[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What kind of training would you need for a dog to actually be

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 17

File: 1471583090513.jpg (197KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
1471583090513.jpg
197KB, 1200x900px
What kind of training would you need for a dog to actually be a useful asset instead of just a companion in a SHTF scenario?

What kind of protective gear is there for dogs? I know about armored vests but what about like helmets or ear and eye protection?

Do they make like dog combat rations?
>>
File: 1380953141155.jpg (48KB, 634x549px) Image search: [Google]
1380953141155.jpg
48KB, 634x549px
What gun should my doggo OC?
>>
>>31180185
Not exaggerating here, but pretty much any protective gear that humans have, dogs have. You can buy damn near anything.

The bulletproof vests are meh, since a dogs body is so different, with the head forward, most shots will incapacitate if not outright kill it.

Check out Ruffwear. I got my puppers a full harness with side pockets and a handle on the back, that way when we go backpacking they carry their own food and collapsing water bowl.
>>
File: coyotevest.jpg (282KB, 942x942px)
coyotevest.jpg
282KB, 942x942px
>>
>>31180199
Same guy here.

In regards to training, as long as it can stay with you without a leash, that should be pretty much enough. I have a cur, which is naturally keen to hunting rodents like squirrel and coon if I help her kill it. I've never given her a day of hunting-related training, she just does it instinctually. Get a breed that is made for what you want it to do. People before bred them in such ways to save us the headache.
>>
>>31180210
>as long as it can stay with you without a leash when guns are fired

ftfy.

there's a reason why hunting dogs are hunting dogs.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 2726x2446px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 2726x2446px
I have two Goldens, my fat one would be useless but my english golden (creme one) would be a hell of a companion. Hes very alert for a golden and actually stands guard over me when I sleep. He comes from a breeder who specialized in hunting dogs. He's bred for hunting and retrieving and shows it. Also since they are very trainable as SAR dogs that could be useful as well.

I need to get them life jacket/harnesses for when i take them swimming as well as small packs so they can carry their own water and day supply of food and first aid
>>
>>31180197
That seems like a terrible idea
>sic dog on unarmed or knife wielding perp
>perp now has gun
>>
>>31180229
aww cute doggos. Give them a kiss for me
>>
File: Attach2681_20160823_093702.jpg (745KB, 1601x2846px) Image search: [Google]
Attach2681_20160823_093702.jpg
745KB, 1601x2846px
>>31180229
Cute pups
Here's my little one that doesn't let me sleep in, also useless in SHTF.
>>
>>31180185
Like already said,
well disciplined, loyal pup, with some sort of security training and modern K9 protective gear would get you far.
>>
File: e2YOErT.jpg (134KB, 1100x825px) Image search: [Google]
e2YOErT.jpg
134KB, 1100x825px
>>31180185
I suppose they'd be good for emergency food.
>>
File: 1199492351429.gif (842KB, 320x213px) Image search: [Google]
1199492351429.gif
842KB, 320x213px
>>31180292
do not each Menchi
>>
>>31180309
>*eat
>>
>>31180292
>A few days worth of food
Vs
>8-15 years of someone always pulling night watch on your behalf

Priorities man.
>>
>>31180185
>dog combat rations
Made me lel, a dog MRE

>bag of dry food (may have water added)
>one tin of wet food
>packet of dog biscuits
>packet of cheese slices
>two dentastix
>>
File: image.jpg (482KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
482KB, 1920x1080px
>>31180259

I will anon... I will
>>
File: Austrian K9 Unit.jpg (123KB, 1024x682px) Image search: [Google]
Austrian K9 Unit.jpg
123KB, 1024x682px
How do you train a dog for hunting? What do they actually do in a hunting trip?

I know for birds they scare the birds and can retrieve the shot ones, but are they useful for other hunting purposes? Other than like treeing raccoons and killing small rodents.

How hard is it to teach a dog to track things, or retrieve miscellaneous items for you?

Any dogs that would be cool with carrying stuff like their own food and water and such while on the go?

Are there any breads that would be good for all of the above, and could reasonably be taught all of the above?
>>
>>31180226
And most hunting dogs are harder of hearing
>>
>>31180309
>Chinese cooking show
>>
File: military dog walker.jpg (152KB, 775x775px) Image search: [Google]
military dog walker.jpg
152KB, 775x775px
Where can I get the kit to rock the IDF dog purse?
>>
>>31181429
For your first part, see >>31180210

For your second part, I'll refer you to dogs like the Dogo Argentino, which is used to apprehend and kill wild boars. They're massive dogs, and are trained to attack them on command. Dogs particularly bred for one activity will instinctively want to do that activity (I.E hunting boars) and all it takes on the part of the handler, is to have the dog obedience trained enough to do so only on command.

For your third part, any reasonably smart dog makes associations with words-activity. For example, "ride" or "bye bye" and they get excited because they get to go places with their head outside the window. Rewarding their behavior for things like "bone" for retrieving their bone, or (if you insist) "gun/rifle" to retrieve a weapon, and they'll learn to do it all the time, because it pleases you and you in turn reward them. They can literally be taught to fetch any particular item and the smartest breeds (like a border collie) can make up to 20-30 different associations.

Any medium sized dog 40lbs + can wear a harness and haul it's own food. Water gets heavy fast though.

Look at German Shepherds, Belgian Malynois (Not for beginners), and any type of hound dog or retriever types.
>>
For those looking for a more turn key solution you can also adopt a former military dog. Several organizations do this.

As hard on as /k/ is for milsurp and puppets I'm surprised I had to point out that those collide.
>>
>>31180671

Don't forget a length of rope for dat chewing addiction.
>>
>>31180185

It depends on what you mean by useful. Any stout hunting breed can carry gear, sic bad things, guard your position and ferry things to you with minimal training.
>>
File: 9N-25270-FS56148H_07-dog[1].jpg (437KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
9N-25270-FS56148H_07-dog[1].jpg
437KB, 1000x1000px
>>31181519

Get the condor/rothco version
>>
>>31181641
Hopefully not a bite dog. I find it hard to believe that most /k/ommandos would be able to handle a dog like that without getting their shit ripped off.
>>
>>31181429

>are they useful for other stuff

I've seen them hunt just about anything. I've seen good deer dogs eventually catch the deer.

Some of the big boar dogs get after you, you might want to start climbing or swimming, because anything that will catch a boar in a sprint will give you a close game.
>>
>>31180237
It's fine, it's at least level 1 retention.
>>
>>31181449
>DogEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
File: german-shorthaired-pointer1.jpg (25KB, 400x275px) Image search: [Google]
german-shorthaired-pointer1.jpg
25KB, 400x275px
What's a good breed of dog to get mostly for innawoods and hunting application?

I've been looking at a German Shorthaired Pointer, they seem like incredibly versatile dogs who smart and quick learning and can be trained for just about every application other than bear and boar hunting.

Thinking of getting a Rhodesian Ridgeback for a guard/attack dog.
>>
>>31182219
Rhodesian Ridgeback is a lot of dog, in the sense that they have a fucking ton of energy.
>>
File: rhodesian-ridgeback-u4.jpg (79KB, 1280x976px) Image search: [Google]
rhodesian-ridgeback-u4.jpg
79KB, 1280x976px
>>31182241
My parents have a Rhodie. They're great dogs. Super solid and muscular. Very well behaved when trained well.
>>
>>31182292
I don't think I've ever met an ill behaved rhodie. Found they ranged from full of energy to being pretty bro.
>>
File: IMAG0652.jpg (2MB, 2368x4208px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0652.jpg
2MB, 2368x4208px
Can my cat into operator too? I can take him on walks without a leash and he doesn't run at loud noises and he's a really good hunter. I just need to train him to attack people and wear a harness.
>>
File: Dog Flashback.gif (2MB, 329x319px) Image search: [Google]
Dog Flashback.gif
2MB, 329x319px
>>31180185

Tracking and scent recognition is handy and pretty easy to train for. Just have one person go out in the woods ahead of you and wait, then have the dog try to track their scent from a piece of their clothing.

Training them to alert without barking (making noise) would be useful if you planned on traveling or hunting with them, so that they can alert you without giving away your position.

I'd shy away from teaching them to attack, its just going to make them mean and their real value is as a lookout not as an attacker. Unless you've got a really cowardly dog they'll naturally defend you anyway.
>>
>>31182418
>they'll naturally defend you anyway.
Rhodesian Ridgebacks are super protective, we never trained my parents dog beyond obedience training and she naturally makes a great guard dog, there was one time my mom was telling me there was a mountain lion in the yard and our dog saw it and backed up to my mom's legs and pushed her back into the house.
>>
>>31181566
A dogo argentino is not a good dog for beginners. They're stubborn, and their protective tendencies like to manifest as killing people just for walking by the fence. Wish I was exaggerating.

I'd say the most useful commands to train in a dog are "drop everything and come here, NOW" and "calm the fuck down", especially if SHTF. Any decent dog will know when to engage, the problem is teaching it not to, since they don't have the judgement we do and it's our responsability to keep then safe.
>>
File: Cowboy Bebark.gif (506KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
Cowboy Bebark.gif
506KB, 500x375px
>>31180199
This is only semi thread related but I can't wait until humanity is exploring the stars with our battle buddies.
>post spaceworthy canine compatriots
>>
>>31182943
>dogo argentino
There is one that lives several blocks from me, it's a total psycho that seems like it wants to kill everything that walks by. It got out once and killed one of my neighbors dogs, the shit head white trash owners refused to take responsibility for it getting out. If I see that fucker loose I'm going to blast it with 00 buck....
>>
>>31182219
I have a gsp and he is one of the most loyal and lovable dogs I've ever had. The only downside is that he requires a metric SHIT TONNE of time outside running around. Extremely high energy breed
>>
>>31180208
Now when that little thing goes to bite their ankles, he'll tickle their nuts as well.
>>
not running away when he hears a gunshot, prolly
>>
How do you get into training dogs for hunting? That sounds like a thing I'd love to do.
>>
>>31185316

Find a crusty old fuck who trains and sells them.

He'll probably be in the mountains, look for a guy with a lot of wear and tear dipping a lip and smoking a Red.

That's your man.
>>
>>31180185
In a SHTF scenario, you'd probably want them for night watch if you're in the wilderness.

Also, if you got multiple dogs, they can take down a man.

One dog? No a good chance. Four dogs? The dude is fucked if they get at him.
>>
>>31186030
>start breeding Rhodesian Ridgebacks
>have a whole pack of them
>each dog is only a bit over two feet tall but is 75lbs of pure muscle
>bred to keep lions at bay and line up shots for their owners

Well I found my new job.
>>
>>31181429
Generally with hunting dogs, they know the hunt part, you have to train it to hunt with you. Mostly it's teaching it to still do what you say when it's excited as fuck.

For example a bird dog already knows that it wants the birds. It already knows how to find them. A good one already knows how to point them. What you have to teach it is, while doing all the above, to only flush it when YOU want, to bring the bird to you when retrieved, and not to fuck the bird up on the way ( that last one is half genetic too).

Different types of hunting dogs need different proficiencies, but it's alot of taking stuff the dog already wants to do, and getting him to do it in concert with you.
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.