[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

French Army is going to replace his FAMAS with the HK 416. What's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5

File: 2.5643x_web1.gif (1MB, 2976x988px) Image search: [Google]
2.5643x_web1.gif
1MB, 2976x988px
French Army is going to replace his FAMAS with the HK 416. What's your opinion on this rifle guys?

What's your opinion on the FAMAS as well?
Personnally I tried it and it is a good rifle, very adjustable with no recoil at all which makes it extremely precise with the sights only. I don't get why they're going to replace it to be honest.
>>
>>31327134
I think 416 will be scrapped for an indigenous design, there's already a lawsuit in the works against french government procurement.

Unlike most other procurement french soldiers were not included on it and a lot of local commanders have gone up in uproar.

FAMAS is a good rifle, we got to use it when the french came over to train with us. Its light and ergonomic. Recoil so light its like shooting a pistol.

Only downside is the Sight is too High on the non FELIN spec rifles. And the controls are a little odd.
>>
File: 1467925386558.png (842KB, 677x638px) Image search: [Google]
1467925386558.png
842KB, 677x638px
>>31327134
less expensive
easier to clean up in africa
can shoot modern ammo
more compatible parts with allies
bullpup aren't hip anymore
>>
>>31327178
>Unlike most other procurement french soldiers were not included on it and a lot of local commanders have gone up in uproar.
It's typical of the French Army. It should have an R&D department by now, but she has outsourced everything and is incapable of development. It's ridiculous to see what a mess this is.
>>
>>31327188
>can shoot modern ammo
5.56 isn't modern? I don't get it.
>>
Pretty sound choice, certainly wiser from a logistical standpoint than a niche gun like the VHS. Definite improvement over the Famas. Famas was nice for the cold war standards, but its horribly dated and attempts to update it were halfass and left a bunch of guys with a Wiimote for a front grip but not the sight it controls.
>I don't get why they're going to replace it to be honest.
No spare parts being produced was my understanding
>>
>>31327201
From what i heard its very much like what the british government wants to happen.

Instead of properly trailling kit they sent it of too contracts and procurement, they basically look at the contracts and decide whats the best value for money rather than whats genuinely the best.

and before you know it you have "lowest bidder strikes again" and they end up spending more money on the contract and the rectification of any issues than they would have if they bought the superior product in the first place.

(i'm not saying the scar or the 416 is better).
>>
>>31327239
The spare parts problem makes sense, as well as the fact that a widely-used gun is more simple to use of course.
>Famas was nice for the cold war standards
How so?
>>
>>31327248
Yup, I guess the big problem is that making public offers isn't going to drive a project by itself, especially in the Army. But the Etat-major (commanding officers and generals sorry!) doesn't really have a say in it I think?
My father is in one of the reserve Etats-majors and he tested many products (battle simulation softwares mostly) over the years. Sometimes things baffled him, but hey it's a mess when people change stations every two years from what he told me.

>GBC trucks' frontlamps aren't hermetically sealed
>Leclerc tanks couldn't ride in sand in Lebanon and their tracks broke down
Sometimes you wonder wtf the engineers are doing in France.
>>
>>31327249
A light compact 5.56 with integrated bipod and provisions for rifle grenades (something the french are weirdly fond of). It was all a french soldier would need. Modern sensibilities are about modularity and everyone having optics and other bells and whistles, which is not a role the Famas fills with its unavoidably tall HoB.
>>
>>31327213
He means that the FAMAS was intended to use steel cased ammo
So the French can't reliably use modern brass ammo and the twist rate is also wrong for that ammo I believe
>>
>>31327281
That's a good point of view. I didn't know about the rifle grenades, but hey they're fun!
The only issue is that the French Army is so often used to wage war with fucking nothing on the battlefield that these specificities don't really apply. From what I learned during my short time is that the French make war with what they have and it's not quite much.
>>
>>31327213
French use "older", lighter non-AP version of this round. There is upgraded version of FAMAS navy uses - G2(??? I think) - that can but only navy has those.

On top of it they can't use brass cases.
>>
>>31327295
Ok, I don't know shit about ammo that's why I asked thanks!
>>
>>31327134

I was surprised.

Isn't HK 416 just a heavier and slightly worse SCAR at the same price?

And considering they will be using the gun for next 30-40 years it seems stupid to settle for AR-18 with fancy polymers.
>>
>>31327134
Wait, didn't we JUST HAVE THIS FUCKING THREAD YESTERDAY?
>>
File: 2447px-FAMAS-F1_vs_G2.svg.png (285KB, 2447x1704px) Image search: [Google]
2447px-FAMAS-F1_vs_G2.svg.png
285KB, 2447x1704px
>>31327295
>He means that the FAMAS was intended to use steel cased ammo
>So the French can't reliably use modern brass ammo and the twist rate is also wrong for that ammo I believe

That's only true for the G1. The G2 uses the same ammo and mags as an M4.
>>
>>31327134
> I don't get why they're going to replace it to be honest.
The factory that makes the FAMAS was absorbed by Nexter and shutdown in the early 2000s, meaning no new FAMAS' or spare parts have been made for a while.
>>
>>31327280
in the uk
MAN regular trucks to replace amphibious stalwarts.
US

Buys M60s only to submit 30 years later that the FN MAG is superior.
7.62 NATO.
M14.
M16 (early editions)

Lots of other shit kit too. All mostly bought because of corruption and Senator/congressmen/ Whatever is a major investor at an arms company and can get them "with favorable discounts"
>>
>>31327410
This is downright ridiculous sometimes.
My cousin is in logistics in a helicopter batallion (ALAT) and he told me that when he must order in emergency a spare part to Eurocopter they charge ten times as much just because. It's insane.
>>
>>31327410
The Stalwart hasn't been in service since the 80's. It wasn't replaced with anything. The army used Bedfords and Leylands till they started being replaced with MAN trucks in the 2010's.
>>
>>31327354
The 416 was the inevitable choice due to the nation of origin. Politics played a huge part in procurement, as always; the Bongolians only just voted to leave the EU and that leaves France and Germany as the only two relevant nations left in the entire union. They were bound to seek closer economic ties, and replacing your entire national stockpile of rifles is a pretty huge deal.
>>
>>31327466
>leaves France and Germany as the only two relevant nations left in the entire union
You forgot Estonia.
>>
>>31327466

But once that chick wins in France we could very well get Frogxit soon.
>>
>>31327382

Which is only used in the Navy, and not always.

So? His argument stays true.
>>
>>31327503
I concur, the G2 is hardly ever used.
>>
>>31327503
>>31327515

I was simply pointing out that the G2 exists.

It must be really difficult to be as autistic as you, thinking that literally every single thing you read on the internet is some sort of hostile attack against you.
>>
>>31327755
Not autistic at all, I just love to prove people wrong (who doesn't). Your point was worthless, so I pointed it to you that's all.
>>
>>31327134
Both are good rifles

It's probably going down to cost, 416s are probably cheaper to produce than famas's.

>tfw no modern NATO army uses AR-10s
>>
>>31327783

It must be really difficult to be as autistic as you, thinking that literally every single thing you read on the internet is some sort of hostile attack against you.
>>
>>31327783
>Your point was worthless

He completely demolished your "point".

How is that "worthless"? Are things only "worthless" when they make you piss yourself?

This meltdown you've having right now really is quite childish. Stop.
>>
>>31327755

No, I just like to write passive-aggressively on 4chan you butthurt faggot
>>
>>31327803
>>31327807
I really have no idea of what I really could reply to you at this point. So here, have a (you) free of charge.
>>
File: 20160914_115843.jpg (1MB, 2560x1536px) Image search: [Google]
20160914_115843.jpg
1MB, 2560x1536px
Thats what a double feed with m193 ammo look like with a famas.
Fresh oc from today
>>
>the French won't re-armor them to semiauto only and sell them to the US.
>they will probaby be destroyed or find their way to combat zones in the middle east
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.