[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>1914 >the world is marvelous place >we will visit the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 10

File: ngbbs514cae1818c52.png (41KB, 584x700px) Image search: [Google]
ngbbs514cae1818c52.png
41KB, 584x700px
>1914
>the world is marvelous place
>we will visit the planets soon
>we can fly
>we can send a message across the ocean almost instantaneously
>We've discovered the structure of the atom

Why are there no movies about ww1 soldiers getting fucked up like there is with vietnam

WW1 literally founded the modernist literary movement.
>>
>>
>>31335920
WW1 doesn't sell as many tickets as WW2 or Vietnam
>>
I know of one, but I can't recall the title. It's about this good ol' boy who's doesn't want to fight in the Great War because he's a Christian and killing is a sin, tries to avoid the draft claiming it's against his religion, draft board doesn't buy it.
He gets sent off to WWI. I remember it's portrayal there was real as fuck.

Lot of Chaplain's movies featured WWI, and they're comedies, but the joke in pretty much any scene is what a horrible time everyone's having.

Except in the big gun scene Great Dictator.
>>
>>31335965
Theres also that ww1 short series, Blackadder goes forth, which is laden with hilarity until the ending that hits you like a truck loaded with feels.
>>
>2014
>the world is an awful place
>we will never vist any celestial bodies again
>we get stripped searched before we can fly
>we can send irrelevant shit to millions of people instantaneously
>We've discovered misery
>>
>>31335920
>Johnny got his gun
It's a man who survives a battle in ww1 and is forced to live in a shell of his body with no way of communicating with anyone. It's one the saddest things I've ever heard
http://youtu.be/_IugXBh8tyE
>>
File: RhodesiansNeverDie.jpg (188KB, 680x750px) Image search: [Google]
RhodesiansNeverDie.jpg
188KB, 680x750px
>>31336028
>"'than kill me,' over and over again, 'kill me'..."
>>
Two important reasons.

The first, is that it's of very little relevence to the United States in the grand scheme of things. (protip, Hollywood is one of the only places massive budget films are made.)

The second, is that it's essentially a continuation of the European and colonial land wars of the 17th, 18th and 19th centuries. and thus there is no real "good vs Evil" story and there isn't any real political message about them. well, none that are readily apparent to the average highschool history flunky.

It also doesn't help that there are no veterans of the conflict left.

The second world war, however has a clearly set "bad guy". which is a rarity for any war. The United States had a very important role in the conflict from almost the start (inb4 asshurt euros come in with the "murriga did nuffin) and thus, relevance to Hollywood

It also doesn't help that a huge chunk of the population was involved in the war effort. when they came home there was a lot of people with a lot of stories. not to mention the propaganda use.. Audie Murphy is a good example. plus there are still a bunch of people around.

You see this with the American Civil War too. There were a shit load of ACW films in the 50s, 60s and 70s because the adults of the day were actually able to communicate with veterans of the conflict (the last person to be in a battle line was a drummer boy who died in '51 if i remember right) but there arn't too many movies about it today. and when there are, it's almost entirely focused on the white guilt part. This is because there are not nearly as many people around who were able to get first hand accounts on the conflict.
>>
>>31335920
WW1 war movies are like 30 minutes of pure carnage at the will of artillery, machine guns, and gas.
>>
>>31335965
Sgt.york
>>
>>31335920
The "just a bunch of guys sitting in trenches waiting to get gassed" meme is too deeply embedded in popular culture.

>People will never learn about the insanity of tunnel battles
>Pilots being groomed like Aztec sacrifices because they were almost certain to die on their fis
>Shooting grenades out of the air with Winchester 97's
>The absolute terror of being in a WW1 tank
>Ass-clenchingly close quarters trench raids
>Improvised weapons
>Prototype semi-autos and machine-guns
>Putting up barb wire in the middle of the night hoping the snipers won't hear you hammering posts

Maybe Battlefield 1 will spur some interest at least, and we'll get more authentic depictions as a result.
>>
>>31336149
>Battlefield 1
It's a shit show for authenticity and likely will only to deepen the memes.

Not to mention that casual unlocks are one offs and special issue gear that makes the game feel no different than the other battlefields.

They had a chance, and then they fucked it in the ear.
>>
File: image.jpg (43KB, 604x397px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
43KB, 604x397px
>>31336028
>>
>>31336176
I'm aware that it's Brownfield 6: Brownline, but the fact that anything at all mainstream is even touching the first world war is encouraging to me. If enough WW1 related stuff gets made as a result of a new trend, at least some of it will be good.

It breaks what to me is the most damaging meme about WW1, that it was boring and that people just sat around in trenches for 4 years before going home.

Once people are open to the idea that WW1 can be exciting, maybe they'll learn to appreciate the realities of it as well.
>>
File: 1472832128990.jpg (56KB, 640x800px) Image search: [Google]
1472832128990.jpg
56KB, 640x800px
>>31335990
Fuck that show, it made me laugh, I expected everything to be comically fine and dandy for everyone like in all the other seasons, and then it tore my heart out
>>
File: pistol duel.jpg (134KB, 1000x752px) Image search: [Google]
pistol duel.jpg
134KB, 1000x752px
>>31336028
I read this last year, and i would recommend it. The lack of punctuation made it hard to follow, but once I got into it, it added a lot to the rambling and crazy tone.
>>
>>31336149
WE WUZ HEROES
>>
File: image.jpg (146KB, 800x531px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
146KB, 800x531px
>>31336028
>>
>>31336053
>The second, is that it's essentially a continuation of the European and colonial land wars of the 17th, 18th and 19th centuries. and thus there is no real "good vs Evil" story and there isn't any real political message about them

I think this is a big part. Hollywood loves to make movies about patriotic heroes beating the evil.
WWI? You're sent to the meat grinder to fight against other guys, but you don't really know why. Half of the war was convincing the guys to keep fighting through propaganda, nationalism, fear, and ever increasing ammounts of wine.

Also with the birth of modern warfare soldiers were butchered by the thousands and there was little they could do about it. There isn't much heroism in being the only survivor of an artillery strike when everyone was just sitting in a trench with nowhere to go. It's just luck.

I think the horror, and more than anything the absurdity, quickly make all the patriotic hero bullshit irrelevant.

A good movie about WW1 would be dark as fuck with no happy ending. Hollywood doesn't do that.
>>
>>31336053
>it's of very little relevance to the United States in the grand scheme of things>literally the event that shaped international politics as we know it today
>>
File: 1473100924505.png (181KB, 309x323px) Image search: [Google]
1473100924505.png
181KB, 309x323px
>>31336028
>>
>>31336212
>Once people are open to the idea that WW1 can be exciting, maybe they'll learn to appreciate the realities of it as well.
Shame that Verdun isn't more popular. That game is exciting as fuck.
>>
>>31338946
>but you don't really know why
I want this meme to die.
>>
ANZACS (wonderful series, BoB before BoB)

Reilly, Ace of Spies (series, touches on WW1 in several episodes)

Fall of Eagles (series, politics)

Beneath Hill 60 (movie, anzac miners)

Young Indiana Jones (series, a bunch of surprisingly good WW1 episodes)
>>
>>31336149
>Prototype semi-autos
Incredibly rare
>>
File: 1456174854715.jpg (222KB, 760x939px) Image search: [Google]
1456174854715.jpg
222KB, 760x939px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzf9aHZmCAM

i think this documentary is pretty good, i think if you guys are interested in WW1 you should watch it (there are many who has uploaded this documentary but i think this is the only one in the correct order)
>>
>>31339310
>What is the 1911
>>
>>31336028
DARKNESS
>>
>>31337611
I haven't read it yet is just as sad as the movie
>>
>>31335929
Great movie
>>
>>31335920
What are you talking about, hell metallicas first music video had clips about a servicemember that had no legs/arms/eyes/mouth.

>Darkness imprisoning me all that I see absolute horror
>>
>>31341566
>Darkness imprisoning me all that I see absolute horror

Johnny got his gun
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.