[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If your gun is stolen from you, should you be legally required

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 3

File: image1 (6).jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image1 (6).jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
If your gun is stolen from you, should you be legally required to report it stolen?

>It could prevent crimes from occurring and you should be responsible for your firearms. If you don't it implicates you in any crime that may be committed with said stolen firearm.

>On the other hand, being robbed now makes you a criminal until/unless you report it. Is it ok to be made a criminal due to someone else's actions? How is it your fault that that a firearms was stolen and how are you accountable for what happens with your firearm after it has left your possession?
>>
>>>/pol/
>>
>>31312843
Unless you want to be charged with any crime connected to the firearm, i should say yes.
>>
You should report it to keep your name clean should anything happen with it. It also helps it get back to you should it be found. For this reason I keep a detailed list of serial #'s, cosmetic descriptions, and manufacturing information (origin, date, manufacture, model ect.) and update it when I get a new one or sell one. I've never personally had it happen to me, but people I know have, and they say it's a nightmare of legal bullshit that they had to go through.

>>31312862
Do you try to be retarded or does it just happen?
>>
>>31312843
>If your gun is stolen from you, should you be legally required to report it stolen?

No. But you should report it anyway.

>>It could prevent crimes from occurring

No it couldn't.

>>and you should be responsible for your firearms. If you don't it implicates you in any crime that may be committed with said stolen firearm.

This is one of the reasons why you should report it.

>>On the other hand, being robbed now makes you a criminal until/unless you report it. Is it ok to be made a criminal due to someone else's actions? How is it your fault that that a firearms was stolen and how are you accountable for what happens with your firearm after it has left your possession?

This is why it shouldn't be a law.

Good thought experiment OP.
>>
>>31312843
No. If someone breaks in and steals a kitchen knife from my house and kills another nigger with it, am I next in line for questioning because the knife was in the lot of missing items from my house? Fudds don't realize that it's brainwashing like this law and "personal precaution" of always writing a bill of sale for your guns that just creates an unofficial paper trail for police to follow based on serial number.

ie. Fred buys gun from FFL > bill of sale to George > bill of sale to William > Gun was stolen and found after Jamal shot Tyrone

William is such an irresponsible gun owner that, after Fred and George are cleared of charges by their private sale recipts, he is arrested for not reporting the dangerous weapon on the street because of his negligence to secure it.

This is guncontrol, faggots, unless you treat it like any other tool, you are letting the liberals define it as a weapon carrying ill intent.
>>
>>31316604
a knife cant instantly kill someone from 100 yards away,potentially with little noise. guns are dangerous and it should be the owner's responsibility to notify the police if their gun is stolen. stop trying to act like being a responsible gun owner is against your rights.
>>
>>31316604
you can not be held liable because someone stole your firearm and killed someone with it. Even in states with requirements to secure

Reporting it stolen is the only way you can ever hope to get it back after the junkie tries to sell it to the local pawn shop
>>
>>31316633
>a knife cant instantly kill someone from 100 yards away,potentially with little noise.

Of course they can, just make a gun that can shoot knives.
>>
>>31316633
What I do with my own tools is my own fucking business. Guns aren't dangerous, irresponsibility is dangerous. Next you're going to throw me this tired liberal line, aren't you?

>>31316651
I'm saying the law of having to report it is wrong. That is what you can get in trouble for. Requirements to secure, btw, also are totally against a person's natural rights to privacy.
>>
File: you said winkwink outloud.jpg (96KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
you said winkwink outloud.jpg
96KB, 1024x768px
>>31316718
That'd be an AOW, not a gun and not a knife. But somehow also both at the same time.

Gun laws make perfect sense.
>>
Yes you should report it but legally required? No.
>>
>>31316733
Ok, I don't disagree with you there
>>
File: Helen-Lovejoy.jpg (7KB, 194x250px) Image search: [Google]
Helen-Lovejoy.jpg
7KB, 194x250px
>>31316733
forgot pic in response to
>>31316633
>>
>>31316633
>What if your Harpoon Cannon was stolen?
> I bet you hadn't thought of that, faggot.
>>
>>31312843
You should report it whether it's required or not.
>>
>>31316831
>You shouldn't use high capacity clipazines whether they're banned or not!
>>
>>31313202
I do the same. It would be awful to have a gun stolen, then a few days later end up in an interrogation room because your gun was found at a must scene.
If I came home and my house was broken into, the first thing I would do is make sure my guns are still secure, and locked up.
>>
>>31312843

fucking no, what I do with my property and what I let people know about my property is my business, not theirs
>>
>>31316854
Arbitrary magazine limits are on par with reporting stolen property?
Help me out here what thought, or lack there of, are you trying convey anon?
>>
>>31316905
In addition, legally required reporting of stolen property is stupid. There's already enough "motivation" to report any stolen property, firearm or not. Hell I'd want my shit back.

I just want to know what this post:
>>31316854
Is getting at.
>>
>>31316905
I'm saying a gun control law is a gun control law. You are legally responsible to let the cops know if your gun is stolen. They "need" to know for "public safety."

Just like some states decide you don't "need" more than 10 rounds for "public safety."
>>
>>31316932
My problem is with the legal requirement, not with the idea of reporting it stolen. Your property your business, that goes both ways. Report it if you want, don't if you don't want.
>>
>>31316854
Shit analogy is shit.

If you think your gun was stolen - report it. Stolen guns form significant part of the "illegal guns criminals get" so it's only logical that you'd rather want to report this shit.

Making you outright criminal for not reporting it is stupid(for a wholly different reasons) but the common sense says that you should call the cops and tell them what's the matter as soon as you can.

I don't know why is it even debatable thing, it applies to many things - if you get your license plates stolen for whatever reason you should also call the cops instantly and tell them the model of the car and route you will take when driving home so they can warn patrols to not bother you.
>>
I think its a reasonable request for a government to ask of its citizens. Under some circumstances it should be acceptable to commit a crime through non-reporting. One situation that immediately comes to mind would involve sighting a kidnapping suspect and/or their alleged victim after being given information that proves to be accurate (appearance, possible location, mode of transportation, etc.) by a uniformed LEO a reasonably short amount of time before crossing paths. This and other "no-brainer" situations might stand as grounds for prosecution, though extenuating circumstances would need to be considered before pressing charges.
>>
>>31316733
>tools

just because gun owners see weapons as tools doesn't mean everyone else does. Guns are generally seen by the public as a device that's sole purpose is to kill something, and that's more or less true.
>>
>>31317132
Doesn't change what they are.
Conservatives generally see gays as degenerate god hating perverts whose sole purpose is to give aids to something. Doesn't mean that they are.

I don't care if soccer moms don't like that my CC piece is printing, they aren't any less safe by their misconceptions. A gun IS a tool, same as the leatherman on my belt that they aren't having a seizure about.
>>
>>31316633
300 foot rule nikka
guns are loud and unreliable, unlike a knife or sword
my katana>>>>>your glock
>>
>>31312843
How the fuck does reporting a gun stolen prevent crimes? All it does is give you a cya in case said gun turns up at a crime scene with your prints on it.

Reporting one stolen is a good idea, but making it a requirement is nothing but another way to fuck over gun owners. Kill yourself.
>>
>>31312843
I would report it stolen anyway, because I fucking want it back. Not that theres a very good chance at all that Ill get it back anyway, seeing as I know horror stories of peoples CC guns used in S.D. situations not being returned, or being returned damaged/broken 5 years later. But I have a much better chance of the police eventually returning it if they find it, albeit maybe damaged, than I have of the dindus breaking back into my house to return it.
>>
>>31312843
Don't listen to anyone here but me I am a lawfag.

State statute can vary; but if you loose/someone steals your firearm or anything relating to your firearm i.e. stock, magazine, etc, report it to your local police department as well the atf. Make sure to provide copies of your sof [sale of firearm] -- and in your affidavit just put theft. DO NOT provide any other details. Only provide your soft, name, and address. Do not provide ssn or anything else. If there is an investigation, make sure to comply but DO NOT let them cross exam you or probe you. If you start to feel like they are trying to gather evidence against you -- tell them you would like to retain an attorney. [Mind you -- you are more likely to win the lotto before you get indicted.]
>>
>>31316718
>a gun that can shoot knives.

>FWOCKA-FWOCKA-FWOCKA-FWOCKA-FWOCKA-FWOCKA-FWOCKA-FWOCKA
>>
>>31316633
>stop trying to act like being a responsible gun owner is against your rights.
Where do you think you are?
>>
>>31312843
Welcome to California.
>>
I'd report it without even worrying about whether doing so or not could get me in "trouble." I'd report it solely on the off chance they recover my gun.

As far as being "required" to report it, I don't believe I am in my state, nor do I think most of my firearms are traceable to me in particular, nor do I think the government should be able to require me to register them for any purpose.
>>
A better idea is to require people who steal guns to turn themselves in for arrest.
Get out of my privacy penumbra.
>>
>>31315557
>No it couldn't
Say your gun shows up in the pawn shop, nothing pops up in the system, Tyrone buys it and robs your local convenience store. On the other hand, if it's reported, it stops the above situation.
>>
>>31316718
There used to be a glitch in Modern Warfare 3 where you can shoot throwing knives from your gun
>>
>>31312843
It'll never happen to me. I lost all of mine in a tragic boating accident.
>>
>>31312843
What if all your firearms were sold in a personal sale? Then they sold them, then they sold them.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.