a Cop you should be aiming for the legs
kys
>>
>>31375741
Pretty much never, honestly. I still suspect specops guys and officers only carry them as a status symbol.

>when you run out of rifle ammo
for the weight of a pistol and extra mags for it, you could jjust carry more rifle ammo

>faster than reloading
no.

only legitimate argument i can see is if you have some kind of serious malfunction on your rifle
>>
>>31376841
>confirmed kills
>>
>>31376095
>Care to elaborate
You or someone else might die or be injured if you don't.

That's a pretty good start.
>>
if you only have a pistol - 25 meters or closer
if you have a rifle, only when your rifle ammo is expended
if you're in close quarters and your rifle isn't fit for CQB and has a long barrel, possibly might want to switch to your pistol
>>
>>31377056
Tbh this is true for everyone
Real men aim to maim
>tfw negros immediately cease aggression for ever when their kneegro caps are blasted by a magsafe
>>
>>31375816
>When you're out of ammo
>>31375835
>When you're out of rifle ammo
>>31375862
>When you're out of ammo

Just carry more rifle ammo instead of filling up your kit with a pistol and pistol mags.

Which would you rather have, a handgun or 90 rounds of rifle ammo?
>>
>>31377175
faggot thinks he's super clever
>Dumb militaries should have known this entire time that sidearms are not useful! Just carry more rifle ammo, you noobs
>>
>>31377191
Except he's right, and that's exactly the reason soldiers arent issued sidearms.
>>
>>31375798
Have you timed my reloads or something? How do you know?
>>
>>31377191

Sidearms are rarely ever issued to regular infantry for exactly the reason I stated.

So in reality, the military is actually on my side of this, not yours. But go ahead and tell me all about how I must be wrong because you played a videogame once.
>>
>>31375741
Only if you have no more ammo for your rifle or need to get rounds down range.

Your rifle is your life, only draw your handgun with the sole purpose of getting your rifle back up again.
>>
>at which range
Close enough that you've taken them by surprise
>under what circumstance
When you've lost your primary weapon
>>
m9 is only good to 50 meters so ideally less than that
>>
>>31376192
>You are walking down the street with your significant female other
>And what do you know, you seem to have left your trusty M4 at home
But Anonymous, my trusty M4 IS my significant other.
>>
>>31376360
>When you are engaged in a firefight always aim so you reduce your hit chance to a minimum
kys
>>
>>31375870
>within 50 yards
retard
>>
>>31375741
Handguns are better for firing from improv cover. There's no circumstance where you'd take time to switch to your handgun besides this.

>>31376217
If the target is too close for your little carbine, you're in the middle of fistfight.
>>
>>31377133
>knees are capped
>Negros are then sent to a hospital paid by yours truly
>>
>>31375741
>500 yds
Use your rifle.
>100 yds
Use your rifle.
>25 yds
Use your rifle.
>1 yd
Charge and stab them with your bayonet.
>>
>>31377208

He's quoting a videogame.
>>
>>31377236
>When you've lost your primary weapon

THAT

RIFLE

WEREN'T

YOURS

TO

LOSE
>>
>>31377191
You're a fucking idiot
Only officers and some NCOs carry sidearms in combat, solely for the purpose of personal defense at close range
Infantry ONLY carry their primary weapon
>b-but CoD lets me use a pistol and ar
>>
>>31377356
>not being a state with stand your ground laws and castle doctrine
Kek
>>
>>31377436
>he doesn't live in a first world country where injured criminals aren't served at hospitals
>>
>>31377395
best post in thread
>>
>>31375741
The range at which you've expended all of your rifle ammo. Unless you're carrying a bolt action rifle with only loose bullets in your coat pocket, it's always faster and more worthwhile to reload than switch to a pistol.

Assuming we're talking about a CC situation, you shoot as soon as your confident you can hit them, regardless of what that range may be, or you shoot immediately if they also have a firearm and are presenting an immediate threat to yourself. If they aren't immediately threatening you, refer to the previous recommendation.
>>
>>31377205
>>31377217
>>31377417
I wanted a handgun. I'm great with one and you can still carry mags. I just put it far back on my kit and stranded mags still. You can do both. I was fine with the extra weight so I could have the piece of mind.
>>
>>31377417
>solely for the purpose of personal defense at close range
lmao dont you mean solely for purpose of not having to carry a heavy ass rifle to the shitters?
>>
>>31375883
This is the right answer. A handgun is something you use to help you get to a bigger gun.
>>
>>31377191
>>Dumb militaries should have known this entire time that sidearms are not useful! Just carry more rifle ammo, you noobs
That is fucking literally, exactly what they do. Ask any vet that ever worked in supply or the arms room and they will tell you they had fucking HUNDREDS of pistols that did literally nothing but sit in a box for them to count once a year while taking inventory.
>>
>>31377763
LARPing neverserved detected. I'd say you were a psych disqual but you never had the guts to step into a MEPS to begin with.
>>>/v/
>>
>>31377264
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LwMIAwrIeuY
>>
File: 555.jpg (15KB, 600x375px) Image search: [Google]
555.jpg
15KB, 600x375px
>>31378867
>I barely qualified
>no one could ever WANT a handgun
>>
>>31377310
>he shoots handguns outside 50 yards
>calls anyone else a retard
>>
When your primary weapon has some sort of malfunction you cannot clear and you still have targets to hit
>>
>>31375798
This may be true if you're using a clip fed, tube mag, or single shot rifle
>>
>>31375741
I'll just summarize what I read here

>Rifle is always better than pistol
>If you run out of ammo or get a malfunction, you best retreat into cover
>Then either fix the problem or draw your pistol (or ask your buddies for help)

If I happen to stand out in the open and someone comes at me and/or starts shooting (which will result in my death most likely of course) and my gun doesn't work, should I

try and reload/clear the malfunction
or
draw the pistol
or
run away?

Also, from what I understand, a pistol has more value if there are enemies that you can actually defeat with it (untrained hajis, unarmed people etc.) and if you have no backup (SHTF).
>>
>>31376360
>If you're a Cop you should be aiming for the legs and you need to aim as well as you can (you're a public servant, you are expendable, thats the weight of carrying the badge).

Sounds like someone is thirsty for a vodka and bleach
>>
>>31377781
>m-16/m-4
>heavy
Have you even had your first period yet little lady?
>>
When you have literally no other choice.
>>
>>31375741
21 foot rule.
>>
>>31375741
your handgun is a backup weapon, and should only be used for as long as it take until you can get your hands on a rifle. A semi-auto rifle is better than a handgun in virtually all circumstances.
>>
File: 20160408_123525.jpg (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
20160408_123525.jpg
2MB, 1920x1080px
So we're all in agreement it seems that the sidearm has a place for the average man as a backup for failures in long arms and the unlikely event you should ever run out of ammo.

So, loadout thread? Post primary/secondary
>>
>>31388865
Personally I run with a suppressed ACR and M1014 (ExMags). Perks are Scavenger, Stopping Power and ninja of course.
>>
>>31377175

It's quicker to switch from rifle to side arm than it is to reload.
>>
>>31388865

AR-15 w/ Cheap ass quadrail, cheap ass foregrip, cheap ass laser, and moderately cheap ass TrueGlow 2x Red Dot.

Paired with a Sig320.

Am I mallninja yet?
>>
>>31388865

SCAR 16 w/ a Leupold Mark 6 and a Silencer Co Omega paired with my VP9 and a Silencer Co Osprey 45 seems to be my perfect pair these days.
>>
>>31375741
wherever your primary is nonfunctional because malfunction or running out of ammo. and there is an enemy making it not safe to find cover and reload.
>>
>>31389287
>>31389305

Now if only we had a furfag with an ak, we'd have /k/ perfectly encapsulated across 3 posts.
>>
>>31389305
Mk6 has that strobe effect with illumination when you move your head.
>>
The only use for a pistol is to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have set down in the first place.
>>
When you are surrounded with no hope of a rescue, up against savages that don't treat prisoners properly, out of rifle ammo, you use your side are to kill as many as possible then you kill yourself with the last round.
>>
>>31389432

Not exactly a deal breaker.
>>
>>31389795
This. But would you have what it took to do it?
Thread posts: 77
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.