[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Buying my first handgun. It'll be used primarily for target

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

Buying my first handgun. It'll be used primarily for target practice and home defense. Concealed carry isn't in the plans with it. I've narrowed it down to two. I want a polymer frame and 9mm.

So I'm looking at the H&K VP9 LEM and M&P Pro long slide 5". I'm looking for a great trigger (don't mind modifying). I'm not too sure how I feel about the h&k mag release. I've had both in my hand, but not in the same place to compare.

Anything to prersude me towards one side of the other? I've kicked around the glock idea, but not sure I wanna jump into that grip angle.
>>
>>31191577
P320
>>
The h&k felt like a dream on my hand. However it was the p30L. I'll be able to compare them side by side later. My local gun shop is getting a vp9 in for me to compare.
>>
>>31191607
Hmm I had the p30L and p226 in consideration for awhile.
>>
What's the difference between the VP9 and the LEM?
>>
>>31191577
ive owned everything and can tell you that HK is superior. Cant go wrong with the VP9. The P30L and USP both pretty sick also. Get the VP9 though you wont regret it. You will get used to the mag release. Honorable mentions go to the P226 and G19
>>
>>31191577

Don't get memeP9 as a primary. It isn't a serious gun. A Glock 9mm would be fine or at least a USP or P30 if you want HK.
>>
>>31191577
I don't know if S&W has improved the M&P trigger, but the originals were shit.
Apex makes a nice drop in kit though.
>>
>>31192055

One is a striker-fired gun and the other is a hammer-fired gun with a comparatively harder pull to learn. LEM has its benefits, but pure shooting isn't one of them.

As for the M&P9, you may have some accuracy issues with the gun (>4" @ 25yds). APEX has barrels which apparently fix this, which is convenient because you'll already be shopping at APEX in order to improve the trigger pull.

The SIG P320 shows promise. A Glock 34 or 17 is a sound option as well, and you don't know enough about pistol shooting ("Buying my first handgun") for "grip angle" to be a serious factor in your decision-making process.
>>
>>31191577
I hope you understand what LEM is. A good article on it by the late Todd Green who used to shoot a lot of LEM.

http://pistol-training.com/archives/8549

If you're looking for a good trigger specifically, check out the P320. Before buying something like a PPQ or VP9, make sure you like the paddle mag release.
>>
>>31192193

As long as it's made in mid 2015 or later it has the improved trigger.

I still don't like it though.
>>
File: Walther PPQ Freedoms warranty.jpg (739KB, 3329x2468px) Image search: [Google]
Walther PPQ Freedoms warranty.jpg
739KB, 3329x2468px
>>31191577
> I'm looking for a great trigger

PPQ. Better yet Glock though.
>>
File: 1452713323415.jpg (42KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
1452713323415.jpg
42KB, 1366x768px
>>31192198
>LEM has its benefits, but pure shooting isn't one of them.
>>
I was wrong about the LEM. No LEM on the VP9.

I'll give more consideration to the p320. I'm thinking that or the VP9. However the PPQ's short reset is attractive.
>>
>>31192281

Btw, Glock takes the original Luger grip angle, which is the most natural shooting grip angle. It's only going to feel unnatural when not extending arms fully, but to shoot from holster after a draw and fully extending your arms, you're going to like the Glock more than the 1911 angle HKs have.

Get whatever you want for 1st gun, but everybody should have a Glock 19 Gen 3.
>>
>>31192330
>Btw, Glock takes the original Luger grip angle, which is the most natural shooting grip angle. It's only going to feel unnatural when not extending arms fully, but to shoot from holster after a draw and fully extending your arms, you're going to like the Glock more than the 1911 angle HKs have.

shitstorm inbound
>>
P320, PPQ, and Glock 19 owner here. Carry glock 19 daily as I like the low bore axis + grip angle because I'm faster with follow up shots with the G19 compared to the other 2.

I wanted the P320 compact to replace the glock 19 as my carry pistol but noticed it being way too tall (as tall as my glock 17) making it a bit too difficult to conceal. But this is just me and my body type as a few guys here are taller with wider lats and can conceal a full sized pistol quite easily. Besides that one major negative of the P320 the pros are as follows: steel guide rod, steel sights, solid one piece trigger, removing the FCU is easy for modularity or cleaning.

The PPQ is my favorite range toy. The trigger makes it too easy to make decent looking groups whether I'm shooting from 7 yards to 25. However the slide release protrudes out a lot making slide lockback after the last round fired an annoying issue 50% of the time. I know this is a training issue and I'd have to adjust my grip but fuck that because I'm not going to carry the gun. Also with this gun I tried disassembling the frame for a deeper clean but holy shit the slide release pin is stuck in there good. I contacted Walther customer service and they advised never to disassemble the frame. If there is ever a need to do so to send it to them or go to a competent gunsmith because people have broken their frames trying to drive the pin out. Disassembly with the glock and P320 are easy so any parts that need to be replaced can be done quite easily with a few tools and YouTube.
>>
>>31192432
But is it the vp9
>>
>>31192401

Not an argument. Nothing I've said is controversial. More natural = more natural for most people. Of course there are people who might prefer a more vertical angle.

I can shoot both angles, but the Glock is more natural on the draw and faster. HKs's angle is slightly less tiring.
>>
>>31192488
i have no opinion of my own but usually it is said by the majority of /k/philes that the 1911 is the most ergonomic pistol ever. glock is famous for her supposedly shitty grip angle.
>>
>>31192566

Sure, the 1911 angle is more comfortable, but Glocks point more naturally, period. Followup shots are also faster because the more aggressive grip angle helps control recoil.
>>
I'm leaning towards the VP9 at this point from the more I read and compare.
>>
I might give the glock 17 however it sounds like the quantity isn't there by comparison. Poor sights and a spongy . however great reset.
>>
>>31192942

Everyone knows you upgrade the sights asap once you get a glock. Trijicon HDs or 10-8s.

If you don't like stock connector, get a factory minus connector.

VP9 has little after market.
>>
>>31192566
Until you get around to owning both and see that the angles of a 1911 and a 17 are identical
>>
>>31192462

Tbh I was never interested in the vp9. It's nearly the same size as a glock 17 but holds 15 rounds. I like guns to be more compact (shorter slide/barrel and shorter grip) as it is more aesthetically pleasing to me. The other reason is that I don't care for paddle mags. I've tried it with my sister's walther p99. It's fine once I got the hang of it but why should I have to retrain how I drop a magazine when all my other pistols use a button mag? The 3 guns I've listed before all have interesting features or roles so I keep them.
>>
File: 15z_CZP09_L_91620.png (453KB, 1920x1633px) Image search: [Google]
15z_CZP09_L_91620.png
453KB, 1920x1633px
>>31191577
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.