[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /k/ So I just got a Sig P238 and I'm busy trying to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_0921.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0921.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
Hey /k/

So I just got a Sig P238 and I'm busy trying to switch out the grips, when one of the screws threadings doesn't seem to be connecting with the tool. It's like the threading is worn down and I hadn't even done anything to it.

Has anyone been in this situation? What do you do to remedy it? Do I take it to a gunsmith? I haven't even fired the gun yet. Thanks
>>
>>31318645
Tilt the wrench you're using to connect harshly with the sides of the screw. Then, while still applying pressure, turn the wrench with the tilt and unscrew it. Don't reuse that screw and get a new one.
>>
>>31318719

Yeah no such luck, it just seems to be wiggling around inside of the threads and forcefully coming out of the hole when trying to turn.
>>
If you can't figure it out just take it to a smith. It's a easy fix but if you fuck up your gun trying to fix it it's going to be annoying to repair and deal with afterwards. Hopefully the smith will take pity on you and give you a freebe
>>
>>31318811

You sure? I'd rather do one of these things where I glue the piece in overnight and unscrew it, replace the screws instead of paying whatever the gunsmith is going to charge (I've never had to take something in for maintenance so I don't know if they're just going to gouge me thinking I'm a newbie sucker)
>>
File: strippedscrew-100057582-medium.jpg (19KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
strippedscrew-100057582-medium.jpg
19KB, 300x300px
Maybe you don't understand, EVERYTHING is a flat head
>>
>>31319341
This.

Also, you started off with the wrong size driver.
> Screw is 4mm
> Tried turning with 5/32 because 3/16 was too big
Lesson learned: Use the right size tool the first time, and keep both metric and SAE around.
>>
File: Damaged_screw_removers.jpg (520KB, 1930x1005px) Image search: [Google]
Damaged_screw_removers.jpg
520KB, 1930x1005px
>>31318923
If you can be very careful and at okay with tools go for it and fix it yourself. Most people I know are idiots when it comes to things like this and I tend to see a lot of broken gun and car parts so it just depends on how well you can fallow directions and seeing how you came here first I'm left with the impression that you can't deal with it. I really don't mean to sound like a dick it's just most people that are good with things like this can easily find a resolution by doing a Google search.

I would suggest using a screw extractor they cost like $2-$4 and can be found at any hardware shop. They also come in handy every once in a while so it's not exactly a waste of money.

And don't use a bit to make it a flat head, to much room for error
>>
>>31319877

I used the exact correct driver as was designated by the manufacturer It worked with 3 out of the 4. The fourth was already TOO BIG when I placed the driver inside, it had already been dulled/stripped before I ever began turning.
>>
>>31320002
I can also be misunderstanding the problem and giving you wrong advice so just look into it a bit
>>
>>31320002
>>31320028

I had spent the last few hours looking up various solutions and found 3 pretty sound looking ones, I just posted here to see if anyone had experience with the problem and could suggest something different from what I found.

Thanks for the input
>>
File: dafoe.jpg (18KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
dafoe.jpg
18KB, 300x300px
>>31319341
>mfw
>>
>>31320068
Understood. Those extractors work wonders I've used them to fix a lot of people's goof ups everything from the screws on a k98 to a carburetor on a harley davidson it's one of the simplest and less messy options out there.
Well godspeed on your venture /k/omrade
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.