[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Arguments for traditional weapons in hunting. >It relies

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 108
Thread images: 9

File: UC2961.jpg (73KB, 709x1500px) Image search: [Google]
UC2961.jpg
73KB, 709x1500px
Arguments for traditional weapons in hunting.
>It relies far more on the skill of the wielder
>The force used to kill is generated by the body rather than by stored chemicals.
>Element of risk involved getting within range of animal's natural defenses

Arguments against?
>>
Firearms exist.
>>
>>31216817
/thread
>>
>>31216808
>Arguments against?

>Retards will get themselves killed by getting gored
>Inefficient, harder to get a kill
>Short range
>Guns are a thing

There is a reason that armies don't use spears anymore
>>
>>31216817
I've hunted with firearms, and with a traditional bow.
There is a lot more sport to hunting with a bow.
>>
>>31216834
good. Natral selection needs another boost

>Inefficient, harder to get a kill
Its called giving your prey a sporting chance because if you don't get your meal you can just buy one on the way home

>Short range
See above comment

>Guns are a thing
You're right, I should use a gun if I box someone

>Armies don't use spears
I'm sorry, are boar and deer invading our lands? no? okay then you aren't a soldier when hunting them. While being a soldier you have every right to use every weapon possible, when sport hunting you should be sporting.
>>
>>31216817
Tanks exist, should I go hunting in a tank?
>>
Tools and intergenerational knowledge are products of traits that humans gained through environmental pressures. They are as innate to humans as good hearing and smell are innate to prey animals.
>>
>>31216878
Actual good argument
I'd like to counter that our collected knowledge, tools and population has become so great that animals and nature in general are no longer suitable challenges.

So we for entertainment bring ourselves back down to their level for enjoyment.Just like spearfishing. Sure we could just use a sonar, find the fish, and drop depth charges from the safety of our boat while we watch tv shows and get drunk, but its just not as fun or braggable.
>>
>>31216871

If tanks were readily available, quick and easy to become adept with, and would not completely destroy the deer/boar in question, yes.
>>
>>31216854
This is the most autistic thing ive read all week
>>
>>31216854
If by natural selection you mean giving up the evolved advantage of being able to use tools, then by all means go monster hunting with your Katana folded ten thousand times.
>>
>>31216808
>>The force used to kill is generated by the body rather than by stored chemicals.
And the body uses chemicals to power itself. Fucking chemicals, they're everywhere!
>>
>>31216854
we have plenty natural selection as is
>>
File: boar-hunting-with-a-spear.jpg (110KB, 614x424px) Image search: [Google]
boar-hunting-with-a-spear.jpg
110KB, 614x424px
>>31217069
>Monster hunting
I'd hardly call a boar a monster, and katanas would be a shit weapon to hunt with.

>Katana folded ten thousand times
Pattern welding is by far a superior forging method, Japanese smiths only did that because they had shit ore and inferior techniques that were centuries behind Europe at the time. Celts had better iron shaping techniques.
>>
>>31217076
>we have plenty natural selection as is
Many would dispute that point.
We do everything we can in western culture to make sure everyone makes it to the finish line. We are actively fighting against natural selection.
My hope is that genetic engineering can fix this.
>>
>>31217010
>YOU ARE NOT HAVING FUN CORRECTLY
Gee did you have a hard time trying to fit in school or something?
>>
>>31216871
Sure

We have a large wild boar infestation in East Texas. Yes, enough to warrant a tank.

Yesterday someone posted that infertile old rhinos go and rape females to death before they keel over. A tank would be justified there as well.

Also, while not exactly hunting, dead beached whales are usually cleared with dynamite, but can also be cleared using a tank also.
>>
>>31217137
Okay rhinos maybe wouldn't warrant a tank, but I would love to see someone hunt rhinos with a .50BMG.

Or a pack of dudes with assault rifles, those things are beasts.
>>
>>31217137
>East Texas
>Wild boar problem
>Boars not instantly beaten back the second hunting season is introduced
You guys are not doing Texas right.
>>
>>31217115
There's no escaping natural selection of you include humans as being part of nature. We're just self aware.
>>
>>31216808
>Arguments against?

more dangerous
higher risk of an inhumane kill
>>
>>31217104
The post you replied to was joking about weaboo fiction where using a Katana is the best thing ever, blahblahblah skill this honor that slicing through armor and shit, while it really is an inferior tool

Just like you implying we should go back to the stone age for MUH CHALLENGE
>>
>>31217220
Natural selection involves the environment weeding out the less adapted
We control the environment
>>
Why not do it with a wooden club? It what about your bare hands?
>>
>>31217250
>More dangerous
Keep a sidearm on you maybe?

>higher risk of an inhumane kill
Finally a point I can agree with. Maybe keep a sidearm on you to finish it off quickly
>>
>>31216808
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKI1xmtf5Ck&feature=youtu.be&t=55
>>
>>31217305
>Why not do it with a wooden club? It what about your bare hands?
Equally cool, if someone started hunting deer with their bare hands I'd be impressed
>>
>>31217326
Dudes got a quick draw in close quarters, nice
>>
>>31217296
If we control the environment then the environment still exists and still exerts selective pressure. That's all you need for natural selection.

Your argument is based on the assumption that human influence is no longer part of the natural world. I'm not saying that you're necessarily wrong, it's just a different perspective from mine.
>>
>>31217326
Actually lol'd when the spear bounced off its horns
>>
File: 1437100323296.jpg (921KB, 1333x2000px) Image search: [Google]
1437100323296.jpg
921KB, 1333x2000px
>all these firearmcucks who think hunting with a firearm is easy

kek
You don't have skill unless you hunt with a traditional bow or something more primitive than that. It takes experience, something most of the niggers on /k/ don't have.
>>
>>31217326
See this argument
>>31217317
If not for his sidearm, that dude would be dead. Gored and trampled to death by a 1200lb pissed off grass eater.

So now he can try again, but still have his gun on him just in case he fucks up again. At the very least he's a good shot with his hand cannon.
>>
>>31216854
>Its called giving your prey a sporting chance because if you don't get your meal you can just buy one on the way home
It's called stabbing a deer before it runs away, and losing track of it without getting a humane kill
>>
>>31217394
So you track it, they leave blood and a trail, that and Deer can't run very far after they have been stabbed.
>>
>>31216854

>>Armies don't use spears
>I'm sorry, are boar and deer invading our lands? no?

...uh, actually, yes.
Do you want predators roaming around every forest, possibly killing you every time you leave the comfort of a city for a spirit walk or whatever the fuck you idiots call it? No?

Great. Then if wolves and shit aren't suppressing the population of first-level consumers (herbivores etc.) then it has to be humans. If you don't suppress their population, they eat all the vegetation and the whole ecosystem suffers.
>>
>>31217394
This confirmed.
I went boar hunting one time, brought my rusty nugget, shot a 220lb boar over the weekend.

Some other guy brought a compound bow with those 4 sided broadheads. He shot a boar in the back, and it ran. After a while the fat sealed up the wound and it stopped bleeding. Ran into a sawgrass field and disappeared, we're all looking at bowfag telling him to go in there and finish his fucking game. He did not.
>>
>>31217356
Not sure if troll or elitist
That's like saying everyone is a retarded piece of shit for not knowing how to forge steel, brew wine, fix clocks, or to field strip an animal.
It's 2000 plus 16 already.
>>
>>31216854
>animals deserve honor and firearms is not honor
So did you give all the livestock animals that were slaughtered in order to feed and grow you any honor and respect? Did you do the same to all the animals that were displaced from their homes in order to produce the goods you consume?
And now you want to make more animals needlessly suffer a slower death because you want to feel good about yourself.

What a champ.
>>
>>31217415
>if wolves and shit aren't suppressing the population of first-level consumers (herbivores etc.) then it has to be humans. If you don't suppress their population, they eat all the vegetation and the whole ecosystem suffers.
Yes, but its primarily done for fun rather than a sense of civic duty. So it should be a bit more sporting, hence why most people when they do use guns use bolt actions despite having access to better weapons.
>>
>>31217458
You say 'sporting,' I hear 'error prone and inhumane.'
>>
>>31217457
>So did you give all the livestock animals that were slaughtered in order to feed and grow
Thats primarily for food, not for sport
of course you should eat any animal that you kill and leave the rest for the scavengers.
>>
>>31216871
They suck up gas, require tons of maintaince to upkeep, are loud, requires a trained crew, and not as maneuverable in wood area without causing a large ruckus.

Impractical for the task at hand.
>>
>>31217488
>those animals don't count, but seriously guys, I want to feed my own ego by most likely fucking it up and not humanely kill an animal while justifying it in some way.
>>
>>31217455
i am an elitist. anyone who cannot learn to live off the land in less than two months isn't held to a high regard in my opinion. if you can't hunt with a bow then you're not a hunter.
>>
>>31217597
You sound like a larping neckbeard vikingaboo who lives in a basement, spending their days hoarding bushcraft infographics and batoning knives.
>>
>>31217597
Do you make your own bow and arrows, faggot?
>>
File: 000000000000000.png (79KB, 900x688px) Image search: [Google]
000000000000000.png
79KB, 900x688px
>>31217646
no. I actually go outside. Ted Kaczynski is one of my inspirations. plenty of outdoors experience mate, i'll survive unlike you larping faggot neckbeards whose ammo is going to run out a week during the SHTF.
>>
>>31217597
>my opinion
Nobody cares you egoistic fuck
>>
>>31217403
>deer can't run very far after being stabbed
Wanna know how I know you've never, ever hunted deer?
>>
>>31217715
If you hit it somewhere important it won't get more than half a mile
>>
>>31217685
relax gunfag
>>
>>31217185
You don't understand the scale of the issue.
>>
>>31217727
Yup, meanwhile, with a gun:

>heart and lungs, usually less than 100 feet
>brain stem, 0 feet. (only attempt if you can actually hit the broad side of a barn, it's a two inch target. also, no adrenaline ends up in the meat, making it much much more delicious.)
>>
>>31216808
Those are all arguments against it. Why would you risk yourself and exert far more energy when you could easily use a gun in the current year? Maybe for fun, but certainly not in any serious hunting setting.
>>
>>31217762
The joke is that there is an armed gunman behind every rock in Texas
>>
>>31216837
>There is a lot more sport to hunting with a bow.
if your hunting for sport you are the problem.
>Shooting animals i dont intenend to eat has become too easy. so now you have to get hand on and personal as you savagely kill an animal you dont intend to eat.

Eat shit and die.
>>
>>31217814
My joke is that that's not enough.
>>
>>31217104
whats the point of wearing camo if u intend to make a boar charge u?
>seriously what a dipshit
>>
>>31217811
>when you could easily use a gun
>Why lift weights when you could use a forklift
>Why fuck a woman when you could just buy her a vibrator or hire a gigolo
>Why jog when you could so easily use a segway or oxboard
the dying gasp of the western man being choked by civilization instead of using it to his advantage
>>
>>31217817
>you dont intend to eat.
Excuse yourself
I eat everything I hunt. I clean it where I shoot it, take the meat and leave the organs for the coyotes
>>
>>31217831
>whats the point of wearing camo
Getting close enough to enrage the boar
They aren't skittish creatures, but they will tend to move away from a brightly colored 200lb ape tromping through the forest
>>
>>31217844
We don't need to hunt at all in most ares in the US though. So 99% of the time it will be for fun. Therefore, I can see why you would choose to give yourself a challenge and hunt with a spear. But in a situation of survival, if you have both a spear and a gun, you're a fucking retard if you don't choose the gun.
>>
>>31217597
You know what they say about opinions, William Tell?
>>
>>31217872
>reasonable anon strikes again
How about having a high powered side arm and only using it as a backup?
>>
>>31217137
Tank canister shot boar hunting when?
>>
>>31217185
>Boars not instantly beaten back the second hunting season is introduced
Wild boars do not have a hunting season. Its allowed year round because they are invasive pests.
>>
>>31216808
>It relies far more on the skill of the wielder
That's an argument against it, not for it
>The force used to kill is generated by the body rather than by stored chemicals.
The force generated by your body is powered by stored chemicals
>Element of risk involved getting with
in range of animal's natural defenses
That's an argument against it, not for it

>Its called giving your prey a sporting chance
And for anyone that hunts for "sport", they can all go follow your advice and get killed. Life and death are serious things, not a fucking game.
>>
Someone report this thread to the FBI already
>I want to personally feel the animal die painfully before eating it
>I don't need to but really want to.
>I am normal, everyone else is wrong.
It's like he's from a horror movie.
>>
>>31217890
As to what this anon said, boars also breed incredibly fast, so much so that even Texans cannot kill enough of them. Seriously, I'm pretty sure there are businesses in Texas that do the whole "Huey door gunner" thing and let you hunt wild boar from a chopper with an automatic weapon.
>>
>>31217893
>Life and death are serious things, not a fucking game.
Everyone dies anon.
>>
>>31217886
Maybe, but that would still only work against certain types of prey. For instance, if you were hunting deer I don't think you could ever hope to get close enough to kill one with a spear, and a sidearm does not have reliable accuracy at range. But if you're hunting boars, bears, or any other close range animal a spear and a sidearm could be effective. That's like a very special situation though.
>>
>>31217890
Same here in Florida
>>
>>31217346
>Your argument is based on the assumption that human influence is no longer part of the natural world.
>I'm not saying that you're necessarily wrong
Well you should have, because he is dead wrong.
>>
>>31217911
Buddy with a rifle in case you fuck up your spear throw?
>>
>>31217907
When people say "why do you NEED an automatic/high-capacity weapon?", wild boars is my go-to answer.

Its like a god damn warzone. I've seen videos where a boar takes 5+ rounds of .223 (I would personally never hunt boars with .223, but to each his own), and the guy has to pull out his sidearm (in this case it was a .45 1911) to kill it right as it reaches him.
>>
>>31217115
>implying selection pressures disappeared instead of changing
Ah, the old "natural selection ended with the birth of civilization" meme. Kill yourself.
>>
>>31217941
>Hunting boar with a .223
it takes a special kind of stupid to do that.
I've seen .556 rounds bounce off of a boar's skull at the right angle
>>
Bows are spears don't kill quickly enough to be humane.
>>
>>31217980
>it takes a special kind of stupid to do that.
>I've seen .556 rounds bounce off of a boar's skull at the right angle

I really want to take my PTR on a boar hunt. 308/7.62x51 seems like it would be pretty damn nice for killing them. Its like the African bushwars but with hogs.
>>
>>31217326
lol is that the fuckin cold steel guy
>>
File: 1472945222401.gif (321KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1472945222401.gif
321KB, 500x375px
congrats op you win most autistic thread
>>
I swear if op had shityy grammar and the tone of tommy I would have declared this thread as bait instead of replying like a retard.
>>
>>31217597
What if I hunt with both?
>>
>>31217922
I considered it, but I didn't want to trigger someone's autism and ruin what had been a not completely shit thread.

But now "unabomber is my hero" bowhunter fag is here, so I guess that was in vain.
>>
>>31217672
why don't u post a pic of urself faggot
>>
>>31217907
>If it runs its a hog
>If it stands still it's a well disciplined hog
>>
>>31216808
>>The force used to kill is generated by the body rather than by stored chemicals.

So I take it you don't know literally anything about biology.
>>
does anyone take the handles off their Becker knives and use as a spear?
>>
>>31216808
Dangerous to the hunter.
Inefficient means causes undue suffering to the animal.
Badly injured animals often become pest animals, most importantly the carnivores eating livestock and people.
Said pest animals teach their offspring to be pest animals.
Having people at spear range and firearm range during the same hunting season is a bad idea.
>>
>>31217115
>We are actively fighting against natural selection.
So is every other species. That's the purpose of education. Learning how not to fuck up.
>>
>>31217928
Or he just uses his rifle you retard.
>>
File: 1407977531845.jpg (366KB, 840x993px) Image search: [Google]
1407977531845.jpg
366KB, 840x993px
>>31216808
nigga the first and third are arguments AGAINST traditional weapons in hunting

and the second is an inane observation

by your logic we should all be goin around in foot-powered flinstones cars

also you need to be 18+ to post here
>>
I would want bigger lugs than that if I had to hunt boar with a boar spear desu senpai
>>
File: bear spear.png (17KB, 731x738px) Image search: [Google]
bear spear.png
17KB, 731x738px
why not both
>>
Come down to Australia, my mates and I go boar hunting. We send the dogs to flush them out and then launch ourselves into the side of them as they rush past.

The trick is to kill it with one thrust but they are mean mother fuckers.
>>
>>31217762
The scale of the issue would be solved if every man had a medium machinegun.
>>
>>31216834
Sounds to me like you don't know how to hunt with a spear
>https://youtu.be/yJGd7G2wYuU
>>
>>31217911
>I don't think you could ever hope to get close enough to kill one with a spear
You gotta climb the trees and aim for the spine son. Either way, if you can get the heart, neck or head, you are good to go
>>
>>31216808
want to earn respect and a bear pelt? kill it unarmed. some nigger bited one to death and survived to tell the tale
>>
>>31216808
>We should have to use our bare hands

>Firearms are unsportmanlike and too easy, use a bow

>Bows are too easy and unsportmanlike, use a club

>Clubs are too easy and unsportmanlike, use a rock

>Rocks are cheating, use your barehands

Yknow why we dont gave claws sharp teeth or ridiculous lionlike strength or reflexes? Because we were endowed with the gift of sentience and immemse intelligence. Why the fuck would you limit yourself, use what God gave you just as the lions and wolves use theirs....
>>
>>31217854
how noble.
>my hunting for sport idiot neighbor does not. he keeps a freezer full of squirrel that he legally has to pretend he might eat. He has admitted to me he thinks squirrel tastes bad. Dude has no business hunting at all. Thats basically how i see bow-hunters. its fucked up thrill seeking.

So pardon me if I think anyone who talks about how sporting part of their hunt is a fucking retard.

their is nothing sporting about using a high power rifle to stalk and kill an animal, the animal has literally no chance, it doesnt know its being stalked from 1000 yards. and their is no sport to shooting it with said high power rifle. Its so fucking easy I never understood why people get off on it.
>sure if u eat ur deer or you just shot I'm fine with that. Hunting for food is great, especially in places where its necessary.... like alaska.

but the minute you say you want a sportier hunt I lose all respect for you. Your basically just saying you want a more savage release than just killing, you need it to be a savage old school kill, kuz ur super cool like that...
>>
>>31221410
>the animal has no chance

What? thats not how or why you hunt

Do lions tear out their teeth and claws to make it more fair for the antelope?

Jesus christ people how arbitrary and ridiculous
>>
Sure, because a fucking bear is going to refrain from using its claws and teeth on me in the interest of being "fair".

Solid 9/10 bait or immense retard, I can't tell.
>>
It's not possible to argue with these people.

Show em a video of a clean kill with a gun and they'll say "ugh the animal didn't even have a chance, use a bow"

Show em a bow video where the animal thrashes around before dieing slowly "Ugh at least use a spear so you actually get near the thing"

Show em a spear video of a guy throwing the spear at an animal and brutally ripping a chunk out of its flank as it dies horribly and painfully "ugh real men use fists"

Show a guy slowly cholk hold a deer in the mud while biting into its neck and watching the life slowly escape out of its eyes "alright that's pretty manly, but I don't like how it's so painful for the poor animal"
>>
>>31216808
>these are the same people who argue that real men use their fists and swords are manlier to use than guns
>>
>>31216808
>Arguments against
takes longer to stalk the pigs
makes it too hard to get a clean kill
high chance of stabbing your own dogs
>>
>>31216808

Because I just want to eat the fucker. Yeah, I could spear it to death or chop it up, but mainly I'm gonna have an easier time putting a projectile through the CNS or in the boiler room.

Hunting isn't made for the animal's convenience but this certainly does provide for theirs and mine.

It's already going to have a terrible day, I'd rather its last moments be of curiosity, a little anxiety and 30 seconds of trauma than sheer terror, exhaustion and true exsanguination.

There's some stuff I'll hunt with alternative weapons, but mainly on the grounds of it being a quick kill either way (ie small animals for whom trauma of any kind is rapidly fatal).

Bowhunting is fun, but I'll opt for a gun most of the time.
Thread posts: 108
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.