[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How the fuck did cavemen make these? They're beautiful.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 9

File: image.jpg (121KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
121KB, 600x800px
How the fuck did cavemen make these? They're beautiful. Could you chip a rock good enough to make something like these?
>>
>>31364785
They had a shitload of practice.

>Could you chip a rock good enough to make something like these?

No, im not a caveman smashing rocks together.
>>
>>31364785
OP they did, so can you.

It's not hard, just takes some practice and lots of patience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyzNIa-U5Nc

watch all of them, good shit
>>
It's called flint knapping and it's a pain in the ass.
>>
>>31364785
It's mostly pressure flaking. You chip a big flake off of a rock, then push on the edge at just the right angle with a flaking tool (antler usually) and peel flakes off. It takes a lot of practice. That's how you get the long narrow flakes.
>>
>>31364785
They weren't black. Those guys had throwing clubs.
>>
File: image.jpg (274KB, 954x1300px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
274KB, 954x1300px
>>31364785
What you need sharp rock for?
No sabretooth near berry bushes.
Vice tribal elder Grooden say plain rock best for cave defense.
>>
>>31366063
Big nose tribe go!
>>
File: image.jpg (394KB, 800x528px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
394KB, 800x528px
>>31366094
Cone at me, aurochs herder.
Me buy stock of .22 pebble when Clintrock gets new chieftain.

Berrypicker gonna have to cough up many sea shells for pebble.
>>
File: SPEARS.jpg (260KB, 800x551px) Image search: [Google]
SPEARS.jpg
260KB, 800x551px
>>31366063

Go back to big cave tribe and live berry picker life with little berry picker rock.

Me live like real caveman, no kill mastodon or bear unless you have spear like the ancestors.
>>
>>31364785
B I F O C A L
I
F
O
C
A
L
>>
>>31366191
> attacking bear from front
> first grunt no spear discipline
> gets in way of kill stab
> backup guy has horribly spear placement

0/10, would not hunt and gather with
>>
File: image.jpg (156KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
156KB, 800x600px
Ohio fag here. These are surprisingly easy to find around here. Freshly plowed bottom land after a rain storm is prime hunting grounds. I have found a few. I know guys that have found dozens.
>>
>>31366063
>What you need sharp rock for?

Its not called the cave painting of needs is it?
>>
>>31366063
>>31366094
>>31366146
>>31366191
>>31366191

1204/10 pretty good. pls moar.
>>
>>31364785
>How the fuck did cavemen make these?
flint knap? there are hundreds of YT videos about it.
>>
File: IMG_5122.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5122.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Related to thread, not so much cavemans but Injuns, my gf's family has land in central TX, and in the side of this bluff is a flient vein that they used to mine for flint. It slopes up from the ground at an angle, about 200 feet long and ends maybe 50 feet off the ground

Over 5 or so generations most of the arrowheads have been found, but she says you'd used to find em everywhere. Her brother found a bunch when they were kids. The whole time I was on this land I kept looking for them but never found any. I broke off a few chunks from the vein myself to try to knap at home, never got around to it

This was a really cool thing to see
>>
>>31364785
>dem Clovis points

The best way to learn to make them is to be so fucking hungry you can't stand it, and to realize that the only way to get unhungry is to make a spear point out of a rock.

Then, remove all distractions like cell phones and cars and TVs and whiskey and motorcycles and internet and freshly showered women, and squat in a cave and bang rocks together. At some point you'll have gotten really good at it and you'll consistently turn out awesome fluted Clovis points.
>>
File: IMG_5121.jpg (4MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5121.jpg
4MB, 2448x3264px
>>31367047

The bluff in question. Hard to make out through the trees but you can see where they carved out the shelf, I had to squat-crawl up it
>>
File: IMG_5124.jpg (4MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5124.jpg
4MB, 3264x2448px
>>31367075

Last one, view from inside it. All along the right side is vein. Also there is a "mine" of paint rocks about 200 yeards from this, there's still some Injun painted stuff at the base of this bluff, lots of hand prints and what not. No cool drawings though. I applied battle paint to myself before shooting, and also used it to paint a bullseye on a piece of cardboard I found to use as a target

Injun stuff is cool
>>
>>31367111
>>31367047
injuns literally are caveman fmalan.
>>
>>31364785
Student of Archaeology here. Paleoindian stuff like what you show really represents the pinnacle of Lithic technology. These and similar designs were produced during the earliest stages of North American habitation, and then the tech crashed shortly after the ice age finally ended. A number of different tools and techniques were used to produce these. Also, certain special knowledge was needed to select the finest stone, always a cryptocrystalline silicate of some sort (flint, chert, obsidian, chalcedony, jasper, petrified wood). Many archaeologists feel that, due to the skill required to make these (especially the advanced outre-passe flaking technique), there may have been some degree of job-specialization amoung paleoindian groups.
>>
>>31366191
>conservatives attempt to rescue liberal under terrorist attack.jpg
>>
>>31367284
This is some really interesting stuff, could you by chance recommend some literature on this subject?
>>
File: image.jpg (75KB, 823x620px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
75KB, 823x620px
>>31366063
>15000BC
>no have obsidian spear
You mother mate out of season too.
>>
>>31367570
>Black rock

you only want it because you can't hunt with regular creek pebble.
>>
>>31364785
The difference between you and the caveman is:

>I'm going to chip rocks for a few hours as a hobby, then my mom is going to have my Mac and cheese ready

Caveman:

>I'll chip this rock all day long because my family is starving, and then I gotta go Ooga booga to get all the men together for a hunt, because it's LIFE or DEATH

Necessity is the mother of invention, it can also be argued the cause for motivation.

TL;dr

You're a spoiled millinial, they had to get good or die.
>>
>>31367654
>The difference between you and the caveman is:

B-but ppl have learned to flint knap as a hobby and there are quite good ones on YT who can make you a repro of various styles of blade in a few minutes/hours. what gives?

>>31367284
>there may have been some degree of job-specialization amoung paleoindian groups.

there are literalky "knapping workshops" with heaps over heaps of discarded shards all over the world showing that there literally was localized flint knapping "industry" in flint rich areas.
>>
>>31367499
not that guy but

primitiveways.com

I know you're really only interested in replicating the technology and not actually learning about the history, and that site is actually a shockingly good source on both for the layman (since they're one in the same anyway)

I don't wanna be mr. "OMG MODERN MAN IS SO INEPT" but primitive man had a lot of skill and training in manufacturing. It's why man worked out -- we're not good at much else other than being FUCKING NERDS
>>
>>31367729
>what gives?
They do it a lot, and had been doing it a lot. Most people don't.

Old people can't install a printer. A young person can program one in an hour. Why? A young person does that shit on the reg. Ask a young person to knit a scarf, and they can't, though. Ask an old guy to knit a hat, and he'll have a professional looking beret for you that very afternoon.

Look at it like art -- art is timeless. Art has been forever, and technology in it jumps very slowly. It still takes a renaissance-era student and a modern Full Sail "graduate" about the same amount of time to master natural paints. The difference is that the modern person can, instead of mastering paint, can master CG coloring or 3d modelling or somesuch. But the renaissance man had fewer artistic options, so more of them went for paints.
>>
>>31365634
These are mostly soft hammer and indirect percussion flaking using antler.
>>
>>31366239
Bifacial
>>
>>31364785
Just like in modern society there were craftsmen and artisans
Rather than blacksmiths there would have been professional stone chippers who perfected the art of making one of these over a few years
and also honestly if you put enough time and effort into it, anyone can do that with the right stones
>>
>>31368073
>and also honestly if you put enough time and effort into it, anyone can do that with the right stones
this, its just no longer useful compared to modern manufacturing processes like, say, forging blades instead of knapping them

but even then its reliant on high-effort stuff like finding and smelting ores and all the industries around that. nothing is easier than it ever was. we just have more hands to lighten the loads.
>>
>30,000BC
>Be caveman
>Unable to make flint arrowheads
>berry picker as fuck
>>
>>31368047
F U C K I W A S W R O N G
U A R
C S O
K N
G
>>
>>31368288
this is what i get for verticalposting from mobile
>>
>>31367767
Thanks anon.
>>
>>31364785
White power
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.