[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Question for you /k/ How much did the crazy training the spartans

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

Question for you /k/
How much did the crazy training the spartans went through really matter in the end? Obviously being raised since birth for war they would be stronger, more resilient to pain, more willing to fight or die that sort of thing. But in their time battles were basically just huge numbers of men slugging it out or using different formations. I can see them being more effective in a one on one fight but feel like alot of that would be null when you've got two walls of sheilds just crashing into each other. So was it worth it/effective to train soldiers in this way or better to just raise a giant army of whoever you can?
>>
>>31156904
I think you seriously underestimate how insane combat was back then.
Anyways we're still talking about the Spartans so they did something right.
>>
>>31156904
You think brute strenght and discipline don't matter in a wall versus wall battle ?
>>
>>31156904
You are ignorant of field battle. It takes a lot of discipline to maintain your composure when flesh is being carved away from bones.

A Spartan can get speared then fight on with ferocity. A Persian of anyone else would get wounded and flee.

Who would you want fighting for you?
>>
I bet the physical training that they underwent for so many years played a major role in drawn out pitched battles. I also think youre underrating how important organization is in war
>>
>>31156904
They did great in small territorial conflicts and wars. However once things went massive, their rigidness and slight lack of flexibility was overcome by the Athenian tactics, navy and superior economy.

I have a feeling the Spartans got outnumbered too, which isn't a great thing when fighting a sophisticated enemy like the Ionian Greeks.

I think good strategy, tactics and manoeuvres can always trump troop quality. The Spartans were really amazing though.
>>
>autism, the thread.
>>
until the invention of automatic firearms, the most important attribute of troops is the ability to stand and not rout.

you are not meleeing to the death, you grind the enemy until he runs then you chase him down, that's where most of the casualties is inflicted
>>
File: 1466925298936.jpg (182KB, 1011x1368px) Image search: [Google]
1466925298936.jpg
182KB, 1011x1368px
>>31156904
Spartans where only important because no other greeks had always ready professional standing armies at the time (im simplifying it but w/e)

As soon as the other greeks decided to get proper armies instead of what was basically just militias they fucked the spartans right up in equal battles. Spartans where shit tier because of there political and social system, which could never succeed in the long term. Its a complete miracle that they survived as long as they did. Who the fuck thought that having significantly more slaves then citizens was a good idea? Spartans never conquered because they just couldn't, they spent all there time pacifying there stupidly huge amount of slaves.

Yes, they where pretty hardcore which makes them interesting but thats about it. You don't suddenly get superhuman fighters who never run with the spartan system, spartans routed plenty, just a bit less then other professionals.
>>
>>31157948
>hurr history is for nerds
>>
>>31158166
>history isn't for nerds
>being a nerd is inherently bad
>>
>>31158078
>superhuman
No one claimed "super human."

The Spartans stood their ground. No decorations. No adjectives to bolster their descriptions. They were it. Non stop. Come at the Spartans and you will most likely die.

Simple, unyielding discipline that no other army embraced.
>>
>>31158017
Isn't the invention of radio for communications also a large game changer for war?
>>
>>31157060
This. In this kind of warfare (all war really) every advantage matters. The Spartans took on enemies with much larger numbers (and I dont mean Thermopoly).
Look at the formations they created, they were copied till guns became automatic.
>>
Apparently most Spartans could be used as officers and command others. They never had high numbers but always led a lot of allies into battle and even after Leuctra the Spartan mercenaries still managed to lead troops successfully.
>>
File: 1454834269573.jpg (206KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1454834269573.jpg
206KB, 1280x1024px
>>31158199
>Simple, unyielding discipline that no other army embraced.

Rome.

when Pyrrhus of Epirus, the finest general of his era invaded Italy, they fought him so hard he gave up even after technically winning.

even after loosing fleet after fleet of their novice navy to both terrible storms and Carthaginians alike, they turned the score and drove them out of Sicily.

even after losing THREE armies to Hannibal, even having him at the literal gates of Rome, they managed to turn the war around, invade Carthage itself and stomp Hannibal on his turf.

in Cynoscephalae the legions ran downhil into formed phalanxes and stood their ground, eventually outmanouvering and decimating the last Macedonian king.

against the Cimbrians, against the Parthians, against Arminius, Against the Picts, against the Numidians, against the Dacians, Rome was NEVER not fighting an uppity fuckwit nation or ruler with numerically inferior fighting forces and stomping them.

Romans waged total war, it was all or nothing, they were determined and commited on a level Greek polis never had because polist hardly ever faced existential enemies since war was only a political move. Every Roman was a citizen, a career soldier and politician at the same time, they were RELIGIOUSLY martial.
>>
>>31158078
>Who the fuck thought that having significantly more slaves then citizens was a good idea?
How would you call feudalism then? Helots were much closer to medieval peasants than Roman slaves.
>>
>"I popped a chub during 300", the thread
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.