[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I live in Texas. How does carrying while camping work? If I only

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: images[1].jpg (3KB, 139x90px) Image search: [Google]
images[1].jpg
3KB, 139x90px
I live in Texas. How does carrying while camping work? If I only keep my gun in my tent do I need a CHL? What about transporting the firearm to the campsite? If it's in my backpack do I require a CHL to hike my firearm to the campsite?

Sorry for the stupid questions, I've never owned a firearm before, but after some sketchy encounters at night while camping, I'd like to be able to have something in the tent while I sleep.

Finally what's a good and safe (for me and my fellow hikers) self defense weapon? I'm thinking some type of glock like a g26 or 43 so it won't add too much excess weight. Are there any cheaper alternatives? the 4-500 dollar price tags on the glocks are pretty hefty for a student like me.
>>
Not sure about the laws or any of that but I'd humbly suggest the G20. OC that bitch out in the woods. Plenty of power for both four legged and two legged attackers.

I'm a hunter and I keep that as my hunting sidearm. Usually run into coyotes when I'm bowhunting deer.
>>
>>31154941
Nevermind, just saw your price range. Let me find another alternative.
>>
Ask your county sheriff, they should know and be happy to inform you.

Here in Utah when I go camping I just OC and sleep with it by my side, but I use a hammock instead of a tent
>>
>>31154941
would a double action, hammerless revolver be good? They are a little bit cheaper than the glocks. In the 3-400 dollar range. Or are they more unsafe? I am not worried about 4 legged animals. There are essentially no big predators left in Texas, unless you go to extremely remote areas or are (un)lucky enough to meet a mountain lion.
>>
>>31155051
Yeah, I was actually looking for cheaper revolvers and I think if you can find a good used revolver out of a pawn shop it'd be good.

Oh actually, if you're not looking at any animal threats then I'd look at the SCCY CPX-2. You get your hammerless double-action-only revolver without it actually being a revolver.
>>
>>31155093
>SCCY CPX-2

I saw that and a few other single stack 9mm as pretty good options. Someone told me if it's my first gun I should maybe consider spending a little more money to get a gun that's actually fun to shoot in addition to being good for self defense. This probably means a glock or another subcompact.

I'm not exactly interested in carrying it for every day cc. Just strictly for camping and maybe doing some plinking at the range.
>>
>>31155529
If you can find a police trade-in, you can get a good deal on a G17 which would probably fit your criteria. But it highly depends if the police around you are using 9mm (most are .40s&w). There are probably some better options and you would have to shoot the different options to see your best price, but it'd require some of your budget on that, so the G17 you probably can't go wrong with.

Glocks are super common so it's definitely possible to find one for a steal. Try auction houses around you, a lot of them are online, check Proxibid. People tend to not buy guns at general auctions so you can get a gun for cheap there. Also try some pawn shops in the area or used guns at your LGS may be an option to shave off a few hundred from the price of a new Glock.
>>
>>31155529
Also if you want a higher quality small single stack 9, the M&P shield is a great little gun. I'm more partial to the M&P line over Glocks and the price of the shield is better than its G43 counterpart. Also has 7 or 8 round mags stock while the G43 only comes with 6.
>>
>>31155711
Thanks for the suggestions.

Going to go to the range and try a small DAO revolver, 1-2 glocks and the shield.
>>
>>31155884
Great. Have fun and hope you find something you like!
>>
You can conceal carry on you OR in a backpack. Look at the camps website, call them.
>>
Glocks today start @ $600
IF you get a cheaper gun you might only save $200. Not worth it. Save $300 two times and do it right. Also get at least 10 magazines.
>>
File: Image.jpg (38KB, 550x406px) Image search: [Google]
Image.jpg
38KB, 550x406px
>>31156938
Why get a glock when you can get its far superior half-brother for $400 cheaper?
>>
File: 1465536912753.jpg (28KB, 542x670px) Image search: [Google]
1465536912753.jpg
28KB, 542x670px
>>31157743
>superior
>15 pound gritty trigger
>>
>>31154941
This is completely illegal in my cuck state
>>
When you walk up on 300 lb boar you will wish you had something that packs a punch.

Not 100 percent on the current laws but I always open carry when camping or fishing or hunting in TX.

Been stoped by a game warden and he never said anything about the pistol just wanted to make sure I had license and wasn't over on limits.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.