[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Wikipedia only has japanese sword making,Where can I read about

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 11

File: rapier.jpg (190KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
rapier.jpg
190KB, 768x1024px
Wikipedia only has dedicated and meaningful covering forging of Katanas and other bladed weapons from Japan.

Where can I read about european sword forging? Time scale would be from bronze age to 17th century
>>
>>31307161
Basically because it's so simple, beat iron into the shape of a blade and sharpen it.

European swords are shit tier compared to Japanese ones.
>>
>>31307217
Gj op, you lured a weeb out of his anime binge
>>
>>31307217
Peasantlore.scroll
>>
Guild system bro, trade secret. Apprentice under smith till you can start your own place in a new spot that won't steal business from your teacher.
You won't find a lot of info about it.
>>
bumb
>>
File: Nord Crown - Sablya (krasnaya).jpg (213KB, 1280x853px) Image search: [Google]
Nord Crown - Sablya (krasnaya).jpg
213KB, 1280x853px
bump
>>
>>31307808
This is a blue board anon
>>
>>31307927
have some more
>>
>>31307217

How did you come up with that?
>>
File: 68-serpent-sword-swords.jpg (213KB, 720x360px) Image search: [Google]
68-serpent-sword-swords.jpg
213KB, 720x360px
>>31308011
Gemstones are a fucking cancer.
They turn every sword into one of those wallhangers warcraft players buy for 20 bucks.
>>
Did bar steel kill the sword smith?
>>
>>31307217
>grorious nippon steel
>folded over 1000 times
>filthy gaijin go home
>>
Does this help?
http://www.anvilfire.com/21centbs/armor/
>>
File: shamshir (2).jpg (224KB, 2000x893px) Image search: [Google]
shamshir (2).jpg
224KB, 2000x893px
>>31308071
have some more
>>
>>31307240
Trade Secret.

lol, you can buy now steel that is 1000x times better than anything they could do in the past.
>>
>>31307217
(You)
>>
>>31308180
DELET THIS
>>
>>31308168
>1000x times better than anything they could do in the past.
thats more than a bit of an exaggeration unless you are talking about 'steel' in the very very beginning.
10-20x better is a bit more accurate.
>>
>>31308218
But they used to have to fold them 1000 times to get the same strength as a modern unfolded blade. Thus the modern one is 1000 times better.
>>
>>31308233
Wasn't the folding just to burn off the extra carbon in their shit nip steel so that it wasn't just disguised pig iron?
>>
>>31308272
No, it was to imbue it with the soul of a samurai through dedication to perfection. If something didn't take forever to make it's obviously shit.
>>
File: 800px-Mace_IMG_3823.jpg (26KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
800px-Mace_IMG_3823.jpg
26KB, 800x800px
>>31307161
Sword was not always the best choice.
>>
>>31307161
Serpent in the sword, has a bit about sword making from about 500BC through to 10th century, which as an occasional cutlery maker/blacksmight myself I find that a bit more interesting.

http://www.tf.uni-kiel.de/matwis/amat/def_en/articles/serpent/serpent.html

From the 10th to 17th century European is quite a complicated era for weapons, you see the sword fall out of favour, come back into favour amongst various peoples of the region as there was quite a technology battle going on between armour and weapons. Of particular note, most of the very interesting stuff was mostly coming out of Spain, Portugal France and Italy.
>>
>>31308272
Nah think of it like kneading dough, the more time you fold it, the more equally the carbon is mixed in with the metal. Too much carbon in one spot would cause the blade to break there.
>>
File: V. Naumov - Wolnica.jpg (285KB, 1418x400px) Image search: [Google]
V. Naumov - Wolnica.jpg
285KB, 1418x400px
bumpb
>>
>>31307217
>muh grorious nipponian steeru
>totally not made this way because they're on a shitty little island with no natural resources.
>>
File: gunto.jpg (1MB, 4400x1500px) Image search: [Google]
gunto.jpg
1MB, 4400x1500px
>>31308306
But a sword was always a good choice.
>>
>>31308272
Folding aligns the grain structure of the steel in the longitudinal direction, making it stronger.

>folding just to burn off the extra carbon
I don't even.
>>
>>31308168
Okay anon you're all set to be a master smith i guess. Nevermind the quenching, techniques, design considerations, or pesky finishing methods.
>>
>>31308810
not always against heavily armoured knights.
>>
>>31308168
Yeah it's so easy that you can't figure out how they did it with lesser materials than what you can do with better ones?
Trade secret is trade secret. Maybe start with knives and look up knife making, swords are just big knives.
>>
>>31308949
A sword is always a good enough choice. Sure it's not always the best (and almost never is), but it's always good, that's the point. Besides, many old styles had whole sections on fighting with the sword while in armor, quick obvious example (wiktenauer.com/wiki/Fiore_de%27i_Liberi).

With any sort of weapon, their will always be a situation where a sword would be more adequate, so that it's always good to have one, even if you have a spear, lance or range weapon.
>>
>>31309104
sword was often a side arm while spear was the main weapon.

Sword was also a status symbol (nobles) and the only weapons a proper man could wear in town or even in court.

But yeah, sword wasn't used for so long for nothing. It was a good weapon overall.
>>
>>31307161
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toledo_steel
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damascus_steel
Here you go OP, it's the closest thing I could find on Wikipedia.
>>
>>31308961
>swords are just big knives
how does it feel to be retarded?
>>
>>31308011
>Buy $50 sword
>It's a cap wallhanger
>Buy $8000 sword
>It's a wallhanger because you're too card to cut with it

As gorgeous as his works are, I can't see myself buying a sword from Peter Johnsson because I like to cut things
>>
>>31308887

hey, >>31308272 isnt ENTIRELY wrong.

Japan did have shit tier iron so they had to adapt.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-r4q0reHAC8&list=PLWklwxMTl4swT3eLogiRsZ3Ez_Qu1I1Bi&index=12

this guy gives the best scientific explanation about swords (its generaly about the katana but gives you tons of real information about euro swords), watch all th series of videos, you will learn a lot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-r4q0reHAC8&list=PLWklwxMTl4swT3eLogiRsZ3Ez_Qu1I1Bi&index=12
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6woycxQzA0
>>
>>31307161
Europeans didn't forge them. They bought them on the internet.
>>
File: shigurui-1142380.jpg (188KB, 800x1142px) Image search: [Google]
shigurui-1142380.jpg
188KB, 800x1142px
>>
File: Sachse - Damascus Steel 01.jpg (345KB, 1402x1277px) Image search: [Google]
Sachse - Damascus Steel 01.jpg
345KB, 1402x1277px
The forging will be much the same.

Primarily I'll recommend Alan William's "The Sword and the Crucible", for an overview of the metallurgy of European blades. Maybe not so much directly about forging techniques, but the metallurgy is rather a direct result of those, as well as the main evidence we have for what techniques were used.

Sache, "Damascus Steel" can give you some insight into late-period pattern welding in Europe, though he's a bit fond of the word "damascus" for my taste.

>>31308272
Folding was commonly used in Europe too.

It helps beat out inclusions, crushes what remains of them to less dangerous geometries, seals up voids, and homogenises the chemical composition.

Most of these effects are simply due to extensive hot working, so in many ways we still do it. It's just that we skip the actual folds, and run a hot strip mill instead.

As with all hot forging of steel with a decent carbon content, it will burn off carbon. Whether that's intentional or an unwanted side effect depend son what you're doing, in the case of Japanese blade making it's the latter. The tatara process they appears to have preferred for making metal out of ore did not produce any pig iron.

>>31308887
>>folding just to burn off the extra carbon
>I don't even.
It's how we get wrought iron.

>>31308887
Given that we're re-writing the grain structure at least once after forging (austenisation) and quite possibly a few times during forging (hitting the austenite range) I wonder how much of that could really stick around in the finished blade.

>>31310667
There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with their iron, and they didn't use any special techniques really either.
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.