[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>tfw nighttime /k/ Question gents, is cashless ammunition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 6

File: 1454115647581.jpg (245KB, 947x1205px) Image search: [Google]
1454115647581.jpg
245KB, 947x1205px
>tfw nighttime /k/

Question gents, is cashless ammunition the next big thing for military small arms? The LSAT program (which I imagine has been renamed since 2014) has been successful and I imagine material science has vastly improved since the G11.
>>
>>31046109
I'd like to think cashless ammunition would be a HUGE draw to any military, LEO, or even civilian consumer. Imagine not having to pay for ammunition, I mean even if it was bottom shelf crap you could fuel your organization on it theoretically until all the lead was used up.
>>
File: 4.73x33DM11caselessG11.jpg (243KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
4.73x33DM11caselessG11.jpg
243KB, 1600x1200px
>>31046109

Caseless, you tard. :)

And polymer cases is likely to come before caseless.
>>
>>31046109

Well isuppose any time you buy ammo online or use a card at the LGS youre purchasing cashless ammo.

Personally i am cash payment master race.
>>
>>31046109
You asked this two days ago.
>>
>>31046126
So does that whole block burn or what?
>>
File: HK_LMG11.jpg (88KB, 891x635px) Image search: [Google]
HK_LMG11.jpg
88KB, 891x635px
>>31046133
>So does that whole block burn or what?

Yup. That's what caseless does. The whole block burns. The stuff that doesn't burn (like the primer cap & plastic cap in front) gets kicked out with the bullet.

Also, everyone keeps talking about the G11, but why doesn't the LMG11 ever get mentioned? It's design was even more insane. Bricks of ammo. Fuck belts.
>>
>>31046162
It feels like the propellant to bullet ratio is fucking huge.
>>
>>31046126
Where does the heat go? Has Magpul gone too far?
>>
File: 1323717798201.jpg (742KB, 1919x2668px) Image search: [Google]
1323717798201.jpg
742KB, 1919x2668px
>>31046181
>Where does the heat go?

Heat management is pretty much the number one issue in caseless design. Hence why we'll see military issue polymer cases before wide spread use of caseless.

Much of the heat is retained in the action in modern caseless designs.
>>
The only way i see it working is through the use of a disposable clip or mag that acts as a heat sink for the weapon and is discarded once empty, hence discarding the heat in the way metallic cases do.
Something akin to how the guns work in Mass Effect 2 and 3, where they use heat coils that discard.
>>
>>31046231
Also easily forgotten is that with caseless ammo, the propellant is exposed to the elements in a way that cartridges arnt. Steel or brass shells will help protect the powder inside when properly sealed, and can survive water and cold.
>>
File: M-8 Avenger.png (76KB, 512x256px) Image search: [Google]
M-8 Avenger.png
76KB, 512x256px
>>31046109
>is cashless ammunition the next big thing for military small arms?

Nope. Caseless won't take off until we have a better combustant, and by the time we get chem engineering to that point something more like the M8 will be realistic.
>>
>>31046239
I'm dumb but couldn't ammo cans and magazines minimize that? Loose ammo seems to be a civilian thing. Always same ammo in clips, cans, or bandoliers.
>>
>>31046256
>>31046239
Resurgence of weird stripper clips ?
>>
>>31046256
to a point but exposure still happens. that was one of the issues with previouse caseless trials.
>>
>>31046325
potentialy a mblock style clip could be used but the trick is effectively transfering exess heat to it.
>>
File: G11.gif (217KB, 160x120px) Image search: [Google]
G11.gif
217KB, 160x120px
>>31046346
>to a point but exposure still happens. that was one of the issues with previouse caseless trials.

Which is also why G11 ammo was in sealed "sticks" which were loaded onto the 3 mags (for 150 rounds total) as needed.
>>
>>31046197
>Heat management is pretty much the number one issue in caseless design.
Dynamit Nobel solved that.

Remaining issues are:
>clearing malfunctioning actions (this depends more on the action than anything)
>battery life
>ammunition sensitivity (cracking and chipping, moisture)
>ammunition shelf-life (all existing 4.7mm caseless ammo is past it's best before date by now)
The 4.7mm caseless that H&K used also had some issues with icepicking as I recall hearing, but that's a matter of your loading.

I think caseless would have troubles making it in the civilian markets though, because brass already has the economy of scale, can be reloaded, and caseless offers only rate of fire, something which legality blocks the civilian market from getting any use out of.
>>
>>31046253
Sand sized round accelerated to near light speed.
Love it
>>
>>31046109
>cashless ammunition
Fuck off you commie faggot. I'm not going to subsidize ammo, pay for it yourself.
>>
>>31047234
Wouldn't work in real life. Compression heating would vaporize the projectile. It'd be like a shooting star.
>>
>>31046109
I think we'll see cased telescoping ammo first.

The heat sink and action access properties inherit in a cased ammo firearm are too large an advantage, and I don't think that the 1000+RPM ROF meme is actual as big of a game changer in a standard infantry rifle as we assumed in the 70s and 80s.

Bigger force multipliers are going to be things like smart optics, battle field networking, and increased distribution of guided and explosive weapons.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.