[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /k/ think of stainless damascus? I plan on having

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 8

What does /k/ think of stainless damascus?

I plan on having a custom sword made as a family heirloom, but fear that normal steel/damascus wont be that well maintained when i pass it on, so i want to have the stain/rust resistant aspect while still having a pleasing asthetic. I dont need the thing to be functional battle sword, just something to be passed on to future generations
>>
>>31115824
Dumb faggot, real Damascus steel doesn't exist any more.
>>
>>31115824
>stainless
>sword
you seem to not have any idea of metallurgy, stainless steel is a horrible choice for a sword because of its brittle nature, moreover damascus steel is only for looks, modern monosteel is much stronger and far less susceptible to rust
>>
>>31115936
It does require more maintainance than stainless right? Again im using it as a heirloom not a functional sword. Its not like me (or my descendants) will wield an actual blade
>>
>>31115824
It's beautiful, that's it.
>>
This whole thread is cringe as fuck. Pass down a gun or here's an idea.. give future generations (which I doubt there will be, in this case) the gift of not being fucking retarded with your finances so you can send them to college.
>>
>>31115996
I wouldnt worry about a sword if i have financial problems you poor cunt
>>
>>31115996
The sad part is OP might be rich and just this retarded.
>>
>>31116007

If you're buying a "family heirloom sword" in 2016 then you've got some pretty serious issues with life choices in general, which generally doesn't translate to financial well being.
>>
>>31115921
>pleasing asthetic
>I dont need the thing to be functional battle sword

Go weaboo some other thread where reading isn't required, faggot.
>>
Damascus doesn't exist anymore
>>
>>31115985
Leaving your descendants a sword that sucks.

Your a cunt op. What if your great great grandson needs a sword. Can't use your shit sword.
Have a real sword made. And that will be a family heirloom.
Otherwise just go buy some crap at the Chinese junk store.
>>
>>31116032
Ever heard of a decoration piece? Fucking retard
>>
>>31116035
>>31115921

no shit, sherlock, yet there is a patterned steel referred to in the consumer market as "Damascened" that is clearly what OP is talking about.

You know what's stupid? believing a myth about legendary steel swords that could lop other swords in half.
>>
>>31116049
I was emphasizing that the sword is a decoration piece. I think you are confused.
>>
>>31116044
Obviously functional ones require more care, i doubt my son or grandson would oil and clean it every other month
>>
>>31116049
Wasting money on things that don't actually function.

>stupidity

You can go buy cheap shit that looks good. Or spend money to have something nice made.
>>
>>31116075

No one is going to give a shit about your over priced wallhanger in 20 years, much less in 2 generations. Buy some art that might actually be an investment.
>>
>>31116101
>overpriced wallhanger
>art

Ironic
>>
>>31115824
decoration piece... lul. your progeny will probably be pawning that shitty wallhanger while your body is still warm in the ground
>>
>>31116101

But you know what? Here. http://www.budk.com/Damascus-Swords-3557

Your grand kids will thank you, I'm sure.
>>
>>31116109
>pawning
>leaving shit ton of money
I doubt it
>>
>>31116105

If you think there's ever going to be a value increase for your special sword made in 2016, you're on something you should be sharing.
>>
>>31116122
Im refering to the overpriced wallhanger and art dumbass
>>
>>31116121

Right, cause they're going to keep it enshrined in the Sword Room.

>This my Great Grandfathers Damascus Sith Double Sider. Been in our family for 4 generations!

>It might have less historical prominence than a Nugget or mean anything to me or the family in any respect other than GGPa got it because why not but at least it's not actually functional!

>It was stupid when it was new and it's stupid now but it's still here because uh.... I guess we should just take it down and put another TV in here.
>>
>>31116157
Yeah sure, whatever helps you sleep at night and fills the lonely void in your life
>>
>>31116176

You should get that little ICP running dude with the cleaver etched on the blade.
>>
>>31116049
This is a weapons board, not a decpration board, gtfo.
>>
>>31115824
do you have an email or other means of contact? i can help you, if you want to be helped.
>>
>>31116210
Help how? Sending me nudes? Hacking my shit?
>>
>>31116210

Are you a mental health professional? Because that's what we need here.
>>
>>31116194
Sure see ya
>>
>>31115824

Omg op ur literally such an autist...

You don't seem to understand that an heirloom is more than just an item of value.

It's an heirloom because it has a story, or reason to be kept and given to future generations.

See an heirloom would be my grandfathers 1911, because it has history and story.

No one will treat your sword like an heirloom even if you get it.

It's just going to be a somewhat expensive thing in your collection once you die.

Also to even make anything a proper heirloom in your lifetime, you should be long dead before anyone considers something of yours an heirloom.
>>
>>31116276

Your childhood stamp collection is a more valid heirloom than something you got on a lark.

But OP is never having kids so it's a moot point.
>>
Theres nothing interesting to make it a heirloom if its a bullshit chink-grade fake sword.

Your """"heirs""""" will not care about it. It wont mean anything to them. If has nothing, no value, beyond what they will get for it at a pawn shop.

A sword to leave behind, if it isnt functional, isnt carried in some noteworthy fashion, isnt used for anything but to sit there, isnt an heirloom. Its a dust collector, fated to rust unloved.

Get a real sword faggot. Use it. Then maybe you might leave behind something other than regret and disappointment.
>>
>>31116276
So my family doesnt have one and i want to start a tradition of passing it on instead buying a really old one and go on from there, i want to custom make it just for my family

Not everyone has an heirloom of course, hence me wanting to start one item of value and importance and story behind it hoping it will last long enough to be kept and made important by future generations.
>>
>>31116338
Literally the only decent thing i got in this thread. Thanks, gonna keep that in mind
>>
>>31116312
Im already married, hence thinking about family but sure whatever
>>
>>31116341
>one item of value and importance and story behind it

>value
this has no value, in the monetary or personal sense. Sure, you'll pay a lot for it, but it will have resale value of less than $100 pretty much no matter what you spend on it.

>importance
kek. it is useless and will be unused. You won't have any connection to it aside from buying and occasionally handling it. It has no importance.

>story behind it
"The story of this knife starts in the chinese province of Wang Clang, where thousands of knives identical to it are made daily for disposal in the american internet market. This particular knife was made of a batch of steel deemed too poor for tool purposes, but adequate for decorative letter-openers. On the day it was cast one Foo Lin fell into the smelting vat...
>>
>>31116355
>>31116341
>>31116364

You're an idiot but I think you already know that.
>>
>>31116413
Sure whatever, you dont get the point anyway
>>
>>31116403
Cant really understand it if you dont know the reason and symbolism behind the thing being made in the first place
>>
>>31116432
Full Definition of heirloom

1 : a piece of property that descends to the heir as an inseparable part of an inheritance of real property

2 : something of special value handed on from one generation to another

3 : a horticultural variety that has survived for several generations usually due to the efforts of private individuals

The point is that you'd be better off buying some tomato seeds and giving them those.

>>31116453

Enlighten us then, as to the specific and unique value of your nonfunctional Damascus version of Glamdring the Foe-Hammer.
>>
>>31115824
>"remember when our grandfather gave us a chinkshit wallhanger?"

Get a functional sword made and just grease the entire thing if all you plan to do is store it for no reason.
>>
>>31116453
They made it to make money off you. There's exactly zero more story to this knife than that, unless you go out and get all stabby with it.
>>
>>31116487
>nonfunctional Damascus version of Glamdring the Foe-Hammer

Actually, it does glow bright blue when orcs are about. So there's that.
>>
>>31116489
Yea i get that already
>>
>>31116528

Does the fact that it includes a tactical light make it an assault sword?
>>
>>31116453
You told us your reason, and symbolism does not an heirloom make. It needs to be interesting and have more story and importance than $149.99 on budk.com and a cardboard box filled with foam peanuts.
>>
>>31116060

How did you get that from what he said? He simply just said it's not the real deal, some how you come up with him thinking it's a mythical steel...I think some one needs stop watching so much game of thrones, maybe get out of the house for a bit. You giant autistic faggot.
>>
>>31116541
>Does the fact that it includes a tactical light make it an assault sword?

That and the TRIPLE blood groove for all that, y'know, blood it's sure to be drenched in.
>>
>>31116544

It's tape!

>>31116559

A truly worthy gift for your children's children's children.
>>
>>31116550
>He simply just said it's not the real deal

I know you said that, samefag, and you were wrong, because when a vendor says "damascus steel" they mean it's wavy.

By all means, tell us what you meant by "the real deal"
>>
>>31116544
Its more on the personal journey side of things really
>>
>>31116617

"Now Steve, be careful with that sword, your grandfather made a personal journey all the way down the driveway to get it when the mailman dropped it off, it was the farthest he'd walked in months!"

Make sure you do a video of you opening it, like this guy. That alone can give the sword heirloom status.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jb3UobSZl34
>>
>>31115985
you and your descendants are cucked faggots
>>
File: 3huyEYt.jpg (150KB, 700x1066px) Image search: [Google]
3huyEYt.jpg
150KB, 700x1066px
>>31116617

The personal journey to the import shop at the mall. Because no one would ride with you.

You want to get an heirloom sword? Go look up what Terry Pratchett did. That's heirloom.
>>
>>31116639
>>31116649
Not in a literal sense you idiots
>>
>>31116681
Kids and grandkids don't give a fuck about listening to figurative/symbolic personal journey stories, homie. They want to know about the time the turtle bit your toe.
>>
>>31116060
A high quality sword could definitely cut a shit one in half
Cheap blades weren't even always steel, and were usually tempered shittily, so if some smith got lucky and forged a high carbon, well tempered blade, it would destroy the shit ones
>>
File: aMbzYsL.jpg (22KB, 460x317px) Image search: [Google]
aMbzYsL.jpg
22KB, 460x317px
>>31116681

Yeah, we're the dumb ones here. You got us.
>>
>>31116708
Just failing to fully comprehend what im saying is stupidity in itself
>>
>>31116707
*slow clap* spotted the impressionable weeaboo faggot
>>
>>31116702
Why would i give a child a sword? I'd give it at the right age of course
>>
>>31115824
If little anon jr doesn't have to take care of the sword, why even bother passing it down?
He'll never need it, he'll never learn something from taking care of it, he'll just grow into a weeby fucker like his dad
>>
>>31116720

Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like? You've got to be kidding me. I've been further even more decided to use even go need to do look more as anyone can. Can you really be far even as decided half as much to use go wish for that?

>>31116729

“You can't give her that!' she screamed. 'It's not safe!'
IT'S A SWORD, said the Hogfather. THEY'RE NOT MEANT TO BE SAFE.
'She's a child!' shouted Crumley.
IT'S EDUCATIONAL.
'What if she cuts herself?'
THAT WILL BE AN IMPORTANT LESSON.”
― Terry Pratchett, Hogfather
>>
>>31116746
>>31116708
>>31116649

Pratchett has made this thread immeasurably better.
>>
>>31116726
Do you even know how swords are made?
Things have to be done correctly, not that you'd know anything about that
>>
>>31116729
Bad news for you - adults are even less interested in listening to figurative/symbolic personal journey stories, they're just more polite about concealing their boredom.
>>
>>31116770
I'm sure you think you know all about how swords were made, but that's only because you need to stop watching so much game of thrones, maybe get out of the house for a bit. You giant autistic faggot.
>>
>>31116778
Well i guess where you're from people are pricks
>>
>>31116044
This. If you want just any old wallhanger, there's plenty of super cheap ones you can get online. If you want an "heirloom" made with possibly more expensive materials, then it might as well be functional. Stainless is terrible for a sword, whereas damascus steel(to name one type) can actually be quite good if it's tempered. In any case its more in how the sword is taken care of and stored.

That being said, you do know that unless its functional, the sword really won't be worth anything to your descendants right? Like no one's gonna give a shit that grandpappy bought some crap wallhanger. Antique and heirloom swords are only valuable because of their history, they were used in battles or at least carried ceremonially by important people.
>>
>>31116795
You're the one expecting people to sit still and listen to your personal journey story about...how you decided to buy an heirloom from an online knife store. And then expect them to be fascinated enough to indulge you and pass it on to their kids/grandkids.

You're the prick, I'm just warning you.
>>
>>31116793
I'm you know all about shitposting, but that's only because you need to spend less time on a mongolian waifu factory, maybe learn about smithing a bit. You retarded fucking prick.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNuEDtnVdeM
>>
File: Don't know what face.jpg (40KB, 342x298px) Image search: [Google]
Don't know what face.jpg
40KB, 342x298px
>>31115824
>I plan on having a custom sword made as a family heirloom
>But I don't want it to be functional and it won't have any history and my grandkids will sell it to a pawn shop for meth money
>>
>>31115824

a family heirloom should be something that is actually useful

a stainless steel sword is not useful, it's a joke

if you just want something to look at, get a painting or something. person who hangs a painting on the wall to look at is normal. person who hangs a useless sword on the wall to look at comes off as a weirdo.
>>
>>31115824
>2016
>sword

You fucking autist.
>>
>>31115824

OP - If you aren't going to make a functional sword, then don't make any sword. Heirloom weapons are cool because they can be grabbed off the mantle and USED in case of an emergency. What's the point of having a big, intimidating hunk of iron hanging over your mantle if it's all bark and no bite? There is no point, which is why you have gotten so much shit throughout this thread. You might as well just be putting a scepter or, better yet, a black iron dragon dildo on your mantle instead.

Look into Chinese metallurgy. They have made swords that remain pristine and sharp even to this very day. If your heir ever needs a sharp sword, they'll have one.
>>
File: Waingro gets 404'd.gif (1MB, 500x210px) Image search: [Google]
Waingro gets 404'd.gif
1MB, 500x210px
>>31116044
This. Leave a nice handgun or some watch. Fucking sword? kys you HSN buying cheapskate.
>>
my plan is to get a sick pimp chalice made of gold/platinum/silver/etc and when I die have my carbon remains compressed into a Life Gem and have that diamond mounted on the chalice and pass that down my bloodline.
>>
File: 1471362938604.jpg (83KB, 500x610px) Image search: [Google]
1471362938604.jpg
83KB, 500x610px
>>31117430
>>
>>31117430
with the intention of every jewel encrusted on the chalice be a member of the senpai's remains.
>>
>>31117335
>Chinese magic dragon steel
>>
>>31116726
What the fuck are you taking about? He's correct
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEKDprMUEmw
Reasonably well made sword vs wallhanger
>>
>>31116593
Real deal damascus steel was steel forged in Damascus and was famed for being wavy, but we don't know how the made it wavy. Doesn't mean it would be better steel than well tempered modern steel though. Good modern steel is better than anything people had in the past.
>>
>>31115824
It's shit and won't serve any purpose.

Also, modern "Damascus"is literally just a pretty pattern. It adds no quality at all.
>>
actual functional modern Damascus (or pattern welded steel for the pedantic cunts out there) is made from 15n20 and 1084 steel, the 15n20 is sort of stainless and the 1084 is simple high carbon steel, when it's finished they dip it in acid which will patina the 1084 but leave the 15n20 shiny, so if you get a functional Damascus sword then it will already be half stainless anyway

Damascus is gaudy as fuck though, it's like putting neons and spinning rims on your car. If you really wanted something interesting to pass down then you should commission a custom sword from one of the many sword makers out there, can usually be had for under a grand
>>
>>31116707
No they can't, no sword in the history of the world has ever "cut" another one in half, plenty would have snapped due to being poorly made, but even a soft as fuck mild steel blade would only be left with a notch in it after being hit with a real sword.
>>
File: kriegmesser.jpg (524KB, 900x658px) Image search: [Google]
kriegmesser.jpg
524KB, 900x658px
You should get an Model 1860 cavalry sabre.
Or a cutlass.

Or a Kriegmesser
>>
>>31118111
That didn't cut it in half you fucking idiot, it snapped it, hitting it with any old piece of metal would have snapped that.
>>
>>31115996
>falling for the college meme
kek.
I went to tech school for 9 months and now I have no student debt and make more than anyone in my family who ever went to college and had to pay back student loans.
>>
>>31118723
Making more money than your famalamadingdong by attending one of those shady schools that they advertise to stoners on Adult Swim doesn't mean anything other than that your family chronically underachieves.

Get back to us when there's a president who majored in motorcycle repair.
>>
>>31117442
Have their names, dates of birth and death, and their quote/nickname/slogan microetched on each gem.

This ruby? Carl "burpin' uncle" carlson, 1978-2015, be the best and fuck the rest.
>>
>>31116017
>If you're buying a "family heirloom sword" in 2016 then you've got some pretty serious issues with life choices in general, which generally doesn't translate to financial well being.

But "muh heirloom gun from my father" is perfectly fine, and the mark of a well-balanced individual with no issues, excellent life choices, and total financial stability, right?
>>
>>31119509
>But "muh heirloom gun from my father" is perfectly fine, and the mark of a well-balanced individual with no issues, excellent life choices, and total financial stability, right?

Seeing as how he probably used it for hundreds of hunting trips and taught you to use it as your first gun, and it has a history, use, stories and memories, yes. Yes it is.
>>
>>31116017
How else am I supposed to exact revenge for a slight against my family?
>>
File: 1458948628761.jpg (31KB, 360x306px) Image search: [Google]
1458948628761.jpg
31KB, 360x306px
>>31115824

I'll help you, OP.

Get a sword that actually fucking works. First watch this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDaMR8ifEnU

Then go to 'kult of Athena'
http://www.kultofathena.com/

Get something in the right price-range for you, that is listed as battle ready.If you want it to be an heirloom, you better actually practice with swordsmanship, otherwise its just a trinket.
Thread posts: 97
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.