[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Let's say you're in a total clusterfuck haywire SHTF

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: 1472755227624.jpg (127KB, 885x1181px) Image search: [Google]
1472755227624.jpg
127KB, 885x1181px
Let's say you're in a total clusterfuck haywire SHTF situation.
and you got shot in your precious limbs or in the abdomen. And you won't be going to any hospital anytime soon.

what would be the things that you will do to ensure your survival?

how do you cut the bleedings? can you apply your own sutures? how will you get the bullet out later? how do you avoid trauma?
>>
>>31206436
Hopefully kill the other motherfucker, then light a cigarette and die.

Probably just die tbhpham
>>
>>31206798
That's it? You plan on dying when shit hits the fan?
>>
>>31206914
If you just got seriously shot in your limb, you're going to tourniquet it and either fix it or hack it off later. If you just got shot in the gut, you're going to sit there crying like a bitch until you die.
>>
>>31206914
The plan is to last at least a month. And make that month the fan impact of my dreams.

But because you asked
>Abdomen would probably be a death sentence
>I'd do everything in my power to stop the bleeding, but if I start going septic I'd probably kill myself

As for limbs
>hope you battle buddy can hunt
>apply loads of pressure
>wait it out
>keep bullet in unless it is severely fragmented or mushroomed in a sharp way
>don't bother with the sutures just keep it taped up or glued(always carry crazy glue)

But probably just die.
>>
>>31206914
basically this >>31206938
There are so few people who are well-enough trained to stabilize someone else with a bullet wound, let alone themselves. The most someone could try to do is put pressure on/stop the bleeding, maybe tourniquet and get away with a lost limb but if even the average /k/ommando or prepared person is shot in the gut, chances are they won't be able to perform some Maturin-level badassery and will instead just bleed out and die. First-aid/medical is, IMO, one of the most overlooked skills by anyone paranoid enough for SHTF/prepping.
>>
>>31207005
You could probably stop a gut shot from bleeding out with some stuff. In the next few days though the infection will always kill you. Gut shot with no doctor will get infected and you will die.
>>
>>31207547
Pretty much any deep wound whether cut or puncture is a death sentence. The risk of infection is super high. Amputation is a pipe dream. It might buy you a day or two assuming you don't bleed out. However, cauterizing a wound is an option. It's painful, but could work. Maybe not for a gunshot, though.
>>
>>31207005
Pretty much this. Speaking as an EMT, assuming the gut shot perforated pretty much anything, all I could do without an operating theater is make you more comfortable as you die. Hell, even with one it would be meatball surgery at its roughest. I could probably save a limb so long as no major blood vessels were hit and the bone wasn't shattered but that limb has a high chance of never being 100% again even in a best case scenario. In real life there are no "just flesh wounds."
>>
>>31206436
>The following is a brief summary of Colonel Henry's medical advice for nuclear war survivors living under primitive conditions and unable to get the help of a doctor or effective medicines.33 (Additional advice, enclosed in brackets, is from a medical publication.34)

° Wounds: Apply only pressure dressings to stop bleeding unless an artery has been cut, as by a blast- hurled piece of glass. If blood is spurting from a wound, apply both a pressure dressing and a windlass-type tourniquet. Loosen the tourniquet pressure about every 15 minutes, to allow enough blood to reach the flesh beyond the tourniquet and keep it alive. There is a fair chance that clotting under the pressure dressing will stop blood loss before it becomes fatal.

° Infected wounds: Do not change dressings frequently. The formation of white pus shows that white corpuscles are mobilizing to combat the infection. In World War I, wounded soldiers in hospitals suffered agonies having their wounds cleaned and dressed frequently: many died as a result of such harmful care. In contrast, before antibiotics became available late in World War II, casts and dressings on infected wounds sometimes were not changed for weeks. (The author saw this treatment in China and India and smelled the stench resulting from such "benign neglect" of American soldiers' wounds--- neglect that helped save limbs and lives.)

Book Page: 109

° Pieces of glass deeply embedded in flesh: Do not probe with tweezers or a knife in an attempt to extract them. Most glass will come out when the wounds discharge pus.
>>
>>31209885
° Burns: Do not apply grease, oil or any other medicine to the burned area. Cover the area securely with a clean, dry dressing or folded cloth. Do not change the dressing frequently. [For most burns, the bandage need not be removed until the tenth to fourteenth day. Give plenty of slightly salted water: about 1 teaspoon (4.5 gm) of salt per quart (or liter), preferably chilled, in amounts of 1 to 3 liters daily. 4]

° Broken bones: Apply simple splints to keep the bones from moving. Do not worry about deformities: most can be corrected later by a doctor. Do not attempt traction setting of broken bones.

° Shock: Keep the victim warm. Place blankets or other insulation material under him. Do not cover him with so many blankets that he sweats and suffers harmful fluid losses. Give him plenty of slightly salted water [about a teaspoon of salt in a liter (or quart) of water].

replace glass with bullets and do this.
>>
>>31206436
you pull out your pistol and suckstart it. don't do like Sobel and press it to your temple, you'll just end up blind.
>>
>>31206436

Docfag here

Others have covered limbs well here.

As for abdomen it's possible but really unlikely that someone skilled could do an exlap on themselves. It really depends where they got shot, how bad the wound is. I don't know how one could stop a bleeding liver without cautery. If intestine got ripped hard it would be very difficult to suture closed and you'd have to remove that section which involves tracing it's blood supply and skillfully reconnecting the two ends without proper visualization. It's very very unlikely most people could do this even skilled surgeons. This isn't even considering passing out from the pain, and surviving the guaranteed infection that would follow.
>>
>>31209885
>>31209912
That's pretty informative. Thanks anon.
>>
>>31207005
Maybe the best example is No Country for Old Men, two characters are wounded by shot in non-vital areas and are able to take care of themselves. One is shot in the liver with a bullet and nearly dies and required medical resuscitation. Pretty much anything going past your skin, let alone abnonal or chest cavity, is fatal without advanced medical treatment.
>>
File: 1472943227184.gif (1MB, 500x282px) Image search: [Google]
1472943227184.gif
1MB, 500x282px
I dunno, I'd probably try removing the bullet if its in my limb and not too deep/mushroomed and then apply antiseptic and pack it up. I'd probably fuck up and die but hey.
If it's in my gut I'd probably just tell pupper to be brave for me as i die.
>>
>>31212298
What I meant by going past skin (not into body cavity) was
>Operating innawoods
>Start daydreaming of easier bygone days of grocery stores and shit posting
>Slip on wet rock, fall, cut the fuck out of your arm
>blood spurts, probably knicked a vessel
>oh fuck
>apply pressure
>wrap belt above wound
>it hurts, you're light headed
>eventually bleeding stops
>begin to think you will make it
>succumb to sepsis 5 days later after days spent in feverish delirium shitting yourself.
We go to pretty big lengths to not die all the time
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.