[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any /k/ fighter pilots/airmen here? What are the consequences

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4

File: F16F_Rafale_2.jpg (238KB, 1200x1697px) Image search: [Google]
F16F_Rafale_2.jpg
238KB, 1200x1697px
Any /k/ fighter pilots/airmen here?

What are the consequences of accidentally pulling an ejection seat cord, How easy is it for this to happen? It seems like all it needs is for you to accidentally snag something on it and pull.
>>
>>31112175
>What are the consequences of accidentally pulling an ejection seat cord
Do you like to fly a desk?
>>
>>31112175
Ejectors seats are a myth.

I assume you have to tank hard on a lever like dear life yank. Not normal oops I ejected.
>>
>>31112175
>lose million-billion dollar plane
I'd imagine not so great?
>>
>>31112187
no fucking shit
>>
I know its from Cracked but yknow its from a legit pilot:
When you pull the ejection handle, a number of things happen in quick succession. The first is that explosive bolts and/or detonating cord activate to blow the windscreen (or canopy) apart. At the same time, straps around your legs pull your feet to the seat so that your legs aren't torn off at the knees. Next, a rocket under your seat lights off and shoots you up to 200 feet in the air, subjecting you to, in extreme cases, upward of 20 Gs. For reference, at 20 Gs, an average guy now weighs as much as a full-size sedan. This entire process takes about 0.1 seconds. Once you're clear of the jet, your seat separates from you and automatically opens your parachute, a handy feature considering that there's a good chance you'll be knocked unconscious from the shock of ejecting.
Just by pulling the ejection handle, there's a 1-in-10 chance you won't survive. And even when the sequence goes perfectly, you'll most likely suffer some pretty major injuries. Since you're typically flying when you eject, that means as soon as you clear the cockpit, you're greeted by several-hundred-mile-per-hour winds that can send your arms and legs flapping gaily in the breeze like one of those wacky inflatable dancing dudes -- only you're made of meat, and your bones break in the process.Roughly one-third of pilots who eject suffer compression fractures to their spine.

Kara Hultgreen, the first female fighter pilot in the Navy, died from an ejection mishap. She was coming in to land and lost an engine on her F-14, which started rolling to the side uncontrollably. She pulled the ejection handle, but the F-14 is a two-seater, so the back seat ejected first and the pilot followed a split second later. The guy in back ejected sideways and survived, but by the time Hultgreen's seat fired, the Tomcat had rolled upside down and she ejected straight into the water, killing her instantly.
>>
>>31112238
this.
also if it were done on accident....you are never flying again.
>>
>>31112187
Not to mention all those broken bones and fucked up organs from the small explosion underneath you. Movies don't like to mention that.
>>
>>31112258
That's kinda exaggerated, they can be dangerous and they do compress the spine, but you make it sound like it turns your insides into a blender.
>>
>>31112175
A typical ejection handle has a 40lb pull and 1 inch travel; it's not impossible to accidentally pull, but the seat isn't armed until the pilot is in the seat and ready, and pilots have to be a lot more careful about a lot more than just the ejection seat handle anyway.

Ultimately, you don't want that handle to be too hard to pull; if you need to pull it, you need to be able to do it on the first attempt, very quickly.
>>
>>31112175
It is between your legs, there is nothing else there that you would need to touch than the ejection handle, it wont snag on to anything, the fact that there haven't been accidental ejections should say something.

>>31112238
Atleast in the F-18, you are pushed out with the seat by a piston that is powered by gunpowder, the rocket engine activates once you are clear of the aircraft.

Modern western seats aren't as violent as they are made out to be, or atleast that's what I was told, unlike older russian seats which flew you out with a single bang instead of nice and smooth rocket engine.
>>
>>31112340
>It is between your legs, there is nothing else there that you would need to touch than the ejection handle, it wont snag on to anything

Fuck you, I'm hung like a horse!
>>
>>31112378
Are you really, sweetie?
>>
>>31112378
>be anon
>on boring taxi to other airfield
>start thinking about dat sweet ass
>ensuring boner pulls ejection handle
>>
Start IFS in November so can't say what the reality is, but on my 1/C I was told a story of a MIDN on cruise, riding in the back seat of an f-14. Mid air collision between 2 f-14s. Pilot ejects, MIDN is left in the jet, probably in shock and confused as shit. He ended up ejecting safely too.

All I know is you get 2 elections before you're grounded for good.
>>
>>31112409
>All I know is you get 2 elections before you're grounded for good.
Sucks for Obama then
>>
>>31112340
Inna Iraq I saw a safety bulletin that told is not to fuck with MiG ejection seats
>2 Soldiers fuck with MiG
>One straps himself into the seat
>pulls ejection lever
>resulting blast kills his buddy who was hanging from the cockpit
>Soldier is shot 200feet into the air
>the parachute did not deploy
>2 dead Soldiers from one ejection
>>
>>31112537
Yep, it's kinda funny how a safety device is pretty much the most unintentionally dangerous thing on the jet.
>>
>>31112604
and the only thing that still worked after 12-15 years of sitting in the desert
>>
>>31112292
>>31112258

Modern seats aren't nearly as bad as old ones.

If you get in the proper position when you eject you'll be able to walk away just fine.
>>
There is a seat saftey pin that literally pins the handle to the seat so it can't be pulled. This is the first thing that gets safed after engines shut down. It is also usually the last pin that gets pulled before aircrew gets in.
>>
>>31112707

>It's the last pin that gets pulled before the aircrew gets in

The safety pin for the seat is removed prior to takeoff and is absolutely in before getting in/out of the jet.

You never remove the pin unless youre strapped in the seat and you are in a position that pulling the handle wouldn't kill you.
>>
>>31112612
Russian stuff is built to last, undeniable
>>
>>31112537
>dying in a glorious russian fighter jet
Could have had a worse death.
>>
>>31112175
I met a guy at an American Counsel of the Blind who was a test pilot in the 60s and lost his vision from ejecting from a aircraft. I think the canopy didn't come off or not soon enough and he suffered a tbi. Loosing +90% of his vision. Cool guy
>>
>>31112612

I think there's plenty of mines out there that still work too
>>
Accidentally? Broken bones, trauma, 15g's of force on you in a split second, literally blink and miss it. Imagine if the hand of god came down to sucker punch you and you magically appeared somewhere else in space and time in an instant. Add that and have every part of your body suddenly in tons of pain.

Plus you never touch a plane again

>>31112186
>Ejectors seats are a myth.
um no

>>31112630
because we definitely, completely phase out old technology throughout the entire military once a replacement comes along
>>
>>31112175
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2009/nov/02/south-africa-passenger-ejector-seat
>>
>>31112175
3 ejections and you are done flying. Each ejection may you a little shorter
>>
File: FuckinGoneF-18.jpg (149KB, 920x763px) Image search: [Google]
FuckinGoneF-18.jpg
149KB, 920x763px
From working with F/A-18 Legacy's I can say there is a lot of precautions to make is very difficult to "accidentally" pull the ejection handle.
>there's safety pins in both the seat and canopy that are only removed right before flight
>There's a safety lever that arms the seat that only that pilot and AME's can touch
>to even enter the cockpit you require a seat checkout qual which tells you what not to touch, and what to check before you enter the cockpit, like pins and safety lever.
>>
>>31114861
You don't know what you're talking about.

ALL modern seats use rocket motors to activate the seat so it doesn't instantly take you to 15G's like an old jet (T-37)

>You can eject and keep flying in your career, don't be a retard
>>
>>31112537

Here, a member of the L-39 ground crew shot himself through the hangar roof because they forgot to remove a few circuit breakers which prevent seat operation.
>>
File: image.jpg (64KB, 640x844px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
64KB, 640x844px
>>31112175
>>
>>31117631
I know a guy who was a weapons fitter during the first Gulf war, he saw a guy launch a parachute deployment pole through his shoulder while fitting an ejector seat.
>>
i know three people personally who have ejected from fighters earlier in their career. all still flying.

>>31112340

there are side grip ejection seats too. T-6, T-38, F-16, and F-22 are center, F-15 of various flavors are side grip.
>>
>>31117705
How fucked are you in this scenario?
>>
>>31118359
Not at all
>>
File: 1440190596370.jpg (177KB, 1000x971px) Image search: [Google]
1440190596370.jpg
177KB, 1000x971px
>>31118332
Some have both, as well. I have an old Martin-Baker bucket from an F-4 and it has a side grip and a center handle. (The latter is currently missing though, the cable was cut when I got it and has disappeared in years of storage and moving the seat around.)
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.