[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /k/ think about Tactical Rifle/ Handgun training courses

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

File: 1439001836827.jpg (185KB, 1420x799px) Image search: [Google]
1439001836827.jpg
185KB, 1420x799px
What does /k/ think about Tactical Rifle/ Handgun training courses for civilians

Are these for the people who don't want to bust ass and knee in the military just so they know how to operate their weapon and are they worth more than $500 dollars a lesson?

Course stories?

How to not be that guy?

Paramilitaries and Militia used to be the mainstay of nation offense and defense for millennia, so why not now?

Other than that what about other basic stuff like survival and IFAK/first aid training. Am i leaving something out?
>>
File: 5_Academi-1024x682[1].jpg (181KB, 1024x682px) Image search: [Google]
5_Academi-1024x682[1].jpg
181KB, 1024x682px
>>31026142

I am former military and I took the Academi Combo Rifle/Handgun 5 day course.

It was filled with try hard civilians, Veterans who were bored and wanted to wear their gear again, Cops playing cosplay, Cops playing cosplay but actually part of tactical teams, and people who were looking for employment as Security Contractors.
>>
>>31026160
Did it teach you useful skills? I missed my chance to enlist, but I'd still love to learn how to fight.
>>
>>31026142

I've been to a bunch of classes. I use a local school (who have good instructors), and they get guest instructors regularly (patmac, panonne, vickers, ayoob, vogel, langdon, etc)

I love them. I have a great time, and I often do it with 1-4 friends. It's an awesome day or two (longest was 4 days), and I always learn some stuff.

Do they make you better? Yes, but you really need to take what you learn and practice it.

At the end of the day, most shooters are in it as a hobby. It's a fun as hell, you learn a bunch, and shoot a fuck ton.

Also, I'm from a no-guns family. I've had to teach myslef, and contrary what somepeople say, I don't think a magazine, youtube video, or forum can teach you as well as spending 8 structured hours a day on the range with teachers who can spot your problems quickly, and help you overcome them.
>>
File: banner[1].jpg (231KB, 1030x530px) Image search: [Google]
banner[1].jpg
231KB, 1030x530px
>>31026169

Its like boot camp, SOI, your first unit mandatory training, your first FX, and your first deployment wrapped into 5 days.

Except none of that.

They teach you how to fight with a Rifle/Handgun combo (with plate carrier and ammo) for 2 days, 3 days of teaching you drills at the range. On the last day there is a kill house but no simulation munition, just pop up targets.

They teach you how to work in small 5-6 man squads and typically the people who act as the 1 man in those squads is the hardest try hard or the most experienced student.

Its good if you've never trained in killing other people, but its not infantry training.

Its like 2,000 bucks to shoot in an training center normally reserved for people at the Tactical level, with former military/police training.

(Fun Fact: You can tell who has military training and who has police only training, because there are some clear drill related giveaways.)
>>
>>31026289
What are those giveaways, if you don't mind me asking.
>former nasty girl here.
>>
>>31026313

Military stoppage drills are like tattooed onto the brains of military personnel, you got guys who have been out of the service for years who can clear a jam way faster than a cop.

Military guys tend to clear stoppages/jams during drill action.

Cops like stop what they are doing or transition to there handgun like its a movie, in some drills they don't even want you to do that, clearing a stoppage while under fire is really, really important.

Cops tend to talk a lot more than military guys or try to use jargon they don't understand to fit in.

Cops are big with firing a lot of rounds too, they'll go full retard if they are not told so.
>>
Cool shit if you go because you want to learn and have fun, but you know you're not an OPERATOR or a sheepdawg and all that horseshit.

But if you're a LARPing faggot in full Crye and shit going to run your platform and shake down your gear at a tactical carbean course then fuck your shit.
>>
>>31026482

You just described 60% of the people who go to these kinds of training.
>>
>>31026289
Thats a lot of Tavors.
>>
>>31026711

Most of the courses tell you to bring something in .223/5.56 but people bring all kinds of fucking crazy shit.
>>
I feel like once you have done as much drilling and training on your own (assuming non-mil) and get to the point that you can't really progress more, then classes are ok, but you shouldn't jump in as a new shooter
>>
>>31026978

This kind of training is not for a new shooter, you should know your weapon systems very well before trying to get into rapid drills, kill house training, and small squad movement.
>>
>>31027006
That's what I said
>>
>>31027006
Some of that stuff I wouldn't even trust experienced shooters with live ammo.
>>
>>31027055

How can you train for real situations if you aren't willing to put yourself in harms way?

All the stuff they teach is applicable,the level of training is not accessible (if you tried to set up this kind of training privately, you'd probably get arrested for terrorist training), but its just not going to make you an infantry grunt.
>>
Is it mandatory to serve in the military to be considered an "operator"?
>>
>>31026449
kek

I can do "SPORTS" in my sleep

Thanks Sgt. Soto
>>
>>31027089
Specifically I would be concerned about shoot houses. Even seasoned grunts go through these scenarios tons of times dry and with blanks before they're allowed to use live ammunition. . . and even then there's often times one fucking guy nobody wants on their team.
>>
>>31027105
No, you just have to have at least once instance of true operating under your belt.
>>
>>31027089
I should also note that even fairly elaborate training scenarios are nothing like real life. Even if you're not aware of it huge concessions are made for safety on every range.
>>
>>31026169

he wants to operate but mom won't let him
>>
>>31026230

What is your yearly salary?
>>
>>31026289

Elaborate on fun fact?
>>
>>31028349

See

>>31026449
>>
>>31028328

more than you wannabe
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.