[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what's the best way to hold a shotgun in order to reduce

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (223KB, 1500x1433px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
223KB, 1500x1433px
what's the best way to hold a shotgun in order to reduce shoulder/chest pain from recoil?

pic unrelated
>kinda
>>
>>31201704
>shoulder pocket
>make sure you have a working recoil pad

OR

>wear kevlar vest
>hold shotgun over titty
>what recoil?
>>
>>31201704
>Inb4 quit being a bitch

I too, would like to know. I shot a 12 gauge for the first time a while back. I think it was something I picked up for turkey hunting a few months ago, I only shot 4 shells and my shoulder was sore for 2 days. I'm pretty sure turkey load isn't supposed to kick very much.

I had the butt firmly pressed against my shoulder and that shit sucked. I'm not a very big guy, but I hear about people shooting 12 gauges for fun, I wouldn't be able to do that shit.
>>
>>31201728
>I'm pretty sure turkey load isn't supposed to kick very much.
Turkey loads are actually heavy loads. Mother nature was on the rag when designing turkeys and decided that they should be resistant to gunfire.
>>
>>31201728
2-¾", 3", or 3-½"? Shot size, weight, and velocity?

I've never had a problem with 3" #4 birdshot.
>>
>>31201757
Oh, I just assumed it was supposed to be light like birds got loads.

>>31201773
I wanna say 2-¾", 1¾ oz, #4 shot? That sounds about right.

I actually forgot to mention that a little while after that, I shot a buddy's 12 gauge with unknown shells, and it wasn't nearly as bad. I rapid fired 6 shells I think and I was only sore for about an hour. I forgot about that, I would assume it was because of the shells and not where I placed the butt.
>>
>>31201773
>>31201821
Also, i think it was 1300 fps, forgot that bit.
>>
Dove loads are comfortable to shoot. Look for #7.5 or 8.
Target loads are the same thing
>>
>>31201821
Fairly light loads overall, then. If you just want to get used to proper technique, I'd say get ~100 dove loads and ~20 heavier loads (turkey, buck, magnum buck, and slug). Try and make them of similar/identical appearance and dump them/mix them together in a 50 cal can. If you're practicing reloading too, then put the ammo into your pocket/belt/bandolier/vest/pouch/whatever. Pickup shells, load blindly, and shoot. Most of the rounds will be soft but you'll run across heavier loads. Once you get your technique down, then you can shoot most loads without bruising.
>>
>>31202150
It'll be a few months before I buy a shotgun, but I'll be sure to try that once I get one. I also wanna pick up a 45-70 once I start reloading, so that'll be something cool to experiment with. Hopefully I'll be a bit better at dealing with heavier recoil once I get my hands on one of those.
>>
>>31201704
>Hold pretty much like you would a rifle
>Make sure it's not braced against your collar bone or anything
>Stop being a little bitch

Or you could get a pad for it. Just make sure you don't get a temporary form of PTSD from firing such a terrifying weapon.
>>
/k/, I never get shoulder pain from shooting a shotgun, however it always fucks my cheeks up heavily
What am I doing wrong?
>>
File: AOTDS.jpg (791KB, 800x1082px) Image search: [Google]
AOTDS.jpg
791KB, 800x1082px
>>31201704
>Firing hand pulls the shotgun into your shoulder to keep it seated there
>pump/supporting hand puts forward pressure on the gun to resist recoil

IDGAF, you should watch pic related. As a then-new shotgun owner, it helped me learn to handle it and actually taught me some shit that made shooting my 12ga more fun.
>>
Aside from making sure you have it shouldered properly (toe of stock resting in shoulder pocket/divot between collarbone and shoulder) there's not much you can do short of padding up on clothing or getting a recoil pad for the stock.

sore and tender shoulders are the best thing about shooting though.
>>
>>31202290
I'd guess either you're placing your cheek/head too far forward on the stock or you don't have a strong enough cheekweld.
>>
>>31202206
>Hold pretty much like you would a rifle

How do I hold a regular rifle?
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.