[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Alright /k/. Remington 870 (and it's variations) or Mossberg

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5

File: Capture2.png (174KB, 1235x293px) Image search: [Google]
Capture2.png
174KB, 1235x293px
Alright /k/. Remington 870 (and it's variations) or Mossberg 500 (and it's variations). Which is your personal favorite? Who comes out on top? Why? Go.
>>
>>31179608
Ithaca 37
>>
>>31179612
Care to go into further detail?
>>
>>31179608
Mossy 590
Rifle grip stock
Ghost ring sights
Bayonet lug

Bam. Remove dindu
>>
Mossberg.
Because I'm left handed. Crossbolt on the 870 is a pain in the dick and the slide release is in a retarded position that you have to break your grip to actuate.
>>
>>31179620
Not much else

There's always someone spouting that in every scatter gat thread
>>
Literally preference of control layout
>>
>>31179608
I'm with Mossberg mainly because they are simply more cost effective in Syrupstan. I've owned three assorted Mossbergs (88's and a 500) and really like them, I've never had any problems with them. But I've also shot a 3.5'' 870 and thought it was a hell of a shooter and comfortable on the whole.

I honestly like them both, I'm considering picking up an 870 with the extended mag tube, they look sexy as fug.
>>
>>31179608
I tend to like the loosy goosy action of mossberg firearms over the stiff Remington action.

Plus the controls are nicer on the mossy.
>>
>>31179608
I'd go with Mossberg simply because it's European. Americans can't make guns.
>>
File: 1448693114757.gif (155KB, 678x422px) Image search: [Google]
1448693114757.gif
155KB, 678x422px
>>31179612
You're pretty good
>>
>>31179608
I have a Mossberg 590a1 and that thing is stupid durable and reliable. I love the way it grabs shells when you load them.
>>
>>31179847
This. Im left handed as well and cant stand anything about the 870. Its nothing against the gun, but tryjng to operate one left handed is like trying to open a tin can with your teeth, its not happening without a struggle.
>>
>>31182744
Mossberg is an American company. Founded in America, by Americans of European descent. But not Europeans.
>>
Mussbergs are for trailer trash and niggers.
>>
>>31179608
mossberg 500 has the safety on top which is way more convenient for hunting or any other instance where you want to keep the safety on until moment of shooting--you just thumb it forward as you shoulder
>>
>>31183906
This retarded meme needs to die. How the fuck is breaking your grip to use your thumb in any way better than retaining a firm grip and using your trigger finger to release the safety as it moves to the trigger? With an extended safety, you can pop the safety a split second before squeezing the trigger in one easy and ultra fast motion.
>but muh lefties!
They have an excuse to want a tang safety. 98% of the rest of the world does not.
>>
>>31179608
870 express vs a 500 or 590 I take the mossberg.

For hunting I'll take a 870 wingmaster every day.

Older 870s are my pick too. I'm used to them and they are honestly fantastic guns. New 870s are kinda shitty.
>>
File: 719005818.jpg (11KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
719005818.jpg
11KB, 500x500px
Anyone have experience with the Remington 870 Hardwood Home Defense? I think its sexy af, but if its not reliable I will look else where. What do you think?
>>
>>31183795
I never had any issues using mine left handed, it was easier to load with the right hand free and the action release was directly under my trigger finger. The fucker did rust like raw iron though, and getting the bolt back into the receiver was way too complicated.
>>
>>31187781
They didn't stop being reliable, they stopped being well-made and finished and the parts quality slipped. It still takes serious abuse to break something on one like the extractor but some of the models cannot handle high brass at all and choke. They kept the same price but halved the actual value of the shotgun.
>>
>>31187896
What models? Would polishing the chamber help the extraction issues?
>>
>>31179608

OP I have both a 870 Express Magnum and a Mossberg 535. I like both and do shoot both.

My 870 has a tendency to develop surface rust on long camping trips (made in ~2000).

The 535 has a funny elevator issue. The elevator is actuated by only the last ~3/8" of pump stroke, and is stiff even after 600 shells. This last stiff part causes me to short-stroke it sometimes, and this causes the next round to leave the magazine tube underneath the elevator an fall to the ground. I've had it apart several times to polish and grease the cam and it is much better, but it still happens on occasion. If I consciously pull back the slide hard, it always works. The finish on this one is much more solid than the 870, and I have never had a rust issue.

Despite the elevator thing, I usually go shooting with the 535. I also prefer the slide unlocking lever position, as it always seems to be in easy reach even when I am not holding the gun in the firing position.
>>
I have an 870 marine magnum, which I love. Great and reliable, never had any issues out of it. Easy to maintain as well.
>>
>>31188428
It also has the electroless nickel plating that prevents rust and corrosion.
>>
>>31187991
Maybe, it was mostly an issue with the extractor not grabbing the rim correctly. It's usually the first thing to break on the lower end models. The new Expresses even have firing pins break. That's Hatsun tier QC for something double the price of a Chinese budget clone. The E's also have brittle stocks if you choose the basic wood and also have plastic trigger guards. Of the 870 pumps, the marine, wingmasters, and classics will have the best quality (~800 and up basically). It's hard to swallow an extra 150 in plastic for their home defense versions. I've heard mixed things about the versa maxes but haven't used one yet. Probably because you can get a mossberg in the same price range instead with better options.
>>
>>31183832
Founded by Swedes born and educated in Sweden who just happened to live in murrika at the time. Hell, even their logo is basically a Swedish flag.
>>
>>31184465
I've used both styles regularly in over a decade of pheasant, dove, and turkey hunting, along with lots of shooting clays. Thumb on top is faster, safer, and smoother.
>>
>>31179612
yeah but most accessories are made for remossingtons
>>
>>31183766
I like the noise and the feel of the shell carrier going up with a new round.
Solid mechanical noises.
>>
>>31179608

Wow what an original thread. I literally have never seen a 590 vs 870 thread before. What's next? 9mm vs .45 or what about AK vs AR?
>>
>>31179620
It's a Mossy but cheaper.
>>
File: Winchester-SXP-6.jpg (249KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
Winchester-SXP-6.jpg
249KB, 1200x800px
>>31179608
Winchester SXP
May not have as many accessories, but the action and trigger are smooth as fuck
>>
Grizzly mag 870
Because.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.