[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /k/ know about East Timor? From what I've been

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

File: australian-soldiers-380x253.jpg (37KB, 380x253px) Image search: [Google]
australian-soldiers-380x253.jpg
37KB, 380x253px
What does /k/ know about East Timor?

From what I've been reading, it's pretty much the Australians Iraq, but on a island.
>>
Just a good xp grind m8e
>>
>>31065558
Not even close to Iraq.
More like martial law type duties.
>>
>>31065558
Originally was a Portugeese colony. Later declared independence but was Leftist-leaning. Due to Domino theory, the US supported the Indonesian invasion. Recently Indonesia left and they got independent. Strayans see this as a chance for landgrab and expand influence so now it's basically an Australian 'protectorate'. Fun fact: Timor means East in Malay so the country is East East.
>>
>>31065558
I did two tours there, it was pretty painless and mostly quiet.
Indo's took one look and noped the fuck out of there and a couple of pro-indo militias eventually gave up, rest of it was just police-actions to stabilise the country until they got their government sorted out.
>>
>>31065558
I fucking hate east Timor because it has a stupid name
Norway kinda sucks as well
>>
They have hilarious fly spray commercials.

Where my, where my people? Le numero un!
>>
The TL;DR is that Indonesia has a history of invading/genociding the smaller states left over from colonialism.

The Australians got sick of boat people, and kept the Indonesians at bay long enough for East Timor to hold a referendum and become independent.

Pretty good job there. Nothing gigantic, but it helped a lot.
>>
unrelated can anyone in the adf tell me what "chocos" are? i think it means grunts but im not sure
>>
>>31069567
Not in the Military but chocos are Reserves
Full timers aren't too fond of em
>>
>>31069622
ah makes sense
>>
>>31066988
>Timor means East in Malay so the country is East East
I fucking hate this. If Timor meant "east" in English, it would be "East East." But, Timor is not an English word, so it doesn't mean shit. My autistic rant of the day.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (49KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
49KB, 1280x720px
>>31069626

What you don't hear is that they don't like us because we make more money than them. We earn the same base wage but reserves get it tax free so when we go and play enemy for the regs we are individually making more then them. Depending on what you do for a job you can get sweet gubment subsidies as well, I work for health so I get 2 weeks reserve leave a year. I'll be doing a nice relaxing enemy party for fagregs and getting pay for my civie job as well as choc money.

Lifeisgood.jpg
>>
>>31066988
>Fun fact: Timor means East in Malay so the country is East East.

The english "East" is not a word in Malay.
>>
>>31069545
Indonesia is the end product of what happens when muslims have the upper-hand in a region.
>>
>>31069972
??
Of the two or three predominantly Muslim areas in the world, Muslims are the least dominant in SEA, compared to the middle east and North Africa
>>
What the hell have OP been reading
>>
>>31070068

Indonesia is enormous, almost as enormous as a faggot like you.
>>
>>31069622
I didn't have any issue with them, did reserves for 2 years before going full time just to figure out if I liked it.

>>31066988
>>31069675
Its generally called Timor-Leste by the locals, Leste is Portuguese for 'east' as they where a Porto-colony for a long time, then got rid of them back in the 70s, had a bit of a civil war and then Indonesia annexed them
>>
>>31065558
Read Counterinsurgency and Accidental Guerrilla by David Killcullen who fought in the East Timor insurgency and describes it. Read all his books just because they are amazing.
>>
Kinda off topic, but as a foreign national, can you maintain a dual citizenship if you join the ADF?

I know the Navy is looking for AEGIS techs and pretty much anyone with a TS clearence.
>>
>>31072602
Fairly sure you can if you're from one of our friendly countries (ANZUS or Five Power) and have prior military + skillset
(Basically NZ, Canada, US and UK)
>>
>>31069711
This is true. I work at a University. If I joined reserves, I'd get 4 weeks paid leave from Uni, plus reserve pay tax free. It's a double-dipfest.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.