[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Heres the deal, the semi automatic was never invented Its 1930

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 11

File: images-29.jpg (9KB, 443x332px) Image search: [Google]
images-29.jpg
9KB, 443x332px
Heres the deal, the semi automatic was never invented

Its 1930 and the military are looking at replacing their m1903 with a revolving rifle for some troops

How do you perfect the revolving carbine?

>design the best combat ready revolving carbine

You can use any modern technology including sights and what not but it must be at heart a revolver rifle
>>
>>31168992
Well first off you gotta make sure the cylinder is sealed when the trigger is pulled.
>>
>>31168992
>Has to be a Revolver rifle
>Not a lever gun
>Not a bolt action/straight pull with fixed/detachable magazine
>Not a pump action with a detachable magazine
You suck
>>
Caseless ammunition and speedloaders, the cylinder has witchcraft/good engineering which makes it work as a heatsink
>>
File: BbqjIsYCcAAV6Ak.jpg (40KB, 540x359px) Image search: [Google]
BbqjIsYCcAAV6Ak.jpg
40KB, 540x359px
>>31168992
Just buy some K31, and some of their detachable mags
>>
File: Gargamel reading.jpg (29KB, 384x288px) Image search: [Google]
Gargamel reading.jpg
29KB, 384x288px
>>31168992
>semi automatic was never invented
>So the world reverted to an action that wasn't in widespread use in long guns before semi-automatic firearms were invented
>>
>>31169006
so, mosin revolver...
>>
File: xm556microgun.png (2MB, 1000x489px)
xm556microgun.png
2MB, 1000x489px
>>31168992
>>
File: 1363479014626.jpg (45KB, 400x276px) Image search: [Google]
1363479014626.jpg
45KB, 400x276px
>>31168992
>>
>>31168992
Nice disguised tround thread
>>
>>31169162

The fantasy crowd is cancerous on this board.
Only kids do this shit.
>>
>>31169019
>lever gun

Just as impractical for 1930 though. No spitzers for your tube magazine. Also, no easy prone firing
>>
>>31172471
Spitzers are fine. That amount of force required to get a primer to ignite from a Spitzer tip is pretty high.
Think about it anon the recoil from the rifle is towards the rear. Which does have anything to hit the first primer. The others are held in place by a spring which also won't generate the force required.
The real complaint for lever guns is no prone like you said.
https://youtube.com/watch?v=NeJmOxIklDc
>>
>>31168992
Straight pull carbines supporting a light machinegun

When small arms tech advances field either an automatic rifle or pistol caliber carbine since no one ever bothered to think of an interuptor for open bolt or closed bolt arms and in this alternate reality they understand that "hurr soldiers will shoot all see ammo if we don't issue them 3 shot internal mag bolt actions guys" is a shitty meme
>>
>>31172471
Who says it has to use a tube magazine?

Lever action, 20inch barrel, 10rd removable box mag.
>>
I build a full auto rifle then.
>tfw straight blowback is bae
>>
>>31169031
And Switzerland conquered Germany and lived happily ever after...

Oh, wait.
>>
>>31172471
The Winchester 1895 would disagree with you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOYf7_gqOvs
>>
>>31168992
Ok, I'll play along.

>The wheel magazine has developed to hold at least 10 or more rounds
>The wheel magazine has developed to be detachable
>To protect your arm holding front grip from gas flow and bullet debris coming from the wheel and barrel gap, the mechanism and ammunition has developed into Nagant revolver style action.

Listen son, There is just no way a self loading firearm action would not have been invented.

There is a fuckton on completely firearms unrelated industrial inventions from the same or earlier era that follow exactly that same principle where a shot is loaded in a barrel, punched and extracted.

Hot and cold forming, batch extrusion, powder compacting, stamping and pressing etc etc

Of course fantasies are inspiring and exciting, and that's ok.
>>
>>31173499
llok at all the various self loading firearm designs, it's often amazing what kind of stupid ideas people came up with.
>>
>>31173098
Blow back is shit?
>>
>>31173558
unless all you want is a 22lr machine gun pretty much yes.
>>
>>31172471
>No Spitzers for your tube magazines
They made Magazine fed lever actions. Also, Prone firing, while important, isn't the end all. You would, in reality, go with a different Bolt gun or a lever gun. under no circumstance would a revolving rifle win out
>>
>>31173558
>>31173579
Same for *-delayed blowback. Whoever thought they were appropriate for rifles ought to be dug up and hanged
>>
I can't remember the name, but there's a scientific/psychology theory that says if someone doesn't invent/create/do something, somebody somewhere will do it anyway in the exact same or a different way. So essentially the theory states that if the Garand wasn't invented by Garand, it would have been invented in a similar fashion by someone else anyway, kinda like semi-autos were destined to exist by fate.
>>
>>31173550
Yeah, it never ends.

It's also funny how just looking at how many of historical Actual firearms designs have been weeded out of the gun genepool should give you a pretty good picture about the evolution of things.

You don't need to be Saint Ian.
>>
>>31173657
well yeah, the demand for a self loading rifle was there and if there is demand, people will try to accomodate that. eventually, somebody will come up with a valid idea.
>>
>>31173143
And Germany never conquered Switzerland and they lived happily ever after, actually
>>
File: 1441574992001.jpg (81KB, 677x960px)
1441574992001.jpg
81KB, 677x960px
>>31173692
>Saint Ian

screws have been known to people since like roman times. people were able to cut precise and standardized screws since back then all throughout the medieval ages. making a locking gun breach and bolt based on a intermittent screw thread should have been a no brainer. and indee, in fact, many muskets were closed at the breach usinf a simple screw that's screwed in the end. put a piston on that, make the threads intermittent, put that in a receiver and put a spring behind it and there you go.
>>
I think a neat solution would be replaceable cylinders. Skimp a bit on the cylinder material and use an economy of scale to turn those into magazines. [spoiler]Like how Borderlands did revolvers[/spoiler]
>>
>>31173746
>and there you go

>pew
>pew
>pewpewpewpewpewpewpewpew

And Saint Ian saw that it was good.
>>
File: Screw, Interrupted.jpg (3MB, 3648x2736px) Image search: [Google]
Screw, Interrupted.jpg
3MB, 3648x2736px
>>31173746
kinda like this.
>>
>>31173799
yeah, you don't have to dick around with forging small locking lugs etc. although, look at all the flintlock mechanics, they did loads of small, precision shit so in the grand scale of things, would an AR15 star bolt really be too complicated to make? compared to pic related?
>>
>>31173610

Heckle my Cockslap would like a word with you
>>
File: 143024362339.jpg (2MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
143024362339.jpg
2MB, 2592x1944px
>>31173886
>HK
>also known as Memeguns Inc.
>>
>>31168992
simple
make a big pump action shotgun
replace shells with cylinders
>bam bam bam bam bam bam
>rack
>bam bam bam bam bam bam
>rack
>bam bam bam bam bam bam
>rack
>>
>>31172847
are you really using that video as proof its safe?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_3898809725&feature=iv&src_vid=uhB5mMyEJFA&v=atnBbYZYl7I
>>
>>31173657

convergent evolution?
>>
>>31168992
I purchase the already designed, proven, and battle-tested repeating rifle in .30-06 rather than trying to make a whole new weapon.
>>
>>31168992
This is dumb. Use a straight pull or lever gun
>>
>>31168992
>10 round cylinder
>solid left side for gasses
>cylinder swings out to the right, is removable
I doubt it's perfect, but it should fit in your crazy world.
>>
>>31168992
I would encase the cylinder in a sheet metal shell on the front and sides to prevent hand burning without needing a 20 pounds trigger.
The cylinder could no longer swivel to the side so I make the gun a top break design. Make sure the locking mecanism is overbuilt.
With this layout I could make the cylinder easily swapable for a full one.
Have soldier run around with bandoliers of cylinders.

Of course capacity is limited if you don't want the gun to be extra cumbersome to carry around (which is what soldiers do 99% of the time).
But a large capacity weapon version could be made with large ring shaped cylinders. They wouldn't be more cumbersome to carry around than DP28 mags.
Of course you would need a mecanism to move the ring between each shot. Maybe make something rewindable like a Streetsweeper cylinder, except the mecanism would allow cylinder swapping.

To go further, on the regular versions you could use the cylinder encasing as a gas trap of sort, divert the cylinder blast and use it to cycle the weapon. Not sure it would work with the largest versions since gases would have more space to expand.
>>
>>31175558
You tell 'em, Anon.
>>
>>31169019
None of those are double action...
>>
>>31176024
A) You could make them double action if you really wanted to.

B) Double action is pretty much useless for a repeating firearm.

C) You wouldn't want a double action pull on a rifle anyway.
>>
>>31168992
What is a nice aestetic and working revolving rifle?
I know there are many better options but my mind says no and my body says I need to give one the mcnig galil treatment.
>>
File: IAC.jpg (15KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
IAC.jpg
15KB, 800x450px
>>31169031
>>31169162
>>31172992
>>31173657
>>31175558
>>31175586

is it really hard to just have a fun hypothetical thread?
>>
>>31168992
Ok no semi autos.
I'll just invent full autos, hell some autos are simpler than semis.
>>
It would have a lever action that simultaneously feeds a round from a pipe in the stock of the gun into the empty space in the revolver. There is a hand feed at the top of the stock similar to a pump shotgun feed.
>>
>>31176407
If he wanted a fun thread he should have set the time back to the 1870's/80's instead.
>>
>>31172992
Could you restate that last sentence? I have no idea what it means
>>
>>31178272

i don't know how many nations did this, but the Brits would issue a mag block for the Lee Enfield so you had to load every round through the ejection port and the magazine wouldn't feed. the thought was that doing so would slow down the rate of fire, and increase the accuracy of the soldier. in case of emergencies, you could unblock the magazine.
>>
Wasn't another problem with the concept of revolving rifles that the cartridges would be too powerful to be housed and fired in an open cylinder? I suppose it could be resolved like the nagant pistol...
>>
>>31178325
That would not be a major problem with modern materials and modern precision machining.

However the issue indeed, as you suggest, would be with a) the longevity of indexing the cylinder and b) gas seal at the gap.

A high pressure gas flow from the cylinder-barrel gap would eat away material and in time enlarge the gap. Add up only one small one-point indexing wedge at the bottom of the frame that will wear, and now you get bullet debris coming from the gap.

I has to be nagant-style or similar design evolution, had it ever happened in this universe.
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.