[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /k/ think of one handed axes? Viable weapon? Is it

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

File: viking-axe-hand-made.jpg (227KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
viking-axe-hand-made.jpg
227KB, 720x480px
What does /k/ think of one handed axes? Viable weapon? Is it shit?

tl;dr: Axe thread
>>
Viable weapon. But it has its limitations because you need some armspace to swing it. Less useful if you're pinned to the ground or a wall.
>>
>>31223059
Agreed, but this can be mitigated with small spikes on the back and top. Plus, i just generally love the aesthetic.
>>
>>31223032

I wouldn't want to have one swung at me and I wouldn't want one to be the only thing between my life and my death.
>>
>>31223032
Quite a fast weapon, hits very hard but you do need a lot of skill to use one well as all your defence is basically- hit anyone who comes into strike range.
>>
It's a shit weapon. We have guns now.
>>
>>31223179
This. It is a tool. Better than nothing in a fight, but even if I had a rifle I'd still want the axe because a rifle can't split fire wood.
>>
>>31223196
>he doesnt split fire wood with his rifle
>>
There are other things I may choose first but I am pretty sure most people would have a hard time fucking up someone's day with an ax
>>
File: axe-gun.jpg (39KB, 850x330px) Image search: [Google]
axe-gun.jpg
39KB, 850x330px
>>31223196

Compromise?
>>
>>31223032
It makes sense to keep some kind of melee weapon. I personally would prefer a knife to an ax.
>>
>>31223209
Friday I was hunting in my old spot which had a thorny treebush over grow from last year blocking my little ridge I stand on over looking two small valleys.

I had my hunting shotgun and a hand axe.

Long story short, I cut the treebush down with the shotgun...
>>
If you are going to have only one historical weapon, I think having it be apart of your heritage might give it more value to you.

As far as axes are concerned, its hard to get more 'murica' than a tomahawk. You don't even have to be a indian, though that's bonus points in tomahawkery.

Not that it really matters, on the other hand.
>>
>>31223059
The less room you have to swing, the closer to the head your hand should be. If somebody's on top of you, you should practically be holding the head in your hand and using it like a sharp rock.
>>
>>31223032
You hit somebody with it, it gonna hurt
>>
>>31223622
How about some US sabers from the civil war? I'd rather have a decent quality one than a tomahawk
>>
File: 0987 - ncb0pLO.png (58KB, 647x474px) Image search: [Google]
0987 - ncb0pLO.png
58KB, 647x474px
>>31223714

>sharp rock

and now theres 18 inches of handle for him to grab and leverage over your sharp rock fighting stance.
>>
>>31223032
I'd take an axe to a knife fight. Not to a sword fight though. Wood/Polymer handle for blocking and no hand guard means any defense you pose won't last.
>>
>>31223032
it's like a sword, but you can't stab with it, there is only one section with a cutting edge , it has no hand guard, and is easilt grabbed or trapped

upsides: more force applied to a smaller area, cheap

axes become more viable as two handed weapons, where you start to use them like pole-arms, for levering, for gaining distance etc
because swords quickly get heavy as the length increases, but axes with wooden/reinforced shafts stay light
>>
>>31224765
>more force applied to a smaller area,

Yeah, because it sure as hell won't be the shape of the target limiting the amount of edge in contact, nope, ain't happening.

Then again, if you end up doing a slicing cut, you rather want to maximise the edge contact with the target.
>>
>>31224791
I don't understand what you are trying to say
>>
>>31223858

No wrong answers mate.
>>
>>31224929
An axe or a sword doesn't apply the impact along all of its edge, it only applies it where edge and target touch. Unless the sword has gotten more edge into contact than the entire axe edge, then it isn't applying the impact to a greater area. And for a decent axe edge, there ain't that many reasonable ways to whack a resisting human that gets all that much edge into contact.
>>
File: 138273513349.jpg (117KB, 667x862px) Image search: [Google]
138273513349.jpg
117KB, 667x862px
>>31223032
A good weapon and a great tool, if you edge alignment is true you will hack into joints and skulls with ease.
Though I would use the hammer side, should I need to fight for my life. Less chance to glance and bounce off, and twist my wrist in the process.

Spears are still top tier though.
>>
Historically, one-handed axes were only ever used in combat when paired with a large shield.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.