[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Getting a garand tommorow as part of a trade. Shot them before,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

Getting a garand tommorow as part of a trade. Shot them before, but never owned one. Anything I need to know/get in order to make it more enjoyable/lasting? I've heard about getting the garandgear gas plugs but don't know anything as to the why.
>>
File: 1472516267051.jpg (77KB, 499x440px) Image search: [Google]
1472516267051.jpg
77KB, 499x440px
>>31197895
Dont shoot new production ammo. If you do make sure its made for the M1 Garand. New ammo will bend the op rod
>>
File: tumblr_mrgprkuT5U1raxix5o2_500.gif (986KB, 500x221px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mrgprkuT5U1raxix5o2_500.gif
986KB, 500x221px
>>31197895
M1 Garands were made to shoot M2 Ball and nothing else. Modern Commercial ammo is to hot for the gas system, thats why you need a Garand Gear gas regulator. Also if you cant find actual M2 Ball, PPU makes M1 Specific ammo. Get some Mobil 1 Synthetic Grease (the red stuff) so you can grease up the op rod tracks and bolt. Enjoy your M1
>>
>>31197895
It's particularly fun to drop the bolt on your thumb.
>>
Look up youtube videos on how to load the thing without getting garand thumb
>>
You need the gas plug so you can use commercial ammo without fucking up your op rod.

Make sure to pull the charging handle all the way back like a man so it doesn't snap on your thumb.

Thats about it. Have fun.
>>
>>31197895
Make sure it's greased properly (lotta old military videos).
No high power modem ammo
Definitely get a new gas block
>>
>>31198000
Just use 2 hands.
I haven't smashed my fingers with my 1953 m1.
>>31197895
Sand down wood stock
Add 35 layers of lacquer
Shit looks so good on my dad's M1
>>
>>31198164
Really shit bait
>>
Anybody got that pic where that guy gets Garand dick?
>>
>>31197895
I have a Schuster adjustable gas plug, google how to use it and it'll be fine. it only like FMJ due to feed ramp design. best thing to do is to shoot surplus/designed for it ammo.
the op rod would be best served by a good sliding grease like Lucas red n' tacky or other things mentioned.

have fun!
>>
OP here, so get the garandgear plug and some m1 specific ammo and all should be right in the world?
>>
>>31199115
Yup, and as mentioned keep it greasy.
>>
Get a M3A1 Garand Combination Tool.

CMP still sells Greek surplus that is in clips already.

It if slides, grease it, if it rotates, oil it.

Pray towards Camp Perry 5 times a day to appease the rifle's machine spirit.

field strip the weapon before purchase. to make sure it isn't a reclaimed drill rifle.

1. pull the back of the trigger guard to the rear to unhook it.
2. rotate trigger guard forward.
3. pull down on trigger guard to remove the magazine floor and trigger assembly.
4. pull back and down on the buttstock to remove it from the barrel and receiver assembly.

look for welds on the bottom of the barrel, or anything else that is odd.

If the parkerizing is too good, beware.

original wood with original finish, should be reddish. as the oils in the finish oxidized over the decades.
>>
Oh yeah, definitely completely strip it down when you get it so you can thoroughly clean and inspect it, but once you've done that, you don't have to completely break it down every time you clean it. That is to say, don't remove the trigger assembly and separate the lower stock from the barreled action too often so as to maintain a nice tight fit. Do it too much and the action will become slightly loose in the stock and lead to accuracy issues.
>>
>>31198188
But seriously though, my dad's M1 has 35 coats on it.
It looks almost like glass.

It looks and feels amazing
>>
>>31197895
Federal, Prvi Partisan and S&B sell .30-06 intended for M1 garand use.
Don't buy a crap load of new production enblock clips. Buy a handful at most to see if your gun will work with them. My garand does not like new but has no issue with old clips.

If you buy surplus check to see if it is corrosive. US armories changed over in I think '57-58 but not all countries converted at the same time. If you buy some of the Korean M2 ball note that there is corrosive primed US ammo in the mix and there is a debate as to weather Korean ammo is corrosive or not. The Greek sold buy the CMP (and found resold all over) is not corrosive.

Should you buy corrosive, you should fully disassemble the rifle when cleaning after shooting it.

If you handload, make note only certain powders are good. Just Google load data garand and you should find data from a couple trustable sources.

Oh and if you end up with garand thumb and come to /k/ looking for sympathy, you ain't getting any.
>>
Watch this for info on gas plug
https://www.full30.com/video/211695cf9548c9a17f6dcb324fcc6f5c
>>
>>31197956
second post best post
i need to buy another
>>
>>31197956
Fun fact M1 garand was actually designed for M1 ball (a 173.5 gr bullet that is a copy of the gp11 bullet going about 2650fps). M2 ball came out the same year as the garand and was a throwback to m1906 ball using newly available powders (so an extra 100fps was possible without excess pressure).
>>
File: 1470899293921.jpg (80KB, 618x412px) Image search: [Google]
1470899293921.jpg
80KB, 618x412px
>>31199216
>Garand Akabar!

>>31199408
IMR 4895
learn it love it. H4895 is similar but different. do not cross load info

>>31199485
i did not know, thanks buddy
>>
>>31198132
>gas block
>>
>>31199563
I personally use IMR 4064. Slightly more consistent for me velocity and grouping for me. It does well amongst the other milsurp rounds I shoot too. Not always the best but good enough for me.
>>
>>31199688
thats a solid powder and dubs
>>
>>31199485
>(a 173.5 gr bullet that is a copy of the gp11 bullet going about 2650fps)
I keep hearing this but I dont think I could take a bullet out of a GP11 and put it on an Ought Six case
>>
>>31199634
Oh fuck off
You know what I meant.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.