[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /k/ What's the smallest caliber that could easily take

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

Hey /k/
What's the smallest caliber that could easily take out a small black bear?
>>
.22 Short.

Stopping power is a meme, after all.
>>
>>31026202
.357 Magnum, black bears are kind of meek.
Hell, it's rare to even have to shoot one, almost every instance of a human running into a black bear can be ended by just shouting really loudly and the bear will just scamper off, they're very timid and cowardly like that.

.500 S&W would be overkill for a black bear honestly.
>>
>>31026445
Down does .500s&w perform out of that small of a barrel? Seems like most of the powder wouldn't even burn in time.
>>
>>31026202
>easily take out
That's the part nobody will agree on.
>>
What do you guys think would be more effective.
A 9mm or bear spray
>>
Smallest caliber?
17 HMR. Shot placement. And yes, with good shot placement, it's an easy takedown.
BUT...I think what you're getting at is "what caliber should I use if I just want to hit the bear anywhere and feel relatively confident I'll immediately disable or kill it?"
In that case, it isn't about caliber so much as ammo type. A smaller caliber rifle round may be much more effective than a larger caliber handgun round with less powder behind it. (Think sub-30 cal rifle rounds).
If you're hunting black bear, .243, .270, any of the 30-cal ranges like 30-30, 30-06, .308, maybe even .223.
If you're camping or hiking and want defense, practically anything. Black bears are rarely aggressive and generally easily frightened away. I've hiked in black bear country a lot - generally carried a snub .38, more for protection against humans, but I wouldn't have felt undergunned if I ran into a startled and angry black bear, either.
Now hiking in grizzly country is another story altogether. Yes, you can scare them off, but it isn't uncommon to see one who will continue to lurk, stalk, and size you up, and occasionally one pops up out of nowhere for a full charge - and you don't know whether it's a scare tactic or a full on assault. In that case, I'd want at minimum a longer barreled .357 (snub never develops decent velocity) with good ammo, I'd feel better with .44 magnum, and S&W 500 I'd feel secure.
An old buddy of mine once said the danger with black bears is if you get the jump on them, because they're pretty oblivious, easily startled, and just like humans react strangely when they get an adrenaline dump - some nearly crap themselves running, others act tough but generally look for an exit pronto. The problem with grizzlies is when they get the jump on you - you may never know that 800+ pound behemoth is spitting distance away from you until your entire world bursts into a flurry of fur, claws, and teeth.
>>
>>31026689
For black bear, no doubt bear spray is more effective. If one is close range, a shot will either miss and scare it or hit and roll the dice as to whether it flips out and attacks or lumbers off into the woods to die.
Honestly, I've had probably 20+ black bear encounters within 50-75 feet, including mothers with cubs, juveniles, and big lone bears, and I have yet to need to do anything more than yell and they're busting off into the woods. I've even just frozen and watched when it's obvious they don't notice me at first, then clear my throat or say "hi" in a normal speaking voice, same effect.
Close range, if you're uncomfortable, bear spray is the stuff. You don't always want or need to shoot, but a dose of bear spray can be used pretty well with impunity. I have a friend who had one trying to climb his deer stand with him in it. A quick spray and it fell off the stand and it high-tailed it making Chewbacca noises. Most hikers I've talked to that have used bear spray report similar immediate effectiveness.
No idea about bear spray with grizzlies; I'd say it's better than nothing but those things are badass, sometimes fearless, and can go from curious to angry in a heartbeat.
>>
File: IMG_20160118_224117.jpg (2MB, 1781x1781px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160118_224117.jpg
2MB, 1781x1781px
>>31026202
Here in east nc we regularly have 5-600lb black bear so I don't leave home without at least my 20ga wingmaster slug gun or my 527 in x39. If I'm out and about with bears in mind I'll take a 12ga full of slugs or my .300wsm. pic related is my non bear hunting candy ass Plott hound Mr. Foster.
>>
>>31026896
A .25 acp is better than your dick in your hands and stern language.
>>
File: 1469885323592.jpg (882KB, 1280x1714px) Image search: [Google]
1469885323592.jpg
882KB, 1280x1714px
>>31026202
The answer to his question really depends on what part of the country you're in and if you want a defensive weapon or a hunting weapon. Out west black bears have more competition and lob winters so they don't grow as large as the black bears in the south east.
>>
Here in BC Canada a 10 year old girl was brutally mauled by a mama bear. She almost killed the 10 year old. The sow was stopped by bystanders who smacked her in the head a few times. Conservation officers killed the sow using an un named method (likely a 12 gauge shotgun) and decided to spare her cubs.

>muh 45/70 on black bears
Lmfao an unarmed man could have done more damage to the 10 year old.
>>
>>31027376
>"Smacked her in the head a few times"
Sure...
>>
>>31026202
Smallest that can easily. We will take that to mean any ethical shot presented so id say a .243 or a .270
>>
20mm
>>
>>31026818
Barrel length is hugely important with larger rounds too. .357mag/.44mag out of an 18" lever gun is an entirely different animal than out of a 4" revolver.
>>
>>31026202
This >>31026540
But if hunting I would argue minimum being a 10mm/357 with the right load (hard cast lead on the hot side)
For hiking like others have said 9mm would probably work with a mag dump again you would want a hard round maybe a hot fmj load.

I small black bear is roughly the size of a largish man.

All of my encounters with black bears has resulted in then hauling ass away the second they notice me. Bear spray would also work.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.