[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If I'm trying to become a cop, which is better to have as

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

File: marshal-lost-thousand-radios.jpg (252KB, 690x388px) Image search: [Google]
marshal-lost-thousand-radios.jpg
252KB, 690x388px
If I'm trying to become a cop, which is better to have as of today, a Bachelor's Degree or Military Exp.?
>>
>>31362708
This was just posted like 2 days ago
>>
Which makes me better at taking pictures of poor unemployed people for my own entertainment?
>>
A grade 10 education will do it.
>>
>>31362720
Poor unemployed people? More like worst parents of the year. I personally am glad that these police officers took those pictures. I didn't realize the heroin problem was as bad as it is. Poor unemployed people my ass
>>
>>31362720

Being poor isn't a choice. Being a degenerate is.
>>
>>31362761
Both are choices... To a degree
:^)
>>31362708
An Associates alone, in any major, is qualification enough to become State Police in Pennsylvania.

You could be a fuckin' Cosmetology Major, and they would take you in and give you a gun.
>>
>>31362708
I do believe the cops won't hire you if you're too smart -they like 'em dumb. By that criteria Military XP is a shoo in.
>>
It would be easier just to get a job at the animal shelter
>>
>>31362708
Neither. Miltary trains for deescalation, while law enforcement prefers escalation. Also, law enforcement went to court to defend tossing of candidates that are too smart, and won.
>>
>>31363013
yeah and if you rack a shotgun it will scare all the burglars away
>>
Bump.

I'm considering LE. I have the necessary amount of college credits my local PD requires....and I hate school so I want to jump right in. However, I'm wondering if I need a bachelor's or an Associate's to eventually become a detective and if it will make me look better during the hiring process and for moving through the ranks

Any suggestions?
>>
My local PD requires:
2 years of experience (waived for ex-military)
Bachelor's Degree in literally anything
No criminal record of any kind
and 4-year degree in Criminology will waive only ONE YEAR of the two-year requirement.

And the only way you can get the required two years of experience is by being either a Community Service Officer (ie: meter maid and traffic patrol), court bailiff, or a corrections officer for two years prior to applying.

I can't tell if this is fairly typical practice at departments around the country, but it seems pretty strict to me.

t. wannabe cop
>>
File: 1473735292482.jpg (98KB, 640x744px) Image search: [Google]
1473735292482.jpg
98KB, 640x744px
>>31362729

In Ohio where this was taken we have a HUGE heroin problem, can't speak for other states.
>>
>>31363506
That's pretty standard. I managed to find a dept that didn't require college, but if you're trying to get on pretty anywhere these days, good luck without at least a bachelor's.
>>
>>31363545
I'd say its getting better. Last year the police chief of Akron (or maybe it was the sheriff for whatever county Akron us in) held a press conference where he begged junkies to only get their heroin from trusted dealers because Krokodil was showing up in their drug busts.
>>
>>31363506
Get a real bachelor's degree in something you can use outside of law enforcement. Don't study CJ or forensic stuff unless you want to be a tech or scientist. Maybe law, if you want to be a lawyer later on. It's best to have education and skills to fall back on. If I didn't have a BA and wasn't a traffic collision investigator, I would have been boned when I had to take an extremely early medical retirement.

I see so many idiots who think their four years in the green machine makes them good cops. No. Customer service is actually probably the best path for pre-cops, believe it or not. Your job will be to deal with the biggest asshole in the world and also remain calm when psycho bitch married to "Don't You Know Who I Am?" starts screaming at you.

Get experience as a cadet or CSO if they have those programs. That's great experience, exposure, and a way to find out if you like it and can do the job. So many guys just suck at being cops. Cops aren't superheroes, but you no one wants a marginally intelligent, unobservant, unmotivated person the street.

If you want a good example of what being a cop is really like, watch Southland. It's about as realistic as it gets for TV. Read some of the Joseph Wambaugh Hollywood Station novels. If that's your culture and you won't be the guys that the character's hate, then you can be a cop.
>>
>>31363545
this, last month here in SW Ohio there was a week of non stop ODs from some shitty heroin. I thin one citys ambulance crews actually ran out of Narcan
>>
>>31363569
Well I have a BFA, and I'm sure that'll get a chuckle on an app, and I've been working as a graphic designer for a few years but hate it now. So I'd have to take the Basic Abilities Test and then try for CSO I guess. There's nothing wrong with being a CSO of course, it's just not very glamorous work.

I made friends with a fire chief recently, and he's been trying to recruit me into that instead. Probably because I'm Amazon-mode
>>
>>31363590

As if junkies watch interviews with the police chief. Here in Lancaster county it's just as bad as it's been.

>>31363630

Right? I was in Circleville last week and everyone I saw looked like a junkie.
>>
>>31363632
I'd try both firefighting and CSO to get an idea of what appeals to you most. I never intended to be a cop and knew nothing about law enforcement until I was ~22. I was a NEET loser who dropped out of art school and thought LE or fire/rescue seemed like it might be fun. And then I managed to find a place that would take me despite no experience. I still have no clue how I got hired.
>>
>>31363668
I don't really know how to "try out" for firefighting, though. To be honest, I haven't looked up the first thing about it, it was never on my radar. I guess I COULD, though.

But the thing that kind of made me sweat a bit is that he told me the majority of their workday involves EMS and not actually fighting fires. I have... a somewhat more than mild phobia of medically-related things, because I was in the hospital a lot as a child. I know I need to get over it, but it's a tough thing to psychologically break.

>I still have no clue how I got hired.
Different areas have different needs?

I live in a city of 1.5 million. They're pretty choosy about who they hire, as a consequence.

I think I might try out for CSO. Court Bailiff pays more, but I'm a product of my generation and I really can't see myself standing silently in a big room for ten or twelve hours a day. That would drive me nuts.
>>
>>31362708
Get a degree. You should plan ahead. Get the qualifications for the job you want in 10 year, not the one you try to get now. Mil exp will maybe make you a good street cop but won't ensure you climbing the ranks in the police organisation.
>>
>>31363808
Volunteer firefighting is the best intro there is. And you're right, it's mostly EMS calls, but frankly, you will have to get over that phobia to be a cop. I've seen shootings, stabbings, rapes, etc, and when medics respond in my city, PD usually goes with them, because people love to fight medics in the ghetto. So you'll see some gnarly medical stuff no matter what. Also, CSO would probably be more fun than bailiff, you'll get to be in court a lot as a cop.
>>
>>31362708
Low intelligence and a penchant for murder seem to be the order of the day.
>>
>>31362761
Being poor very often is a choice. Or rather, staying poor is. I have guys complain constantly that they're broke. But will they take overtime offered to them? No. Will they cut back, or maybe even stop playing $30 a day on the lottery? No. Will they cut back weekend benders? No. Will they use their tax refund to pay ahead on bills or stuff it into savings? No.
>>
>>31363969
I'll look into it and ask, next time I see him. Thanks!

> you will have to get over that phobia to be a cop.
Violence doesn't phase me. Medicine does. I can't explain it.
>>
>>31364153
I see. It's weird what affects some people. I don't mind the violence either, and I enjoy medicine, but the things I've seen done to kids fucks with me.
>>
File: watthepumpkremn.jpg (19KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
watthepumpkremn.jpg
19KB, 480x360px
>>31362708
wow can he set up his holster to stick out any farther from his leg??
>>
>>31362708
Most big departments and larger agencies want bachelor's degrees. I would go guard or reserve and go to college if I were you. That's what I'm doing anyways. Criminal justice is what everyone who wants to be a cop Is going for though so keep that in mind, try to pick up a second language if you can too it won't do anything but help you. Volunteering and other community services will be a boon too, especially if it's in the town you want to police. Also keep in mind that the emphasis of policing is going to shift from a more broken windows/heavy enforcement model to a more community oriented model with heavy influence from intelligence based and hotspot policing strategies. Keep in mind that you're most vital skill sets are going to be communication and people reading skills, that's why they like college and military people.
>>
>>31363545
WV is just as bad, bit the cops wont bust the heroin dealers. Cant get permission to. Its all drugs ran by the government.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.