[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

"I hate war as only a soldier who has lived it can, only

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 109
Thread images: 14

File: based eisenhower.jpg (195KB, 800x452px) Image search: [Google]
based eisenhower.jpg
195KB, 800x452px
"I hate war as only a soldier who has lived it can, only as one who has seen its brutality, its futility, its stupidity."

how does /k/ feel about this quote?
>>
>>31043205
He's right. Harasses here try to say that they want to go to war and see battle but in reality they would hate it. No thanks to the military. I would rather not be a political tool for the US. STEM for the win.
>>
>>31043205

He is right. Romanticizing war like some of us here on /k/ seem to like to do is pretty stupid. Might be a fun little fantasy to pretend to be an unconquerable force of reckoning on the battlefield mowing down your enemies like wheat to a scythe. But that isn't the reality of war. War is not honorable, war is an ugly and revolting matter that brings out the worst qualities in a man.
>>
>>31043256
Fucking kike autocorrect. *HARDASSES FOR FUCK SAKE.
>>
>>31043205
War is human nature no matter how much you want to live in peace. There will always be someone who has conflicting ideals and will fight for them.
I'm all for a hippy paradise where we fuck all day and frolicking in a flower field but im not desulional and realize that there are others with different ideals and don't want to see my ideals flourish.
>>
>>31043205
I hate war too. I think it's cool to study and learn about but it's disgusting seeing people killing each other; even worse when it's over stupid shit like religion.
Now when we have to fight zombies or aliens, THAT's a war I can get behind.
>>
>>31043305
>War is human nature

Child spotted
>>
>>31043205
I hate war too, but at the same time I can understand admiring what one's ancestors fought for.

Whether it be for country or ideals.
>>
>>31043309
If aliens actually have the technology to get to Earth from outside the Solar System, there won't be a war, we either accept their ultimatum or we get btfo. Zombies are just stupid, the problem solves itself if it's exposed to sunlight for long enough.
>>
>>31043305
This wouldn't be a problem if everyone were libertarian. People could have different ideals and values but nobody would try to fight over differences in said ideals.
>>
>>31043312
So why don't we just stop fighting?
>>
>>31043348
No, I don't mean aliens invading earth, I'm talking about humans colonizing other planets
>>
>>31043350
The problem is not everyone is libertarian and not everyone wants to be libertarian.
>>
File: Nietszche on society.jpg (929KB, 2048x1218px) Image search: [Google]
Nietszche on society.jpg
929KB, 2048x1218px
>>31043205

He fought in two world wars that killed over 100 million people combined.

Having any other attitude after that experience would be irrational.
>>
He never experienced the rigors or war as a junior officer in WW1 so I could give a shit what he thinks.
>>
>>31043356

Wars are conscious, deliberate events manufactured by a small group of politicians or the ruling classes, not some sort of spontaneous outpouring of human nature.
>>
>>31043391

>He never experienced the rigors or war as a junior officer in WW1 so I could give a shit what he thinks.

And you did?

Hot damn and I thought the last WWI vet died.
>>
>>31043374
Right, but wouldn't it be awesome if everyone were? Why can't people just let others live their lives the way they want? That's all I'm asking.
>>
>>31043421
>wars are not spontaneous outpouring of human nature
Know how I know you weren't old enough to understand the world properly on 9/11?
>>
>>31043452
>on 9/11

Sounds like you don't understand anything before, on or after 9/11.
>>
File: 1469906862933.gif (822KB, 600x366px) Image search: [Google]
1469906862933.gif
822KB, 600x366px
>>31043312
You are stupid.
>>
>>31043421
Explain Africa
>>
>>31043504
>niggers
all the explaining you need to do
>>
>>31043504
Same thing but with dictators and warlords
>>
>>31043516
Tribalism and the inability to think longterm and with compassion.

T. South African
>>
>>31043450
Totally agree, I want nothing more than to live in peace with everyone, but it's just not something I see as possible for us at the moment.
Maybe future generations will figure it out by I don't believe that we are capable of it at the present.
>>
>>31043504
>rulers and leaders don't exist in Africa

shieeet
>>
>>31043267
so what your saying is you'd rather do something than sit around and hope artillery misses you?
>>
>>31043494
>inb4 fallout intro and/or Blood Meridian quote
>>
File: InvertedIQbyCountry.png (115KB, 800x364px) Image search: [Google]
InvertedIQbyCountry.png
115KB, 800x364px
>>31043538
>iq by country
>>
>>31043205
hell Robert Lee said it the best
"it is good war is so terrible least we grow so fond of it."
[spoilersdon'tworkhere] My most vivid memory is on 9/11 I hadn't even turned 8. I can tell you the room I was in the model of TV I saw it on everything. We are still fight that war on terror and it has gotten worse. [/spolier]
>>
>>31043421
So why do we let ourselves be so easily hurdled into war without question?
Why don't we say no and stop fighting?
>>
>>31043623
You have no idea.
>>
>>31043654

That does not mean war is human nature, it means gullibility is human nature.
>>
File: image.jpg (58KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
58KB, 960x720px
>>31043205
>>
>>31043504
DeBeers and friends exploiting diamonds because Westerners are too stupid to realize how common diamonds actually are.

Africa is resource rich, everyone knows it. which is why nations have been fighting for its resources for centuries, same reason why the mid East and some extent SE Asia are fucked up.
>>
>>31043312
Your the child if you think war is entirely avoidable. If that were the case you wouldn't need to carry a self defense gun in inner city Chicago.
>>
>>31043744
>dat strawman tho
>confusing war with individual self-defense

at least try, kiddo
>>
>>31043350
Except libertarian ideaology is fucking retarded. Everyone would be at peace under a dictatorship and nothing else.
>>
>>31043786

You have a funny definition of peace.
>>
>>31043708
>deplete all the worlds resources
>peace reigns over all the earth

ok
>>
>>31043884
What was the point of your post?
>>
>>31043708

You realise that the stage for this was set and the show well underway before westerners really got involved, yeah? Read up on the Mfecane.
>>
>>31043761
War is violence and violence.is human nature you retarded fuck.
Wars were fought.before written word and yet you are here on a thaiwanese noodle board trying to tell.me.its all cause by gullability and corporations? Go fuck yourself. Next.you'll.tell me.riots are.cause led by conglomerates in an effort to raise prices of goods.
>>
>>31044074
>yet more strawmen and barely understandable gibberish

Try reading an anthropology book or two once you are old enough to get your own library card.

>inb4 misreading the conclusion in "war before civilization"
>>
>>31043623

Are you trying to argue against him or support him?
>>
>>31043800
It is peace but not prospering. They are not the same.
>>
>>31044130

Many would argue that North Koreans don't live in "peace" either, lack of prosperity aside.
>>
>>31044106
Not an argument. Sumerians went to war as did Aztecs and the people before them. And maybe before you get smug try to know what you're talking about you Fedora.
>>
>>31044181

That ancient civilizations with strict social hierarchies engaged in warfare only bolsters the fact that warfare is a social construct, not human nature.

>Fedora
>implying an obsession with violence is not a key trait of the fedora-tipping autist
>implying said autists don't support war because they like to fantasize about getting 1000 kill-streaks IRL
>>
>>31044233
You do realize there are literal biological responses in the human body which help it instigate and commit acts of violence? Amygdalic reactions, fight-or-flight responses, adrenal dumps, reflexive handballing and so on? While you could argue these responses exist outside of intrinsic meaning and are therefore their identification as preparatory for violence is a social construction, you're getting dangerously SJW-tier with the logic, as well as obnoxiously post-Modernist.

TL;DR You're being SJW-tier. Stop it,
>>
>>31044147
Tensions with the west aside, they pretty much do. Miserable peace, but peace nonetheless.
>>
>>31043623
>Argentina is whiiiiiiiite
>>
File: Cxn56nf.jpg (74KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
Cxn56nf.jpg
74KB, 500x375px
>>31044294
>still confusing individual adrenal reactions to the social activity that is war

Next you will say that Hitler's invasion of Poland was a hormonal response
>>
>>31044327

Well, either white or southeast Asian
>>
>>31044318

Living under constant threat of state terror is hardly peaceful.
>>
>>31043205
honestly

I was in the American-Iraq war, not the slogfest of WW1 or WW2 or anything else historically, but I loved every second. Not even the moments of danger, just being able to push myself and do better and better than I could, to be a member of the team and to drive that team to greatness was the greatest feeling I have ever felt.

May get a reply of "fucking recruiter", but I promise I am not. I liked the war I was in, I cannot speak for all of those who have seen war, just the same I think that Eisenhower could not speak for all of those who have seen war.

And no I have a sense of disconnect and overall careless attitude to life now that I have transitioned, so maybe I am a psychological outlier. No idea.
>>
>>31044370
WARGASM
A
R
G
A
S
M
>>
>>31044408

f
>>
File: kim jong un and scaredy girls.jpg (236KB, 2000x1162px) Image search: [Google]
kim jong un and scaredy girls.jpg
236KB, 2000x1162px
>>31044405
>>
>>31044370
Literally what is war except for a mass extension of the self en mass? War occurs because humans have hardwired into them the idea of undertaking violence in day to day life as a means of achieving desired results (survival, material gain, status, etc). War is literally nothing besides the extension of base human impulses and reflexes to a grand scale.

Violence is a method of problem solving intrinsic to humans. War is large numbers of humans committing violence to solve commonly perceived problems. Even if the perception of what problem has to be solved through violence is manipulated by elites, as you claim, this doesn't change any of the above. Violence is to man, many men make much violence, much violence committed by individuals in a common cause=war.

Stop being an asshole. I got two fucking humanities degrees, and I'm apparently less butthurt and tryhard than a guy with half an anthro degree. Stop trying to be the next great deconstructionist, and realize there are qualities and modes of action intrinsic to humanity.
>>
File: 77193.jpg (31KB, 332x500px) Image search: [Google]
77193.jpg
31KB, 332x500px
>>31043205
>as only a soldier who has lived it can, only as one who has seen its brutality, its futility, its stupidity

I'm looking into it and it doesn't even look like he went into battle... I do think I would prefer to have leaders with personal military experience though.
>>
>>31044233

You're ignoring that less strict social hierachies also engage in what could be called warfare, and that war is fundamentally driven by a desire of control over resources, individuals or territory. Only very recently in history has it become something engaged in over points of principal. Just because you can apply in-group/out group factors and abstract pressures to warfare does not mean they are responsible FOR warfare.

Or to put this another way, pretty much any social species that relies on territorial control as a means of survival and restricts access to that territory to an out-group would engage in what could be considered war in its most basic form; the violent pitting of one group of individuals against another. However, you're going to have a hard time convincing lions, gibbons and wolves that human social pressures apply to them. Being aggressive to neighbouring out-groups in social species is a positive mechanisim of survival.

This hasn't changes with Humans, though we express it in more abstract ways with the relief of survival pressures that technology has brought. We are still very much ruled by the irrational reptillian brain, including an innate distrust of outsiders and markedly faster violent response to harassment from members of an out-group compared to an in-group. This is sociology 101. A self professed anthropologist should know this shit.
>>
>>31043590

Not at all, im saying that being a soldier on the front lines is in no way, shape ir form a desireable position to be in. Whether it be in the trenches of France in WWI watching your friends and countrymen get mowed down by the thousands for inches of ground gained to riding around in a Humvee in Iraq knowing there is a good chance that you could hit an IED and be killed or horrifically maimed at any second. When it comes down to the bare bones of war, it is not patriotic. It's the most brutal test of survival.
>>
>>31044539
>and that war is fundamentally driven by a desire of control over resources, individuals or territory

If this were the case, warfare should be endemic in the poorer tribal cultures of the ancient world. Anthropological findings do not find this to be the case, there are many examples of rich, well-fed tribals engaging in ritual warfare, and poor tribes engaging in peaceful trade to make up for their lack of resources.

>This is sociology 101. A self professed anthropologist should know this shit.

It is a massive leap to go from distrust to outright organized violence. Kindly show a sociology 101 textbook that instructs warfare is innate human nature.
>>
>>31043205
>White people
war is hell... Peace and love for everyone. Make love not war guise!!'

>everyone else

ALLAH ACKUBAR
KILL WHITEY
VIVA LA RAZA
>>
>>31044515
>Literally what is war except for a mass extension of the self en mass

It would be conflict directed and organized by a small subset of the social classes for their own benefit. Your argument distills WW2 down to 50 million spontaneous murders, which is absurd.

>I got two fucking humanities degrees

Black studies and queer theory do not count, anon.
>>
>>31044629
And where does this small subset get the idea of violence en masse as a method of problem solving? Could it be an idea intrinsic to humanity?

Also I'm not sayig I'm a big fucking deal for two degrees (History and German by the way), but pointing out how even despite my deep levels of liberal arts bullshittery, I still manage to be less of a fucking idiot with social theory than some dipshit online who took half a degrees worth of shit-tier anthro courses.
>>
>>31044720
>Could it be an idea intrinsic to humanity?

No, that would be deliberate and conscious planning for self-gain.

I do like how you get all pissy at someone and assume they took "half a degrees worth" of "shit-tier courses" in anthropology simply by using the word, as if people can't read books on their own for knowledge and enjoyment. Project much?

Pro-tip: everyone has a degree these days, they aren't worth a whole lot these days.
>>
>>31044571
>being a soldier on the front lines is in no way, shape ir form a desireable position to be in

I don't know if I agree with that. IED's and artillery are concerning and all but it's a different experience than regular every day life.
I don't really have a lot of friends and can use the pay, and stuff to do that makes use of me.
Civilian world is pretty overwhelming with decisions about what to do and underwhelming with the amount of effort and money it costs to do shit.
>>
>>31044613
Strawman
Plenty of non whites advocating peace and lots of whites who are war mongers and preach hate.

Skin color does not define oneself
>>
>>31044891
Seconding. Some people want to be left alone. Some people love fighting.
>>
>>31044770
Fair enough. DESU anon, I'm tired and ornery as fuck and keep forgetting my arguments. midsentence, and not giving your points fair thought and credence. I think there's some argument regarding how seeing war as a method to self gain is related to violence as a method of gain, but I'm too sleepy-stupid to write it properly.

Tl;dr Anon is being a dick, and you'd probably be fun to debate with irl
>>
>>31043312
I know this is bait but I'll answer anyway because no doubt you'll convince some poor gullible idiot.

The tools and techniques of Man at war are applied biology. From germs to big cats to Man, the living kill to eat and to protect territory and resources. We are no different, and to pretend to be exempt from cause and effect, from the conservation of energy, is extremely childish. Go back to fantasy land where food and fuel comes out of a replicator.
>>
>>31043205

I've never been to war, I just fetishist about it.
And he was our best prez, so I'm tempted to believe.
>>
>>31045071

Now this is shitposting.
>>
File: 1469572250364.png (114KB, 480x348px) Image search: [Google]
1469572250364.png
114KB, 480x348px
>>31043205
sleeping peaceably, rough men, ready to do violence, etc etc.
>>
File: Jagsfan.jpg (41KB, 615x346px) Image search: [Google]
Jagsfan.jpg
41KB, 615x346px
>>31045128
>using a fake quote
>>
>>31043267
they use it's uglyness and brutality to romanticize it today.

that should tell you something about the nature of man
>>
File: 1465968655051.jpg (189KB, 1024x605px) Image search: [Google]
1465968655051.jpg
189KB, 1024x605px
>>31043312
I think humans will always find a way to glorify war, and warriors.
>>
>>31045191
>the nature of angst-ridden edgelords

There, FTFY
>>
>>31045201
They are a part of humanity, though.
>>
File: 1378477468324.jpg (870KB, 986x1369px) Image search: [Google]
1378477468324.jpg
870KB, 986x1369px
>>31045170
>quote
the point is that you can be anti conflict to any extent you desire, but you can only enjoy that privilege because men you would view as lesser beings were willing to do things you vehemently protest.

You don't become a superpower strictly by talking it out and being best buddies with everyone. Sometimes, you gotta do a little dick swinging.
>>
>>31045191
>>31043267
War is hell. But some men love it anyways. Humans are complicated. Go figure
>>
>>31045211
>free speech and humanist values only exist in superpower nations

In fact, American militarism has demonstrably eroded domestic liberties in the last half century.
>>
>>31045207

Just a small, fedora-tipping minority. "Nature of man" implies everyone.
>>
>>31043391
I bet that sounded really cool, echoing around in your head. Probably should have left it there.
>>
>>31045229
Name any nation with as much influence from a hard numbers perspective on the global economy as a whole as the US of A and tell me how clean their hands are.
>>
>>31045240
Oh sure you've never been romanticized by war.
>>
>>31043623
>Zimbabwe is the smartest country in Africa
behold the power of communism.
>>
>>31045263

Are you now saying the "privilege" you mention in your first post is global influence? Then kindly explain how one needs to live in a nation with huge global influence to espouse anti-militarist opinions.

Otherwise you just moved goalposts at the galactic scope.

Also feel free to address how American military adventures in the last half century has protected domestic liberties in any way whatsoever.
>>
File: Kyle1.jpg (101KB, 780x1040px) Image search: [Google]
Kyle1.jpg
101KB, 780x1040px
>>31045278

Nah, even a child with a tiny amount of intellectual curiosity can see through the militarist bullshit.

Then again, there are a lot of retards out there.
>>
>>31043256
>STEM for the win
Enjoy being press-ganged into weapon building
>>
>>31045357
>press-ganged
>>
>>31043205
>>31043205
I'm an Afghan vet and I thought war was pretty cool. Yeah, we lost a couple of guys. It fucking sucked. But would I go again, given the chance? Yes. Yes I would. Everything becomes so simple in war. You eat, sleep, survive, and look out for your pals. Then you come back to regular life and do stupid shit like work, paying bills, dealing with other people's bullshit, etc.
>>
>>31045387
The paperwork sucks though.
>>
War is sometimes necessary, I guess. No war would probably be the best though. I'm still fascinated by weapons and war tactics regardless, it's like an art form. If anything, I find the hippies love and peace utopia to be quite tasteless.
>>
I regularly have to convince myself that running off to fight ISIS is a fucking stupid idea.

I understand that I am physically unsuited for combat, and I'm not even a very good shot. I know it would probably be boring, miserable and occasionally terrifying. I understand my own mortality, I know I'm far from invincible and death would be likely.

But I constantly get that nagging feeling that I'm just sitting on my ass, doing nothing with my life waiting for someone else to solve the problem.

Basically, im a fucking idiot who makes myself cringe.
>>
>>31045467
You could work in defense-related fields, I guess. Don't have to be in direct combat.

I've always wanted to be an engineer who works for defense industries, preferably on aircraft propulsion/engine. But I'm also fucking stupid and doing maths literally gives me headache so I doubt I could ever make it.
>>
>>31043205
Go watch Game Dungeon's recent episode on Deus Ex and politics in it and how we live today.
>>
>>31045905
fug I haven't watched it yet, still on the Watch Later list.
Didn't know anybody on /k/ followed Ross
>>
>>31043391
Oh, and I bet the WW1 Artillery Officer who wrote the LOTR's didn't see shit because he wasn't in a bayonet charge or the Navy Officer who wrote Star Ship Troopers wasn't brave because he graduated the academy shortly before the war ended and just had bad luck of the draw being too ill for WW2 yet worked in the navy yard doing his bit for the war effort, but he didn't die on a boat torpedoed by the Japs, do his service dosen't count, right?
>>
War isn't about freedom. It's a tool for the rich to cull the poor. Glorifying something only done for slight political benefits to some rich people makes absolutely no sense to me. There's no honor in it. You're not dying for the freedom of your people, you're dying for the ones who don't give a damn about you or your people's well-being.
The only people who praise war are the idiots who believed the bullshit they were fed about it being a fight for glory and freedom.
>>
>>31044370

Why would anyone want a blade that long?

What happens when these people turn 30?

They can't act like that forever.
>>
>>31043786
Go baco to discord, QM
>>
>>31046518
>They can't act like that forever.
Wut? You speak as if you've never encountered a manchild or neckbeard, which is impossible because they constitute a good half of 4chans userbase.
>>
>>31046532

I just assume most of them are 17-21.

Nobody can surpass 30 and not feel like a tard doing that shit.

Maybe it has to do with where I live and my experiences.
>>
>>31045467
Training anon. You work on that muscle memory, you might as well improve. Of course, there are always support roles and defense contracts
>>
>>31043654
>>31043654
because guns is just as good as butter.

the business of america is business.
Thread posts: 109
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.