[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are axes and tomahawks the only good and reasonably priced things

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 15

File: IMG_1586.jpg (73KB, 769x567px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1586.jpg
73KB, 769x567px
Are axes and tomahawks the only good and reasonably priced things Cold Steel makes?

$20 and a new finish and you've got your self a pretty nice looking axe.
>>
>>31309550
Machete and throwing knives are also very good for the price from them

If I were looking for a machete for serious work I would get a tramontina or similar but if you just want a cool looking machete that will hold up to use then they are good

Most of their other stuff is either overpriced or poorly designed though
>>
File: 20160302_164230.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20160302_164230.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
The tomahawks are fun for modding. The machetes are good as well as the Special Forces shovel. Some of their budget knives are also pretty decent.
>>
File: image.jpg (724KB, 2304x1728px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
724KB, 2304x1728px
>>31310094
Fire branding. You're doing it wrong.
>>
>>31309550
I cut down at least 20 trees with one of their tomahawks, good stuff for the price.
>>
>>31309550
A pretty shitty ax. Cheap Chinese steel can't hold an edge
>>
File: surplus machete.jpg (8KB, 355x355px) Image search: [Google]
surplus machete.jpg
8KB, 355x355px
>>31310031
>If I were looking for a machete for serious work I would get a tramontina or similar
Are you out of your mind? Pic related at any surplus store gets you an excellent machete that will last for for at least 5 years of serious use. Great spring steel, easy to work with, cheap enough to beat the fuck out of and lasts forever.

As for a tomahawk, if you're actually going to use it for serious camp/brush work, shell out good money for a forged-head hand axe with great steel that will actually last you your lifetime, your son's and maybe your grandson's like this (mine, gift from dad) and actually take care of it, learn how to re-handle it, etc:
http://www.wetterlings.com/wilderness-hatchet/
Ditto an axe.

If you're just looking for some kind of bullshit tacticool tomahawk crap, you can waste your money anywhere for something you'll never ever use in combat and which will break/suck the first time you try to use it for woodcraft.
>>
>>31309550
Don't buy a coldsteel junk. HB Forge sells reasonably priced hawks/axes that are hand forged in the USA and come with a lifetime warranty.
>>
>>31310452
oh, that pic related is like 20 bucks at literally every surplus store in the US.
>>
>>31309550
Sauce on that knife?
>>
For around $20, CS hawks clean up pretty nicely.
>>
>>31309550

sauce on that bowie op?
>>
>>31310806
>>31310094
>>31309550
I don't get it. What's the point in buying a cast or rolled mild steel piece of shit you'll have to sharpen after 5 minutes of use? Is it a looks thing?
>>
File: images (2).jpg (3KB, 179x282px) Image search: [Google]
images (2).jpg
3KB, 179x282px
>>31309550
Like there was any other choice.
>>
>>31311729
Its 1055 drop forged steel.

And you don't keep an axe that sharp anyway you inbred.
>>
>>31309550
>$20 and a new finish and you've got your self a pretty nice looking axe.
>nice looking
>axe

If aesthetics is what you look for when selecting a tool you should fucking off yourself.

I'm not saying axes can't be pretty, but function beats out form every time.
>>
>>31311974
>Its 1055 drop forged steel.
Right, so can't hold an edge worth a fuck, bound to deform the edge or chip at even light abuse.

>And you don't keep an axe that sharp anyway you inbred.
Look at this idiot.

Tell me, martin mallninja, just how much actual time have you spent innawoods?

Wait. That's a stupid question, and I haven't the time for the inevitable attempt to lie, followed by "proof" pics, followed by the inevitable google image search shaming.

Let's do this instead: post a time stamped image (with enough lighting and focus for detail) of any one of the following:
>your trail pack
>your brush boots
>your long-trek trail boots
>>
>>31311974
>And you don't keep an axe that sharp anyway you inbred.
lol I keep my husqvarna sharp enough to cut paper. Why would you want to chop with a dull axe? That just increases the chance of it glancing. You can keep it sharp without it being too thin to split the wood you know.
>>
>>31310452
>>31310469
Are you fucking retarded? Tramontina isn't some $200 tacticool brand. You know how he said "or similar" yeah the one you posted is similar to the average tramontina which is ALSO Under $20.you can buy a back of them with 2 machetes and 3 other tools for $40. Ffs it is the one in the hardware store 1/3 of the time. Arguing over generic Latin machetes like goddamn salesmen
>>
>>31312361
>generic Latin machetes
>Ontario surplus machete

Ok.
>>
>>31312131
Not him but you sound like a gigantic tool
>>
>>31312571
Uh oh. Someone got their feelings hurt. Strike a little close to the mark?

Less time sperging over tacticool bullshit, and more time outside tubby. I promise you'll be happier for it.

>inb4 muh 4chan muh interwebs cultoor etc
No. This is /k/. And if we're going to be discussing the utility and worthiness of hand tools, someone who says some supremely stupid shit like "don't need to keep your axe sharp, bro" should be fucking called out for not knowing what the fuck they're talking about.
>>
>>31312131
You browse /out/ a lot don't you.
>>
File: mad.jpg (84KB, 594x596px) Image search: [Google]
mad.jpg
84KB, 594x596px
>>31312697
How high is your blood pressure right now?
>>
File: CARL.jpg (22KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
CARL.jpg
22KB, 400x300px
>>31312701
Very rarely. Mostly just /k/. I just see these threads all the time but don't usually post in them, and half the posts are inevitably incredibly cringe-worthy bullshit.

I guess I just got tired of this horseshit. Stop wacking off over crappy bullshit, take it outside and actually use it. You'd get told the exact same thing in a thread about hunting firearms or home defense firearms or ancillary gear.

>>31312722
Pic related.

Closest I have to relate "detached and slightly disgusted amusement".
>>
File: wedont.jpg (14KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
wedont.jpg
14KB, 259x194px
>>31312757
>posting a pic of yourself on 4chan

he he, I'm going to dox the hell out of you now. tough luck pal
>>
>>31312722
He has a point, though. I wouldn't touch CS with a 95 1/2 foot pole made of 4140 steel.

Speaking of which, 4140 is lovely ax steel. Accept no substitutes.
>>
>>31312131
>>31312697
>>31312757
why bother?

just let them play with their mall blades and hope they auto-select for a better gene pool for the rest of us
>>
>>31312794
I know cold steel is shit, I just don't get why he felt the need to sperg out like that. I wasn't even the guy he was arguing with initially
>>
>>31309550
Just my two cents but i own the CS Kukri machete plus and ive had it for just over a year now and i cant say many bad things about it. I like it. I have used it to chop wood, chop ikea dressers down, it has broken chunks of concrete off the parking lot that was my backyard and it still holds up pretty well after i had the edge re-profiled. I was actually impressed enough with the CS kukri i got the outdoorsman lite cuz it was on sale on amazon but i havent really had the time to fuck it up recently.
>>
File: Spacey Unimpressed.gif (891KB, 325x252px) Image search: [Google]
Spacey Unimpressed.gif
891KB, 325x252px
>>31312788
My god, is this your first day on the internet? Welcome, my 12 year old friend. Now get the fuck out.

>>31312837
Pretty simple. People giving advice like >>31309550
>you've got your self a pretty nice looking axe.
>>31310031
>Machete and throwing knives are also very good for the price
>>31310094
>The machetes are good as well as the Special Forces shovel.
>>31310349
>I cut down at least 20 trees with one of their tomahawks,
in all apparent earnestness. To anyone who's ever actually used one of these tools seriously, it's clear they're almost completely worthless. So, they're either completely inexperienced yet feel the need to lead others astray, company shills or just idiots. Whichever it is, giving really shitty advice to people looking to get a decent camp/woodcraft/brush/yardwork tool deserves some flack.
>>
File: images (1).jpg (7KB, 194x206px) Image search: [Google]
images (1).jpg
7KB, 194x206px
>>31312938
>SF shovel
>useless

Get the fuck outta here
>>
File: 1444428030195.jpg (17KB, 500x484px) Image search: [Google]
1444428030195.jpg
17KB, 500x484px
>>31312938
Jesus Christ you are so easy to b8
>>
>>31309550
Everything CS makes is good and reasonably priced, with the exception of a few meme items like the khaos knife.
>>
>>31313048
>only pretending guize!
>>
>>31312938
Your autism is really showing.
>>
>>31310298
Thought was draw knife
Was wrong
it draw file
where'd you get it
>>
File: image.jpg (402KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
402KB, 1024x768px
>>31313887
Made it. Took a file and ground a tang on the other end. Heated and bent both tangs. Fixed handles to both tangs. I use it only for fire branding tomahawks and hand made arrows.
>>
File: IMG_8726_internet_2.jpg (427KB, 1485x1600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8726_internet_2.jpg
427KB, 1485x1600px
>>31311974
>this poor inbred doesn't even know how to keep his axe sharp

Not mine (at work dont have pic) but pic related is what your axe/tomahawk edge should look like if you plan to use it for anything aside from wall hanging.
>>
>>31315883
do the ribs give extra pleasure?
>>
>2016
>still hating lord thompson and cs
Name another manufacturer that makes sturdy as fuck folders larger than 4 inches for less than $150 with arguably the strongest folding lock there is
>>
>>31310468
Thanks for the tip their stuff looks good
>>
>>31312131
>can't hold an edge worth a fuck, bound to deform the edge or chip
now it deforms rolls or chips you retarded inbred cunt? can't you decide if the steel is too soft or too hard or what?
>>
>>31318970
>can't you decide if the steel is too soft or too hard or what?
Depends on how you abuse it. Soft steel can chip on a deflection against harder things, and will most certainly roll all the damn time.

Why don't you go out and hit a nail or embedded barbed wire while working through an old tree or catch a stone on a misjudged swing all the way through that last little bit into dirt. Or work through that one root with it after digging it out because you can't be fucked to drive back to the barn and get the mattock for one damn root. Then come back and tell us what your bit edge looks like. Or work through that one root with it after digging it out because you can't be fucked to drive back to the barn and get the mattock for one damn root.

There's a reason people who use these things every day vastly prefer a hand or power hammer forged piece of good steel with an appropriate heat treatment and a good edge on it.

These are the same people that will stop at flea markets and dig through bins of tool heads looking for hundred year old wedges and axe, mattock, pick, hoe and other tool heads.

We take them home, knock the rust off them, put a new edge and handle on them and use the fuck out of them. Or rework them on the forge, then heat treat them and put them to work. You still get a fair bit of shitty steel, but a lot of those old hand forged tool heads can't be beat today for less than 200 bucks, and you can buy a dozen for fifty bucks.

You want to talk about a tool you can really depend on, rather than an arts and crafts project like >>31310094 >>31310806 >>31315883? You can go out and actually spend less on a piece of old american hickory and axe head than this crap, put a little soul into it, and come out the back end with something that might be in your family for 5 generations.

I still have a couple knives, an axe head and a plowshare which have been in the family since before the Civil War. If I wanted to, I could use them tomorrow.
>>
>>31319166
>Soft steel can chip
it doesn't that's the main characteristic of soft steel it doesn't chip.
>>
>>31319166
>I still have a couple knives, an axe head and a plowshare which have been in the family since before the Civil War. If I wanted to, I could use them tomorrow.
dude wtf just about anything made of steel and not completely rusted will be useable after a hundred years. hell even a cheap crap fiskars axe head long after the plastic rot off will be usable.
>>
>>31319445
>hell even a cheap crap fiskars axe head long after the plastic rot off will be usable.
Don't be fucking obtuse. His obvious point is that crap won't be worth keeping, where there's tons of shit out there being sold for nothing in flea markets etc. which is.
>>
>>31319423
>it doesn't that's the main characteristic of soft steel it doesn't chip.
Anon. Do a little research. There are plenty of steels that will both roll and chip depending on the type of motion or heat treatment. Just one example of a lower grade steel which both chips and rolls no matter which heat treatment is applied:

http://www.bladehq.com/cat--Steel-Types--332
420 Steel - Has about .38% carbon. The low carbon content means that this steel is very soft, and doesn't hold an edge well. It is low quality, low cost material. Many cheap knives tend to be made of this material because of its cost. Blades made from this material need to be sharpened frequently, and often chip.
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.