[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why don't we just put cheap phone electronics into an AA

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

Why don't we just put cheap phone electronics into an AA missile and run an app differentiating planes from flares and other countermeasures(just like you have apps that can recognize where faces are on pictures) and BAM, you have an AA missile that can't be fooled?

I'm sure that if that worked somebody would have already done it by now. What am I missing?
>>
>>31114417
it definitely works but military tech has been behind modern computers for a long time now. I mean, the F22 is running like what, 200Mhz?
>>
>>31114417
Image processing algorithms are expensive to write. And then you need to design the missile itself, which requires a fair amount of knowledge in aerospace engineering.

You'd be better off using FPV hardware, and guiding the missile yourself.
>>
>>31114417

a shitton bureaucracy/government contract shenanigans and the technology has only been viable for about ~5 years

it's why everything electronic in the military is 20 years behind where it should be
>>
>>31114462
>>31114446
>>31114433
>>31114417

Just wait until the next big war. Our tech will be advanced x10 come peace time.
>>
>>31114602
>there will never be a big war that gives us the tech to travel through space

You could put a huge ass cannon on the moon to bombard earth, then we need a big ass cannon on mars to bombard moon and so on. Then you need mobile space stations with huge ass cannons to bombard the planets. A new space race. No religion or idiology, just war and science.
>>
>>31114417
Would you like to write this app?
>>
>>31115235
Sounds like the 30th millennia senpai.
>>
>>31115252
I fucking detest people that say shit like this
similar line of reasoning people use on shit like
'Singer: sings averagely'
'Judge: sorry but you aren't good enough'
'My Mum: Well I would like to see you do better!'
>>
>>31114417
Because shit like the Stinger is already field reprogrammable and has not only IR sensors but UV as well.
>>
>>31115235
>implying we don't already have that but it's hidden away
>>
>>31114417
What would be the bare minimum to nigrig an anti air guided small arm?

Other than a fucking magnet glued to a model rocket.
>>
Because military stuff has to last decades, endure abuse and weather and still function.
>>
>>31115349
No lewds on Christian imageboard, please.
>>
>>31114417
Cheap electronic will not hold G-force.
>>
>>31114433
Other way around freind. The reason they haven't updated that tech is because there is no reason to at the moment. Wouldn't be worth it.
>>
>>31114417
IDEA
IDEA
IDEA

Let's use CAPTCHA to train a system or develop an algorithm to visually differentiate between aircraft and countermeasures.

>Select all images with Sukhoi
>>
>>31114417
AKA Electro-optical guidance, less precise than radar.
>>
>>31114417
hobby-modified off the shelf drones have already been used in combat.

Yes it can be done.
>>
>>31117981
>Not enough images selected, please try again
>Select all images with Sukhoi
>See ground
>Fails test 50 times
>You have been banned from F-4F ICE Chan
>>
>>31114433
F-22 is hardened against EMP and its several GHz. Its top-top of the line from a few years ago.
>>
>>31115235
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_D3DiTaeB8
>>
Existing missiles already use imaging IR sensors with various filters; which is one of the main reasons why flares are supplemented by DIRCM. Your scenario is real...20 years ago that is.

What you're missing: cheap phone electronics are shit reliability at high vibration/temp brackets and don't hold a candle to high-end quantum-well IR chips for range and resolution, especially range (worth repeating).

tl;dr you're talking about reinventing an AK...in the year 2016 when M4s with ACOGs are the preferred weapon.
>>
>>31114433
Yes, it's behind in computing power...which is completely irrelevant unless you're running a Skynet-level AI on every plane.

Combat doesn't take a lot of processing power. Going to the moon needed...slide rules. Big numbers are useless without powerful software, and specialized high-reliability software for planes doesn't need big numbers.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.