[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Alright /k/, I'm going to buy a Springfield M1A soon. I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: simple-iron-sight-this.jpg (37KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
simple-iron-sight-this.jpg
37KB, 600x450px
Alright /k/, I'm going to buy a Springfield M1A soon. I'm in CA so an AR10 isn't really an option for me anymore and I want a semiautomatic, magazine fed rifle that's accurate out to at least 600 yards and a Springfield M1A definitely fits the bill. However, I do have some concerns about buying it as far as stocks go.

Should I go wood stock, polymer stock, or fiberglass? The deal with wood is in different atmospheric conditions, wood tends to do not-so-good things. Changes in elevation can cause the wood to warp and different humidity levels can cause wood to swell which will change the accuracy of the rifle, and in worst case scenario (and I'm hoping I'm wrong), warping would completely ruin the wood stock leaving me having to buy a new one.

Polymer/plastic stocks are usually pretty cheaply built and for a $1500+ dollar marksman's rifle I don't want a stock that's going to be crap since I've heard a rumor that the factory M1A stocks yield terrible long range accuracy. But that's just a rumor to me, I have no idea how true that is.

A good fiberglass stock would eliminate both of those problems but they're definitely expensive and would kill my bank account if I wanted to put a good quality scope on my rifle.

Any suggestions with what I should go with, /k/? Also, discuss your favorite rifles.
>>
>>31371131
Poly stock should do ya just fine
>>
Plastic is fine, wood is worst, fiberglass turns it into a bench gun, which is not the point - it's a battle rifle.
There are ways to strengthen a plastic (polymer) stock. Example, you can epoxy about ten inches of .5"x.125" aluminum bar stock to the side of the forearm (the barrel channel), and that'll stiffen it right up. Get the Sadlak recoil spring guide and mag release, and a Smith Ent bolt release (I know, I know, Smith sucks, but it's a good product). Shim the gas system, it's just as effective as unitizing and it's a cheap DIY fix.
Don't get a SOCOM, .308 should never be fired out of a barrel shorter than 18", it's just a waste of the cartridge.

tl;dr you should get a Polytech instead of an M1A.
>>
>>31371327
>fiberglass turns it into a bench gun
the last 10,000 M14's delivered to the ordinance department by SA were in fiberglass stocks
>>
>>31371352
True, but I assumed he meant the super-duper aftermarket whiz-bang ones (since he talked about how expensive they are). You are right that a plain-Jane fiberglass stock with milspec dimensions would be a good solution, but I guess I mentally filed that under "plastic/polymer," which I shouldn't have done, or at least I should have clarified. Good point.
>>
>>31371327
>fiberglass turns it into a bench gun
Why would a fiberglass stock turn it into a bench gun?
> Polytech
Never even heard of this company before.
>>
>>31371404
Oh also to add, a Nat Match front sight is a thing of beauty. Takes what is already some of the best irons ever developed and raises it to the next level. I take all my deer with my M14 with the irons. I've never even bothered to put glass on it. Of course I live in a region where the forest is so thick I'm never shooting farther than 150 yards, so if you're in Montana or something you'll probably want optics and I can't help you.
>>
>>31371414
>> Polytech
>Never even heard of this company before.
Google is your friend, learn a fascinating part of the history of M14 production. Or ask a Canadian and feel jelly.
>>
>>31371131
>Cheaply made
>Good quality
>Quick to acquire/manufacture
pick any two.
>>
>>31371131
get polymer, its cheaper, and unless youre driving out to panoche or hodge rd youre probably not going to be shooting more than 500yds.

I have a m1a bush rifle, aka a scout length with a gi joe woodland plastic stock from the 90s, and I can shoot 5 inch groups with a good rest and proper weather conditions.out to 450yds.

Now some tips to make a stock SA m1a(what i assume youre getting) a bit better:
>bed the stock, its easy to DIY it, and hard to fuck it up
>do a DIY trigger job, it does very little, but sometimes a little goes a long way
>lather the gun in grease, google how to do this procedure

Dont bother installing usgi parts and aftermarket, unless your parts legitimately look shit.

Anything more than that, send it to SEI to dick around with(muzzle brake, trigger job, scope mount, etc...). The m1a is NOT a gun you can cheap out on, so hopefully you know owning one is an investment.

FYI its worth looking into just buying one straight from SEI, or sending them a stock m1a to have them work on to what you want your gun to look and shoot like.

If I didnt already have mine, I would have gone that path, since the cost of upgrading on my own was more than what it cost to send a stock one for them to build on.

My rifle cost 1k, it already had all USGI because golden era, I replaced most of it after my first 3000 rounds with aftermarket, then I fucked around with different expensive muzzle brakes until I found the right one for what I wanted out of the rifle(loud as fuck with no recoil), then eventually my front sight post got loose so had to replace that with better quality one, then I added a scope mount on it(arms 18 original) which turned out to be shit compared to the SEI one and I ended up sending the rifle in for an install.

Moral of story is, if I sent it in from the start and told them I wanted a no recoil rifle for 500yds, and for them to replace the worn out parts with better shit, I would have saved ALOT of money and ammo.
>>
>>31371131
>I'm in CA so an AR10 isn't really an option for me anymore

you mean you're actually gonna follow the shitty laws? fuck that, get yourself an AR10, unpin those mags and change that bullet button back to a real mag reelase

FUCK THE LAW
>>
>>31372138
this
and why would you but an m1a when garands are only $730
>>
>>31373449
maybe he wants .308 and not .30-06 ?

*He did say magazine fed.
>>
>>31371513
Good quality and cheaply made combo doesn't preclude quick to make. If anything it sort of requires quick to make because the longer you take to make something the more expensive it becomes generally.
>>
File: 1473143405907.jpg (137KB, 658x370px) Image search: [Google]
1473143405907.jpg
137KB, 658x370px
>>31371474
Mfw I wasn't old enough to get a $500 M-14 clone and now they're frequently more expensive than an M1A
>>
>>31373480
bruh, you can get a 308 garand
and do you really think they wont ban semiautos with detachable mags within the next few years?
>>
>>31373528
they were $500 of clinton era dollars. were not talking obamabux. itd be like buying a SCAR today. yea, we all want it but cant just go buy it on a whim
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.