[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Not that /k/ is a reliable place to learn, but... Here's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

File: xbeb.png (179KB, 391x301px) Image search: [Google]
xbeb.png
179KB, 391x301px
Not that /k/ is a reliable place to learn, but...

Here's what I understand:
>The black powder in the bullet makes bullet go whoosh.
>The black powder causes deflagration, which doesn't create a shockwave but does create gas and pressure to operate the reload.
>Gas-operated guns use the pressure in the pipe funneled into some other pipe to push back the firing pin.

Now, what I don't understand is how recoil operation differs from gas operation besides which way the force from the deflag gas goes, how it affects recoil and the final velocity of the bullet, and if it matters how far down the pipe the entrance to the 2nd pipe sits on gas-operated systems... which is like the AK unless I was dead fucking wrong somewhere down the line.
Also, what do the gas and the powder consist of?
ALSO, what makes the bullet in a P90 mag turn?

Excuse the ineptitude. Gotta start somewhere.
>>
File: 1470728439136.gif (565KB, 367x265px) Image search: [Google]
1470728439136.gif
565KB, 367x265px
>semi automatic black powder weapons

I want this
>>
>>31173003
This entire post. Just fucking what?
>>
>>31173180
Well, my mistake. What did I fuck up? iirc either "black powder" or "gunpowder" were generic terms. What the fuck makes bullets go whoosh?

>>31173224
I don't know anyone who dabbles in guns and all I've got for research is Wikipedia and Youtube aside of what I might find with a search engine. /k is the only place I know where I could ask questions on the topic. Besides, no downsides to making myself look stupid.
>>
>>31173247
Is there a board for writing skills? You need to go there before coming here.
>>
>>31173266
I take criticism well if you've got the time to spare.

Otherwise, sorry. Not a native speaker.
>>
>>31173247
black powder is the old shit you use for muskets and old rifles

gunpowder is the correct term for modern powder

gunpowder use a mix between concentred black powder and a small bit of high explosive particles

there's plenty of schematics on hte internet you can found about how a gun work ( gas operated, DI piston, recoil blowback and more )
>>
>>31173247
>black powder" or "gunpowder"
blackpowder and modern gunpowder are 2 different things
at this point in time blackpowder guns dont even qualify as guns legally.
you could buy a blackpowder revolver or musket and have it shipped to your house. meanwhile you have to buy a glock or something at a gunstore and go through a background check
>>
>>31173247
modern guns use 'smokeless powder' which creates higher pressures and doesn't cause as big of a white cloud in your face. The generic term you're looking for is 'gunpowder'.
>>
>>31173003
1. Most loads nowadays use smokeless propellants instead of BP.
2. Yes, the gas pressure is used to cycle the action in some form or another even if it's not called gas-operated.
3. The firing pin isn't the only thing that has to be moved, there's an entire bolt and maybe a bolt carrier, the bolt serves to seal the round into the chamber, extract the spent case, and strip a new round from the magazine, sealing it into the chamber.

Recoil operation - bolt and barrel recoil backwards together as a single unit, until the barrel stops and the bolt continues backward on inertia
Gas operation - a hole somewhere down the barrel diverts a small amount of the expanding gases, either to a piston that moves the bolt/bolt carrier, or directly to blow on the bolt/bolt carrier

Early smokeless propellants were made of things like nitrocellulose, nitroglycerin, nitro[insert common organic here]. I dunno how much they have changed since then. Note that these are often high explosives if initiated correctly, although for gun use they are simply deflagrated.
The gas is the exhaust gas of the burning propellant. It's the same shit that shoves the bullet out the barrel. Without having a source handy, I am guessing that it is mostly composed of CO2, CO, H2O, and nitric oxides plus smaller amounts of other chemicals.

Was this helpful?
>>
>>31173003
Recoil operation is a subset of blowback operation.

Blowback operation utilizes the equal and opposite force exerted upon the case when the bullet detaches and travels down the barrel.

When a semiautomatic such as a handgun fires, the cartridge (bullet + case) is sitting in a chamber where it cannot travel rearwards.

In a blowback gun of any kind, the case being forced back moves something, in the case of most semiauto pistols, the slide is what moves.

In a gas op gun the chamber is typically locked in some way (for instance a bolt face with gear lookin ass lugs radiating out of it) and is unlocked by some means when gas exits the barrel through a litlte peephole and travels along a gas tube and then pushes on something.

What it pushes on determines whether it is a piston gun or a "Direct impingement" one.
>>
>>31173331
Note that recoil operation is distinct from blowback operation. Blowback operation has the bolt recoiling on its own, sans barrel.
>>
>>31173003
To add to
>>31173331
>>31173358
>ALSO, what makes the bullet in a P90 mag turn?
KRAUT SPACE MAGIC
>>
>>31173388
Walloon space magic you mean?
>>
>>31173358
>When a semiautomatic such as a handgun fires, the cartridge (bullet + case) is sitting in a chamber where it cannot travel rearwards.

You think you could give an example of such a handgun? I think I'm having a case of the dumbs. The case sits in place after pushed up from the mag and doesn't move at all prior to ejecting? Can't figure out what would cause the firing pin (or w/e it's attached to) to return.

Speaking of which; What's the part that actually goes back and forth that the pin is attached to?
>>
>>31173003
>black powder
Gunpowder. Black Powder is like muzzleloaders and shit.
>>
>>31173717
Actually, I think I found it.

https://d3l1h3n4or6wo9.cloudfront.net/UGAR/product/undergroundak47buildmanual.pdf
Page 11
It's the bolt carrier, innit?

>>31173739
Gocha. Ancient stuff.

In regards to >>31173180 I wonder what that would achieve. Would the gun fucking explode? Would the byproduct of the reaction clog errything up? Would it cause a fucking smoke screen around the shooter?
>>
File: FN-P90.webm (471KB, 600x374px) Image search: [Google]
FN-P90.webm
471KB, 600x374px
>>31173003
ALSO, what makes the bullet in a P90 mag turn?
>>
>>31176027
wow. I was expecting some fancy, super fast wheel that spun the bullet, but instead it's a ridiculously simple mechanism.
>>
>>31173003
Recoil operation is the same thing as gas operation. The gas is behind the bullet and propels it forward, for each action there is an equal and opposite reaction. Recoil operating mechanisms are designed around this and adding a 'gas trap' which can push a rod or gas directly into a part to assisting the mechanism in moving backwards.

Gas consists of the residues of the powder being burnt it's not making a new element it's combusting some of the ones that have already been put together.
The powders make up depends, black powder is a few chemicals I don't want to list, cordite is a little more refined but it's basically nitro cellulose, fermented fiber that's very combustible.
p90 mag probably turns from a spring, never handled or taken one apart but there's probably a catch that stops the spring loaded part from turning when the chamber closes then when it opens spring pressure turns it around and the bullet gets caught and pushed into the chamber by a bolt.
>>
>>31176027
So they just fall into that position?
>>
>>31173003
People use smokeless powder not black powder nowadays. Smokeless powder is based on nitrocellulose, while black powder is a mixture of potassium nitrate, sulfur and charcoal. The main components of burning powder gasses will likely be nitrogen, oxygen and carbon dioxide, just going by the elements in the compounds used to make both black- and smokeless powder

In a gas operated system some of the gas is tapped off, like you said. The gas port needs to be positioned so that the gas pressure isn't too high or too low, too close to the chamber and the pressure is too high, and too much powder is unburnt, too far along the barrel and the gas pressure is too low do much with.
Also the entire bolt gets pushed back by the movement of the gas piston, and the striker or hammer is cocked by either the rearward or forward motion of the bolt

Recoil actions work on the principle that the forward movement of mass (in this case the bullet) causes an equal and opposite reaction. The barrel and slide/bolt in a recoil action can move, either just a short distance or a longer one depending on whether its short or long recoil. The movement of the barrel and bolt/slide then unlocks the bolt/slide to move against a spring and cycle the action.

I'm guessing the cartridges in a p90 mag turn because they're forced through a slot that turns 90 degrees while simultaneously pushing the catridge upwards.
>>
>>31178586
Recoil and gas operation are not the same. Also, recoil operated guns do not use a gas trap. No one makes gas trap guns anymore because they're obsolete now. Recoil operation is how the 1911, and most other modern handguns work, usually with a locked breech and tilting/unlocking barrel.
>>
>>31176027
Its the way the magazine is turned at the end. Nothing moves all hard plastic and the bullet is shoved into the slot by the spring.
>>
>>31173003
>how recoil operation differs from gas operation besides which way the force from the deflag gas goes
That's just about the entire difference. Recoil operated weapons (there are two general kinds, short and long) use the Newtonian principle of the equal and opposite force to cycle the weapon. Gas-operated weapons divert some of the gas pressure to cycle the action.
>how it affects recoil and the final velocity of the bullet
Because the recoil in a recoil operated firearm is doing useful work instead of only pushing into your shoulder (and because the barrel physically moves backwards, shortening the moment arm so that your stabilizing corrections are easier), the actual felt recoil is lower in a recoil operated system. They're pretty rare, though. Another neat thing is that the action doesn't move until the bullet leaves the barrel, so no velocity is sacrificed to cycle the action. In a gas operated system, bullet velocity is very, very, very slightly lower because the impulse of the expanding gas is slightly diverted.
>and if it matters how far down the pipe the entrance to the 2nd pipe sits on gas-operated systems
It does! The closer the gas port sits to the chamber, the higher the pressure in the gas tube. Similarly, the more barrel between the gas port and the muzzle, the higher the pressure in the gas tube. This can be critical for a system like the AR15, where there are many available barrel lengths. Gas port placement can affect reliability and parts wear both.
>>
>>31180517
Just remembered, recoil operated handguns are fairly common. I typically think of rifles when comparing action types. Gas operated handguns are rare, though. The Desert Eagle is one of them.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.