[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How often is playing possums a solid battle field tactic to use

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 10

File: 1473898181417.jpg (1MB, 1247x869px) Image search: [Google]
1473898181417.jpg
1MB, 1247x869px
How often is playing possums a solid battle field tactic to use against the enemy or entrenched fighters?

Are there stories of sqauds playing possums to get a jump on the enemy or is it just a myth associated with the act of playing possums?

Imagine wandering into an enemy base and all you see are dead guys lying around, but in reality they're just playing possums and as soon as you relax they have you right where they want you?

Post good tactics using this technique ITT if you have them.
>>
File: 1474000466338.png (520KB, 892x1013px) Image search: [Google]
1474000466338.png
520KB, 892x1013px
>>
>>31349710
Posting in quality thread
>>
It would only work to bait an ambush that would only work on the most incessantly idiotic leaders.

Also would likely lead to the execution of enemy wounded on sight.
>>
I would think it be pretty noticeable. All these guys on the ground with their rifles close by, no blood, no issues with the corpses, I'd waste a bullet just to check, I think your better off hiding and doing it that way. He'll even if you didn't want to waste a bullet, step on one and see how the body feels, I'm sure there would be noticeable breathing too.
>>
>>31349745
What if those soldiers who were playing possums covered themselves in fake blood and bullet holes and stuff ahead of time?

Even put a couple of dummies to make the playing possums seal realer since the dummies could be mangled near the playing possums.
>>
>>31349710
So you wander into a base and none of the guys have blood one them but they're on the ground?

I'd run the other way immediately
>>
File: 1474020837523.jpg (14KB, 270x187px) Image search: [Google]
1474020837523.jpg
14KB, 270x187px
>>31349761
Just where the possums want you
>>
>>31349756
By the time you planned a tactic like this and made real enough dummy corpses, even if you used enemy corpses, you be better off hiding still. There is a shit load of risk with very very little payoff to this. No one in their right mind would try it. This be like a last ditch lost all my weapons and I'm alone so I'll hide under a dead mark and hope they walk past, which still leaves questions like if they be clearing bodies soon, if they would loot you, basically it's a I got nothing left tactic.
>>
File: 468617984.jpg (49KB, 620x421px) Image search: [Google]
468617984.jpg
49KB, 620x421px
>>31349749
Even better tactic seen here is playing possums with cover. Easier tactic as it shows you that the playing possums soldiers are already covered like the real deal but in reality they are just playing possums and ready to strike once the trap is sprung.
>>
>>31349756
Explain how time spent doing that would be more productive than time spent shooting at the people attacking you.
>>
>>31349779
The amount of desperation you need to try this, you be better off surrendering first.
>>
>>31349787
You plan ahead.
>>
I thought anchor shots were a thing?
>>
>>31349804
There is no real way to defend a tactic like this. You might as well just scream to the enemy that you are done and give up and want to go home, then when they are like ah OK these guys are done, you all bum rush them and slit throats. Just as valid and sane tactic as pretending to be dead. Sorry man, this isn't the movies, it doesn't work.
>>
>>31349817
Give them helmets that look like regular heads just slightly larger
>>
>>31349804
Fake a retreat and then over take them as they attempt to overtake your ground, or hide like I said, both better uses of time and resources.
>>
File: size0.jpg (83KB, 640x426px) Image search: [Google]
size0.jpg
83KB, 640x426px
>>31349836
Better idea:

Have the soldiers playing possums have ropes attached to them from the other end, manned by another group of soldiers (hidden soldiers).[

As the enemy approaches the playing possums soldiers, the others slowly drag them into position around the opponents, so slowly they don't know it is happening. Give them covers for their backs and before you know it the playing possums soldiers have snuck behind the enemy and can ambush them easily.
>>
>>31349710
You shoot dead people because you are not sure they are dead. If your covered in blood but intact im shooting. Better off you know just setting a normal ambush.
>>
>>31349761
Or you know shoot the guys on the ground to make sure.
>>
>>31349845

Better yet, attach the ropes to the ENEMY soldiers, so you can drag them into an area already sighted out by your artillery, and then have the arty finish them off.
>>
File: PSGD2.jpg (39KB, 420x420px) Image search: [Google]
PSGD2.jpg
39KB, 420x420px
>>31349848
What if the playing possums soldiers were bulletproof decoys the whole time, and while you give away your position shooting the dummies the sound lets the real ones know where to shoot and you have been shot instead?
>>
File: 51ns-AS0f1L._SL1000_.jpg (65KB, 876x1000px) Image search: [Google]
51ns-AS0f1L._SL1000_.jpg
65KB, 876x1000px
>just a soldier playing possums
>>
File: Untitled.png (468KB, 876x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
468KB, 876x1000px
>>31349866
>OR WAS IT
>>
I have one story, but he purposefully didn't play dead
>Vietnam
>Guy is on M-60
>They are attacked
>Grenade knocks guy on M-60 out
>Gooks rush past
>Guy wakes up
>Wipes out like 10 people
It's from a vignette in this old Marine handbook, but I can't find the section again. Also couldn't find it online.
>>
>>31349710
Any competant fighting force is trained to do dead checks. My units SOP was to muzzle thump. If they scream then you shoot them. If they don't they are dead. Now quit trying to get a screencap of your "epic thread".
>>
>>31349938
http://www.history.army.mil/moh/vietnam-m-z.html#NEWLIN
Nvm just found it after some rediculous searching
>>
>>31349948
Didn't realize every competent fighting force was trained to do dead checks in the middle of assaulting. We just trained to do them after the fighting was done.
>>
>>31349710
Thread got stupid, but this is basically what russians did , it sounds stupid but when 80 percent of their advance was mowed down the survivors just stayed in place. It wasn't really their choice, if they went back/retreated they would be executed anyway. The Germans found out they had to mop up (kill) the remaining ones fast or the russians would infil more almost instantly. Reading combat reports is enlightening sometimes.
>>
>>31349991
Yea, you don't "assault" through a bunch of guys laying on the ground. In that case it is fair game to shoot them. My point being no competant force just runs by a squad of guys laying down.
>>
File: 1474021216379.jpg (35KB, 492x252px) Image search: [Google]
1474021216379.jpg
35KB, 492x252px
>>31350004
Got any links?
>>
>>31349749
You do realize if your side thinks you're executing the wounded you'll be hanged, and if the guys trying to ambush you realize that you know, they'll shoot you? Your plan is suicide.
>>
>>31349710
Did you just play cod:world at war or something?
https://youtu.be/BB2y-MCAJrY?t=273
>>
>>31350034
Always been told you can shoot them on the ground while moving toward them in the middle of a firefight.
>>
>>31350051
I'm looking for the link, jeebus, and no, I'm not playing anything.
>>
>>31350145
You're not me
>>
>>31349710

>How often
Never.
>Are their stories
Star Wars is a story, don't make it true or a good idea
>all you see is dead guys
Your immeditate reaction =
>why are they dead
>we didn't hit this base yes
>there's not blood
>no signs of battle
>they all have their weapons with them
>if they were KIA soldiers would have taken them
>oh look that guy is breathing
not to mention
>taking 3 seconds to lean up, sight your weapon, get on target, shoot
>meanwhile the enemy already has his weapon at the ready
>and shoots your first while you scramble to get "combat ready" after pretending to play dead
and don't think for a second they won't check to make sure you're not pretending. In the army we trained to walk up on you and kick your in the balls as hard as possible while 2 other guys point guns at you, so if you scream OUCH you get fucking shot
>>
US military doctrine is if you pass by a body you fucking kick the body in the nuts, then kick the weapon away. (At least that's what I was taught in BCT and employed inna combat). Worked like a charm.
>>
>>31349845
When I started reading that, I got the hilarious image in my head of a bunch of soldiers following another 'dead' soldier, being tugged by a rope around a corner, just like you see with people following a dollar note hooked to fishing line.
>>
>>31349710
>Imagine wandering into an enemy base and all you see are dead guys lying around

Go back to playing video games, kid.
>>
>>31349710
>Imagine wandering into an enemy base and all you see are dead guys lying around, but in reality they're just playing possums and as soon as you relax they have you right where they want you?

Imagine wandering near an enemy base and you get shot from 1.5km away.

How's that for a tactic?
>>
>>31349710
My local hero Gino Merli
He was serving as a machine gunner in the vicinity of Sars la Bruyere, Belgium, on the night of 4 September 1944, when his company was attacked by a superior German force. Its position was overrun and he was surrounded when our troops were driven back by overwhelming numbers and firepower. Disregarding the fury of the enemy fire concentrated on him he maintained his position, covering the withdrawal of our riflemen and breaking the force of the enemy pressure. His assistant machine gunner was killed and the position captured; the other 8 members of the section were forced to surrender. Pfc. Merli slumped down beside the dead assistant gunner and feigned death. No sooner had the enemy group withdrawn then he was up and firing in all directions. Once more his position was taken and the captors found 2 apparently lifeless bodies. Throughout the night Pfc. Merli stayed at his weapon. By daybreak the enemy had suffered heavy losses, and as our troops launched an assault, asked for a truce. Our negotiating party, who accepted the German surrender, found Pfc. Merli still at his gun. On the battlefield lay 52 enemy dead, 19 of whom were directly in front of the gun. Pfc. Merli's gallantry and courage, and the losses and confusion that he caused the enemy, contributed materially to our victory
>>
>>31350004
nice meme
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.