[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Will there ever be a time where gen 3/ gen 4 nods will be cheap

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 7

File: 1467442048450.jpg (132KB, 470x456px) Image search: [Google]
1467442048450.jpg
132KB, 470x456px
Will there ever be a time where gen 3/ gen 4 nods will be cheap and widespread to the point where insurgents and other irregular forces can gain a lot of access to them?
>>
>>31083067
Sure, when 1st world forces are using Gen 5 and 6 NODs as standard issue.

Fighters in the middle east have a fuck ton of Gen 2 and Gen 2+ night vision right now.
>>
Yeah obviously, just not any time soon.
>>
>>31083067

Yes. Obviously. But at that point everyone who matters will be using something much much better.
>>
>>31083067
tangentially-related question: why don't people use IR spam as a offensive tactic against NOD users? Disabling night vision and leaving the user stuck in the dark sounds like a solid idea IMO
>>
>>31083326
IR emitter is basically a target saying "shoot here".
Nods are adjustable, you'd be able to clearly see it.
>>
>>31083571
>IR emitter is basically a target saying "shoot here".
A simple (IR) LED thrower is less than a dollar and can be programmed to appear and then turn off. You can seed the terrain in these and keep the opposing force on their toes for a long time while you position yourself.
>>
>>31083798
I think you're both vastly under estimating how much work that would be, and vastly over estimating how effective it would be.

For the time and effort of seeding an entire area in IR emitters which would at best be a nuisance, somebody could plant a fuckload of IEDs. Plus, it would be stretching supplies of wiring, batteries, solder, man hours, etc which could all be put to more effective use.

AND you are leaving a bunch of free pieces of evidence all over the battlefield which can be collected.

TLDR, a terrible, terrible idea.
>>
>>31083326
Well some people think it's a good idea. I've heard a few people advocate for having your laser unit activate the flood and the IR laser simultaneously and trying to white out your adversary's NODs is one of the reasons. On the other hand this is only viable in relatively short ranges and when the light is directed pretty much straight at your adversary.
>>
>>31083864
So you have no idea what a thrower is, yet you need to be verbose.

Have you ever served?
>>
>>31085120
How is any of that invalid? It's a lot of work for minimal benefit at best, it takes up a lot of time that could be better spent doing something else, and it leaves collectible intelligence material all over the field.
>>
>>31085216
Let us take this slowly.
Again: have you served?
>>
>>31085625
Yeah. So tell me how this wouldn't be a huge waste of time to set up compared to what else the time and resources could be geared towards?
>>
>>31085625
quit being an asshole anon
>>
>>31083102
I think this is the key here.
The gap in technology will always be huge
>>
>the year 2099
>insurgents are running around with scars, ak74m's and m4's
>gen 4 night vision
>mixture of multicam and maybe kryptek

I can dig it
>>
>>31083067
What's gen 4?
>>
>>31087352
misleading terminology that doesn't really exist yet

right now the hot stuff is fused goggle systems and white phosphor tubes
>>
>>31083798
>I have no idea what autogating is: The Post
>>
>>31088040
Well, on most autogated NODs if the light was intense enough, it would cause the NODs to turn off for a second, but it's a simple fix for the user to just hit the switch to turn them back on.

So yeah, this is the equivalent of a battlefield prank more than any kind of useful weapon.
>>
>>31087352
>>31087528
interesting, gen 4 doesn't actually exist. Thank you for correcting me.
>>
>>31083571
>>31083798
>>31083864

>A cup candle with a tin foil behind it literally does the exact same job
Over loads gen 1 + 2 night vision because it cant adjust to the fickler of the candle quick enough and shuts off
Gen 3+ its super annoying and might even be slighty convicing of a tank batallion if your on watch doing nothing long enough.
>>
>>31085625
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem
>>
>>31085742
Only if you're a poorfag.
>>
File: 1471857097124.jpg (107KB, 550x634px) Image search: [Google]
1471857097124.jpg
107KB, 550x634px
What about White Phosphor NVG?
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (52KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
52KB, 1280x720px
>>31089270
Whoops, wrong pic.
>>
>>31083067
I wouldn't be surprised if they had thermal cameras by now, just because they technically have the funds to buy them though a proxy.
>>
>>31083326
IR lights (I.E. T-62 turret light) were made for early NV vision brightness. I doubt that brightness to the point of blinding would work for preset adjustment cameras.
>>
>>31083067
Will i get on a watchlist if i buy a gen3 goggle, or NV or thermal sights?
>>
So what are the best NVG I can buy at the market currently?

Don't care about the price, i just want the absolute best
>>
File: 1451828659656.jpg (369KB, 1024x749px) Image search: [Google]
1451828659656.jpg
369KB, 1024x749px
>>31089624
>Will i get on a watchlist if i buy a gen3 goggle, or NV or thermal sights?

No. Farmers and hunters use them all the time. It's the same if you ask if you're on a watchlist for buying a firearm.

Also the feds have bigger fish to fry than the average law abiding gun owner.
>>31089632
Probably GPNVG-18's. They give you over 2x the field of view of a regular monocle. Don't quote me on this, I don't know shit about NODs.

Unrelated note, a really good video by Bill Blowers on night vision. Guy really knows his shit and it's cool he made a video with SureFire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-I0yEwmu1Y&list
>>
>>31083067

I wish I had 3 or 4 grand to blow on a PVS-14. Alas, I'm barely about to machine my first suppressor. :(
>>
>>31089657
>GPNVG-18
Those are only available to military and police.
Whats the best I can buy as a civvie?
>>
File: Helpful Review.jpg (89KB, 670x356px) Image search: [Google]
Helpful Review.jpg
89KB, 670x356px
>>31089676
>>31089657

>GPNVG-18's

That helpful review on Optics Planet, tho.
>>
>>31089676
>Those are only available to military and police.

To my knowledge, you can technically buy them as a civvie, you just need to buy it second hand from a police but it is FROWNED upon by the company. They cost ~$30,000 so fuck that.
>>
sand niggers are too stupid to use nvg
>>
>>31085686
>huge waste of time
In my time we didn't consider tripwires to be a waste of time. Perhaps we were not as edgy as you.

>>31085720
>I don't like being called out as a basement kommando.
I guess asking is bad in a place dedicated to unfounded bombastic statements.

>>31088526
>Ad hominem (Latin for "to the man" or "to the person"[1]), short for argumentum ad hominem, is a logical fallacy in which an argument is rebutted by attacking the character, motive, or other attribute of the person making the argument, or persons associated with the argument, rather than attacking the substance of the argument itself.

OK, asking a question is a personal attacks? See above.

>>31088190
>>A cup candle with a tin foil behind it literally does the exact same job
This guy gets it.
The Serbs used candles with great success in te Balkan wars.
>>
File: image.jpg (744KB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
744KB, 3264x2448px
Mine okay?
>Before
>>
File: image.jpg (729KB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
729KB, 3264x2448px
>>31090833
>after
>>
>>31083326
ok, you clearly can't into autogating.
>>
I remember way back like years ago one of the first isis videos, from when before they were called isis, and were still only in iraq, was them hitting up iraqi army and police checkpoints and they were kitted out with suppressed m4s, nvgs, laser sights.
I wondered at length where they got that gear and what happened to it since, as i've never seen any of it in any of their videos since.
I guess they just sold it on the black market once they ran out of batteries/ammo.
>>
>>31093022
They either killed Iraqi military forces for it, or they bought it on the downlow from Iraqi military guys.

In Afghanistan lossage of gear from the ANA, either with it being sold, or with an ANA trooper up and deserting with his gear was not uncommon. Also, while it was basically unheard of for US convoys or outposts to get wiped out, it was much easier for insurgents to take on isolated ANA equivalents, kill or drive off all of them, collect up the gear, and flee before backup arrived.
>>
>>31093022
And to answer your question of where the gear went, they probably still have it, but ISIS has exploded in size and that kind of gear is still somewhat limited. So really, it's not that they lost it, it's that with the increased numbers of fighters, it's getting lost in the shuffle when it comes to finding photo evidence.
>>
>>31083067
It inevitable, military technology will eventually trickle down to less advanced military/paramilitary factions as it gets replaced by advanced nations.

Look at stuff tinpot dictators have at their disposal (mig 23s, T72s, AK-47s), and imagine it in WW2 or Korea.
>>
>>31089676
Probably a pair of Sentinels or BNVDGs. Depends on whether you want fixed dual tube or the ability to raise one tube and use the set as a monocular situationally. Also since these are civvy systems there's the option of buying them with really good tubes or shit tubes. So if money is no object you want the top tier white phosphor tubes (not the shitty gen2 stuff)
>>
>>31083067
When thermals become GI
>>
I have a Gen 2 arma sight clip on medium range. I think the sight picture is awesome. cost me 2k tho
>>
>>31087352
>>31087528

>misleading terminology that doesn't really exist yet

Yeah, it's currently a gimmick by manufacturers to draw in naive buyers.

Generation 4 will most likely be digital. There is a company called Intevac that produces proprietary sensors known as Electron Bombarded Active Pixel Sensors, which are basically photocathodes coupled to ultrasensitive CMOS sensors. The tech looks extremely promising, it's currently being used in the F-35 fighter's helmet for night vision instead of conventional nods. Also, since the output of the new sensors is digital, it is much easier to overlay/fuse other inputs such as map data or thermal imaging.
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.