[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /K/ what's the best 45-70 for large bears? I can't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: images.jpg (8KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
8KB, 300x168px
Hey /K/ what's the best 45-70 for large bears? I can't decide if penetration is better or if fragmentation is. I'm not sure not tough bearskin is and if the fragments will not hit any vital organs. But I also don't know if some of those extreme penetrator bullets will just pass through and piss it off.
>>
>>31096906
Fragmentation is always shitty for hunting. You want penetration and expansion.

Hornady FTX or hardcast lead.
>>
Get the biggest softpoints with the most powder that you can. If it doesn't feel like the bear mauled your shoulder you need to go hotter.
>>
>>31096906
>fragmentation

No. Hardcast is a go to for a lot of people in burr country
>>
>>31096906
its the muscle/huge volume of flesh thats more of an issue than its actual skin
>>
>>31097023
and its layered skull is fucking armor and enough to give 45-70 a run for its money.
>>
>>31097019
This. Nobody I know of in Montana loads anything else.
>>
>>31096906
dense bone and the fact that bears can be fucking 4 feet thick with possibly half a foot of bone to pass through total

cast lead is generally the anti-bear load. the size of the animal and thickness of it's bones are going to negate alot of the damage JHPs are going to do, unless you feel like putting 5-6 rounds into it instead of 1 cast lead round busting a 3 inch hole all the way thru it's torso
>>
>>31097050
No, not really. Mini and musket balls with soft ass lead sure, 45-70 split it from asshole to appetite. Go Google bear head shots and tell me what you find
>>
get a lever gun and have each round be a different one, prepardeness anon.
>>
Wide flat nose cast lead with a gas check and load spicey.
>>
50 BMG is the way to go for bears
>>
>>31096906
Clearly you need to get a falling-block rifle and load it as hot as you can.
>>
File: GGGGGGGGG.png (207KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
GGGGGGGGG.png
207KB, 400x400px
45-70?

wtf?

You need BRRRRRRRRRRRRRT for bears anon.

sage for summer faggotry
>>
>>31100794
Why not a full auto rifle in fudds five sebuntea.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.